• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why do people keep saying we haven't reached photorealism yet? am i out of the loop?

What are you doing on a discussion forum if you put everyone on ignore who disagrees with you?

I know you won’t be reading this, but I wish you all the best in life, pal.
That person isn't the only one I've seen doing this on GAF, there's another in gaming and one in off-topic as well. I guess these type of posters are just playing Forum Battle Royale and you didn't make it through the shrinking circle.

Drell

For me, photorealism has been attained since the PS3/Xbox360 gen. Games from that era may look bad by today's standards, but things like faces could already look nearly identical to real life. I'd even go further and say that some PS2/GC/XB games already had some photorealistic details about them back then. It "happened" when we got away from the early "ugly" 3DO/SAT/PSX/N64 era of 3d games.

iAoGF1y.jpg

SP2DJDT.jpg

There’s always room for improvement. Once you get something realistic, you can always improve performance, improve lighting, or improve resolution. However, I do think we are currently at a point where we are getting diminishing returns and soon we will reach a ceiling.

That said, I’m satisfied with where we are in terms of graphical fidelity and anyone complaining about it not being real are probably the same people getting excited at Palmer Luckey making a VR headset rigged with a bullet.

Drell

As some other folks here have said, attaining perfect photorealism is probably too hard and boring. We should be happy that we got far better than 1990s - 2000s pre-rendered cgi in some cases like Toy Story.

OuterLimits

Who knows, perhaps our Universe is actually merely a very powerful computer simulation(some scientists believe it, or at the very least entertain the possibility). So hey, maybe the massive video game we find ourselves in has been photorealistic for a very long time.

hussar16

Not even close to photo real. Unreal engine 5 at good settings looks near photo real but for consoles to run it we won't vet games looking like it

As some other folks here have said, attaining perfect photorealism is probably too hard and boring. We should be happy that we got far better than 1990s - 2000s pre-rendered cgi in some cases like Toy Story.
I’ll be happy when retail video games are fully 3D; Modern day video games are faking way too much geometry with textures, it’s ass. In the late 90s I use to get a way better sense of space when playing video games.

We’ve reached photorealism in games in 2013 (GTA V release).

Im pretty sure that politician played Tetris at best as his gaming experience so he didnt realize how far games have come but yeah its laughable. I think Flight Simulator can make a good case of realism but only in short bursts. Once you watch the video for 3 minutes you can tell, oh its a game not real life.

GymWolf

This is only because when something like that happen, usually is recorded by a potato camera, so the low res details are took into account as potato quality flaws.

In a high res video only blind people can mistake that for photorealism.

(I know you were joking, but still...)

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Even if it looked photorealistic (it doesn't), how would anyone have filmed it like that with such an obviously gamey camera that follows the supposed terrorist truck like that? None of the motion looks remotely real. Hilarious that people actually thought that was a real video, even if they haven't seen a video game since 1985.

Ev1L AuRoN

Because of the uncanny valley, most devs opt to make a stylized art style for their projects. We have very convincing graphics, but the characters are made in such a way that you know all the time they are digital. Driving games don't have that limitation and they can aim for a more photorealistic aesthetic.

GymWolf

A better question would be why do you even want ”Phototralism” in games? If you want it so bad go outside.
Photorealism is basically more fidelity.

You don't want a fantasy/scifi world that look so good it can be real?
It is the reason why movies cg evolved, to trick you into thinking that davy jones actually exist because his details are so life-like.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Photorealism is basically more fidelity.

You don't want a fantasy/scifi world that look so good it can be real?
It is the reason why movies cg evolved, to trick you into thinking that davy jones actually exist because his details are so life-like.
Sure in some cases it could be fun like in sports games but other then that i really don’t see it working because you interact with games in a different way than you do with movies. That’s a whole different ball game tho because you have real people/actors interacting with a fantasy world. Even then in most cases it still looks off and weird. Games however is a different medium to movies you can’t compare the two really in that way.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Been watching the kid play through the new call of duty campaign whilst making food and I swear every time I glance at the screen it looks like he's watching a movie, some of the scenes are straight up photorealistic, the engine they use is incredible

GymWolf

Sure in some cases it could be fun like in sports games but other then that i really don’t see it working because you interact with games in a different way than you do with movies. That’s a whole different ball game tho because you have real people/actors interacting with a fantasy world. Even then in most cases it still looks off and weird. Games however is a different medium to movies you can’t compare the two really in that way.
They are both form of media that try to immerse the user.

And from a technical standpoint, every nerd dream of real time graphic that looks as real as real life, it is just a matter of being impressed by how much graphic have progressed throught the years.

It is not just eyecandy, it is a mix of many factors to finally see photorealistic graphic.

Of course it doesn't work with every game, that's why we have some many genres, game developers and publishers, having some photorealistic games is not gonna cut the legs of games with a different artstyle.

I mean for fuck sake today the most succesful games are stuff with shitty art design like fortnite, minecraft and roblox, just to prove that silly\unrealistic art design is not going anywhere and there is space for everything.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nah, plenty of realistic games this gen give me so much uncanny valley feels that I rather avoid them before doing a conscious effort most of the time to try avoid it mentally... But yesterday I tried the Matrix demo and DAMN, it looks so natural, just way out of whatever shown in any last or cross gen game, it feels doesn't feel uncanny valley-ish it whatever it's called... I'll be happy once we can get those graphics, not even HFW come close to that, hell is say HFW is one of the most uncanny valley triggers I've had so far...

nemiroff

Gold Member
A better question would be why do you even want ”Phototralism” in games? If you want it so bad go outside.
Unfortunately there are no dragons outside where I live. And also while there are fighter jets outside sometimes, for some reason I'm not allowed to fly them...

Flutta

Banned
Unfortunately there are no dragons outside where I live. And also while there are fighter jets outside sometimes, for some reason I'm not allowed to fly them...
Dragons will never look ”real” because you know they’ve never existed in the first place.

Start by learning how to drive a car then go from there. Baby steps…. 😅

Top Bottom