• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did sony use glossy black Plastic for the PS5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Im sitting here in my living room after a workout having something to eat and l was looking at my PS5 and pondering about its design. While Enough has been talked about the overall design of the PS5, I personally dont like it, but I would like it a lot more if they didnt use horrible glossy black. Its pretty clear that the majority of people dont like glossy black plastic in consoles, its scratches up very quickly and just feels and looks cheap and tacky.

The only thing I can think of that may explain this is they could only get the supply needed with glossy black.

Whatever the reason I hope the next model does not have glossy black.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Get the Dbrand center channel matte black skin. I got it on mine relatively quickly after purchase... and it's staying on there forever.

winjer

Gold Member
Probably someone at marketing likes glossy, because it looks cool and shiny in photos. These people don't care much about practicality if things.

Buki1

Glossy was in fashion back then, simple as that. Glossy black was a sign of high end tech. Thankfully its over now, but dont worry it will come back like low cut jeans.

Sosokrates

Get the Dbrand center channel matte black skin. I got it on mine relatively quickly after purchase... and it's staying on there forever.

Im considering weather to give my PS5 a make over with new plates and mid section cover or I may just wait for a remodel.
I dont know if its a bit OTT buying a new console just for cosmetics and hopefully quieter accoustics.

AGRacing

Im considering weather to give my PS5 a make over with new plates and mid section cover or I may just wait for a remodel.
I dont know if its a bit OTT buying a new console just for cosmetics and hopefully quieter accoustics.
The center channel skin , even alone, is well worth it.

Sosokrates

Glossy was in fashion back then, simple as that. Glossy black was a sign of high end tech. Thankfully its over now, but dont worry it will come back like low cut jeans.
Yes during the PS3 Launch. But then sony went matte with the slim. Same with the PS4 but to a less extent, the launch PS4 had half the top glossy black and half matte, the slim PS4 was all matte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom