• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Bill and Ted Face the Music Traded Sons for Daughters

brap

Banned
Beautiful.

"I'd like to pretend they were always girls. They weren't always girls. We assumed, because we were adolescent boys when we wrote Excellent Adventure, and we were barely post-adolescent boys when we wrote Bogus Journey, of course we assumed they were going to be boys. They happened to be played by girls, interestingly. Candace and Lauren Mead played those characters. But regardless, look, we were immature adolescent males. And so we wrote an immature adolescent male fantasy. 30 years pass. Life changes. The world changes. We change, we grow up, we get married, we have children, we have sons, we have daughters. And of course our culture evolves, as it should."

"We still, in 2009 and 2010, we thought, 'Let's write them as boys.' Because that's what we figured! Young Will and Theo. And I cannot tell you how boring they work. Oh God derivative. Stale. We tried to give them like Bill and Ted type voices. Just unbelievably like rehashed crap. We hated it. We tried to make them into cool guys. That was stupid. And then when we finally had the idea a few years later, 'Wait, why are we beating our heads against the wall with this? What if they had daughters? What if it's Billie and Thea?' It just opened it up completely. So that's much better idea. And it helped us with something we were trying and to do anyway with the movie, which is -- the first two movies, they are male centric. They were written by boys who knew no better. And so this also gave us a chance to go, 'Let's just widen it, man. Let's like, let there be more of a female presence and just make it more inclusive."

#Phonepunk#

Banned
fine with me. i dont mind the daughters.

but where are the Princesses? if this is some more broken family shit i might skip it. Bill & Ted used to have a core of optimism. i don't need more nihilist bullshit.

i found out i have cancer a year ago. my brother got divorced earlier this year. i don't need a movie to tell me "life doesn't always work out"

please tell me the princesses are still married to them? honestly i would rather know ahead of time whether to get ready for another bummer.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Bought the VOD (since only 5 bucks more then renting), enjoyed it a lot. Was it as good as the old ones? Maybe not that good, but honestly much better then it had any right being

Dthomp

I've got friends saying it's great and they hate SJW trash.

I get what they were saying though, had the kids been boys it would have felt even worse of a rehash. There was a bit of rehash already with the girls, but them being kinda dopey versions of their fathers is more endearing then a couple more male Bill and Teds. This didn't feel anywhere near pandering IMO, just a fun heartfelt movie that feels like old 80s early 90s flicks.

oagboghi2

fine with me. i dont mind the daughters.

but where are the Princesses? if this is some more broken family shit i might skip it. Bill & Ted used to have a core of optimism. i don't need more nihilist bullshit.

i found out i have cancer a year ago. my brother got divorced earlier this year. i don't need a movie to tell me "life doesn't always work out"

please tell me the princesses are still married to them? honestly i would rather know ahead of time whether to get ready for another bummer.
I'm pretty sure They are both in, but the actresses changed.

Also, why do Hollywood writers sound like they are in a fucking cult

"I used to be a stupid boy for wrote things for stupid boys, but then I got older, wiser, more mature and realized I secretly hate men. We wrote daughters as penance for our sin of assuming people would be happy giving birth to a son. Eww uggh so nineties."

cryptoadam

Banned
The characters sucked. Instead of making them copies how about give them their own personalites and story arc.

It felt like those Jim Carrey recast movies with the girls doing bad impressions of Bill and Ted.

And of course their Mary Sues. And they had to make them as androgynous as possible not really emphasising femininity. And 0 connection between the mother and daughters.

carlosrox

Banned
They were fine. Nothing special really.

The retcon was dumb and pandery but at the same time they might have a point that Bill & Ted Jr could have been too rehash-y. Not that changing their sex really changes anything anyway... Oh and for the record I didn't care about their offspring regardless of sex. I wanna see Bill & Ted, I don't care about their kids.

I thought they were likeable enough, Ted's daughter seemed more comfortable in the role than Bill's.

But I really enjoyed the movie and was really impressed by some scenes.

Caught the feels a number of times. I absolutely love the post credits.

Top Bottom