• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did MS walk away from first party exclusives at the end of 360?

Entroyp

I really liked the old xbox stance with exclusives. As a PC owner, they pushed me not to buy another Xbox. Theres literally no reason now.

With MS’ games on PC I personally don’t see a reason to own one. That being said, if PS games come to PC (please do!) day and date with the console version I don’t see a reason to own one either.

The only console I own would be a Nintendo.

Mobile games are real threat to ms sony and Nintendo, and all of them need to come up with new ideas to overcome it and even stay relevant for the next decade.

People are blaming Don Matrick but he never seemed to be the leader. If anyone knows how to screw up at MS its Ballmer leading the company giving directions.

DaMonsta

Thread title and OP is dumb as fuck

Most of those are not 1st party.

Entire industry is moving away from 3rd party exclusives.

Makes nonsense to lock your game down to one platform when there’s so many people playing games on so many different devices.

Same reason we see the majority of PlayStation “exclusives” show up on other platforms

Last edited:

Romulus

With MS’ games on PC I personally don’t see a reason to own one. That being said, if PS games come to PC (please do!) day and date with the console version I don’t see a reason to own one either.

The only console I own would be a Nintendo.

I think we're a long way off seeing ps4-5 games on PC. Why? Sonys strategy clearly worked for them this generation and I doubt they'll stray far from the strategy other than the odd Sony game 3 years later on PC.

Dane

Shitstorm that closed most studios for no quality reason at all, Kinect sold hotcakes, but their owned output was being reduced.

Also, what happens since OG Xbox is that most of the exclusives aren't obviously made by the first party, but rather third party.

Kinect was Don Mattrick's baby. He spearheaded it start to finish. When it came out, it was extremely successful and gave a system a new lease on life (it was 5 years old at that point). When a guy spearheads a project that becomes very popular, they gain a lot of power (in any corporation). MS saw it like a relaunch of the system and Don Mattrick gained in prominence. Everything that came from Kinect - the games, the "Netflix is the most popular use of 360", the focus on casuals - became MS' strategy. And obviously making Kinect Sports and shit means you don't need to spend money on MS Flight Sim and Age of Empires and all that. They kept Halo/Gears/Forza around because they were very popular obviously, but I guess they thought 3rd parties can fill the gaps and they don't need to fund tons of expensive and risky exclusives going forward when you have grandmas on Kinect.

Just a reminder that back in 99-00, Mattick didn't think it was viable to Microsoft to get into the console business.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Microsoft decided to go with the convergence of XB and PC into one platform route. You can either get a gaming PC or XB if you want to play Microsoft exclusives.

DanielsM

Banned
People are blaming Don Matrick but he never seemed to be the leader. If anyone knows how to screw up at MS its Ballmer leading the company giving directions.

Yup. Everyone has a boss. The original Xbox lost a lot of dough, the initial release of the Xbox 360 lost a lot of dough. Donny was put in charge to change that, some things he was successful at... meaning improved some of the market share... of course, it was built on a pile of quick sand i.e. Kinect. Ballmer started the all-in "services" in 2010, so much of what was included the Xbone stuff. Nadella is the cloud services boy so.... for Phil to convince him to continue with Xbox it had to be at its core based on services.

Too much blame on Donny, not that I care for him.... J Allard had a good grasp of gamers and determining what they really want, from my POV it has been pretty much down hill since he was moved though.

bd-34DNvq29Tplh30oSFwMeF5OgQkcahW17iPu1fui8NtKqsplkHBm-cNDCE5A2Ko26a6ImCjQ15TIEKJrLv4l0J99zGCEJkBaGAcoEPkWNntom2tdvlqEPTr4-EXS_i_ZJGhV9v1HpH1m3S009v

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some of the exclusives weren't even partnership deals. It was due to 360 having more sales at the time and easier to make a game. SO some devs just didn't bother with a multipltform game.

MS got tempted like PS to go after the Nintendo waggle trend thinking it would continue. By the time Move and Kinct got released, Wii sales dropped like a rock and the motion control fad died.

It's amazing if you look at the sales charts. In that 4 year span from 2006-2010, almost all of Wii's 100 million sales were concentrated there, while 360 and PS3 still seemed to sell until they finally hit the grave years later.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think MS believed internally that multimedia platform brands had an even bigger future than gaming itself. They still believe that and I don't think they're necessarily wrong (from a certain point of view).

Arguably the Playstation used gaming as a "trojan" to take over the living room and take over multimedia. Microsoft voiced this exact concern in the late 90s and early 00s. Computers became prolific largely because they functioned as multimedia devices. They worried that Sony would begin cutting into PC's market.

Remember during the 360 era, Netflix streaming was only just becoming a thing and the 360 was one of the most-used devices in the world for Netflix streaming. So if your Xbox device is taking over the multimedia side of gaming consoles, why focus as much on games? I mean, sure, some games will come out for the thing, but the battle is won by whoever has the most/best multimedia features. Plus we have this cool camera to take all of the Wii's audience. It sold tens of millions, the casuals obviously love the Xbox brand!

Nintendo also walked away from first-party exclusives at the end of the Wii's life and made many similar mistakes.

I think success tends to make companies complacent, go figure.

Does anyone know the story behind MS letting Bungie just walk away?
Was there a contract when they were bought that said they only had to make x amount of games before they were able to walk?
I would have at least thought they would have made them develop exclusive games for Xbox, yet from what I recall, Destiny was a timed PS exclusive (may be wrong on that).

Entroyp

Does anyone know the story behind MS letting Bungie just walk away?
Was there a contract when they were bought that said they only had to make x amount of games before they were able to walk?
I would have at least thought they would have made them develop exclusive games for Xbox, yet from what I recall, Destiny was a timed PS exclusive (may be wrong on that).

I’m pretty sure Destiny released at the same time on all four consoles. There was some exclusive shit to the PS consoles but I can’t even remember what it was.

Gargus

Banned
Because Microsoft decided that doritos, mountain dew, taco bell, would be all the marketing they need. And they needed to keep cranking out halo, gears and forza. And the rest was simply just them saying "yeah look at my big powerful super mega piece of hardwares baby. Yeah you want all this power spraying all these high specs in your face dont you? Yeah you do bitch. Now come on and suck my massive teraflops"

And it's still what they do now. Its still jerking off the same old games and it's still trying to convince people to buy it by bragging about how powerful the xbox is. It failed with the one, it failed with the one x, and it doesn't seem to be impressing anyone with xbox one xbox xx x system x.

They fooled me into getting an xbox one s, but I won't buy another expensive doorstop box x.

But seriously, that's why they dont care about games anymore.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because Microsoft decided that doritos, mountain dew, taco bell, would be all the marketing they need. And they needed to keep cranking out halo, gears and forza. And the rest was simply just them saying "yeah look at my big powerful super mega piece of hardwares baby. Yeah you want all this power spraying all these high specs in your face dont you? Yeah you do bitch. Now come on and suck my massive teraflops"

And it's still what they do now. Its still jerking off the same old games and it's still trying to convince people to buy it by bragging about how powerful the xbox is. It failed with the one, it failed with the one x, and it doesn't seem to be impressing anyone with xbox one xbox xx x system x.

They fooled me into getting an xbox one s, but I won't buy another expensive doorstop box x.

Xbox One S? In 2016?

If you waited an extra year you could have got X which was much better. S was basically an Xbox One OG from 2013 but was smaller, white and played 4k movie discs.

S model was meant for casuals who didn't care about the latest specs and wanted a system that doubled as a UHD movie player.

Entroyp

I’m still waiting for that game that’s so good that I need to get an Xbox.

But with MS’ games coming to PC I don’t even have to get one. I have faith MS will produce many many high quality exclusives in the coming years, and my PC is ready!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’m still waiting for that game that’s so good that I need to get an Xbox.

But with MS’ games coming to PC I don’t even have to get one. I have faith MS will produce many many high quality exclusives in the coming years, and my PC is ready!
Profits are in software, not hardware. MS doesn't really care where you game as long as they get a cut of the digital sale.

Sony is still old school relying on hardware sales (PS, TVs, stereos etc....) to be the driver of their finances. That strategy can work too assuming the hardware is profitable. For 10 years, TVs some reason weren't even though Samsung and LG were making shit loads of sales and profits.

For MS, it's software, servers and all that corporate stuff. The only consumer hardware they really make (I think) and Xbox, high value Surface tablets and MS branded keyboards and mice (if they even still do them).

Last edited:

Entroyp

Profits are in software, not hardware. MS doesn't really care where you game as long as they get a cut of the digital sale.

Sony is still old school relying on hardware sales (PS, TVs, stereos etc....) to be the driver of their finances. That strategy can work too assuming the hardware is profitable. For 10 years, TVs some reason weren't even though Samsung and LG were making shit loads of sales and profits.

For MS, it's software, servers and all that corporate stuff. The only consumer hardware they really make (I think) and Xbox, high value Surface tablets and MS branded keyboards and mice (if they even still do them).

Agreed. PSN is Playstation’s highest revenue generator right now and that can be ported to PC with relative ease. Hell it might happen sooner than later, with Horizon being the first game only.

I’m all in on Consoles going away.

I don't think they did. Between cancels and closures they seem to let them go at their own pace. It's like saying why did Rockstar stop making games this gen? They haven't, just nothing has come out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Agreed. PSN is Playstation’s highest revenue generator right now and that can be ported to PC with relative ease. Hell it might happen sooner than later, with Horizon being the first game only.

I’m all in on Consoles going away.
They're already testing waters with PSN being playable on PC, where you can play God of War, Horizon etc..... on PC. Their streaming infrastructure isn't there yet that's why streamed games are at 720/30. When MS and Sony get their act together with their Azure partnership deal, Sony's streaming service will improve.

DanielsM

Banned
They're already testing waters with PSN being playable on PC, where you can play God of War, Horizon etc..... on PC. Their streaming infrastructure isn't there yet that's why streamed games are at 720/30. When MS and Sony get their act together with their Azure partnership deal, Sony's streaming service will improve.

PS Now is limited by hardware ie 720p, it has nothing to do with infrastructure. Both MS and Sony are just using rack mounted consoles. The streaming limitations of the base ps4 is 720p.

Sony has said that 1080p is coming which probably means replacements with ps5s or ps4 pros. It has nothing to do with azure, please stop making stuff up.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Because MS conceded the war due to the shellacking Sony's PlayStation consoles gave Xbox.

The console sales don't matter narrative services are more important spin was born.

As was the loss of Xbox making exclusives.

EDMIX

Games like BioShock, Dead Rising, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Left for Dead, Call of Duty 2, Metro 2033, Call of Juarez, Prey etc.

This is what brought alot of people to the console.

I don't disagree, but its not about getting them to buy the system once as some trick or something, its about getting them to believe this title, series etc is what you can expect from MS going forward, not simply what to expect ONLY for 2007.8.9 etc. MS biggest issues is they didn't take gaming seriously to battle Sony. They felt they could lie, and lie and lie and it would keep fans or something. Ultimately, those fans of Bioshock still love Bioshock just like Mass Effect, Dead Rising fans etc, but when those games are on all platforms, what did you really spend money on?

THATS how you go from 360 to XONE install base flips FAST!

A new Bioshock or Mass Effect will be hype by the whole gaming community, not just XB fans, thus MS pretty much wasted money and become known as company to not trust with "exclusives" and I think when you play fast and loose with timed games like that, you can build a nasty reptuation that ends up even hurting future timed deals, I mean damn look at Tomb Raider. The SECOND it was annoucned we all knew it would be on PS4 some time later, it was just a wait and see for most of us. You can't really do that over and over and over and then act shocked when a lot more folks are not buying XONE vs 360.

look at those that bought 360... "OH YEA Mass Effect, so happy I got a 360 for this" ( annnnnd now on PS3 and PC)
"OH YEA Bioshock so happy I got a 360 for this" ( annnnnd now on PS3 )
"OH YEA Lost Planet so happy I got a 360 for this" ( annnnnd now on PS3)

If that person JUST bought those few games and also owns a PS3...they just learned their lesson about buying anything on XB that states..."exclusive.

So they should have bought Bioware and just paid that damn money, THAT is what it takes to beat Sony. I believe 100% that 1 purchase would have made the move more units then Sony that gen. I feel they should have spent a lot more money actually buying teams vs timed stuff as I think its damaged the brand too much and they spent too much money on what many feel like its a shady trick or something. I feel like a massive amount of their budget was just on timed junk.

Imagine if MS bought Bioware FFS.

I'm saying!!

I dislike MS greatly, but just to play devils advocate, even I til this day question why they didn't and it just sounds like horrid management. Who on earth spends money to FULLY FUND a damn game that is known to be at trilogy and then doesn't buy the team or IP to seal the deal? I feel like that whole deal was done on some napkin from McDonalds or something. lol

yurinka

I think they moved away because they already lost too much money with consoles since they started with this business and decided to slowly move their gaming business to Windows as main focus after seeing that even with Nintendo having a total fail with WiiU and PS3 starting the generation with many huge mistakes they weren't able to dominate the market. Even PS3 outsold them at the end of the generation.

And well, this generation has been even worst with PS4 and Switch getting record numbers since the start. They can't compete with Sony in the AAA consoles and Nintendo in the portable side, so they better focus on PC + services.

Three

The same reason Rare started making stupid avatars instead of games, Money. MS were making that Kinect money at that time and abandoned the core players.

Top Bottom