• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why do most people only care about graphics when it comes to next gen ?

samoilaaa

I think this is because it kinda has to be.

AAA games are so inflated with costs because of ever expanding visuals and scope and hence production value (lots of actors, marketing, middleware and generally very expensive development utilities). They need to sell millions of copies and therefore have to attract the broadest audience as possible and for that need to be looking exceptional and stunning on pictures and footage, and they need to be accessible. So, games get, mechanically, """streamlined""" and usually less complex and generally easier to pick up. Innovation stays often behind. Just look at the typical big sellers and how exchangeable they are in reality, often, a bit hyperbolic, only offering new tapestry in the same old house.

Complexity of AI and interactivity? Funny enough that this was better in Assassin's Creed Unity than in any other AC come after. AI in Cyberpunk is a joke. AI in GTA V is often worse than in GTA IV as many videos on YouTube compared. Remarkable milestones are severely lacking.

Environmental destruction? Almost non-existent and very minimal when I look at The Last of Us 2 or even shooting-focused games like Gears 5 and many others. Destruction as in FEAR (over a decade ago released) should be the bare minimum standard for today and many games, even AAA, fail to achieve that. Control being an exceptional example in how good it could be (although it is a little exaggerated there of course).

NPCs in games like Gothic and Risen (games one and two decades old) felt more alive than in many modern, high budget games, because they now seem to care only about size and scope, because on paper and on videos and screenshots it looks amazing. I mean, look at Cyberpunk and you can't deny it looks amazing. But I doubt someone feels truly belonging to the world with that little NPC interaction and often broken AI.

Mechanically, many games are getting broader, not deeper. Perks and crafting and XP bars seem to be the standard in so many games these days, but real intricate, innovative and next gen mechanics are left on the track.

And looking at Horizon Forbidden West there's little next gen about it except for the visuals. Aloy can now dive and explore underwater levels, which is new in Horizon but far from new in the genre and in games. Movement and combat is more refined than next gen. Visuals are simply one of the top sellers because it's the first you see. Everyone I talked to and showed it says "wow this looks amazing! I'd try it out", even those people not playing at all.

Ironically, if you're looking for "next gen" gameplay you probably have to look at the indie branch of video games.
i think that starting 2023 we might see those true PS5/XSX gen games that have all those features except AI because an AI thats smart turns off most players

Hugare

There are so many factors, OP

Budget, time, talent and etc.

Regarding level design, there are more and more open world games out there. And with a big open world, its hard to design many interesting levels (thats why Elden Ring is a masterpiece)

tassletine

First impressions. If you're awaiting a title, you literally can't care about anything else as there's nothing else to sample.

So the OP is confusing people who 'only care' with the overwhelming amount of people responding to a new game in the only way they possibly can.

KXVXII9X

I'm not sure everyone thinks that. For me, I prefer an overall good, consistent art direction and presentation across the board. That includes, art style, atmosphere, level design, UI, HUD, Sound design/music, lighting, animation (including physics and game feel), good A.I., and attention to detail.

So far, it looks like this generation has made things slightly prettier with higher resolution and higher FPS, but a lot of games haven't evolved much in animations, physics, and AI outside a few very large studios. I would even argue some of these things have actually regressed in some games. Most games are still cross-gen and use last gen engines. I think people are eager to see actual steps forwards.

There were some elements from games from last gen that heavily impressed me. The combat and A.I. from The Last of Us, and the level of contextual animations (Sifu implemented some great contextual animations too), along with the great level design spoiled me greatly. Fights in other realistic games just feel cartoon-y and lack impact. The Last Guardian showcased some of the best A.I. I have ever seen in a game and some of the physics and animations had me in awe despite the technical issues and camera. Zelda BotW had great environment and traversal aspects with its great use of physics. It introduced so many great emergent gameplay moments and also had NPC's that had routines, which I would love to see more of in games. Bloodborne showcased top tier atmosphere and level design. Both Ori games really brought home how strong good art direction and animation are. It is still the one of the most visually striking game I have seen.

What I'm trying to get at is my expectations going into next gen were high. So far, I have seen a very small number of games wowing me. I'm heavily anticipating next gen engines and game made with next gen capabilities.

KXVXII9X

Last gen, games with demanding graphics were rarely 60fps on consoles.
A lot of the games released so far are still cross-gen though. Last gen we had MGSV and a lot of remasters at 60FPS. I think once games use more advanced lighting and physics, things will probably drop down again to 30FPS. I would rather trade 60FPS for a consistent 30FPS with much better lighting and interactivity.

Top Bottom