• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are Sony and Nintendo so anti consumer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeOf9

Just wondering why they suck so much.

Don't get me wrong, I like their actual products. The games they make are some of the best in the industry. Their hardware is always cool (love Sony's emphasis on cutting edge, and Nintendo's emphasis on novelty and new paradigms). Their stuff is usually so good I'll always buy it to play the Sony and Nintendo games that interest me.

But why are these companies so anti consumer? Their policies are shit across the board. Terrible pricing for games (Nintendo refuses to drop prices, Sony led the charge to $70 games and is also starting to adopt Nintendo style lack of price cuts), bad online services (PS Plus Premium or whatever it's called is a joke, and Nintendo's online is like 1999 dialup level), bad backward compatibility records (both are so shitty and inconsistent at this), making you rebuy stuff you've already bought (Nintendo made you buy your VC stuff like 30 times, Sony refuses to honour PS Classics purchases, and also doesn't support cross-gen purchases, making you pay $10 to upgrade), not fully communicating with the customer (Sony hid the cross-gen status of several PS5 "exclusives" they announced to hype up the system until after people had already put in preorders, Nintendo had the audacity to charge $50 for their more expensive online service without telling anyone what's even on it).

Like, I love PlayStation and Nintendo consoles and games. But I hate their actual businesses.

P.S. before someone brings this up because I know they will 9000%, I have no shits to give for MS and Xbox here; Sony and Nintendo register for me because they at least make cool shit, I don't remember the last time MS did anything that interests me, so I don't even know or care if they are PS/Nintendo level bad with a lot of this stuff, they might as well not exist for me.

T4keD0wN

Its their job to be as anti-consumer as possible since they are both publicly traded companies and as market leaders they can get away with it.

Nintendo has no real competition to keep them in check and Sony does, but theyre still too dominant despite that. Xbox are the only ones who have to be more consumer friendly as theyre the ones who are behind.

If either of these werent the market leaders they wouldnt be so predatory.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Capitalism. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect. But it is the system we are under. If you think you have a better Idea lets go. No corporation I have seen is perfect, and that certainly includes Microsoft.

LakeOf9

what did Nintendo do that's anti-consumer?
But why are these companies so anti consumer? Their policies are shit across the board. Terrible pricing for games (Nintendo refuses to drop prices, Sony led the charge to $70 games and is also starting to adopt Nintendo style lack of price cuts), bad online services (PS Plus Premium or whatever it's called is a joke, and Nintendo's online is like 1999 dialup level), bad backward compatibility records (both are so shitty and inconsistent at this), making you rebuy stuff you've already bought (Nintendo made you buy your VC stuff like 30 times, Sony refuses to honour PS Classics purchases, and also doesn't support cross-gen purchases, making you pay $10 to upgrade), not fully communicating with the customer (Sony hid the cross-gen status of several PS5 "exclusives" they announced to hype up the system until after people had already put in preorders, Nintendo had the audacity to charge $50 for their more expensive online service without telling anyone what's even on it).

Killer8

We pay less for games than ever, gamers just think their industry is somehow immune to inflation:

p6XbAoG.jpg

No one likes price hikes but $70 (and the inevitable $80) are perfectly understandable prices in this economic climate.

Fbh

No big company is "pro consumer".
They are all profit driven and will do whatever they believe will make them the most money. Switch is ridiculously popular, Ps4 was one of the most successful Sony consoles and Ps5 is leading next gen. Sony and Nintendo have no incentive to be more "pro consumer" because the average consumer seems to be perfectly happy with what they are offering now.

The only reason MS is more consumer friendly in some aspects is that Xbox One lagged significantly behind Ps4 and Sony is still leading this gen. So being seen as consumer friendly is in their interest as it's a form of competitive advantage.

If Xbox Series X were to start significantly and consistently outselling ps5 you'd see Sony "magically" becoming more consumer friendly

Last edited:

TexMex

Good grief.

I swear some of you think these are non-profit charities.

Seriously. "Anti-consumer" became this insanely annoying buzz word for gamers who don't understand economics. It's used hilariously liberally.

They make - as OP puts it - best in class games. They make the best, they charge for it. They make money, we have fun. I do not see the problem here. You aren't owed any more than that.

Don't forget MS they led the charge in the 360 era charging $60 also led charging for online service and MP in the 360 era. The online in the PS3 was free. All the people back then said the online of the 360 was better... obviously you had to pay for it. Meanwhile the ps3 was fee...
They also tried to double the price of Live Gold, and when there was outcry they instead sneakily removed the ability to buy Gold by the year so there was still a significant price hike. They are only kept at bay because they are the underdog.

Sakura

We pay less for games than ever, gamers just think their industry is somehow immune to inflation:

p6XbAoG.jpg

No one likes price hikes but $70 (and the inevitable $80) are perfectly understandable prices in this economic climate.
Games sell a hell of a lot more than they did in the past (and also have plenty more microtransactions etc), so they are actually making more money than they used to.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nintendo always considered their game a higher standard than the rest of the industry and keeping price locked. Recently they made some discounts with Mario Day and also the game voucher program. Your other option for Nintendo is waiting 5+ years so you at least don’t regret buying day one.

As for Sony, the game will go down from that ridiculous $70 in a short period if not digital then definitely physical if not hitting their service in a year or so. That’s why waiting is best when it comes to non-nintendo games in general. Sony price strategy is so ridiculous that a game that was open for pre-orders at $70 turned F2P with Plus.

As for online Nintendo has been like this for long. Don’t expect their major games to hit a subscription service. On the other hand, you can play a lot of 1st party Sony games on Extra subscription for and more to come.

Sakura

Games cost so much more to make them in the past.
Even with that taken into consideration they are still making way more money. How many copies do you think a game like Link to the Past sold vs Breath of the Wild? It's like 5 million to 30 million. Even if BotW had a 1 billion dollar budget, it still makes more money for "only" 60 dollars in todays money.

scydrex

They also tried to double the price of Live Gold, and when there was outcry they instead sneakily removed the ability to buy Gold by the year so there was still a significant price hike. They are only kept at bay because they are the underdog.
Oh yeah... forgot about that one. Yep!

G-Bus

Banned
They're not in business to give you a great gaming experience. They're in business to make money. Period.

Not entirely true. One leads to the other.

They could be more like Microsoft but why? There's not real incentive there for them. Hardware sells and the games review and sell great.

Last edited:
Yea... Those "anti-consumer" practices that you listed aren't really all that anti consumer. That's why they are so successful nowadays and people (for the most part) enjoy the systems.

Side note, I do not understand why people complain about pricing in video games. Gaming has quite literally never been cheaper. Games are getting bigger in scope, offer more play time than games in the past and have gone up what, 20 bucks over the last 20/25 years. Accounting for inflation, gaming is a much more affordable hobby than in the past. Then you can also consider legit quality free to play games that are out, or gaming services which gives people a huge catalog of games for about 10 to $15 a month. It's crazy, feel like I am in a different planet sometimes when I see people complain about that.

Don't forget MS they led the charge in the 360 era charging $60 also led charging for online service and MP in the 360 era. The online in the PS3 was free. All the people back then said the online of the 360 was better... obviously you had to pay for it. Meanwhile the ps3 was free.
Yes. A company offers a service. They charge a price. You choose if the service is worth the price or not.

None of this is anti-consumer.

brian0057

Banned
I'm not sure I would classify Nintendo not dropping their prices "anti-consumer".
They're selling their products at prices they see people are willing to pay. That's textbook economics.
But I agree with the rest to some degree... except for Sony. I don't play their games or buy their consoles so I don't know and don't care to know.

Imagine pretending Microsoft is "pro-consumer" when they:

- invented paying for playing online with original Xbox Live
- tried to force paying for playing online on PC gamers with Games for Windows Live
- use proprietary storage since the OG Xbox until today
- tried to force always online and no more used games with Xbox One
- force you to buy your own batteries for Xbox controllers
- buy studios to deny exclusive titles to other platforms

Last edited:

phaedrus

Just wondering why they suck so much.

Don't get me wrong, I like their actual products. The games they make are some of the best in the industry. Their hardware is always cool (love Sony's emphasis on cutting edge, and Nintendo's emphasis on novelty and new paradigms). Their stuff is usually so good I'll always buy it to play the Sony and Nintendo games that interest me.

Like, I love PlayStation and Nintendo consoles and games. But I hate their actual businesses.

P.S. before someone brings this up because I know they will 9000%, I have no shits to give for MS and Xbox here; Sony and Nintendo register for me because they at least make cool shit, I don't remember the last time MS did anything that interests me, so I don't even know or care if they are PS/Nintendo level bad with a lot of this stuff, they might as well not exist for me.
ONT747I.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom