• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do so many here want the Xbox to fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want them to fail. Just to keep Sony on their best behavior, we absolutely need them. Especially after Nintendo kind of is their own thing now, detached from generations and them sort of fighting with mobile in another league, meanwhile PC creating an insane gap between top notch high end and leaving afforadble gaming hw behind, which is destined to stumble sooner than later for a bit, so it's just the two who deliver.
I also would hope MS brings their own handheld, and their own VR thing. Sony abandoned or disappointed in those areas. The series S as a handheld... and a VR headset compatible with a console AND PC? That might interest me even with lack of exclusives but then gamepass and cross buy might be enough.

The 360 was the only piece of hw I regret buying. Even the PS VR1 was a better package. The moment wiinect was focused on they set the foundation for today and even if their acquired studios would not underperform it will take some monumental effort to turn that old misguided course around.
I wanted GFWL to succeed, but they cut support after a couple of months, which annoyed me.
Gamepass might not be great in the long term implications of what it changes, but it made PS+ jumping on that bandwagon too and improved its content 1000%. So for now, as a customer, I am absolutely a fan, even if I use the competition.
I don't see how acquiring Bethesda and others is not already showing some results, the weird thing is Covid probably helped them get a break, stopping Sony much more than them, and they still could not get a schedule on track and it seems nothing will stop Sony outselling them massively for the next months and third parties will immediately adjust priorities and rather make deals with the better performing plattform, unless MS is willing to buy their loyalty, which would only work if they get their own act together. More HiFi Rushs which might not set the world on fire, but before a big success they need continous small (and some bigger) drops.

mejin

There is no doubt there are people that don't like MS efforts with Xbox for years.

But each year more and more people are getting tired of only promises.

What you've seen this week is a new wave of people unhappy with Microsoft's incompetence.

No hard feelings.

killatopak

I want them to fail so they can change strategies and do better, not because I want them to go out of business

Competition is great and I dont think that another big company would try to enter the market so soon if that happens

'Cause MS is showing that having an infinite amount of resources is not enough. Making games at this and age takes huge amounts of time, money and talent. To build talented studios out of nothing aint easy, and managing them can be just as hard.

People thinking that Apple, EPIC and etc. would get MS'splace are delusional. They arent prepared.
I think Steam has a decent chance with its library and Steam Deck gaining headway, they could even bring back Steam Machines.

First party Valve games are good lures.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't want Xbox to fail. Series X is a great piece of hardware and I want to see a sequel to Ghostwire so I'll be forced to buy one.

I mentioned it in a separate thread but Phil's recent comments should be used as an out for Xbox to rethink the way they make games. They should focus on smaller games (360 type games), get them on gamepass in a timely manner. They could compete with Sony and Nintendo if they had an absolute playground of smaller more videogamey type experiences instead of trying to make AAA work with gamepass. 360 had that and they could do it again. Xbox has to offer something truly unique that draws heads on a consistent basis. Trickling out games via gamepass and making people wait, only to be disappointed, is just gonna lead to them leaving the console space.

I'm glad that Phil said what he said. It's been beyond embarrassing watching various influencers and gaffers try to flex like Xbox is still in the same league as Nintendo and Sony. I'm sorry but Xbox isn't and hasn't been for quite some time. Need to wake up and smell the coffee. It's a new day.

Last edited:
Reactions: XXL

XXL

Stop with the persecution complex, it's getting old.

Also, people trying to use the fear of a monopoly are extremely short sighted.

Sega left, Xbox replaced them. There is no reason to believe that wouldn't happen again.

If Xbox wants a place in this I industry, they should earn it (like Playstation and Nintendo) not be given it out of pity or fear.

All in all, I would prefer they figure things out and thrive, but I'm skeptical if that is going to happen.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

I don't want microsoft to fail, i want them to be good as they were during the og xbox and the 360 era, not this thing they are now.
They only care about selling you gamepass now. Where's the quality we had during those first 2 generations?
If they have to fail in order to go back to what they were so be it.
Sony learned with their mistakes from the ps3 first years. Microsft is making mistakes for the second generation in a row now.

I want more Japanese-centric games produced by Sony. Team Asobi is not enough to supply my needs for Japanese exclusives like we used to have back in the PS2/PS3 era.
I 100% agree there. One thing I hate is that pretty much all of their exclusives nowadays are western. And that explains why they're all soulless, so story focused and overly cinematic.

I think inFAMOUS and R&C are exceptions to the rule though, they need to get inFAMOUS back up and running and pump out ratchet more consistently.

cireza

It’s just not good enough right now, and it sucks that Xbox gamers have to sit around and wait till next year indefinitely.
Have you tried starting your console and playing a game ? Because I am also an Xbox gamer and there are thousands of games available. The beginning of the year had a lot of new games already. What are you waiting for ?

Last edited:

Dane

Because Sony is more popular so its expected to have more rabids fanboys from that brand, this has been a thing for more than 20 years, when it wasn't Xbox, it was against Nintendo and Sega.

Now, if you want the controversial truth: Neogaf.

Lunarorbit

When you treat your console like dog shit and barely release games this is the response you're going to get.

How do you think change gets made in the video game industry? Vote with your wallet and complaining online are people's recourses

Umbasaborne

Banned
No one wants them to fail. We have nothing positive to say because their output sucks right now. Once their output doesnt suck, we will start being nice to them

I want them to do better, but they are digging a hole and if they don't do something fast, it seems it will be impossible to climb out of. As Phil stated, digital ecosystems are important and right now, a lot of people bought into PlayStation's last gen. So far this gen, that trend seems to continue. Also, I'm not so sure about their subscription model is working in their favor when it comes to hooking people into their ecosystems since people can come and go easily.

hussar16

Stop with the persecution complex, it's getting old.

Also, people trying to use the fear of a monopoly are extremely short sighted.

Sega left, Xbox replaced them. There is no reason to believe that wouldn't happen again.

If Xbox wants a place in this I industry, they should earn it (like Playstation and Nintendo) not be given it out of pity or fear.

All in all, I would prefer they figure things out and thrive, but I'm skeptical if that is going to happen.
What is buying company tht owns half the sales numbers then if not a monopoly?

ergem

Do not want a gamepass future even less a gamepass MS buying the industry's future .. so fuck of and die ... sue me

This. We’re better off without MS running the industry to the ground.

With that said, I don’t want them to fail. I want them to be forever 3rd placer.

You honestly look at what PlayStation is putting out and what Xbox is putting out and come to the conclusion it's SONY that isn't trying?
Yes. Sony has done nothing but pump out the most generic ass soulless overly cinematic games since about 2016. TLOU, GOW, RDR2, even Spider-Man. Completely soulless, casualised and sterilised. Just compare this to their output in the 2000s with games like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, inFAMOUS.

Microsoft exclusives at least value fun over realism. I'll take funky games like Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct and Hifi Rush over TLOU2, HFW and whatever next "hold left stick forward to walk" game they pump out. And by game I mean remaster of a 5 year old game listed as a PS5 exclusive "remake".

XXL

Yes. Sony has done nothing but pump out the most generic ass soulless overly cinematic games since about 2016. TLOU, GOW, RDR2, even Spider-Man. Completely soulless, casualised and sterilised. Just compare this to their output in the 2000s with games like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, inFAMOUS.

Microsoft exclusives at least value fun over realism. I'll take funky games like Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct and Hifi Rush over TLOU2, HFW and whatever next "hold left stick forward to walk" game they pump out. And by game I mean remaster of a 5 year old game listed as a PS5 exclusive "remake".
Cringe Reaction GIF

I see a lot of people here who are very happy that the Xbox is more than in a bad place right now. They want it to crash an burn. I have all the current consoles, but even if I only had the Ps5, that wouldn't be a good thing if Sony suddenly had no more competition (Nintendo is not their direct competition).

Ok let's look at what could happen if Xbox would exit the gaming market:

1. Budgets for the games would be smaller. 200 million for God of War? What for? Half that or less would be enough.
  2. Sony just bought a lot of new studios, none of that would have happened. In fact, they would very likely downsize significantly.
  3. The game quality would probably suffer as well.
  4. Game prices could rise even further.
  5. Playstation VR would probably not happen either.
  6. Without competition, the Ps Plus costs would probably rise as well.
There would probably be more things happening that I'm not thinking about right now. Competition is good without it there will be no progress.

The real question is why does Microsoft/Xbox want the Xbox to fail?

Riky

$MSFT
Yes some people said that but plenty of people also defended the opposite, that this was Xbox big turn around, games were finally coming. Phil said that he takes full responsibility for the way red fall launched.
So which is it?
They won publisher of the year with the highest score in history in 2021.
They didn't deliver anything in 2022.
They have two next gen only first party exclusives this year already and a showcase next month.
Let's see the showcase.

H4ze

Good thing then that this is the only place talking about Xbox this way ......no other recent articles or media sites......

Maybe at your place buddy, where I'm from a lot of outlets talk about it, especially since the Redfall fuckup. And that's fine, MS did fail here, no doubt.
But I don't give a shit anymore, I don't wanna be part of the witch hunt, I will keep on playing whatever I want on all the platforms.

XXL

You said monopoly talk is all hoot yet microsft wants to buys a company tht controls half the market in some regions
Buying something and operating something properly are 2 different things.

I'm opposed to ABK for one reason, they can't manage what they have currently and would more likely fuck it up than create a monopoly.

They won publisher of the year with the highest score in history in 2021.
They didn't deliver anything in 2022.
They have two next gen only first party exclusives this year already and a showcase next month.
Let's see the showcase.
So, wait till e3....

We're tired of hearing that type of thing. Don't need promises of a great future, just need some tangible results finally. Let's hope starfield isn't coming in hot like the rumor of red fall.

DryvBy

You're seeing people that saw the writing on the wall saying "told ya". If they continue down this path, then maybe Nintendo and Sony should just compete because MS is doing their own thing which isn't great for gaming.

REDRZA MWS

I see a lot of people here who are very happy that the Xbox is more than in a bad place right now. They want it to crash an burn. I have all the current consoles, but even if I only had the Ps5, that wouldn't be a good thing if Sony suddenly had no more competition (Nintendo is not their direct competition).

Ok let's look at what could happen if Xbox would exit the gaming market:

1. Budgets for the games would be smaller. 200 million for God of War? What for? Half that or less would be enough.
  2. Sony just bought a lot of new studios, none of that would have happened. In fact, they would very likely downsize significantly.
  3. The game quality would probably suffer as well.
  4. Game prices could rise even further.
  5. Playstation VR would probably not happen either.
  6. Without competition, the Ps Plus costs would probably rise as well.
There would probably be more things happening that I'm not thinking about right now. Competition is good without it there will be no progress.
You will never understand fanboy mentality, dont even try.

Maybe at your place buddy, where I'm from a lot of outlets talk about it, especially since the Redfall fuckup. And that's fine, MS did fail here, no doubt.
But I don't give a shit anymore, I don't wanna be part of the witch hunt, I will keep on playing whatever I want on all the platforms.
Enjoy your games!

Last edited:

LordCBH

I don’t want Xbox to fail. I want them to change and be better. But if their only strategy is going to be “fuck it buy up every possible thing” then I’d rather see them fail and go away.

PeteBull

phils or greenbergs secret gaf account =p

BbMajor7th

While there is a level of persecution complex no doubt.

Saying most on this forum want Xbox to succeed is blatantly wrong.
Go into near literally any Xbox thread and tell me thats people wanting Xbox to succeed.
When people dismiss successes and celebrate failures that pretty much tells you what their view of the platform is.

Im not even an Xbox fanboy but im seeing more often than not whenever Xbox has something good, its dismissed or downplayed, and when something bad happens you see all the mans crawl outta the woodwork to pile on how shit Xbox/Phil/Greenberg are.

There is no denying a very heavy bias toward people atleast seemingly happy whenever Xbox suffers a "defeat", which is why im guess OP made this thread.
If people are celebrating the downfall of the Xbox platform, they must want it to fail.
Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg are not XBOX, they're just the current people at the top. Most of the venom directed at senior management is due to how they've steered the business, made empty promises, or set the brand up for failure. Hammering on executives that continually talk big but deliver little isn't about wanting XBOX to fail - by contrast, people who fangirl and damage control for failures and mismanagement are abetting the brand's failure. They're so attached to the losers in charge, they'd rather the whole brand fail than heads roll.

And let's blow this one out of the water: Hi-Fi Rush is a great game that could have massively benefitted from proper marketing support; Redfall is a troubled, unfinished game that could have massively benefitted from technical support. XBOX's job isn't to take credit or criticism for what their studios create, it's to give them the resources they need to succeed on their own terms. THIS is where they fall down. It's not MS fault that Redfall was a mess, but there's plenty they could have done to prevent that. It's not to MS's credit that Hi-Fi Rush is great, but they could have done way more to market it.

They are constantly turning up in the media to say things that make them look like idiots a few weeks down the line: "We're confident about our merger, we've learnt so much"; "20XX is going to be our best year for games yet"; "We've delayed Redfall to make sure it's the absolute best shape possible". That's why people laugh at them, that's why people shit on them - they're the reason the XBOX brand has stumbled from one issue to the next over recent years while the competition hoovers up market share. Wanting that to change isn't about chasing failure, wanting it to stay that way absolutely is.

Last edited:

CuNi

While obviously there are people that just want Xbox to crash and burn so they feel superior about their choice or fanship with Sony, many others actually rightfully critique Xbox for its many issues and decisions.

Those people unfortunately are thrown into the same camp as the haters, for whatever reason.

One can like or see the potential in something and still criticue it without hating on it. Hell, if you go back in my post history, you can see I'll critique the out of what 343i did to Halo, not because i hate it, but because of what it has become since they took over.

Or take No Man's sky for example. People shat on that game so hard, but some also gave constructive criticism and thankfully the devs took those to heart and look where the game is now.

People want Xbox to do better, not to be gone.

iPaul93

I don't want them to fail. I want them to do well enough so that Sony can actually compete against them, but they've been pretty awful for the past two gens.

nowhat

It was a shell company that was a result of Nintendo’s rule limiting how many games companies could release in a year. So companies like Konami and Acclaim made shell companies under different names and the result was some absolute trash being released.
That's not correct, at all:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No one wants them to fail. We have nothing positive to say because their output sucks right now. Once their output doesnt suck, we will start being nice to them
There are groups of people who want the other team to fail and would be the same groups that would cry when their favorite plastic box has no competition to keep their pricing in check

Most of those people who really do want the other side to fail can't help and reveal themselves in posts and usually get banned but some are smart enough to walk that fine line and say "just joking"

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We know the people that are over the moon right now, and its fair. Its like laughing at the opposing football team when they fuck up and MS has fucked up badly this last 12 months.

The only thing that sucks is that I think these people would love nothing more than for MS to bow out of the race, but they dont understand how bad that would be for the industry and us.
Sony, with free reign to do what they want would be terrible, just like MS would be.

But yeah, theres a few people that would love Xbox to crumble and are too stupid to realize how bad this would be for themselves.

KXVXII9X

I only have a PC and a Switch, and I want Xbox to simply do better and be more honest and upfront and stop with the empty promises. What would I possibly gain from them failing? I have used PC GamePass and just cancelled yesterday. I gave them many chances. I'm a fan of quality games, not consoles. I go to whoever is providing me that. It dawned on me that if Xbox were ever to go under, how would the industry shift? What kind of competition would that leave for Sony? Would it just be Sony and Nintendo? I like having options and strong competition. I want to see each console strive for its best. I understand that failures can happen. What I don't understand is making the same mistake over and over and trying to manipulate your audience with a "good guy" persona. I wouldn't mind if some of the current leadership was replaced as much as I hate people losing their jobs.

Forsythia

Let's be real, there are certainly many here who want MS to die in a fire and for Sony to have a monopoly. Don't deny it.

But there are also a lot of people here who simply want MS to do better. And rightfully so. And no one should stay quiet on the issues Xbox has. imho, they're doing fantastic on every front, except on the part which matters most: quality games.

Just ignore the trolls OP, you're better off that way.

Markio128

We know the people that are over the moon right now, and its fair. Its like laughing at the opposing football team when they fuck up and MS has fucked up badly this last 12 months.

The only thing that sucks is that I think these people would love nothing more than for MS to bow out of the race, but they dont understand how bad that would be for the industry and us.
Sony, with free reign to do what they want would be terrible, just like MS would be.

But yeah, theres a few people that would love Xbox to crumble and are too stupid to realize how bad this would be for themselves.
I don’t necessarily agree with this. If MS bowed out, then it could open the way for someone else to give it a go. MS trying to buy massive publishers is the anti-competitive shit we need to see less of. That’s what will eventually kill the industry.

ByWatterson

We just want them to do better.

Some of us have gone back and forth on whether Game Pass is a good thing - and seeing the game quality go down as Game Pass becomes a bigger and bigger part of Xbox's focus confirms a lot of our fears. So, perhaps I want Game Pass to decline in importance so that big, blockbuster titles are necessary again. But I definitely don't want Xbox to fail.

Bojji

I have series x so i want it to have the best library of games. Too bad Microsoft don't give a fuck and they aren't making any good games lately, console is basically gamepass machine for 3d party games for me.

So far Xbox SX potential it totally wasted.

Umbasaborne

Banned
There are groups of people who want the other team to fail and would be the same groups that would cry when their favorite plastic box has no competition to keep their pricing in check

Most of those people who really do want the other side to fail can't help and reveal themselves in posts and usually get banned but some are smart enough to walk that fine line and say "just joking"
But i also think there is a line between hearing the rightful criticism that has been launched at xbox recently, and trying to dismiss it as “concern trolling”’or “doom posting”. They sre so insecure on the xbox thread at era that any negative xbox news or valid criticisms are treated as “doom posting”.

Im hard on microsoft because i was an xbox fan for a long time, i defended them hardcore on this site during the xbox one era, early in that generation when mods were literally banning people for being positive about xbox. But after years of empty promises, and unfinished games,
Im just done, i dont have it in me to defend them anymore.

I will give them credit for the strives they’ve made for preservation with their excllent backward compatibility, and for their great hardware and controllers, but thats about all i can give them credit for. Hifi rush was great, but its a b game that does not make up for the lack of any major games last year, and the piss poor state or redfall, their first triple a release in over a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom