• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do so few people talk about the REAL reason the Dreamcast failed?

SkylineRKR

Piracy was much, much more rampant on PS1. It was the de facto console for piracy from late 1997 onward. At school some guys walked around with bags full of CD-R. They were sold for 5 bucks a piece (our currency converted to dollars). For some reason every guy and their dog had their console chipped. That could usually be done for 50 bucks, there was always some guy who knew how to do it or knew one who could. I also had a modchip, initially for pirated games. Later on for buying imports, and 60hz gaming.

We had a 4x burner at home in 1998/1999. We made that thing back in weeks. Also selling PC games and VCD. We know where it went. Sony became a huge force and enjoyed their biggest success with PS2.

Saturn could also be easily pirated, but no one cared about that console. I don't think piracy hurts consoles. Piracy was rampant on 360 as well, and eventually on PS3. But those didn't suffer from it. I think piracy did hurt the PSP though. Its hard to explain, but having a dozen of handheld games on an SD card was just very convenient. PSP software didn't sell well while the system sold close to 100 million units. The attach rate of the PSP is really low which is telling. Perhaps UMD had to do with it? It was a shitty format.

Last edited:
Piracy was much, much more rampant on PS1. It was the de facto console for piracy from late 1997 onward. At school some guys walked around with bags full of CD-R. They were sold for 5 bucks a piece (our currency converted to dollars). For some reason every guy and their dog had their console chipped. That could usually be done for 50 bucks, there was always some guy who knew how to do it or knew one who could. I also had a modchip, initially for pirated games. Later on for buying imports, and 60hz gaming.

We had a 4x burner at home in 1998/1999. We made that thing back in weeks. Also selling PC games and VCD. We know where it went. Sony became a huge force and enjoyed their biggest success with PS2.

Saturn could also be easily pirated, but no one cared about that console. I don't think piracy hurts consoles. Piracy was rampant on 360 as well, and eventually on PS3. But those didn't suffer from it. I think piracy did hurt the PSP though. Its hard to explain, but having a dozen of handheld games on an SD card was just very convenient. PSP software didn't sell well while the system sold close to 100 million units. The attach rate of the PSP is really low which is telling.
I wouldn't say PSP was close to 100mill as there was a big gap, but you have to remember Sony had went into clearance territory after sales were dropping and the Go wasn't working out. They even released a super cheap wifi less model. At that point a ton of people brought PSPs because piracy had gotten so much easier even a casual could do it.

Shove isos through some homebrew software that converts to readable format shove it in stick and play. It was also a nice early video/movie/music player.

There was zero reason to buy games. I reckon this happened around 45-50 million sold which is probably what the legit sales figure is. But it was just so easy to pirate. Same thing happened with the PlayStation phone.

Dreamcast on the other hand clearly had a significant amount of buyers and game sales to prove it. People are imagining the ramped piracy.

hardware sales of dreamcast weren't that great to begin with.

It had the biggest console launch ever up to that point in the US, the market probably most done wrong by some of SEGA's previous business decisions. Also the Saturn actually has a great library, when you factor in the Japanese games. So it depends on what specific region you're discussing when talking Saturn.

The C64 failed because of piracy. It sold many units but the software sales were pretty bad.
The Dreamcast did not sell well, didn't have many heavy hitters (that really any people buy) and got really bad PR. Piracy might be another reason but I really don't think it was a big one. If piracy would have been a big think, the console would have had higher sales numbers.

I don't recall Dreamcast ever having bad PR, not in the sense of anything controversial or scandalous. It was nothing to the flavor of 360's RROD, Sony's PSN hack, or the XBO's DRM fiasco.

At most, negative news was in the form of SEGA's business prospects as a platform holder due to reported losses, but that is more on the company itself, not issues with the hardware. Some did talk about the piracy, but it wasn't necessarily a big deal. Everything else from the games to the advertising to various peripheral releases got favorable coverage from virtually every outlet, at least in Western publications.

Funny because Sony had this in 1997

W1LyU0R.png

And Nintendo this in 96

er9YvTR.jpg

Dreamcast got all of these PC games like Quake 3 which where an absolute nightmare to play as even with the N64 they made the Yellow buttons that could at least act as a way to aim on the right.

Out of the platforms if I had to guess which one created an industry standard, I'd suggest it was the two that didn't flop.

Built-in modem for online play.

SegaNet.

I'd say those were things that'd become industry standards with advent of Xbox adopting both. Also yeah the DC controller wasn't well suited for games like Quake 3 but it had an official keyboard and mouse specifically for playing those games. I think any serious gamers getting those games also picked up said keyboard & mouse.

This doesn't make sense either, the DC was able to quickly get into profit territory at $199. DC bleed money in Japan regardless of what SoJ thought was better.

It may've became profitable @ $199 quickly enough, but clearly not enough to offset losses in other areas. Hence why SoJ wanted $249.

Also even if it did become profitable @ $199, the software attach ratio wasn't high enough to offset the cut in the intended MSRP. Even if it had one of the highest attach rates in the industry at that point (although the Saturn's was higher, and higher than both N64's and PS1's), it needed to be higher.

Dane

Namco?? You know they develop Soul Calibur, right?

The Dreamcast had enough third party support, much better than the N64, and not like they needed much more to be competitve. It had tons of exclusives and great games. It had the best Sports series, it was the console king of fighters, some great Racing games, adventure games, RPGs, it had Quake III arena with online multiplayer, it had Tomb Raider...what killed the Dreamcast was piracy. The Dreamcast was sold at a loss at US$199 at launch. Think about that. That's not a typo. US$199. No console launched that cheap ever (adjusted for inflation). They needed to recoup the losses by selling software, but they simply couldn't sell enough, fast enough. Piracy killed them in the crib.
The Saturn killed the Dreamcast, the damn hardware was a hackjob so bad that Bernie Stolar knew it was already dead. The fact that Sega became absent a year and half from the market really REALLY made a major trust issue.

It had the biggest console launch ever up to that point in the US, the market probably most done wrong by some of SEGA's previous business decisions. Also the Saturn actually has a great library, when you factor in the Japanese games. So it depends on what specific region you're discussing when talking Saturn.

I don't recall Dreamcast ever having bad PR, not in the sense of anything controversial or scandalous. It was nothing to the flavor of 360's RROD, Sony's PSN hack, or the XBO's DRM fiasco.

At most, negative news was in the form of SEGA's business prospects as a platform holder due to reported losses, but that is more on the company itself, not issues with the hardware. Some did talk about the piracy, but it wasn't necessarily a big deal. Everything else from the games to the advertising to various peripheral releases got favorable coverage from virtually every outlet, at least in Western publications.

SegaNet.

I'd say those were things that'd become industry standards with advent of Xbox adopting both. Also yeah the DC controller wasn't well suited for games like Quake 3 but it had an official keyboard and mouse specifically for playing those games. I think any serious gamers getting those games also picked up said keyboard & mouse.

It may've became profitable @ $199 quickly enough, but clearly not enough to offset losses in other areas. Hence why SoJ wanted $249.

Also even if it did become profitable @ $199, the software attach ratio wasn't high enough to offset the cut in the intended MSRP. Even if it had one of the highest attach rates in the industry at that point (although the Saturn's was higher, and higher than both N64's and PS1's), it needed to be higher.

They still would have bleed money in Japan at $249 people dont realize how bad the Dreamcast did in japan, stores had piles of stock, they had to cut the price, and spend time even after the console was announced discontinued trying to clear stock there.

The games that werent so hot in US were basically nonexistent there. You couldn't even move VF3 for free before people found out the port was bad and that was still a popular arcade title when 3tb released.

The US managed 6 million consoles in a bit over 3 years. It's arguable that if Sega consolidated their releases they probably would have survived since there would have been less flop software in japan losing money on shelves. Also they should have cut shipments faster.

Same goes for Europe. If any region should have had a country exclusive release of Shenmue 2 it should have been the US. I have no idea what Sega was smoking making that exclusive to two regions where the Dreamcast cratered like the berlin wall.

So you already had an overproduced prequel that didn't make the money back, now you lose near the same amount making the sequel exclusive to two regions that didn't buy the first one? Lolololol.

And then to top it all off, they make the Xbox version, over a year late, not In japan but in NA, then release a EU version another year late?

These are the types of decisions that show why Sega was incompetent.

The Saturn killed the Dreamcast,
Nope.

I dont know why people are pretending the Dreamcast wasnt popular, at least in the US. It was never going to be big in Europe.

The only place I can see Saturn killing the Dreamcast is Japan, but even than that was more about Sony and Nintendo locking Sega out of franchises they had access to on the Saturn, and not so much the Saturn itself.

Dane

Nope.

I dont know why people are pretending the Dreamcast wasnt popular, at least in the US. It was never going to be big in Europe.

The only place I can see Saturn killing the Dreamcast is Japan, but even than that was more about Sony and Nintendo locking Sega out of franchises they had access to on the Saturn, and not so much the Saturn itself.
How not? Once 64 came out in the west the Saturn's third party support diminished, by 97 it got significantly less games and by 98 it only got like 8 games. The Dreamcast had a popular and way more successful launch than the Saturn, it sold almost the same numbers with way less time in production, but most people didn't trust Sega to keep on.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The controller that basically gave us the now industry standard design of triggers and the analogue stick as the default input?
The triggers were such a great evolution, especially in racing games the change was felt immediately. However, missing another analog stick was a shitty decision. And the controller didn't have enough buttons.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pirates for sure but sega didn’t perform in a perfect world they had 3+ more AAA exclusives there’s some that say that sega gave up too soon.

The Saturn killed the Dreamcast, the damn hardware was a hackjob so bad that Bernie Stolar knew it was already dead. The fact that Sega became absent a year and half from the market really REALLY made a major trust issue.
You can have duds like the Wii U or Gamecube, the first Xbox, and if people like your product they will get on board. The Dreamcast was alright for the little time it had, it had good hardware sales, but Sega pulled the plug because they weren't making back with software sales.

JCK75

SegaNet.

Both Sony and Nintendo had announced modems that never released because the connection types where changing to cable internet at the time, Microsoft modeled after PC online play and had an Ethernet port.

SScorpio

Both Sony and Nintendo had announced modems that never released because the connection types where changing to cable internet at the time, Microsoft modeled after PC online play and had an Ethernet port.

Nintendo released both the Broadband Adapter and a Modem Adapter to retail.

The Japanese Sony adapter was Ethernet only, this was the same adapter than was released in the US with the official PS2 Linux Kit. But the retail adapter in the US had both Ethernet and a modem built-in.

The Dreamcast shipping with a modem made much more sense, at the time of its release almost nobody had broadband. It's the same with people complaining about it not having DVD support, it just wasn't feasible when it came out. Sony was taking a bath on the DVD drives in the PS2 at launch. The Dreamcast launched in Japan 2 years before the PS2 came out.

Dane

You can have duds like the Wii U or Gamecube, the first Xbox, and if people like your product they will get on board. The Dreamcast was alright for the little time it had, it had good hardware sales, but Sega pulled the plug because they weren't making back with software sales.
OG Xbox wasn't even a dud for a newcomer and still managed to get ahead of GC with one less year of production. The DC initially sold well and lifetime sales were roughly the same as saturn in just over two and half years of production. The thing it was way too damn hard to even project a scenario where the DC could survive

1)Being a year and half out of the western market is the biggest issue, trust was corroded. They could have released the DC alongside Japan in 98, but the launch line there was mediocre at best, but there wouldn't be no gap. The US release was a major marketing planing to make ammends with all the wrongdoings with the saturn: A Massive marketing, proper third party deals, worthy catalogue to be available at launch, and more excelent software coming the next weeks and months instead of having 12 month drought like every new generation start.

2)EA being out was because they wanted to take advantage of Sega weak position to force an sports exclusivity deal or no support, Stolar had just bought Visual Concepts and said he couldn't do it, VC games were considered just as great, if not better, than EA Sports titles. But it really did hurt the lack of these famous franchises and the non sports ones such as Need For Speed.

3)The pricing: This is controversial, the 199 dollar price was already something they were doing in Japan before the US release, one could argue that at 250 dollars it wouldn't have any effect of making customers away from buying it or only a very small percentage, on the other hand, the poor position could have been the major factor to make a market share quick as possible with the price, to make things worse the PS1 and 64 had their prices cut to just 99 dollars just a month before.

IMO, either Sega should have released it worldwide in 98 and try to get on board many western developers as possible to rush something for the launch window, because people would have bought anyways it due to being a new generation system, or accept that Visual Concepts was a near loss and let EA have the exclusivity. Also Shenmue was a good seller on the western release even if it was when the PS2 had been released worldwide, I don't know why Sega had released it's localized version a year after its Japanese launch, it was the next big thing at the time, they wasted potential extra million copies there.

JCK75

Nintendo released both the Broadband Adapter and a Modem Adapter to retail.

The Japanese Sony adapter was Ethernet only, this was the same adapter than was released in the US with the official PS2 Linux Kit. But the retail adapter in the US had both Ethernet and a modem built-in.

The Dreamcast shipping with a modem made much more sense, at the time of its release almost nobody had broadband. It's the same with people complaining about it not having DVD support, it just wasn't feasible when it came out. Sony was taking a bath on the DVD drives in the PS2 at launch. The Dreamcast launched in Japan 2 years before the PS2 came out.

Again stop pretending the handful of games you could play badly over dial up was a standard picked up by anyone, online play was growing on PC and this is what lead to formation of Xbox Live..
Dreamcast was a flop and inspired noone even if it did some things right..

SomeGit

Again stop pretending the handful of games you could play badly over dial up was a standard picked up by anyone, online play was growing on PC and this is what lead to formation of Xbox Live..
It pretty hard to not see some SegaNet/DreamArena influence on the design of Xbox Live. The online wave on PC was always going to go consoles, but I don't think it's fair to say that they didn't look at Dreamcast.

JCK75

It pretty hard to not see some SegaNet/DreamArena influence on the design of Xbox Live. The online wave on PC was always going to go consoles, but I don't think it's fair to say that they didn't look at Dreamcast.

I mean the only online game I had was PSO, but from what I could see there was not much to it especially being a PC gamer at the time.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
but from what I could see there was not much to it especially being a PC gamer at the time.
It was the first of its kind on console and even on PC there weren't exactly many online RPG's.

There was even DLC on the DC. And a web browser. There were several games with online compatibility. This was hugely promoted by Sega. It wasn't some random gimmick that got used for one or two games like it was with the Gamecube or the Saturn. A lot of games had at least some sort of online functionality.
It was the first serious leap into online gaming on consoles. Anything before that were baby steps at best. And this doesn't even include things like microphones on a controller used for voice chat and obscurities like Sea Man.

As for the analog triggers, they are such an important feature for racing games, making it hard to go back to digital shoulder buttons. The difference is huge. Not so much for arcade racing (well, it depends on the game) but for stuff like Le Mans or Ferrari Challenge it was the next logical step. Triggers also have other uses, that's why it became standard and is still used to this day, similar to like it was on the DC, just in a much improved state. The 2K sports series started on Dreamcast and arguably took the crown from EA's NBA and NHL games. Shenmue was an early look into AAA sandbox gaming.

There are plenty very creative games on the Dreamcast.

dcbios_shot1.jpg

Even the dashboard felt modern for …1998/9

It's asinine to claim the Dreamcast had no influence.

SScorpio

I'm not the one pretending. Only letting you know that Nintendo and Sony did release modems while you said they announced them but didn't.

Phantasy Star Online 1&2, and PSO Episode 3 being the only modem supporting games isn't a limit of the modem. Those are the only two games that support online with the Broadband adapter as well. I believe it was Mario Kart and Kirby's Air Ride that had LAN play, and people were using Kai or something similar to play those online.

The PS2 had many more games that could be played online with the modem including MMOs (FFXI, and EverQuest Adventures). Though some later games required broadband.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_online_games

It's great that it sounds like you had broad band back then, I didn't get it until 2003-2004ish. And many people still used dial up into 2005 when the 360 came out and also required broad band.

How not? Once 64 came out in the west the Saturn's third party support diminished, by 97 it got significantly less games and by 98 it only got like 8 games. The Dreamcast had a popular and way more successful launch than the Saturn, it sold almost the same numbers with way less time in production, but most people didn't trust Sega to keep on.
You think the Saturn lost third party support to the N64? They barely had it in 96 before the N64 came out.

Dreamcast was still hot when the ps2 came out, this commonly cited lemming minded belief the PS2 killed it and the Dreamcast wasnt popular doesn't hold up.

The issue eventually became people only really wanted to buy a Dreamcast for Visual concepts, and for the more niche crowd fighting games. So there wasn't enough games that sold to a wide enough demographical to drive console adoption.

You can see how big Dreamcast was with around 5-6 million sold in the US in such a short amount of time. It sold as long as it could off that shrinking demographic.

Online was planned from the start of the Xbox and the similarities to their platform on PC is hard to debate. Since Xbox was started at the same or before the Dreamcasts japanese launch, and an online component was being designed at the time of the US launch, it's iffy.

MS helped Sega with the DC in ways so I'm sure they looked at what worked or not, but saying the DC influenced line seems a bit much.

They weren't making money on hardware either, at least outside the US.

OG Xbox wasn't even a dud for a newcomer and still managed to get ahead of GC with one less year of production. The DC initially sold well and lifetime sales were roughly the same as saturn in just over two and half years of production. The thing it was way too damn hard to even project a scenario where the DC could survive

1)Being a year and half out of the western market is the biggest issue, trust was corroded. They could have released the DC alongside Japan in 98, but the launch line there was mediocre at best, but there wouldn't be no gap. The US release was a major marketing planing to make ammends with all the wrongdoings with the saturn: A Massive marketing, proper third party deals, worthy catalogue to be available at launch, and more excelent software coming the next weeks and months instead of having 12 month drought like every new generation start.

2)EA being out was because they wanted to take advantage of Sega weak position to force an sports exclusivity deal or no support, Stolar had just bought Visual Concepts and said he couldn't do it, VC games were considered just as great, if not better, than EA Sports titles. But it really did hurt the lack of these famous franchises and the non sports ones such as Need For Speed.

3)The pricing: This is controversial, the 199 dollar price was already something they were doing in Japan before the US release, one could argue that at 250 dollars it wouldn't have any effect of making customers away from buying it or only a very small percentage, on the other hand, the poor position could have been the major factor to make a market share quick as possible with the price, to make things worse the PS1 and 64 had their prices cut to just 99 dollars just a month before.

IMO, either Sega should have released it worldwide in 98 and try to get on board many western developers as possible to rush something for the launch window, because people would have bought anyways it due to being a new generation system, or accept that Visual Concepts was a near loss and let EA have the exclusivity. Also Shenmue was a good seller on the western release even if it was when the PS2 had been released worldwide, I don't know why Sega had released it's localized version a year after its Japanese launch, it was the next big thing at the time, they wasted potential extra million copies there.

EA is a strange cited reason, Sega's VC sports games literally kept the console a float and was the best selling franchises on the system, yes more than Sonic too.

SomeGit

Online was planned from the start of the Xbox and the similarities to their platform on PC is hard to debate. Since Xbox was started at the same or before the Dreamcasts japanese launch, and an online component was being designed at the time of the US launch, it's iffy.

MS helped Sega with the DC in ways so I'm sure they looked at what worked or not, but saying the DC influenced line seems a bit much.

I don't know much about the development of Xbox Live, was it even in development that early? I remember it launching way after the console launch, around end of 2002 but I might be wrong on that date.
But it doesn't seem to be to far fetched to me that they look at the what worked in 1999 on the Dreamcast and at least took some notes from it. But I could be totally off, I don't remember how MS handled their online PC titles at the time, it's possible that it's just an iteration of that.

Last edited:
Real reason was the PS2 juggernaut sitting on the horizon. It's that simple. Piracy exacerbated the situation, but it wasn't the main reason by any stretch.

They still would have bleed money in Japan at $249 people dont realize how bad the Dreamcast did in japan, stores had piles of stock, they had to cut the price, and spend time even after the console was announced discontinued trying to clear stock there.

Well, I was a kid when Dreamcast launched so I never knew about its problems in Japan or really understood SEGA's financial issues at the time. However, I would still remember magazines like EGM mentioning that stuff every now and again in their news sections. When I got older is when I started learning about SEGA as a corporation and that's when a lot of the business decisions started to hit me in a way I was old enough to comprehend fully.

From my understanding, it was always the issue that in Japan, SEGA just released Dreamcast too early. Saturn was still doing well there, and SEGA could've put more 1P support towards it in '98 and early '99, which probably would've helped with their finances in areas and also helped justify perhaps getting a DVD drive in the Dreamcast by default. That later release date in Japan would've also made sure their 1P releases weren't delayed or had massive bugs at launch, and probably have more software at the time of DC launch there, too.

It would've meant a later release in America which might've been problematic, unless SEGA could find a way to do a simultaneous launch in both regions in late '99 or do Japan in mid '99 and America in late '99. Otherwise it'd be a Dreamcast for the US in probably June 2000 at earliest (coincide the launch with a strong E3 showing) and having just a few months to build up momentum before PS2 coming out four months later.

Considering the PS2 itself didn't have a lot of great games at launch and didn't start getting its bangers until GT3 (May 2001), while I don't think Dreamcast could ever have a lead over PS2 I think it could've held good ground and, more importantly, make things harder for Gamecube and Xbox, cutting into their eventual marketshare.

It'd of been enough for SEGA to persist with Dreamcast for a full generation and build up stability for a successor. Basically, doing what Microsoft actually did with the OG Xbox to build up brand strength for the 360.

The games that werent so hot in US were basically nonexistent there. You couldn't even move VF3 for free before people found out the port was bad and that was still a popular arcade title when 3tb released.

IMO VF3 should've gotten the Soul Calibur/Tekken Tag treatment. The Model 3 version looked great, but it felt outdated visually compared to those games three years after its release. The bigger issue was lack of extra content for the home, but that was a general problem with a lot of SEGA's arcade ports of the time. Seldom did they put in a bevy of extra content for the home versions, meanwhile Namco did that regularly and it was a massive benefit.

The US managed 6 million consoles in a bit over 3 years. It's arguable that if Sega consolidated their releases they probably would have survived since there would have been less flop software in japan losing money on shelves. Also they should have cut shipments faster.

You sure it was 3? They made the announcement in January 2001 from my research, so that was barely 1.5 years after its American launch. I can't recall when they officially stopped taking count of numbers but suppose they continued 'till September '01 that'd of been 2 years, not 3.

Which goes to prove your point tho that they really maybe should've just focused on the American region in particular, and Europe to a smaller extent. But, this was still a SEGA that wasn't far removed time-wise from the Saturn era, which had the Japanese division literally more or less ruin the Western branches' efforts out of spite. They sacrificed those markets for Japan, and I don't think SEGA would ever consider giving up Japan to focus on stronger performance in non-Japanese markets, especially that soon after Saturn.

Same goes for Europe. If any region should have had a country exclusive release of Shenmue 2 it should have been the US. I have no idea what Sega was smoking making that exclusive to two regions where the Dreamcast cratered like the berlin wall.

So you already had an overproduced prequel that didn't make the money back, now you lose near the same amount making the sequel exclusive to two regions that didn't buy the first one? Lolololol.

Yeah, again, I think it was a holdover of the poor upper-management side of SEGA of Japan still basically calling the shots. I think there was still some spite there over SEGA of America and the American region being so successful with Genesis whereas SoJ bombed with MegaDrive in Japan.

And then to top it all off, they make the Xbox version, over a year late, not In japan but in NA, then release a EU version another year late?

These are the types of decisions that show why Sega was incompetent.

Pretty much.

Nope.

TBH there was a chance Dreamcast could've been a success in Europe; while the Saturn bombed there, the MegaDrive beat SNES in Europe as a whole, and if SEGA could've appealed to European gamers tapping that MegaDrive era it could've stolen a bit of Sony's thunder and mindshare I think.

But in order to do that, they would've needed to focus on MegaDrive IP that players actually remembered. They had Sonic, but no new Streets of Rage. No new Eternal Champions. No new Shining Force, etc. They would've needed as many of those returning as possible, along with maybe a new game in an IP associated with Sony at the launch as to make a statement.

The bigger problem was that SEGA simply ran out of money they could allocate to continued Dreamcast production, distribution, and marketing. They weren't generating enough revenue (or profit) to do so.

IMO an early '99 launch in Japan would've been much better. Would've given Saturn more time for itself in the Japanese market, and ensured games like Sonic weren't delayed from the initial launch. I don't know if this later timing would've afforded them to add a DVD drive, but I actually think instead of adding a DVD drive or a modem by default, SEGA should've added a HDD instead, and found a way to partner with some film studios to release their movies in the GD-ROM format.

This way, they could've advertised Dreamcast on having playback features (essentially) in line with a DVD player, and with the included HDD could've opened up possibilities for both games and media playback that wouldn't of been possible on a PS2 (as it lacked a HDD). They were also already close with companies like JVC and Hitachi, they could've set up something with those companies, and others like NEC, making GD-ROM movie players that were backwards-compatible with VCDs, pitching them as a cheaper but capable alternative to DVD players.

Yeah, it'd of been another format war and one well before HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, and I'm not necessarily saying or thinking GD-ROM would've won out in the end, but pushing the format at that level would've really benefited Dreamcast among the mainstream IMO, even if just for the format war rivalry, and of helped with it benefiting in the eyes of many as a system capable of multimedia film playback similar to PS2, just with a different format.

Even supposing the format war was over by say 2002 or early 2003 in favor of DVD, it would've had enough benefit for Dreamcast to persist staying relevant and inadvertently hurting Gamecube even more, although Xbox complicates that scenario if they decide to go with DVD anyway, maybe helping bring that format war to an end slightly sooner as a result.

Apparently (Jenovi covered this in one of their vids) this wasn't the main reason EA rejected Dreamcast. They had an investment in 3Dfx and wanted SEGA to pick their design for Dreamcast. Due to the leak from the lawsuit tho, they picked the Japanese design, meaning EA would be losing out on millions from console sales since they weren't using the 3Dfx design.

I think $249 would've helped offsetting lowered attach rates, as generally DC attach rates were lower than the Saturn's (altho the Saturn had an abnormally high attach rate, TBF, more than both PS1 and N64).

I mean the only online game I had was PSO, but from what I could see there was not much to it especially being a PC gamer at the time.

By that logic you could say there wasn't much to most console games at the time since quite a few had PC equivalents. Why bother with GoldenEye 007 when you had Quake and Unreal Tournament? Why bother with FF VII when you had Might & Magic & Ultima?

Why have bothered with almost any of the fighting and racing games when a lot of them had arcade versions which were better on a technical level, and had more multiplayer/networking options?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The issue eventually became people only really wanted to buy a Dreamcast for Visual concepts, and for the more niche crowd fighting games. So there wasn't enough games that sold to a wide enough demographical to drive console adoption.
I agree. If someone hated EA Sports games and liked the 2k games you were in heaven. For some, that might had been enough to buy a DC. And if a gamer liked Sega arcade games (especially VF), that surely would be enough.

I didn't bother. I played NFL 2k when I rented a DC and it was awesome, but I'm not a big enough football fan.

My fav franchises/games from PS1 were NHL, Ace Combat, Tekken, Colony Wars, MGS, Castlevania SotN, Gran Turismo, even Intelligent Qube.

When DC was getting pumped up with game previews and then actual releases, I didn't see any games that matched or came close to any of these. So why bother. Soul Calibur was awesome as I rented that too, but I'm not a Soul Edge fan as I thought that game was a random button mashing fighter. Where's Tekken? The games I rented were NFK 2k, SC and Armada. Nothing else I saw I cared about enough to test out. And none of these 3 games were enough to make me buy a DC.

The at some point, PS2 hype was picking up steam, included a DVD player and DC was fizzling out. By the time PS2 launched in Canada, DC was already dead and stopped releasing games soon after!

Last edited:
Well, I was a kid when Dreamcast launched so I never knew about its problems in Japan or really understood SEGA's financial issues at the time. However, I would still remember magazines like EGM mentioning that stuff every now and again in their news sections. When I got older is when I started learning about SEGA as a corporation and that's when a lot of the business decisions started to hit me in a way I was old enough to comprehend fully.

From my understanding, it was always the issue that in Japan, SEGA just released Dreamcast too early. Saturn was still doing well there, and SEGA could've put more 1P support towards it in '98 and early '99, which probably would've helped with their finances in areas and also helped justify perhaps getting a DVD drive in the Dreamcast by default. That later release date in Japan would've also made sure their 1P releases weren't delayed or had massive bugs at launch, and probably have more software at the time of DC launch there, too.

It would've meant a later release in America which might've been problematic, unless SEGA could find a way to do a simultaneous launch in both regions in late '99 or do Japan in mid '99 and America in late '99. Otherwise it'd be a Dreamcast for the US in probably June 2000 at earliest (coincide the launch with a strong E3 showing) and having just a few months to build up momentum before PS2 coming out four months later.

Considering the PS2 itself didn't have a lot of great games at launch and didn't start getting its bangers until GT3 (May 2001), while I don't think Dreamcast could ever have a lead over PS2 I think it could've held good ground and, more importantly, make things harder for Gamecube and Xbox, cutting into their eventual marketshare.

It'd of been enough for SEGA to persist with Dreamcast for a full generation and build up stability for a successor. Basically, doing what Microsoft actually did with the OG Xbox to build up brand strength for the 360.

The Saturn was still selling modestly in Japan but it had already experienced it's decline by the time the Dreamcast came out. Yes, SoJ reacted too fast with the DC instead of getting it ready first because they wanted to try and increase market share there. After all they almost had a chance with the Saturn until the second year. But honestly the limited success of the Saturn in Japan was really a one time thing, uncertainty of the PSX early on and the Nintendo delay were major factors that helped Sega temporarily.

As for the US, releasing late isn't an option. Certain early games sold well because of the new graphics people were seeing. Being closer to the PS2 wouldn't make that as special, and Visual Concepts wouldn't have that head start to get people to try and become fans of their games, or at least as much.

There wasn't much Sega could do with the Dreamcast in japan and that should have been obvious to SoJ earlier but they were stubborn on that. Lowering shipments and selling existing stock would have gone a long way in helping to stop the bleeding.

IMO VF3 should've gotten the Soul Calibur/Tekken Tag treatment. The Model 3 version looked great, but it felt outdated visually compared to those games three years after its release. The bigger issue was lack of extra content for the home, but that was a general problem with a lot of SEGA's arcade ports of the time. Seldom did they put in a bevy of extra content for the home versions, meanwhile Namco did that regularly and it was a massive benefit.

Even so the fact they didn't port VF3 early enough and did so late was already a major issue for Japan, sure it wouldn't really solve the problem alone but could have helped move systems earlier and set up for a sequel, which Sega also decided not to do, along with releasing 3TB late and rushing a port job to a third party who rushed the port in kind.

Soul Calibur was not a replacement there.

You sure it was 3? They made the announcement in January 2001 from my research, so that was barely 1.5 years after its American launch. I can't recall when they officially stopped taking count of numbers but suppose they continued 'till September '01 that'd of been 2 years, not 3.

Which goes to prove your point tho that they really maybe should've just focused on the American region in particular, and Europe to a smaller extent. But, this was still a SEGA that wasn't far removed time-wise from the Saturn era, which had the Japanese division literally more or less ruin the Western branches' efforts out of spite. They sacrificed those markets for Japan, and I don't think SEGA would ever consider giving up Japan to focus on stronger performance in non-Japanese markets, especially that soon after Saturn.

Sega was still selling consoles and having some new releases into 2002 in US. And trying to clear stock in Japan until 2003 iirc.

Also yes, at best they should have followed Europe's model domestically in japan, were you drop or scale down shipments and marketing in lower selling areas and scale for the others. Instead SoJ was expecting a good early jump. Then ignored that not working and went with the shelf stuffing strategy leading to much unsold inventory.

And yes I would argue that did take away resources for marketing and hardware in the US. Sega should have gone 90% in if they wanted to stand a chance. Even Europe was the better bet over Japan.

But like I said with Shenmue 2 skipping the DCs best selling market, it was clear the priorities were clearly wrong. There's no way that game was going to save DC in Japan or make a splash in Europe, additionally they lost a lot of money on development, and desperately needed to make it back.

There's clearly some malicious intent with these decisions to make such stubborn and stupid move.

TBH there was a chance Dreamcast could've been a success in Europe; while the Saturn bombed there, the MegaDrive beat SNES in Europe as a whole, and if SEGA could've appealed to European gamers tapping that MegaDrive era it could've stolen a bit of Sony's thunder and mindshare I think.

But in order to do that, they would've needed to focus on MegaDrive IP that players actually remembered. They had Sonic, but no new Streets of Rage. No new Eternal Champions. No new Shining Force, etc. They would've needed as many of those returning as possible, along with maybe a new game in an IP associated with Sony at the launch as to make a statement.

They would have needed bigger franchises than those to move more units in Europe, but many marketed games were not taking into account local interests anyway.

They really needed to push more action games and soccer, which was basically forgotten by Sega as a way to move Euro sales. Another baffling move.

Between the two, I think there are more games exclusive to Europe than US, and much of those games aren't console sellers, several niche, nearly all would do better in US. Absolutely crazy.

I don't think I've ever seen a forum thread about the Dreamcast where piracy wasn't mentioned within about 5 posts, so I'm not sure where the OP is even coming from.

I always assumed the Dreamcast failed because of timing. This is when console videogames went from a relatively novel form of entertainment to a global entertainment juggernaut that we see today. That change came with a lot of business and market factors that Sega (as a pretty small company) just want prepared for.

RAIDEN1

It failed because of the financial hammering Sega took between 1991 to 1995 ...Sega CD didn't live up to its potential....Saturn was a 2d powerhouse in a 3d arena, and some wise-guys at Sega thought lets build a 32x bridge and then dismantle it when the Saturn is out the door.....circa 1998 Sega had no margin for error....and their pockets weren't as deep as Sony's for them to go toe to toe...

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
People have got some funny "reasons" for why the Dreamcast failed.
But I'll say this, and I'm talking from a UK respective I remember walking into electronic/game stores and there would be kiosks and ads everywhere.
The same few games repeated across 5-6 modules.
Playstation had lost floor space, something new had arrived
But was still dominant and not push to back with the N64 and used game section.
Months went by and the game catalogue increased slowly like most new systems.
This was looking good for Sega and it look like they had a sure hit with the Dreamcast.
There was always people around the kiosk

24 November something had changed.
The Playstation 2 had a Pre-launch
hqdefault.jpg

Playstation had taken up the entirety of gaming stores
The Dreamcast had a new home next to the N64 & used games.
Now the shelves was dominated by PS2/PSX/DVD.
it was over and you couldn't even buy a PS2 until March the following year but the hype was real.
It never had a chance.

I agree. If someone hated EA Sports games and liked the 2k games you were in heaven. For some, that might had been enough to buy a DC. And if a gamer liked Sega arcade games (especially VF), that surely would be enough.

I didn't bother. I played NFL 2k when I rented a DC and it was awesome, but I'm not a big enough football fan.

My fav franchises/games from PS1 were NHL, Ace Combat, Tekken, Colony Wars, MGS, Castlevania SotN, Gran Turismo, even Intelligent Qube.

When DC was getting pumped up with game previews and then actual releases, I didn't see any games that matched or came close to any of these. So why bother. Soul Calibur was awesome as I rented that too, but I'm not a Soul Edge fan as I thought that game was a random button mashing fighter. Where's Tekken? The games I rented were NFK 2k, SC and Armada. Nothing else I saw I cared about enough to test out. And none of these 3 games were enough to make me buy a DC.

The at some point, PS2 hype was picking up steam, included a DVD player and DC was fizzling out. By the time PS2 launched in Canada, DC was already dead and stopped releasing games soon after!

One thing you'd have to of kept in mind is that a lot of the games you mentioned were late-gen PS1 releases, so it would've been a bit unrealistic to expect games of those exact types, with DC-tier graphics, Day 1 with the system launch. Though with better planning I think SEGA could've at least secured some other major 3P exclusive, timed even, for the Dreamcast that would've fit some of those segments, because the only other option would've been to do it in-house.

The Saturn was still selling modestly in Japan but it had already experienced it's decline by the time the Dreamcast came out. Yes, SoJ reacted too fast with the DC instead of getting it ready first because they wanted to try and increase market share there. After all they almost had a chance with the Saturn until the second year. But honestly the limited success of the Saturn in Japan was really a one time thing, uncertainty of the PSX early on and the Nintendo delay were major factors that helped Sega temporarily.

The focus SoJ had to take off the Saturn to shift to Dreamcast is a direct correlation between Saturn starting to decline there and build-up for Dreamcast occurring, though. It's a very clear link IMO.

I wouldn't say PS1 uncertainty and N64 delay were the only major factors that helped SEGA in the 1994-1997 period (going by that logic, the N64 delay was also a major factor benefiting the PS1 especially in Japan). When a game like Virtua Fighter (and then VF2) has a near 1:1 attach ratio with system sales out of the gate, I think you have to contribute some of Saturn's early success in the Japan reason to SEGA's software output.

Especially considering that attach ratios were higher for Saturn than PS1 throughout the generation in that region, it wasn't just early unknowns with the PS1 and N64 being delayed which played big factors for Saturn, otherwise other systems like the Jaguar would've seen better sales, same with the PC-FX, and the 3DO would've lasted longer in the Japanese market than it did, too.

As for the US, releasing late isn't an option. Certain early games sold well because of the new graphics people were seeing. Being closer to the PS2 wouldn't make that as special, and Visual Concepts wouldn't have that head start to get people to try and become fans of their games, or at least as much.

That's one way to look at it, for sure. But a delay in Japan specifically would've given more time for Saturn, more time for bug-free Japanese DC launch and more units available at launch (NEC could've fulfilled their PowerVR2 manufacturing targets). An early '99 Japan/late '99 American launch doesn't change much for the Western side of things but could've really benefited Japan.

There wasn't much Sega could do with the Dreamcast in japan and that should have been obvious to SoJ earlier but they were stubborn on that. Lowering shipments and selling existing stock would have gone a long way in helping to stop the bleeding.

But this was due to SEGA's own doing rushing the Dreamcast to market before a lot of their Japanese base or even large chunks of the Japanese gaming community were ready. A lot of Japanese Saturn owners felt betrayed by Dreamcast getting rushed to market, SEGA basically made the same mistake with Dreamcast in Japan they made for Saturn in the West as a result.

This could've been avoided and because so I do think they could've salvaged Japan but it'd of had to been done before the system released, and if that meant delaying it to early 1999 then so be it. Also IMO the Japanese DC launch should've had a JRPG present, maybe an upgraded version of Shining The Holy Ark or Panzer Dragoon Saga, or a preview for Skies of Arcadia included with each system as a decently-sized demo disc. That they didn't see the need for a JRPG early in its life when FFVII (and DQVII even moreso) took Japan by storm.

Maybe they could've gotten another Soul Hackers follow-up from Atlus, point is they needed a JRPG for the Japanese Dreamcast launch.

Even so the fact they didn't port VF3 early enough and did so late was already a major issue for Japan, sure it wouldn't really solve the problem alone but could have helped move systems earlier and set up for a sequel, which Sega also decided not to do, along with releasing 3TB late and rushing a port job to a third party who rushed the port in kind.

Soul Calibur was not a replacement there.

Definitely. I think the VF3 port should've been done with an add-on cartridge, basically a new SVP-style device, included with VF3 to make it closer to the arcade version, and release that for Saturn in 1997, then do a content expansion in 1998 for Saturn while packaging both together with upgraded graphics on Dreamcast for the Japanese DC launch.

They wouldn't of really needed the add-on cartridge per-se, but I think if one region would've been okay with it, it'd of been Japan. Bring VF3 to the West without the cart or if so, provide two versions where the cart'd of been optional. VF3 definitely needed a home port earlier than 1998 and the thing is it's not like VF2's Saturn port was arcade-perfect visually either, yet it did very well in Japan. The Japanese side of the market pretty much proved they would likely be more than okay with certain visual compromises as long as they could've played the game on their Saturns.

Sega was still selling consoles and having some new releases into 2002 in US. And trying to clear stock in Japan until 2003 iirc.

Also yes, at best they should have followed Europe's model domestically in japan, were you drop or scale down shipments and marketing in lower selling areas and scale for the others. Instead SoJ was expecting a good early jump. Then ignored that not working and went with the shelf stuffing strategy leading to much unsold inventory.

Yeah, that was completely idiotic of SoJ but again I'm not surprised; it's SoJ. In terms of home consoles at least they seemed to always have the worst business decisions for anything outside of Japan (and even there they routinely screwed up outside of the Saturn, where screw-ups still happened just notably less so).

And yes I would argue that did take away resources for marketing and hardware in the US. Sega should have gone 90% in if they wanted to stand a chance. Even Europe was the better bet over Japan.

Agreed.

But like I said with Shenmue 2 skipping the DCs best selling market, it was clear the priorities were clearly wrong. There's no way that game was going to save DC in Japan or make a splash in Europe, additionally they lost a lot of money on development, and desperately needed to make it back.

There's clearly some malicious intent with these decisions to make such stubborn and stupid move.

IIRC didn't Shenmue's R&D basically also serve to cover R&D for several other SEGA games like VF4? That's how I remember it being pitched a couple of times back in the day. Suzuki was basically building an engine in Shenmue that could serve for other SEGA games, and I think that's supported by later releases like Yakuza building off Shenmue's DNA.

So Shenmue as a whole may've not recouped its costs but the R&D put into its engine helped reduce dev costs for a lot of SEGA's future releases, at least that gen.

They would have needed bigger franchises than those to move more units in Europe, but many marketed games were not taking into account local interests anyway.

They really needed to push more action games and soccer, which was basically forgotten by Sega as a way to move Euro sales. Another baffling move.

Between the two, I think there are more games exclusive to Europe than US, and much of those games aren't console sellers, several niche, nearly all would do better in US. Absolutely crazy.

Yeah it's insane that they did seem to ignore soccer in the European region WRT Visual Concepts. That should've been a priority.

It failed because of the financial hammering Sega took between 1991 to 1995 ...Sega CD didn't live up to its potential....Saturn was a 2d powerhouse in a 3d arena, and some wise-guys at Sega thought lets build a 32x bridge and then dismantle it when the Saturn is out the door.....circa 1998 Sega had no margin for error....and their pockets weren't as deep as Sony's for them to go toe to toe...

Huh? SEGA didn't take any financial hammerings in '91 to '95, you clearly got a bad source on that one. Genesis sales in the Americas and Europe were very strong for them, outpacing the SNES (in America until Holiday '94, and for Europe the entire gen). Arcades were still going pretty strong, especially thanks to the fighting game boom, which benefited other arcade games during that time period, too.
The Mega CD/SEGA CD may not've been a major success but it did well enough for an add-on and wasn't sold for a loss AFAIK, its attach ratio relative to MegaDrives/Genesis' was higher than almost any other add-on for a platform until the Wii Fit board and Kinect released. 32X was a bomb, but it didn't cost them a lot in terms of financial losses. Up until 1998 they continued to record net profits, it was in 1998 where they started reporting their first losses.

Their profit margins were definitely decreasing overall in a downward trend over a multitude of factors (including some stupid investments like way too much into GameWorks), but usually when I hear "financial hammering" I think of something overall losing money i.e being in the red.

SomeGit

They did try some soccer games here, by Sillicon Dreams IIRC, but they were crap. They should have made a bigger push to net a version of Konami's ISS Pro Evolution, it wasn't FIFA level of popularity at the time, but in terms of gameplay it was miles ahead.
With better visuals and online it could have made a dent in the european market.

Last edited:

Dane

EA is a strange cited reason, Sega's VC sports games literally kept the console a float and was the best selling franchises on the system, yes more than Sonic too.
Stolar said that EA came up with this request many years later in an interview, and yes, VS games were very acclaimed and strong sellers, but EA had major brands. Sega was bleeding too hard since Saturn flopping by 96, and it's always brought up that every DC owner should buy Shenmue in order to make it profitable, althrough it wasn't actually true. Once the competition came out, the DC was no longer the sole option and it didn't meet Sega's short term needs.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best , the problem with DVD is that it was a recently released format that it was expensive to put on PS2, Sega simply had no money for that (Sony delayed the PS3 because it saved them 30 bucks per unit for a blu ray part), Stolar said he always believed that HDD, online gaming and distribution were the future, but Sega lacked the funds to have that feature standard, so they had plans to being post launch add-ons, he also said that SoJ wanted to botch the western release until 2000 online only. Considering that you had many games that could fit in a single-two CD at PC version at the early years of the generation(and multi disc GD-ROMs), the DVD wasn't a first case necessity, althrough the add-on would could cause an issue were you had many titles that relied on it.

It's too complicated too see how Sega could have lived through, the PS2 was hardware wise stronger than the Dreamcast, Isao Okawa was not interested much into the console business and rather preferred to Sega commit to third party software development and then saved the company with part of his fortune on his final days. And finally, Xbox which had already secured strong third party support and Nintendo Gamecube were on their way.

Regarding the Saturn support, it was dead for the most of the market, if there's anything regarding making an extra year, it would have been for the west, but that was a money they couldn't spend on it.

Last edited:
Stolar said that EA came up with this request many years later in an interview, and yes, VS games were very acclaimed and strong sellers, but EA had major brands. Sega was bleeding too hard since Saturn flopping by 96, and it's always brought up that every DC owner should buy Shenmue in order to make it profitable, althrough it wasn't actually true. Once the competition came out, the DC was no longer the sole option and it didn't meet Sega's short term needs.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best , the problem with DVD is that it was a recently released format that it was expensive to put on PS2, Sega simply had no money for that (Sony delayed the PS3 because it saved them 30 bucks per unit for a blu ray part), Stolar said he always believed that HDD, online gaming and distribution were the future, but Sega lacked the funds to have that feature standard, so they had plans to being post launch add-ons, he also said that SoJ wanted to botch the western release until 2000 online only. Considering that you had many games that could fit in a single-two CD at PC version at the early years of the generation(and multi disc GD-ROMs), the DVD wasn't a first case necessity, althrough the add-on would could cause an issue were you had many titles that relied on it.

The funny thing is Stolar was right, but as usual SEGA were probably thinking too far ahead relative the current time the market was in. TBH instead of a DVD I think they could've done more with GD-ROM and partnering with JVC, NEC, Hitachi etc. to spin off a multimedia-based variant of it with some movie studios to support it.

The appeal of some next-generation (at the time) film format support was massive, and VCDs were already on their way out. If they couldn't of afforded DVD, they should've partnered with other companies to push GD-ROM as an alternative longer. Even if it'd ultimately lose out to DVD, they'd of bought a few years keeping DVD from mounting such a presence out of the gate, which would've meant numbing some of the PS2's early performance.

That could've eventually benefited both Gamecube and Xbox, as well, I'll never understand why this wasn't an option SEGA considered.

It's too complicated too see how Sega could have lived through, the PS2 was hardware wise stronger than the Dreamcast, Isao Okawa was not interested much into the console business and rather preferred to Sega commit to third party software development and then saved the company with part of his fortune on his final days. And finally, Xbox which had already secured strong third party support and Nintendo Gamecube were on their way.

I wonder how much Okawa played a part in maybe preventing some of the more hardware-orientated approaches for Dreamcast, in his desire to see them go 3P. It makes me wonder if Dreamcast was given as much of a fighting chance internally as it could've been if everyone at the top of SoJ were committed to SEGA staying in the market as a platform holder.

Because in hindsight I always keep finding alternative approaches that, at least on paper, seem like they could've worked if given a chance, but you'd need a fully united corporate force at the upper management levels to plan that stuff out and execute it.

Regarding the Saturn support, it was dead for the most of the market, if there's anything regarding making an extra year, it would have been for the west, but that was a money they couldn't spend on it.

Possibly. But the West was already lost for Saturn by 1997, I think I see what you mean though if it's in terms of SoA being allowed to do bigger prints for some 1P games (Burning Rangers and PD Saga got very low print numbers), and importing more games from Japan to America (same with SoE for Europe).

According to a yt channel I follow he says Peter moore was the reason behind the end of Sega consoles, long story short "again , according to his words" he said stuff that shouldn't be said without a clue how it severely impacted the consumers and game makers themselves because of his big role in the company. He didn't acknowledged his position back then just like some modern ceos from big companies talking bs with no respect for their position like Jensen Huang.

Last edited:

That's the thing, Sega made the same mistake as the Saturn by not mixing game types people already proved to be interested in with their wall sticking different releases and adapt accordingly.

Instead, they not only pushed unproven concepts in the market place up front, which was a problem they could have adapted around

But it's they pushed unproven concepts with little market research and spend a crap ton of $$$$ on them. It's not just Shenmue, which would be a great example, it was many.

So when you blow your budget on such things and most if it doesn't work which Sega should have seen coming from hundreds of miles away, you no longer have a chest of money to create well produced games that can work. You either make a half assed effort due to limited capital or you try out cheap concept games and keep throwing them at the ceiling to hope they stick.

This is exactly what happened.

ShinobiWan1

That's the thing, Sega made the same mistake as the Saturn by not mixing game types people already proved to be interested in with their wall sticking different releases and adapt accordingly.

Instead, they not only pushed unproven concepts in the market place up front, which was a problem they could have adapted around

But it's they pushed unproven concepts with little market research and spend a crap ton of $$$$ on them. It's not just Shenmue, which would be a great example, it was many.

So when you blow your budget on such things and most if it doesn't work which Sega should have seen coming from hundreds of miles away, you no longer have a chest of money to create well produced games that can work. You either make a half assed effort due to limited capital or you try out cheap concept games and keep throwing them at the ceiling to hope they stick.

This is exactly what happened.
That makes sense. I think having Coke products in the Japanese release of Shenmue is a good example of Sega spending money that they probably could have saved

Last edited:
Top Bottom