• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people excited about starfield?

OceanGaming

if you think that this is an hardcore rpg feature then you must not have played alot of rpgs , go play some rpgs from the 90's - early 00's , almost all of them have this option
How many percent of those 90s RPGs did let you pick they/them options, for example? I'm relatively young and not a westerner so i did not grew up with all those niche games that had that option, so if you could provide some examples and i will check them out. And no, picking either a girl or a boy does not count, it has to be they/them.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

How many percent of those 90s RPGs did let you pick they/them options, for example? I'm relatively young and not a westerner so i did not grew up with all those niche games that had that option, so if you could provide some examples and i will check them out. And no, picking either a girl or a boy does not count, it has to be they/them.
if you think that im gonna waste my time searching for all the 90's rpgs that use pronouns your mistaken

jhjfss

If its a Elder Scrolls / Fallout in space and you go from planet to planet, ship to ship raiding for shit and doing quest in space? Day 1. I'm also ok if its not that if its actually something interesting. It will take a lot to get me to ignore it tbh.

"Bethesda Game Studios Executive Producer Todd Howard stated that Starfield is "like 'Skyrim' in space" in an interview with The Washington Post, but noted it will also be much more robust. The game aims to deal with large themes about life beyond the stars and have a wealth of lore built into it "

OceanGaming

if you think that im gonna waste my time searching for all the 90's rpgs that use pronouns your mistaken
If you think i will accept your bs about RPGs having those options, YOU are the one that is mistaken. There are practically NONE. And now that i proved how much of a LIAR you are, i'm done with you.

Last edited:

Pallas

i just cant be excited about a game that only has a trailer and some concept arts , the same goes for fable , wolverine , avowed
spider man 2 only has a teaser but we know how the prequel was so we can expect it will good
Sorry if already posted, I get that and normally I’d keep my hype in check but it’s Bethesda we are talking about. Granted Fallout 76 didn’t set the world on fire(and I never touched it) but personally I love the rest of their games and this is their first new IP in what….? 20+ years?

Also

I know they aren’t perfect, but the lack of gameplay is their method. If that’s your concern, realize that’s just how they do stuff. They don’t show too much until it gets close to their lunch window.

kingfey

Banned
Because of the quality of games from the games industry recently. I completely understand why someone would say they're not hyped for it.
Not really. It's something else, which has to do on September 2020.
People were excited for starfield before that day.

Bethesda Game Studios has never missed. Not once. The main team, which is the one in Maryland, has made nothing but excellent games all the way up to Fallout 4.

Fallout 76 wasn't developed by them, but was instead made by Bethesda Game Studios in Austin with only oversight and general direction from Maryland.

Because of the quality of games from the games industry recently. I completely understand why someone would say they're not hyped for it.
Lol that makes no sense considering everyone is gobbling up elden ring that has a lot of issues from optimization to bugs. It’s sitting at a 97 meta and it’s probably the game most people are sinking their time into at the moment. Also we don’t know how Microsoft quality control over that project also it’s not being made for multiple platforms which should allow that game to ship in a as good a state as it can.

kingfey

Banned
Lol that makes no sense considering everyone is gobbling up elden ring that has a lot of issues from optimization to bugs. It’s sitting at a 97 meta and it’s probably the game most people are sinking their time into at the moment. Also we don’t know how Microsoft quality control over that project also it’s not being made for multiple platforms which should allow that game to ship in a as good a state as it can.
Bethesda games always has bugs, because of creation engine. That engine is an old horse now.
They need a new engine sadly. But that would mean losing access to moding.

mortal

Gold Member
Might be cool, but I remain unconvinced by all the hype until I see real uninterrupted gameplay. No "in-engine" cinematic trailers or target renders nonsense.
Hopefully, we won't have to wait much longer.

Chukhopops

So it's like Mass Effect?
Mass Effect 1 wasn’t really open world, it was a succession of small maps. 2 and 3 were more shooter-based with some RPG elements.

I think the structure would be closer to Andromeda with some large open world planets and quests / hubs / etc.

I know people shit on Andromeda but personally I loved it more than ME3 for example.

McCarth

The premise sounds awesome and it’s far more fun and enjoyable in life to be optimistic about something. If the game turns out crap, ah well, who cares and move on.

Not sure why this is difficult to understand.

Mass Effect 1 wasn’t really open world, it was a succession of small maps. 2 and 3 were more shooter-based with some RPG elements.

I think the structure would be closer to Andromeda with some large open world planets and quests / hubs / etc.

I know people shit on Andromeda but personally I loved it more than ME3 for example.
That's just because ME3 is shit and Andromeda is even shittier but has a great combat loop.

If Starfield manages to capture even a fraction of ME1 feeling, it's going to be a blast.

People less excited than usual are just still salty about the acquisition.

That's really all there is to it, since Bethesda games, buggy or not, always sell like hotcakes and are loved on any platform.

Caio

I think you mean Horizon and Elden Ring :) I'm excited about Starfield, I hope it will be a great Game.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
i just cant be excited about a game that only has a trailer and some concept arts , the same goes for fable , wolverine , avowed
spider man 2 only has a teaser but we know how the prequel was so we can expect it will good

Starfield only has a teaser but we know how the many Bethesda single player RPGs offer great immersion, have huge open worlds that offer incredible exploration and choices that actually matter, are some of the highest rated, fantastic selling and usually dominate the GotY awards, so we can expect it will be great and THAT is why WRPG fans can be excited.

Reason to be excited for a Bethesda RPG is same reason to be excited for a FROM souls game. They have their own magic that no one's been able to imitate (well except for New Vegas)

Starfield is still an unknown though admittedly. Not really sure what to except from it. Skyrim in space is such a blanket term that doesn't really help. Not a fan of the "grounded" setting they're apparently going for either. Space games need to have that fantasy aspect with lots of different species to keep me interested.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Oh god when will this handwringing end? If someone who considers themselves a gamer hasn't found ANYTHING to respect their time in the last few years, then they aren't looking.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Same reason to be excited for a Bethesda RPG is same reason to be excited for a FROM souls game. They have their own magic that no one's been able to imitate (well except for New Vegas)

Starfield is still an unknown though admittedly. Not really sure what to except from it. Skyrim in space is such a blanket term that doesn't really help. Not a fan of the "grounded" setting they're apparently going for either. Space games need to have that fantasy aspect with lots of different species to keep me interested.
Yeah the bold + the fact this won't be based on 1 big "map" most likely, which is a big chunk of that magic in their games IMO. Start in one corner, but right from the start go to the other corner.. if you dare. I hope they pull that off in Starfield but Howard making it sound like space travel requires resource management has me not really thrilled for that part of the direction.

Although they have confirmed "aliens" to some extent; likely at least fighting off alien animals on different planets, whether there are interactions with highly intelligent aliens is still not confirmed but there is an alien element.

WoOwE71.jpg

EDMIX

"Bethesda Game Studios Executive Producer Todd Howard stated that Starfield is "like 'Skyrim' in space" in an interview with The Washington Post, but noted it will also be much more robust. The game aims to deal with large themes about life beyond the stars and have a wealth of lore built into it "
Muthafucking HYPE! lol

Day 1. Well until I see more and if all goes well with those previews.

If its just like the concepts from Elder Scrolls, Fallout etc, day 1 lol No fucks given.

I love everything about space. Movies, documentaries, anything. Space based games as well and this happens to be a game by a well known studio that have experience in creating vast open worlds so I'm excited what they can do with a space based RPG.

What I'm expecting is Skyrim + No Man Sky. That would be my ideal game. Would be cool if there would be planets that are just there for mining or resource gathering and nothing else. I'd be happy with that.

Mass Effect Andromeda is still poo and leaves a sour taste in my mouth. What a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

ZehDon

If you have to ask why people might be excited for the next game from the makers of industry-shaking hits like Skyrim and Fallout 3, where the limited information we have available paints an aesthetic described as 'NASA Punk' in a solar-system designed to be explored, I really have to ask... what are you really asking? Because the answer to thread title is painfully self-evident.

"Why are people excited for Nintendo's next game?"
"Why are people excited for Insomniac's next game?"
"Why are people excited for From Software's next game?"

Because developers who have decades of history of making terrific games are likely to continue making terrific games, and people are - strangely enough - interested in playing games that are terrific?

Merkades

I like space operas, so I have some interest...But I don't like Bethesda. Boggles my mind how many people always support them, then whine and complain about their janky broke games and then buy another 10 million or more copies. Over and over again.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Here's samoilaaa samoilaaa 's idea of insightful game commentary:

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

If you have to ask why people might be excited for the next game from the makers of industry-shaking hits like Skyrim and Fallout 3, where the limited information we have available paints an aesthetic described as 'NASA Punk' in a solar-system designed to be explored, I really have to ask... what are you really asking? Because the answer to thread title is painfully self-evident.

"Why are people excited for Nintendo's next game?"
"Why are people excited for Insomniac's next game?"
"Why are people excited for From Software's next game?"

Because developers who have decades of history of making terrific games are likely to continue making terrific games, and people are - strangely enough - interested in playing games that are terrific?

Agreed, Bethesda has made some of the most successful games of all time, by every metric (Sales, $$, Hours Played, etc.). Those players are excited about Starfield.

Last edited:
I like space operas, so I have some interest...But I don't like Bethesda. Boggles my mind how many people always support them, then whine and complain about their janky broke games and then buy another 10 million or more copies. Over and over again.
I don’t really care about technical jankiness if the game is good enough - which is where Bethesda games usually land - From as well I’m finding. But they are funny to make fun of

iHaunter

I can't speak for others, but I'm excited (Mildly) because we get very few space games. Allegedly "Open World" space games at that.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Skyrim was a huge downgrade in regards to being an actual RPG, Fallout 4 was complete trash and then there's the '' MMO '' fallout game that was another disaster.
Being hype about a new open world Bethesda game is kinda setting yourself up for disappointment.

Topher

Gold Member
Skyrim was a huge downgrade in regards to being an actual RPG, Fallout 4 was complete trash and then there's the '' MMO '' fallout game that was another disaster.
Being hype about a new open world Bethesda game is kinda setting yourself up for disappointment.

Aren't you projecting your own feelings towards Skyrim and Fallout 4 onto others though? Skyrim and Fallout 4 were met with massive amounts of praise from gamers and critics alike. So why should folks who enjoyed the previous games from Bethesda (excluding the MMO) expect to be disappointed?

Ps5ProFoSho

I'm going to buy a Series S just for this game (probably other exclusives also)
So yeah...I think just the pure mystery and hype has me ready, and I really doubt Bethesda will Cyberpunk themselves either so...

Top Bottom