• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do game developers neglect 1080p on current gen consoles

Diddy X

1440p looks quite good and shows a good level of detail, ofcourse 4k is better but I can live without it, now I think 1080p is just not sharp enough.

Last edited:
I have a 65 inch C1 , and i'm switching from 1080p to 1440 to 4k , there is not much difference , 1440 seems to be the best way to play cause it's using less resource! I think this generation of gamers are just spoiled brats ! Will you spoiled brats buy the Ninja turtle collection if there's no ray tracing ? 😂😂

1080p is a resolution that I use to this day on my 27" monitor, I think it's perfect both the size of the monitor and the image, but I understand that technology advances, there are many people with higher resolution TVs, larger screens, so I think it's fair that they try whenever possible use higher resolution but the tendency is that I keep my screen because it is functional and meets my quality and performance requirements.

ethomaz

Banned
Because 1080p in a 4K TV looks shit.

I whorls love to have a 1080p TV with all new features to play games in 1080p but that option doesn’t exists.

Last edited:

Hoddi

that is due to 2 factors:
1: 4K is exactly a 2x scale on each axis of a 1080p image which makes it easy to scale well to 4K (480p to 720p is an uneven 1.5x scale, and 480p to 1080p is and uneven 2.25x scale on each axis, resulting in double width lines and half width lines)
and 2: 4K has such a high pixel density that scaling artifacts are way less noticeable than on lower resolution displays, if there was a half width line it wouldn't stand out nearly as much, which is why even 1440p scaled to 4K looks good even tho it's an uneven scale
This is only true when using integer upscaling which no console or TV supports to my knowledge. All other upscalers apply a bilinear/bicubic filter to the image which changes the pixel grid and erases any benefit of 4:1 pixel scaling.

Here's 4x bilinear vs integer. The former is how 1080p typically looks on a 4k display.

f1EME5m.png

Banned
This is only true when using integer upscaling which no console or TV supports to my knowledge. All other upscalers apply a bilinear/bicubic filter to the image which changes the pixel grid and erases any benefit of 4:1 pixel scaling.

Here's 4x bilinear vs integer. The former is how 1080p typically looks on a 4k display.

f1EME5m.png

basically every upscaling method benefits from an even scaling tho. once you introduce uneven scaling then you add all the downsides of both.
the biggest benefit of a 4K screen is definitely the pixel density tho.

jimmypython

1080p with one of those smart AI re-res tech for higher res screens would be great.. 60+ fps everywhere

Personally, I only have a 1080p TV...so any higher native res graphics mean a hit on performance for no reason for me...

Top Bottom