• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Controller Aiming SUCKS in DEATHLOOP

Banned
I suck at video editing, but I had to do this, I'm done arguing with people in that other thread.
this hopefully showcases why some games feel like ass on controller,
and I also try to show how it should be done by emulating a mouse on the right stick using Steam's controller settings.

btw. you can't use controller and mouse at the same time in this game. so don't think you can actually use this while playing normally.
as soon as you change inputs the game stutters for a few frames and becomes unresponsive.
meaning if you use mouse and controller inputs simultaneously the game is unplayable.

it was kinda fun editing the video tbh. even tho I never really did this shit... which is very evident in this video :pie_roffles:

edit:
UPDATE!!!

HOLY SHIT THEY FIXED IT!

seems like this new updated that came with the Xbox version added options to turn off basically all the shit I am talking about in the video!

it literally was all fixed!
holy fuck!

you can now change the inner and outer deadzone,
you can turn off the axial dampening,
you can turn off aim acceleration...

this is huge... but why did this take a fucking year?

Last edited:

Banned
i salute your commitment to arguing on the internet. that really does look like shit.

if there's one thing that I am really fucking annoyed about in gaming today, is the fact that there are still developers that do not understand how to properly do controller aiming.

you'd think with Apex, Titanfall and CoD existing they'd get the hint... but nah... sadly they don't.
and the fucked up thing is, doing the controller aiming like the Deathloop devs did here is MORE WORK than doing it correctly as you have to add all these filters that fuck with the player's aim inputs instead of simply doing it mostly unfiltered like the good shooters do

Banned
Doesn't matter for the majority of controller players, cause they're terrible with a controller in FPS games.

true. but with kids growing up being Fortnite pros at age 5, I think this will slowly change :pie_roffles:

Most people still let go of the right stick with their thumb and flicks it in directions to aim.

Sick It'S Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

ah, don't even say that... ahh... naaaahhhhhh man

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Tapping your right stick while being heavy on the legs is fun for some people. It’s perspective more than it is precision handling. If my crosshair is fixed on something, it’s the same as straightening a portrait on the wall.
I’d argue how awful gyro controls are more frustrating than this.

I do think it’s better now than it was on Xbox/PS2 where everything felt like flight stick controls. Medal of Honor suffered from this and so did TimeSplitters. If you could handle Goldeneye and you figured out the button arrangement to best suit your needs, there wasn’t a problem.

While I do agree that precise movements with a mouse makes aiming a lot more accurate. I feel like console controls are still justifiable. It’s just like switching to southpaw or inverted button mapping. After seeing fight sticks get watered down to buttons. If a person perform the same task with a controller then so be it.

Last edited:
Dude if you gonna make a video to explain something like this why won't you use a mic or a headset? Lol.

Lol I can't believe you made a video to get some sort of validation on a random internet gaming forum for a bunch of random people who you'll never seen in person..

Banned
Medal of Honor suffered from this and so did TimeSplitters. If you could handle Goldeneye and you figured out the button arrangement to best suit your needs, there wasn’t a problem.

TimeSplitters 1/2, Perfect Dark and GoldenEye aren't really comparable to modern shooters tho are they?
also as soon as you use the manual aim in these games there is no aim smoothing or anything, it uses your direct input, like it should be

Before I even clicked I knew it was going to be about horrible dead zones. That almost always ruins any half decent console shooter and even if for some reason it's absolutelynecessary, it should only be in third person action games with lock on and/or shooting mechanics like Infamous.

Banned
Dude if you gonna make a video to explain something like this why won't you use a mic or a headset? Lol.

Lol I can't believe you made a video to get some sort of validation on a random internet gaming forum for a bunch of random people who you'll never seen in person..

"I can't believe you argue on the internet in a forum that is made to exchange arguments!"

also I wanted to make a quick video not make a full production here. just a few clips and text to quickly get this out.
a video demonstrates exactly what I am saying, and people who have low standards can't argue against objective facts shown directly in video form.
so honestly I think I'm saving time and baincells simply quickly recording this than to further argue in that other thread with people who are clearly casual as fuck and don't know how a properly done shooter on console looks like

Last edited:
I honestly think it’s not that bad on controller. Now a game that is almost unplayable with aiming on console is cyberpunk…I don’t know how anyone tolerates it.

I'll just be over here playing Splatoon 3. I hope games catch up to this in the next 10 years.

So many ludites resist change these days. Didnt used to be that way in gaming.
It might take another 10 years or so for people to finally accept gyro aiming as an optional standard. Even on the hardware side of things, the right joystick has stubbornly persisted for almost 30 years at this point, when it's nowhere near a potential peak.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
TimeSplitters 1/2, Perfect Dark and GoldenEye aren't really comparable to modern shooters tho are they?
also as soon as you use the manual aim in these games there is no aim smoothing or anything, it uses your direct input, like it should be
I honestly get sick of the Halo/Destiny comparison. Id take the MW comparison to be honest. I play mainly on console and I don’t have a lot of distaste for the controller or the mouse. I have played on a PC annually/semi annually since DOOM, but shooters on PC weren’t my thing until Half-Life/Deus Ex were on Steam. That’s beside the point.

ADS, hiding behind a corner, grenade shots across the map, sniper shots up close and afar, up-close shotgun blasts, and etc are all core gameplay aspects to shooters. Be that in any shooter, new or old. Movement/positioning, jumping, wall running and etc have a certain flow to them. At some point you get by by whatever feels good to you. You can perform a task by repetition. It isn’t all about walking the straight line and matching up the 90 degree angle with something on the X axis. It’s from repetition of the same pattern over and over again.

I remember Black Ops IV on PC. The last time I had bought CoD for PC was MW3. I think the last FPS on PC I played through was Wolfenstein II. While I appreciated the accurate aiming. I felt more than happy to switch back to console and it was due to my own history with console controls.

I should also mention I have Deathloop on PS5. I played Dishonored on PC and Dishonored 2/Prey on PS4. I guess my exposure to Arkane’s games have mainly been on console and it’s mainly been all about repeating certain patterns.

Last edited:

JibbSmart

Neo Member
if there's one thing that I am really fucking annoyed about in gaming today, is the fact that there are still developers that do not understand how to properly do controller aiming.

you'd think with Apex, Titanfall and CoD existing they'd get the hint... but nah... sadly they don't.
and the fucked up thing is, doing the controller aiming like the Deathloop devs did here is MORE WORK than doing it correctly as you have to add all these filters that fuck with the player's aim inputs instead of simply doing it mostly unfiltered like the good shooters do
Just wanna push back on the idea that games with better stick controls do less work than Deathloop does. Angle warping, boosting/acceleration, ease-in/ramp-up -- and then on top of that just so much aim assist.

The best games offer options that let you turn most of this stuff off. And they're making better decisions than Deathloop probably is. But the "good" stuff out there is heavily filtered/processed by default.

PSYGN

I hope there's a big push for universal aiming profiles at the OS level. Since the industry has a big hard-on for accessibility currently (that's a good thing), then it'd be cool if we consider it as such because I might as well be disabled with the shit some of these devs do to the aiming mechanics.

Last edited:

Filben

👏🏻

never knew exactly why controller felt so weird in that game. If I'm playing it again, I'll use Steam's controller options.

Did that in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, too, because controller aim was very strange because it has horizontal deadzones so large you could only go vertically in a what felt like 30°-60° range when turning horizontal. Steam's settings totally fixed that.

Don't they playtest this shit? If yes, I don't know how you can't fucking care especially in a shooter.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Insurgency Sandstorm feels perfect on consoles without direct aim assist. It has aim dampening that's nowhere near as invasive and is a far better solution tham what most developers use. R6 feels good on consoles too. It has aim assist but only for the Terrorist Hunt mode..!?

I don't mind aim assist an an accessibility option though.

Arachnid

Fuck yeah. I'm glad you didn't let peoples dismissive and rude comments go unanswered. Thanks for posting proof man.

"jUsT aDapT liKe a ReAL gAmeR, CaSUl"

:pie_eyeroll:

So I’ll definitely be playing that on PC when it launches on Game Pass. Fuck those controls. There are too many games that still do this and it’s so painful to play them.

BlackTron

The whole controls situation with FPS games really kills me. I want to just use an Xbox to save me from having to use modern Windows and gamepass on PC, yet the same games don't have mouse and keyboard support.

Gyro would have been a decent consolation prize, but yeah, it's completely absent on Xbox. So no gyro, no mouse, and your controller implementation sucks to top it all off.

So just for this dire control options situation. Xbox fails to be the PC replacement it could have been when paired with GP. If I need a PC and a mouse and keyboard just to play an FPS game on Gamepass, then what's the Xbox for again?

It's the inconsistency that ruins it.

Banned
UPDATE!!!

HOLY SHIT THEY FIXED IT!

seems like this new updated that came with the Xbox version added options to turn off basically all the shit I am talking about in the video!
(proving me right btw, so fuck off anyone who wanted to downplay how bad it was before the patch đź–•)

it literally was all fixed!
holy fuck!

you can now change the inner and outer deadzone,
you can turn off the axial dampening,
you can turn off aim acceleration...

this is huge... but why did this take a fucking year?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Dark Souls 2 suffers from the same stupid shit that all the other games mentioned ITT, and it's a big part of why I dislike it. They intentionally fucked up something that wasn't broken in DS1, and the game suffered for it. There's attempts at fixes on PC, but they never seem to truly fix the situation and when the base controls are broken it doesn't matter what content a game has.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
There's a generation when it comes to gaming, especially FPS games.

Theres the old school generation that loves fast gameplay with high precision with a mouse, and the younger controller generation that doesn't really care about precision and let's the game aim for you.

All fps games on a PC feels precise, as its easy to make mouse set up given the precision it provides.

When it comes to a controller though, you have to configure how the sticks are being used, making it really hit and miss to make it tolerable.

Halo and Destiny is probably the worst aiming I've ever tried on a controller, while call of duty and Titanfall are among the best. If there should be a standard, it should be by these guys.

But you can never expect the precision of a mouse with a controller. It is technically impossible to fine tune with a thumb compared to a palm.
Theres a reason people call out mouse and keyboard users as cheaters on a console.

I barely can hit shit even if my life depended on it with a controller, but plugging in my Xim makes me at least on par with controller sweaters and their aimbot.

While I like ADS in gaming, I have no doubt that it was developed to make a speed clutch with a controller to fine tune your aim with the help of the aimbot aim assist provides.

I know I've posted this before, but it also fits so well in this thread:

Destiny is an abomination when it comes to controls.

Well this confirms what I've always felt like with them.

It's so much easier to move up and down and sideways in halo and destiny, while it feels like any other direction is a dead zone. I don't know how Bungie can still be shit about controls after making console games for so long.

Whats weird though, is you can't feel the dead zones at all with a Xim. But it feels like you are driving a thousand ton tank with a controller.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Whats weird though, is you can't feel the dead zones at all with a Xim. But it feels like you are driving a thousand ton tank with a controller.
You can remove deadzones on xim, strikepack and the elite controllers - the new DualSense edge also has customizable profiles to remove deadzones.

Destiny is a different kind of "special kid who needs extra care" tho' - and adjusting deadzones is just 25% of the problems with it's controls.
Mocking-Spongebob.jpg

Banned
There's a generation when it comes to gaming, especially FPS games.

Theres the old school generation that loves fast gameplay with high precision with a mouse, and the younger controller generation that doesn't really care about precision and let's the game aim for you.

All fps games on a PC feels precise, as its easy to make mouse set up given the precision it provides.

When it comes to a controller though, you have to configure how the sticks are being used, making it really hit and miss to make it tolerable.

Halo and Destiny is probably the worst aiming I've ever tried on a controller, while call of duty and Titanfall are among the best. If there should be a standard, it should be by these guys.

But you can never expect the precision of a mouse with a controller. It is technically impossible to fine tune with a thumb compared to a palm.
Theres a reason people call out mouse and keyboard users as cheaters on a console.

I barely can hit shit even if my life depended on it with a controller, but plugging in my Xim makes me at least on par with controller sweaters and their aimbot.

While I like ADS in gaming, I have no doubt that it was developed to make a speed clutch with a controller to fine tune your aim with the help of the aimbot aim assist provides.

Well this confirms what I've always felt like with them.

It's so much easier to move up and down and sideways in halo and destiny, while it feels like any other direction is a dead zone. I don't know how Bungie can still be shit about controls after making console games for so long.

the thing is, if you're good on a controller, and the game has good controller aim, at best with a shitload of options, you can get close to mouse precision.
at the very least close enough to keep up in most circumstances.

but we are talking super high level controller users. I am far away from that level, but I can keep up with mouse players pretty well, even without aim assist.

it's just a shit feeling if you actually turn off aim assist to know that the guy you're fighting has it... so I'd never actually turn it off if I want to play well.

it's fun to experiment with it tho from time to time. I recently played Fortnite for a week or so without aim assist and it worked pretty well, but you can tell when you're playing against a controller player that has aim assist. because some weapons in Fortnite are fucking OP on controller due to how strong the aim assist still is in that game.
and they have massively turned it down a while ago too, so imagine how it was before that, where the game had literal snap-on aim assist 🤣

Last edited:
Top Bottom