• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why do companies love using random numbers/words/alphabets for their product name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am talking about electronic companies in general

I cant be the only one annoyed and find it confusing companies using random-order alphabets, numbers or characters for their product name right? why cant they simplify the naming scheme like Apple or Xiaomi?

Apple categories their product name first with category (iphone for phone, ipad for tablet), number to represent generation, with an optional (easy-to-understand) word/letter to denote a variation. S for incremental update, and layman words like "mini" and "Plus" to denote variation in terms of size, and "C" for budget.

Xiaomi is more complicated, but their naming scheme isn't far worse either: category (Mi/Redmi for phone, Mipad for tablet), number to represent generation, and a letter to represent the variation. They uses easy-to-understand word like 'note' to denote the product as a phablet variation.

Sony's naming convention for their Playstation console is pretty sleek and straight forward too: Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3 etc. "Slim" for slim variation.

These helps consumers to determine and tell which product to buy easier by filtering the product in order. Want the latest apple phone? Get the iphone with the larger available model number (with the S variation if there is any).

Now look at the other end of the spectrum.
Take a look at Samsung:
'Galaxy" represent everything.
The products then categorized into product type (Galaxy Tab for tablet, Galaxy Camera for camera, Gear for watch, Galaxy note for phablet with stylus, and Galaxy with a random alphabet/word for phone).

Here's where it gets much more messier:
The Galaxy (phone) series is further subdivided with randomly alphabets

From this chart, I am looking at 2 random alphabets for upper mid-range (R, A), 3 random alphabets for mid-range (E,J,W) and 2 random alphabets for low-range (Y, M). Are they expecting their consumers to do research whenever they want to buy a phone, or memorize which alphabet represents the class of the phone? They are also introducing an "O" series too in the near future.
bauGauq.png

It gets even worse when you have words as well. As a result you have these:
hHHstxc.png

how can a common consumer tell which phone suits their need? How can they tell which is the latest budget phone out of these phones, an A7 or a E7? What's the difference between a Grand Prime, Core Prime or Mega 2?

Samsung isn't the only one. HTC's wiki page shows that they have a Desire L, Desire 300, Desire 7060, Desire Eye, Desire Q, Desire P etc.

Look at Nintendo with the Wii U name too.

I am sure many other electronic companies are doing this too. is it due to the companies releasing too many products with slight variations?

Here's an article which talks about this problem too
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/21/the-subtle-brilliance-of-apples-product-names/

Luminaire

While not an answer to your question, I think they see it the same way as the automotive industry. How do we know a Ford Focus is different or better than a Ford Fiesta? Why does the Eddie Bauer Edition of some Explorer cost more than the normal?

My actual answer to your question: Marketing departments. They're staffed by lunatics who think they'll have the next iPod or Xerox machine if they have something just psychotic enough to be unique and enigmatic.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
While not an answer to your question, I think they see it the same way as the automotive industry. How do we know a Ford Focus is different or better than a Ford Fiesta? Why does the Eddie Bauer Edition of some Explorer cost more than the normal?

My actual answer to your question: Marketing departments. They're staffed by lunatics who think they'll have the next iPod or Xerox machine if they have something just psychotic enough to be unique and enigmatic.
I would think marketing departments would be on the complete opposite end of this issue: they'd want to name things with human-relatable terms rather than random letters and numbers.

Luminaire

I would think marketing departments would be on the complete opposite end of this issue: they'd want to name things with human-relatable terms rather than random letters and numbers.

That's why neither you nor I are in marketing! We don't take risks!

Slavik81

I'd guess that the product line-up reflects the organizational structure of the company that makes them. That is, Apple has a fairly unified structure, while Samsung is full of little fiefdoms.

Alternatively, perhaps it is because Apple is willing to grab just the profitable end of the market, while Samsung feels they need to have a product targeted towards each market niche, because they depend more on volume.

ArtHands

Yah, and its also affecting the other tech-products too like laptop and camera as well.

lenovo.png

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Model numbers make it easier to tell what is newer and what features it possibly has.

It works for their internal use and they just happen to think its cool enough to use in marketing

D.Lo

Real answer, in the form of a question:

Why are items that come from non-English speaking countries always made up of English words used incorrectly or out of context?

It's just like nonsensical game/anime titles/names (Bleach, Bravely Default, Melty Blood, Metal Gear Solid etc) except you're used to it in context.

This is how you end up with electronics items named 'Samsung Infuse'.

Game consoles are not immune, you're just used to them. Playstation sounds like a kids train set, and Dreamcast should really be a fishing rod.

BocoDragon

Why are items that come from non-English speaking countries always made up of English words used incorrectly or out of context?

It's just like nonsensical game/anime titles/names (Bleach, Bravely Default, Melty Blood, Metal Gear Solid etc) except you're used to it in context.

Game consoles are not immune, you're just used to them. Playstation sounds like a kids train set, and Dreamcast should really be a fishing rod.
Grains of truth to it, but even in native English speaking countries I'd expect the same phenomenon.

"Amazon Echo."

English speakers named that.

Peru

That has nothing to do with country of origin. Same with cars. It's not incorrect, they just want a name that vaguely connotes a certain feeling of class.

D.Lo

Grains of truth to it, but even in native English speaking countries I'd expect the same phenomenon.

"Amazon Echo."

English speakers named that.
True doesn't stop others from being ridiculous. It may actually be a marketing culture responding back to (in particular) Japanese coined English names, since they had some influence (Walkman, Toyota model names).

But the marketing and media hegemony of the English language is a big part of it for ESL countries.

BocoDragon

True doesn't stop others from being ridiculous.

But the marketing and media hegemony of the English language is a big part of it for ESL countries.
It's definitely a factor in much of the naming of products coming out of Asia. I do see your point.

Maybe English speakers would not have named it "PlayStation"? I remember how inappropriate it sounded to me when I first heard it in the 90s. Was it a kids playset? My mother ridiculed me for wanting something called that when I was 13!

...but when you realize it's the counterpoint to "Workstation", you might see it in a new light ;)

Joni

Apple has one product line, Sony Computer Entertainment has one, ... It is a bit more difficult to split up if you try to speak to multiple parts of the market at the same time. You have to choose a specific series that fits your needs and then get the highest of that.

Dougald

A lot of motorcycle manufacturers like to do this too. A bunch of random letters and a number to indicate displacement, drives me insane

Playstation comes from the word workstation, which should be obvious.
You sit down at a workstation to work. You sit down at a playstation to play.

That's not so much engrish as it is a creative reversal of a normal english term.

aku:jiki

Buying the DX255S because it's an upgraded version of the DX255 which was an extension of the original DX200 makes a lot more sense to me than buying Banana which was an upgrade of Baobab which was an upgrade of White Kitty.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
as an IT professional my experience with electronics is this: The more complicated and seemingly (!) random the name is, the better the product is.
Of course thats not always the case but in non cosumer sector i find it true more often then not.
It tells you that the people who are in charge for the product are engineers first, and merketing blalba plays a secondary role.

if you get a black box, rough on the edges and and no fancy design and the product name is something like S52DX1125S-OLN you can bet your ass that the product will do exactly what you expect and will not fail you even once
if the same product of a competing company is named "ViperX" you can be sure its a piece of shit.

Samsung's phone name catalog is isnane, you need an expert helping just to work out what the difference between all their damned names.

DOWN

Banned
Names are tacky most of the time. Corolla sounds idiotic. Fusion sounds idiotic. MKX sounds like an engineering marvel. The S-class sounds rich as hell. G550 sounds like where I wanna be.

It just has no hokey attempt at evoking a spirit that you probably don't relate too. Model lettering and numbering is the way of luxury vehicles for a good reason. They can't be stuck in the tacky zone.

shink

Before the Sony Z series, they had awful number of letters or words, sometimes both. It's good they've understood how confusing it is and the Z series is much easier to tell what's what.

Madness

It works when you make one utilitarian product and not another for a while. So it's cool every 6+ years if there is a new Playstation, but why would Samsung do that when they have several handsets in the pipeline every few months? The brand awareness is in Galaxy which is why they've extended that to be their go to brand. You know the S series is their flagship device, you know the Note series is their stylus devices, Gear is their watch line, and Tab is strictly tablets.

Sure some consumers are dumb, but many can tell the difference between a Galaxy S4 and a Galaxy S6 if they're only given that name.

Also, Apple runs the risk of the same thing now that they're going onto different sizes and even classes. What does a consumer know is the difference between an iPhone 6s, iPhone 6c, iPhone 6s Plus?

I think you're also looking at Wikipedia and thinking it's a big issue. When a consumer searches amazon or goes to a best buy, there are limited models they can buy and often it's simplified what they are. In a global world, sometimes certain regions or countries have certain versions and Samsung names them similar but different enough. You're right though, sometimes things can change, but these corporations have smarter guys than us working for them. There's always a reason for everything.

hodgy100

graphics card manufacturers are the king at this. im convinced its there to confuse customers to they end up buying shitty graphics cards.

KHlover

Banned
Buying the DX255S because it's an upgraded version of the DX255 which was an extension of the original DX200 makes a lot more sense to me than buying Banana which was an upgrade of Baobab which was an upgrade of White Kitty.

Android version "numbers" in a nutshell. I'm aware Android updates actually ARE numbered, but in forum discussions (NOT enthusiast forums btw) I only read "KitKat" "Honeycomb" "Jelly Bean" "Marshmellow". Yeaaaaah, I totally get what version number you refer to :/

Zaptruder

Banned
We live in a world of fractalized marketing.

There's a different reason, ethos and evolution for each specific naming type, and most of it is completely unrecoverable for the average person (and even those in the know can't keep track of this shit or why it was done the way it is now).

The worst example of this is probably computer parts.

i7 5820k

And each intel processor is bracketed by overlapping generation names like Skylake, Broadwell, Haswell, Cannonlake. Fucking get your shit together Intel. This is why high end PC parts are in a total slump - the general public has no clue how to wade through this mire of crap.

GTX980Ti G1
Radeon 290X390X

then every few generations, they redo the numbering scheme and you're just fucking lost again.

Zaptruder

Banned
Android version "numbers" in a nutshell. I'm aware Android updates actually ARE numbered, but in forum discussions (NOT enthusiast forums btw) I only read "KitKat" "Honeycomb" "Jelly Bean" "Marshmellow". Yeaaaaah, I totally get what version number you refer to :/

Ignore the names. Look at the first letter. That character denotes a major release iteration for Androids.

Chuckie

Playstation comes from the word workstation, which should be obvious.
You sit down at a workstation to work. You sit down at a playstation to play.

cool, never thought about it that way.

Does X-Box have any idea behind it too? Or is it just X because EXTREME?

ArtHands

It works when you make one utilitarian product and not another for a while. So it's cool every 6+ years if there is a new Playstation, but why would Samsung do that when they have several handsets in the pipeline every few months? The brand awareness is in Galaxy which is why they've extended that to be their go to brand. You know the S series is their flagship device, you know the Note series is their stylus devices, Gear is their watch line, and Tab is strictly tablets.

Sure some consumers are dumb, but many can tell the difference between a Galaxy S4 and a Galaxy S6 if they're only given that name.

Also, Apple runs the risk of the same thing now that they're going onto different sizes and even classes. What does a consumer know is the difference between an iPhone 6s, iPhone 6c, iPhone 6s Plus?

I think you're also looking at Wikipedia and thinking it's a big issue. When a consumer searches amazon or goes to a best buy, there are limited models they can buy and often it's simplified what they are. In a global world, sometimes certain regions or countries have certain versions and Samsung names them similar but different enough. You're right though, sometimes things can change, but these corporations have smarter guys than us working for them. There's always a reason for everything.

It helps communicate the product to the customers easier, especially when new models are released every few weeks and its hard for the customers to keep up. Its really only the S and Note models which are the notable models for the phones. Beyond that? It'll be a daunting task not only for the customer, but the salesperson as well. They'll have to memorize which tier marches which alphabet, and which are the best models in the respective tiers too. Why not streamline everything and have maybe the "A" model for high end, "B" for mid end and "C" for low end? everyone will have a much easier time memorizing and telling what the phone is about this way.

Apple has been consistance with their release pattern so far, alternating an new model and an S incremental model every year. With the exception of the one-time C variation and the "plus" moniker model to represent the size so far, i dont think they are going to have a hard time communicating with the audience about this.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Names are tacky most of the time. Corolla sounds idiotic. Fusion sounds idiotic. MKX sounds like an engineering marvel. The S-class sounds rich as hell. G550 sounds like where I wanna be.

It just has no hokey attempt at evoking a spirit that you probably don't relate too. Model lettering and numbering is the way of luxury vehicles for a good reason. They can't be stuck in the tacky zone.

That is just their marketing getting to you. They've managed to associate their brand names with luxury in your head.

DOWN

Banned
That is just their marketing getting to you. They've managed to associate their brand names with luxury in your head.

Only halfway. The luxury association is marketing (I was being a bit self-aware when claiming that simple letters truly evoke a marvel), but the tacky-factor is inherently present in naming as opposed to numbering/lettering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom