• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people eat lobster?

Seriously, why? It's like an expensive delicacy. The fact is, lobster used to be considered a poor mans meal before WW2. After that it became some sort of an upper echelon meal for wealthy people.
But the thing is, lobster is like the cockroach of the sea. The bottom feeder that eats worms and even other lobsters.
Why is it a delicacy? I don't get it.

INC

Not sure, maybe because of the importing after the war, making them available to the rich only, making them be an exclusive thing. I don't really like crustaceans anyway

Shrimp is my limit, id rather have squid

Last edited:

INC

Sort of related, be have a local seafood and steak restaurant up the road, who advised lobster for sale, and showed a picture on the social media, of them in the tank fresh and alive

Then some vegan or one of the other non meat eaters, made such a fuss about it being murder, they were forced to apologise and take the advert down

Just thought id share the entitlement of these cunts, forcing a restaurant to remove shit, whilst trying to run a struggling business in a pandemic.

That is all

YCoCg

Sort of related, be have a local seafood and steak restaurant up the road, who advised lobster for sale, and showed a picture on the social media, of them in the tank fresh and alive

Then some vegan or one of the other non meat eaters, made such a fuss about it being murder, they were forced to apologise and take the advert down

Just thought id share the entitlement of these cunts, forcing a restaurant to remove shit, whilst trying to run a struggling business in a pandemic.

That is all
Could they just NOT eat there if they were against fresh cooking? Oh who am I kidding, they weren't going to order anything, they just want internet points.

Mistake

That is all
Screw apologizing, I’d make a sexy commercial featuring a vegan and me in this suit

the-lobster-mens-costume.jpg

DESTROYA

OP have you ever tried lobster ?
Living in NE it’s a readily available almost at every restaurant and if done right is delicious, don’t knock it if you never tried it.
Dont get so hung up on what they eat , growing up on a farm I’ve seen chickens eat dead mice and worms also pigs eating other live baby pigs and dead chickens so it is what it is, animals are going to be animals.

INC

Screw apologizing, I’d make a sexy commercial featuring a vegan and me in this suit

the-lobster-mens-costume.jpg

sure, i think they caved, because we're a small town, and they need the business, so best to just take it down, i know a lot of people basically told them to stfu tho, and just get on with their lives

but the entitlement of it, trying to shame a business and potentially lose them money (during a pandemic), because youre a vegan or some shit. pricks

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I guess everything which is harder to get is "exlusive food" no matter how shitty it tastes. I mean I ate caviar and it's really horrible. And that's just an example. I really like sea food but you have to be near see to have sea food good tasting, the refrigerated shit which you can buy in grocery strore taste like shit.

borborygmus

Seafood is shit food

Smells rancid and it's like 60% intestines and intestinal contents and eyeballs and brain, and on top of that most fish is contaminated with mercury and other heavy metals. Sushi is full of parasites and parasite eggs.

Lobster and crab are gigantic insects.

I will never understand why people eat seafood with the exception of poor countries.

Last edited:
Smells rancid and it's like 60% intestines and intestinal contents and eyeballs and brain, and on top of that most fish is contaminated with mercury and other heavy metals. Sushi is full of parasites and parasite eggs.

Lobster and crab are gigantic insects.

I will never understand why people eat seafood with the exception of poor countries.
Because it is delicious. So much you can do with seafood it makes my head spin. Obviously people (like myself) who live close to water systems learn to cook with it and make great meals. Come down to Louisiana and experience our great food culture.

Fbh

Because it tastes nice?
Though yeah I do think the price is part of the appeal for some people. I personally prefer Crab, which is also cheaper.

The crab casserole with cheese they make around here is one of my favorite dishes
Receta-de-Pastel-de-Jaiba-Chileno.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people eat it? Seriously? Because it’s fucking delicious.

I love it so much I used to catch them. The spiny lobster in SoCal is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhoenixTank

But the thing is, lobster is like the cockroach of the sea. The bottom feeder that eats worms and even other lobsters.
Why is it a delicacy? I don't get it.
What it eats doesn't really matter... we're eating lobster muscle not lobster shit, ED.
Almost everything eats something lower on the food chain.

Is it overpriced compared to crab? Depends on the region but probably yes.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
I love when people try to make explanations of why I shouldn't like something. (Checks the history books) "Oh dear, I I don't want to be like the poor men in the 1930s"

I like it because it is delicious. Any opinions that a well-prepared lobster, with butter, isn't good, are just wrong. This is also coming from a non-seafood guy. I like shrimp, crab, lobster, and clams. That is it. You can leave all of your fish, mussels, oysters, calamari, octopus, snails, etc in the sea.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Shrimp > Lobster > Crab

Shrimp is probably the only one I genuinely like. Lobster always sounds like this amazing “treat yo self” thing but I always end up remembering I’m not a fan.

I also have a gutter palette for what it’s worth. I’d rather eat a great meatloaf, some BBQ brisket from Central Texas, or a perfectly crispy piece of chicken fried chicken over a high dollar steak for instance.

lachesis

I like lobsters, but I find the types of food you can make with it is rather limited.
The flavor is too delicate to be really used like a shrimp or crabs - especially in a broth based ones.

Top Bottom