• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why buy a Gaming Headset?

which one do YOU perfer?

• Gaming Headset

Votes: 67 41.4%
  • Audiophile Headphones

Votes: 95 58.6%

• Total voters

Mr.ODST

I have 4

Turtle Beach X10
Turtlebeach 700X
Steelseries 9X
Astro A50

All of them are miles above your normal headsets, I work in esports so I guess my peripherals have to be high end.

REDRZA MWS

I like the way you stated above with confidence and i want to agree with you as i just ordered BnO, but i doubt on the sound front (because you never stated you tired penrose).

I say this after using penrose for just under a year. There is nothing like it on the sound front, the sound is the best you can buy on the market, everything else is just terrible. The battery life is annoyingly low, the clamps where hard as hell, and the build quality is terrible. No matter how savvy you are with you tech, they just break. I read it everywhere about the hinge giving up and i thought they were just careless people manhandling their techs and thought it'd happen to me and yet here i am, giving it up for BnO.

Like i said, i would like to trust you on the sound front but after trying penrose, anything even close to it is a win.
Enjoy them man! Premium headsets all around for sure!

Quasicat

I did bump into this other day on my internet travels: AudioBox: Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Adapter for Xbox (XB1/XSX/XSS/Elite 2) Controllers | Skull & Co.

Not ideal and I think it only allows use of the integrated mic, but for single player games might be fine. Reviews seem OK minus the mic bit.
Thanks for the post; This is perfect as I don’t chat on multiplayer. I have a friend with really terrible headphones that cut out constantly as he moves his controller. Instead, I call them on the phone and we use the conference call feature. Otherwise, I’m almost exclusively single player.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Not everybody is an audiophile or cares as deeply about sound quality and mic quality as some folks here do.

Sometimes people just want something that works in a quick easy package. They play games, see something advertised for games and they buy it.

This is a simple question to answer.

Digfox

Thanks for the post; This is perfect as I don’t chat on multiplayer. I have a friend with really terrible headphones that cut out constantly as he moves his controller. Instead, I call them on the phone and we use the conference call feature. Otherwise, I’m almost exclusively single player.
Np. I do have a couple of their Switch case bundles and the quality is good. Their Switch BT adapter also reviews well, which is all good signs.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Audiophile > "gaming" headphones. No regrets here.
iu

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know if you have tried wired open back headphones for gaming but once you do you wont go back, wires or not IF you can have sound leaking from your headset and not bothering others

Bumping this thread just to say you were right. I bought a pair of Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones just to try some open back headphones at along last. The difference is a bit mind blowing. Yeah, I have to get used to being wired, but so far I'm thinking the trade off is an easy one considering the sound quality.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Bumping this thread just to say you were right. I bought a pair of Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones just to try some open back headphones at along last. The difference is a bit mind blowing. Yeah, I have to get used to being wired, but so far I'm thinking the trade off is an easy one considering the sound quality.
your bump was justified. there's nothign like open backs for the best soundstage and 3d sound. It also ultimately proves me right :messenger_tongue:

I plan on getting both types because i like immersion but my home can be noisy sometimes

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The soundstage created by open backs are unmatched and I still really love my Philips SHP9500 that I paid like $50 for and even though I have more expensive sets for gaming those Philips are still my go to set

Currently $68 on Amazon for anyone else wanting to try open backs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENMK1DW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Topher

Gold Member
The soundstage created by open backs are unmatched and I still really love my Philips SHP9500 that I paid like $50 for and even though I have more expensive sets for gaming those Philips are still my go to set

Currently $68 on Amazon for anyone else wanting to try open backs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENMK1DW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was considering those, along with the newer SHP9600 that are also selling at a really good price.

I may still give those a try. The build quality isn't supposed to be as good as the X2s but the X2s are heavier and that the heft is one thing I'm noticing.

I have two main pairs of headphones right now, both wired. I might go for wireless noise cancelling one day but only if Sonos makes a pair or if the airpod max goes on sale. For deep discount.

HyperX Cloud - Got these for $60 back in 2014 and still rocking them today. Was using the faux leather cups for PC gaming for some sound isolation. I haven’t used my PC for gaming in quite some time but found that these are perfect for my PS4/PS5 when playing late at night as not to disturb my family. Turns out the cable length before the adapter is short and perfect for plugging into the DS4 and dual sense.

Sennheiser HD 598 - Legendary BF sale nabbed me these for $100 and they have been my go to choice for any thing I want to listen with headphones - mostly music nowadays. I plug these into my guitar amp, my phone, PC, and sometimes my PS5. The cable is very long and needs a 3.5mm adapter which makes it bulky, but it’s my best quality headphones and the open back design is unmatched in terms of soundstage. They’re also the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever worn in my life - I’ve never been fatigued by them even though I wear them at work all day every day.

Tams

Fantastic choice.

Those headphones are great. Comfy, balanced but not flat and boring, and come with a nice detachable cable. Glad to hear you're liking them!

I've bought SteelSeries nova, I use them for work and gaming. Really happy with them

Also have these Philips open air headphones with a standalone mic that was recommended but even though they sound good, I don't like open-air

Last edited:

Garibaldi

I run some Steel series Nova Pro Wireless ANCs with aftermarket gel ear pads on my PC. Pretty good. Not as good as my work Bose QCs but good enough. Has alternative Bluetooth connectivity so I can switch to the Steam Deck nice and seamlessly too.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I run some Steel series Nova Pro Wireless ANCs with aftermarket gel ear pads on my PC. Pretty good. Not as good as my work Bose QCs but good enough. Has alternative Bluetooth connectivity so I can switch to the Steam Deck nice and seamlessly too.

I tried the Xbox variety of those but couldn't justify the price for a headset that only worked with one platform. Probably the most comfortable headset I've ever worn though.

Last edited:

Sophist

Audiophile > "gaming" headphones. No regrets here.
iu

Back in the days, Gaming headsets were a scam; cost a lot for something cheap. Then out of nowhere QPAD, which was known for its mousepads, released the QH-1339. It was a rebrand of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 coupled to a microphone and a USB sound card, a huge step-up compared the other gaming headset of that era. Sadly, the headset went unnoticed and did not raise gamers quality standards. I went to lan parties with that headset, people were always telling me "Qpad does headsets now? dude buy Steelseries or Razer like the pros". It was distressing.

12120813843l3qflo.jpg

Lasha

Also, not sure where this fucking myth of "audiophile" gear being cheap is even supposed to come from.
More often than not even just a pair of good headphones with no microphone included can cost even twice as much as most mid-tier gaming headsets.

Good audio gear is pretty cheap on the second hand market. A used SM58 and basic interface can be found for around US$100 if you shop around. Decent headphones can range from $50 used to insanity. New prices are nuts but people cycle out gear pretty quickly especially now that influencer culture is a thing. I have a small studio setup for work that I put together cheaply out of the ruins of some streamer's dream.

KaiserBecks

For my Series X I guess I have the best of both worlds. I use the Bang&Olefsun Portals. Expensive, “audiophile”, but I would have never got them if they weren’t specifically designed to work with my Series X. They are great. Super lightweight and comfortable. Totally wireless with a really long battery life, noise cancelling, great sound. Again, they were really expensive BUT, I only purchased them because they are designed to work with my Xbox.
P5NSF6H.jpg

7rFPWbe.jpg

The "mic" is absolute garbage though. They are not worth the money in my opinion, but they are on sale on a regular basis.

I was looking at something like those Philips SHP9500 headphones when replacing my Sony WH-L600 a while back, but I ended up just upgrading to Sony MDR-HW700DS. The Philips would be simpler for home use, but I was sold on the receiver that comes with the Sony headphones for the additional audio/visual ports and support for LPCM 7.1/Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA. Work good for games but really comes alive for UHD playback. Stereo performance is weirdly naff though, I've tried Dolby Pro Logic II with music a few times, but I got gifted Beats Studio3 from work so just use those for music now seen as I mainly listen on the go.

My nephew has had like 4 pairs of 'gaming' headsets past couple of years so bought plenty enough of them as it is even if I don't use them myself :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Tams

I was looking at something like those Philips SHP9500 headphones when replacing my Sony WH-L600 a while back, but I ended up just upgrading to Sony MDR-HW700DS. The Philips would be simpler for home use, but I was sold on the receiver that comes with the Sony headphones for the additional audio/visual ports and support for LPCM 7.1/Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA. Work good for games but really comes alive for UHD playback. Stereo performance is weirdly naff though, I've tried Dolby Pro Logic II with music a few times, but I got gifted Beats Studio3 from work so just use those for music now seen as I mainly listen on the go.

My nephew has had like 4 pairs of 'gaming' headsets past couple of years so bought plenty enough of them as it is even if I don't use them myself :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Can't really go wrong with Sony for audio, so no need to feel bad there. Still wouldn't buy their gaming headsets though.

Phillips are much more of an unknown and unexpected, especially as they've exited the consumer market in many areas over the years.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cable? Never more.
Pulse 3d sounds so good, I compared it to few wired headphones running on fii0 e10k and I can't hear the difference.... There is no lag, hiss, distortion.
It's all there, integrated to ps5. Pick up, turn on, put on head. I was always very OCD about cables being neatly organized on my desk and I always hesitated switching to wireless but it was all bs about bad quality.
Buddy got razer blackshark v2 pro, other got hyperx wireless and I got pulse 3d. I also tried arctis pro. Pulse 3d sounds the best to my ear, razer close 2nd but it's a bit boomy. Arctis sounds dry as my farts and I disliked the comfort.
Pulse 3d is the closes over ear headphone sounding like Koss Porta pro and that's a perfect headphone in my opinion. If they made Koss Porta pro for ps5 wireless? I am paying any price.

Garibaldi

I tried the Xbox variety of those but couldn't justify the price for a headset that only worked with one platform. Probably the most comfortable headset I've ever worn though.
Yeah they ain't cheap and tbh I'm not sure you'd get the full use on a console only setup. The software on the pc sets up a bunch of virtual audio setups which you can tune to specific levels and use for various different apps (like having different profiles for music and video). I've used it on my ps5 too but it's not really worth it just for that.

FrankWza

The build quality isn't supposed to be as good as the X2s but the X2s are heavier and that the heft is one thing I'm noticing.
It's that inner strap that puts all the weight on your head. I put 2 velcro pieces on each side to pull them up so that they're always expanded and it makes them a lot more comfortable and they feel lighter. Makes them more of a standard headphone style. Do the velcro first then stretch outward if it clamps too much.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's that inner strap that puts all the weight on your head. I put 2 velcro pieces on each side to pull them up so that they're always expanded and it makes them a lot more comfortable and they feel lighter. Makes them more of a standard headphone style. Do the velcro first then stretch outward if it clamps too much.

Thanks. I'll try that

Digfox

Been playing with a couple of 'headset' recently namely the Drop PC38x & Epos H6Pros (both based on the same Epos drivers). I think the former might be the best all-round headphones or headset I've ever used for gaming. Their tuning, angled drivers, soundstage, light weight, comfort, perfect length short cables and easy to drive has won me over. I even prefer these to my Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R which has been my most recent go-to. I think other headphones will do certain things better; i.e. the TYGR have better separation, imaging and detail but for most games it doesn't really matter. Also the PC38x & H6Pro are so easy to drive that it really doesn't matter what they are plugged into. I've done quite a bit of testing with the Series X and PS5 playing certain games over and over between the controllers and various DAC/AMPs and although both these headsets sound a bit better on one vs. being plugged into the controllers it is such a marginal or miniscule difference. Which is such a huge selling point when looking for something multi-platform. The H6Pro do have too much bass when compared to the P38x but are a step up in terms of build quality and comfort.

DWgnLp2m.jpg
bXrytzAm.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Been playing with a couple of 'headset' recently namely the Drop PC38x & Epos H6Pros (both based on the same Epos drivers). I think the former might be the best all-round headphones or headset I've ever used for gaming. Their tuning, angled drivers, soundstage, light weight, comfort, perfect length short cables and easy to drive has won me over. I even prefer these to my Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R which has been my most recent go-to. I think other headphones will do certain things better; i.e. the TYGR have better separation, imaging and detail but for most games it doesn't really matter. Also the PC38x & H6Pro are so easy to drive that it really doesn't matter what they are plugged into. I've done quite a bit of testing with the Series X and PS5 playing certain games over and over between the controllers and various DAC/AMPs and although both these headsets sound a bit better on one vs. being plugged into the controllers it is such a marginal or miniscule difference. Which is such a huge selling point when looking for something multi-platform. The H6Pro do have too much bass when compared to the P38x but are a step up in terms of build quality and comfort.

DWgnLp2m.jpg
bXrytzAm.jpg

Among the popular youtube audiophiles out there, that seems to be a popular choice....

That crinacle guy is pretty funny

Last edited:

Digfox

Among the popular youtube audiophiles out there, that seems to be a popular choice....

Yep, audiophiles do like the PC38x where as the H6Pros tend to be not as liked, which I get given their excessive bass. I wasn't expecting to like either of them as much as I do.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

That crinacle guy is pretty funny

One purchase I kind of regret is not getting those HD 800s instead buying the Audeze LCD-X which is a great headset but seems the HD 800s are more preferred by people who know what they are actually listening to

Digfox

new shit is out: https://www.audeze.com/en-eu/products/maxwell-wireless-gaming-headset
Looks pretty good... any idea how 3rd party wireless headsets work on ps5? Do You get the volume ui and 3d?
I love the pulse 3d and it's sound quality. I am just curious...

Yes, the Maxwell has been garnering good reviews. Sounds like an improvement on the Penrose (build quality, refinement etc.).

3D works with any headphones/headset plugged into a DualShock 4/Dualsense or USB.

Been a while since I've plugged my Razer Kaira (not that great but got them on a pricing error for £36) but from what I'm remember you need to use the quickbar to access volume/mic controls. Whereas the first party Pulse 3D have integrated controls and auto-switch off back to Tv/other audio when switched off. That sort of QoL stuff Sony paywall.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes, the Maxwell has been garnering good reviews. Sounds like an improvement on the Penrose (build quality, refinement etc.).

3D works with any headphones/headset plugged into a DualShock 4/Dualsense or USB.

Been a while since I've plugged my Razer Kaira (not that great but got them on a pricing error for £36) but from what I'm remember you need to use the quickbar to access volume/mic controls. Whereas the first party Pulse 3D have integrated controls and auto-switch off back to Tv/other audio when switched off. That sort of QoL stuff Sony paywall.
Yeah that's enough to just keep pulse 3d.
I could upgrade to their h9 or whatever it was called buuuut I hate the boom mic.
So yeah... Keeping pulse3d since I love this thing

Digfox

Yeah that's enough to just keep pulse 3d.
I could upgrade to their h9 or whatever it was called buuuut I hate the boom mic.
So yeah... Keeping pulse3d since I love this thing

I don't think the H9 gets access to the EQ settings the Pulse 3D does - unless they patched that in?

I sense the Maxwell's are probably endgame wireless headset-level for many console users. Also more muti-format friendly with an Xbox version/dongle (if it is available separately) and you get the experience of planar magnetic drivers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't think the H9 gets access to the EQ settings the Pulse 3D does - unless they patched that in?

I sense the Maxwell's are probably endgame wireless headset-level for many console users. Also more muti-format friendly with an Xbox version/dongle (if it is available separately) and you get the experience of planar magnetic drivers.
I am all for simplicity and light weight. Pulse 3d sounds fantastic and I can just swap the dongle to pc or ps5. You need the free usb c on the ps5 for that vr too (although I dont have psvr2 right now).
The only problems I have with pulse3d is battery life (about 10-12 hours)

Digfox

I am all for simplicity and light weight. Pulse 3d sounds fantastic and I can just swap the dongle to pc or ps5. You need the free usb c on the ps5 for that vr too (although I dont have psvr2 right now).
The only problems I have with pulse3d is battery life (about 10-12 hours)

The old PS4 Platinums were similar battery life, where as the aforementioned Kaira last for 30hrs (Maxwell does 80hrs apparently!). Does make a difference in using day-to-day.

I do agree re: comfort. Far too many 'audiophile' reviews don't really mention comfort for gaming which is more important than other forms of media (i.e. I'm unlikely to listen to music for 4-5hrs straight in the same way I might play a game that long). Also the lighter the better, which is one of the downsides to the Maxwell in that they weight nearly 500 grams.

Last edited:

lukilladog

I don't care, if anything "gamer" and "audiophile" tagged stuff is a warning to me because they tend to make you pay for specs and features you don't really need or make zero difference.

Top Bottom