• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can't you buy Resident Evil Directors Cut?

Mr Hyde

Wanted to play Resident Evil Directors cut but apparently you have to sign up for PS plus extra to do that. No thanks, so I hooked up my old PS3 and tried to purchase it via PSstore but Nooooo, can't have you do that any longer. Papa Sony has limited purchasing options so now you can't buy directly from the store. And to add insult to injury, Sony has made it extra difficult by just signing in to your PS3, having to scan a qr code and set up a one-time bogus password to access your account. Every fucking time you login.

Anyway, I tried to circumvent this by adding funds to my wallet. Couldn't do it on their browser, only from PS5 storefront. Added the amount necessary to purchase RE, went through all the bullshit sign in on PS3 and guess what. I still can't fucking buy it. It doesn't recognize my credit card.

I'm so fucking fed up with Sonys bullshit that I'm honestly thinking about just abandoning this asshole company. If it wasn't for the fact that PS5 is an amazing console and all the great games they put out I would be long gone by now.

Why the fuck can't you just buy the games instead of subscribe to some bullshit service that I don't want? You can buy every other PS classic but not RE directors cut. And now Sony have gone out of their way to fuck the PS3 store just so you are forced to comply to their rules.

Fuck you!

EDIT: Resolved thanks to wonderful member Y0ssarian Y0ssarian

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Capcom Customer Support. We appreciate your interest in Resident Evil: Director's Cut. Regarding availability outside of PlayStation Plus Premium memberships, no announcements have been made, but we are happy to pass your feedback along to the appropriate team. For the latest news on Resident Evil, we encourage you to check out our official Resident Evil Facebook and Twitter pages.

Best Regards,

CAPCOM Customer Support

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
If it wasn't for the fact that PS5 is an amazing console and all the great games they put out I would be long gone by now.
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Fahdis

- Horrible Regional Stores
- Shitty Attitude Towards Past Purchases
- $$$ cause Luxury Tax apparently

I left a while back! They made me turn from a Blue Pidgeon to an independent White Dove. I almost went into the Green Rat and Red Pig camp, but decided to stay platform agnostic.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Mr Hyde Mr Hyde

If you're in NA I think it's because it's the OG Director's Cut that's on the store. The one that was on PS3 was the dual shock edition and may have been removed outright due to the issue with the deaf composer being a complete fraud. That might be why the PS3 version is delisted or maybe because the version on PS+ is the OG version and not the Dual Shock version. two different products mentality.

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that PAL has the option to download the game for free (regardless of PS+ tier) if they bought it on PSP/PS3. PAL had the OG Director's Cut on PS3/PSP.

I think that's part of the reason for the issue that NA people have because the PS+ classics that I bought on PS3, I can download them for free but like you mentioned, I can't with RE: DC.

All that being said, it is dumb. They should allow you the option to buy the game. Capcom resells their games every generation, it's shitty to keep the original RE DC behind a paywall.

Last edited:

aclar00

Mr Hyde Mr Hyde

If you're in NA I think it's because it's the OG Director's Cut that's on the store. The one that was on PS3 was the dual shock edition and may have been removed outright due to the issue with the deaf composer being a complete fraud. That might be why the PS3 version is delisted or maybe because the version on PS+ is the OG version and not the Dual Shock version. two different products mentality.

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that PAL has the option to download the game for free (regardless of PS+ tier) if they bought it on PSP/PS3. PAL had the OG Director's Cut on PS3/PSP.

I think that's part of the reason for the issue that NA people have because the PS+ classics that I bought on PS3, I can download them for free but like you mentioned, I can't with RE: DC.

All that being said, it is dumb. They should allow you the option to buy the game. Capcom resells their games every generation, it's shitty to keep the original RE DC behind a paywall.

I dont know seems like a stretch. I contacted support asking why i couldnt download it even though i purchased in back on PS3 and they just told me kinks are still being worked out.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Isa

fart town usa

Gold Member
I dont know seems like a stretch. I contacted support asking why i couldnt download it even though i purchased in back on PS3 and they just told me kinks are still being worked out.
I hope that's the case.

I do know for certain though that the version available on PS4/PS5 in NA is different from the PS3 one. It's definitely an improvement to have the original OST and it's the version that all regions should have got to begin with. Hell, Capcom is on my shit list cause they act like the original 1996 release doesn't exist. DC isn't even good, it nerfs enemies and has mandatory auto-aim. People need to experience the original game, DC doesn't cut it.

sorry for ranting, lol.

They should finish Resident Evil 1.5 and put it on PSN. Maybe call it Resident Evil 2 Alternate or something. All i have played of it is a buggy ass alpha build. However, its very intriguing.

fart town usa

Gold Member
They should finish Resident Evil 1.5 and put it on PSN. Maybe call it Resident Evil 2 Alternate or something. All i have played of it is a buggy ass alpha build. However, its very intriguing.
Yea, that build is neat but it's weird that it take 20 bullets to down a dog and then they come back to life, lol. So weird that the guy working on it doesn't address that.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Obligatory “Why would you want to play that” and its corollary, “when the superior REmake is available?”

Last time I tried to buy something with my US PS3 account was hilarious. I spent hours jumping through hoops just to access the fucking store from Europe, only to find out there was no way to add funds. Even online prepaid card sellers refused my purchase. Sony actually went out of their way to not get money. And now they want more money for their new console!

BTW, why even bother with the Director’s Cut? The original game has everything you need, and nothing you actually don’t. No new unfitting music, no superfluous Arrange mode, no useless Dual Shock compatibility.

Mr Hyde

Mr Hyde Mr Hyde

I'm in EU. I even followed this guide but Im still restricted to buy it.

Mr Hyde

BTW, why even bother with the Director’s Cut? The original game has everything you need, and nothing you actually don’t. No new unfitting music, no superfluous Arrange mode, no useless Dual Shock compatibility.

Haven't played the Directors Cut version. The new version on PS5 also adds new features such as rewind and insta saves. I'm also in the mood for OG RE but I don't own the original on PSone so can't play it (unless I wanna pay absurd amount for a used copy).

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Thank you for contacting Capcom Customer Support. We appreciate your interest in Resident Evil: Director's Cut. Regarding availability outside of PlayStation Plus Premium memberships, no announcements have been made, but we are happy to pass your feedback along to the appropriate team. For the latest news on Resident Evil, we encourage you to check out our official Resident Evil Facebook and Twitter pages.

Best Regards,

Written by Jim Ryan.

Artoris

Gold Member
You can always join PS plus extra for a month and buy it

and It sucks that you have to do this

fart town usa

Gold Member
Can I really purchase it if I join one month?
Unless I'm wrong, you can't.

I tried the same thing when it was first rolled out. Subscribed at the end of the month cause it was literally 25 cents to have full access for a day. Just wanted to see if I could actually buy the game but I didn't see any option for it.

Isa

Gold Member
I feel you're pain, I too was super excited to be able to play through it again on my PS5, but no dice. And I'm not paying like $180+ dollerydoos fto play a game I already own in two formats. I don't want to have to dig out my og system and my sister who lives several states away has nearly all of my games. Hopefully Capcom or Sony let it become purchasable at least, I've been hankering for the classics for a while now, especially RE2, I want my girl to see where it all started and what was cut, along with RE3.

nial

Gold Member
Ask Capcom, Sony lets you buy their own classics like Ape Escape or Syphon Filter.
Capcom resells their games every generation, it's shitty to keep the original RE DC behind a paywall.
I think they are just not interested in offering that version of the game, they see the GameCube remake as THE Resident Evil 1.

MacReady13

LOOOOOOL. Nice one.

But yeah some classics will remain exclusive to the PS Premium service so people have no choice but to subscribe.
And that’s why I won’t subscribe. Let us buy the games outright! Why don’t they want the extra money we would spend on these games?

While trying to see if i can purchase resident evil director's cut on PS3 I noticed that account management isn't working and I also can't add a new psn account on PS3, shows the error 80023017, does anyone here have this issue with the PS3?

MrA

Banned
Play it on Saturn you coward. Develop an understanding of the differences between all versions.
Funny I would buy all versions (Saturn, pc, ps1,ps1dc, ds as they all offer something unique )if offered but it seems capcom wants less money, which is odd given how much capcom loves their ports and rereleases

93xfan

Banned
I feel you op. Still have my PS3 (didn’t get a PS5 for this reason. Unfortunately the version I have sounds like a deaf guy wrote the music (which somehow is not the case)

Dr.Morris79

Just emulate it, hell your phone can probably run anything on the PS1 at 60fps.

If Sony's going to treat their back catelouge like Nintendo does then fuck em.
Exactly. And to be frank, it's been available for years..

Imagine having your Ps3 fully setup just to play Loaded, Project overkill or Doom Ps1..

1MKmpEv.gif

Y0ssarian

Banned
Dude.

Add the funds through PS5, then remove the saved credit card from the system. You can then buy the game.

Source: me, i bought several Ps3 digital games recently

Last edited:
Top Bottom