• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do so many here want the Xbox to fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop1991

I don't want Xbox to fail, i'm a PC only gamer and PC gaming at the triple A level is directly tied to Xbox now, i want Xbox to deliver and do well but when it's plainly not doing that after saying how they would, then they should be held accountable, i was told by many Xbox guys on here over the years MS and Xbox would be a success as i questioned MS being in charge of PC gaming at the top, well they haven't yet, better Xbox games means better PC ones, and i respect the Xbox gamers now holding MS to account, we all want better games and better working games.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I mean, the XB1 launch still negatively affects how I think about Xbox. I've never seen such a tone-deaf launch in all of videogaming, even over the Saturn launch.

Also, instead of focusing on great content, they are focusing on a subscription service. I appreciate the value of GP, but I seek out amazing content when I want to play a game. Most of the time it's not on GP, so what's the point?

If they were still dropping heavy-hitting exclusives that were on par with Sony and Nintendo's stuff (like they were in the OG and 360 eras), I'd want them in the game. As it stands, they should just go 3rd party. I'm sure they still want to invade and take of the living room, but after 20+ years, how close are they? Their best shot was during the peak 360 era, where there was a timeline where MSFT took over Sony in the living room. That timeline has faded into obscurity. They need to regroup on those living room invasion plans and just make Xbox a 3rd party publishing label.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Some have legitimate concerns that are expressed properly. (No issue with these posters)

Then there is this other group that ties thier self esteem to thier console of choice (these people most often only own one console and or don't own an xbox) that can't take any criticism of Sony or Nintendo and criticizes MS for any mistep and thinks thier console of choice walks on water. It just makes them feel more validated I guess.

Celine

I should have specified other consoles that generation then and not Nintendo products across decades.

Total software sales (units)
WII: 921.85M
PS3: 999.40M

This is really useful data because you then sit it next to the perspective consoles total sales and that the 79 additional million software sale diffrence is on the one with the smaller install base.

Meaning the attach ratio would be the smallest that gen.

Well unless 360 can't include its downloads like Wii, it might not have had a disc like Wii Sports (which Nintendo therefore included) but everyone knows the homies played Uno on 360.

Tie ratio:
WII: 9.07
PS3: 11.43

Note: Nintendo doesn't count digital-only games.

Lower tie ratio? sure.
Much lower tie ratio? eh, the difference isn't that large.

This is because people literally bought it for Wii fit and Sports and therefore made no further purchases.
Yes, and there are people that literally bought only two games on Xbox 360 and PS3, it's just that there are even more Xbox 360/PS3 owners who bought more than two games therefore the tie ratio is higher.
Same for Wii.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I see a lot of people here who are very happy that the Xbox is more than in a bad place right now. They want it to crash an burn. I have all the current consoles, but even if I only had the Ps5, that wouldn't be a good thing if Sony suddenly had no more competition (Nintendo is not their direct competition).

Ok let's look at what could happen if Xbox would exit the gaming market:

1. Budgets for the games would be smaller. 200 million for God of War? What for? Half that or less would be enough.
  2. Sony just bought a lot of new studios, none of that would have happened. In fact, they would very likely downsize significantly.
  3. The game quality would probably suffer as well.
  4. Game prices could rise even further.
  5. Playstation VR would probably not happen either.
  6. Without competition, the Ps Plus costs would probably rise as well.
There would probably be more things happening that I'm not thinking about right now. Competition is good without it there will be no progress.
I think it's the fact that they keep throwing money at distorting the market in their favour and consumers have nothing positive to show for it. In fact it looks like they've taken over ips and studios to run them into the ground.

If they were offering real competition and innovation in the market it would be a huge loss if they stopped competing on hardware. But other than the cloud they're not really doing that. And the cloud is a way for them to secure a network monopoly like Amazon or Google..less choice and the risk of price gouging.

Crayon

I try to tell myself there is google, meta, and apple to worry about. But I'm weirdly stuck in the time when there was just ms. Really it's weird. Anything they get near im like *hissssss*. I'd want them to fail if it meant that a more traditional company filled the void like a samsung or something like that. A company that has to make good things to sell them for profit. But if another tech giant came in and with software war paradigms it would be just as bad if not worse.

Topher

Gold Member
Really all it demonstrates is that gamers can't handle hearing anything but PR. They refuse to acknowledge nuance and acknowledge what he said, preferring gotcha clickbait instead of a nuanced conversation with honesty.

He spent the entire first half of the interview apologizing for a poor quality game and saying they have to get games out every quarter, and at quality, and they have to get their assistance and support teams in much earlier. Said Xbox games have had high MC scores for the last 2 years typically, and that's what they're shooting for.

The final comment is made in the context of the acquisition that he's dealing with; pretty obviously. Basically says that he believes that the gaming industry market is systemically built in such a way that it is anti-competitive. 1) Digital store front consolidation last gen, 2) Exclusivity deals. The anti-competitive nature of the market makes it impossible to succeed purely on the back of great games. It will require more, and will require Xbox and MS to chart a new path into an adjacent market. That's what he said, and everyone is too stupid to follow the conversation unless it's dumbed down into PR that says nothing.

You have your own take on it and that's fine. No one else is stupid because of they do not align with your take on what was said.

I do appreciate Phil Spencer's ability to be frank, but that doesn't mean I automatically think what he said was right.

Last edited:
All I know is that they need to stay in the game so we don't get full blow arrogant Sony.
"git a second jawb you stupid morons! We could put "PS" on a box and you guys will buy it even with no games, and like it!". Sure as hell don't want to see a repeat of that.

Because they should do better and provide kick ass games to us consumers. Spare me your sad faces and self pity. Suck it up youre a trillion dollar company but resort to mafia tactics (credit to another user for that term) to try claw your way back to fight a rival that did almost everything right the last decade. Maybe use that 69 billion $$ and fix your development pipeline.

Let's be real If MS released 50 11/10 games this year, all running at 120hz, 4k native & full ray tracing the toxic fanboys & media would STILL find something, anything to bash the Xbox brand for clicks.
Then you have sites like DF that fuel the fire over petty crap like: "Oh look the Xbox version is missing 2 blades of grass when zooming in 6x this is unacceptable!!!
Then you get Xbox is doomed, going third party it's over!! It is sad that this form of entertainment that I love and is supposed to be fun is now plagued by so much toxicity.

Why do you want MS to succeed?

I want a competitive gaming market, but if MS has consistently failed to read the gaming market and consistently failed to deliver on their promises to provide what gamers want, then why should I want MS specifically to be the company that competes with Sony in the console gaming space?

Why should any gamer want a company that doesn't understand what gamers want to succeed in the gaming space? Why must it be MS specifically?

Wanting competition in gaming =/= wanting MS to succeed... and it's also equally true that:
wanting MS to fail in gaming =/= wanting no competition in the gaming market.

Sega bowed out of the console race and MS took their place. If MS bows out, it just leaves room for the next major contender to step up and try to compete with Sony and Nintendo.

Maybe it will be Samsung. A big South Korean tech company might help inspire a surge in AAA S.Korean games development for consoles. That sounds like a fucking good thing to me:...

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Its not about wanting the competition to disappear. Its that xbox's vision is too damaging to the gaming industry as we know it. It promises a bigger focus on online, not owning your games, long term live services and lower budget games. Either they need to do it the way sony/nintendo does it, or GTFO out of the market instead of strong-arming it into submission by buying up everything.

hyperbertha

Also, what is up with this in the background? Is this something new, I don't seem to recognize it.

sm3Uuzb.png
must be the Nokia Ngage.

This is the answer.

Anyone saying "people dont want Xbox to fail" clearly arent actually reading these threads.
If Xbox has a bad performing game, they are happy.
If Xbox has bad sales quarter, they are happy.
If an Xbox game reviews well, reviewers are shills.
Digital Foundry says PS5 is best way to play Game Y, they celebrate.....even if they were never going to play that game.
Digital Foundry says XSX is the best way to play Game X, they celebrate because the Series S version is worse than the PS5 version?
Flight Simulator is the most nextgen shit ive played, its not a game.

If Microsoft leaves the console business, we are truly fucked.....all of us.
No, it isnt the answer at all.
No one wants xbox to fail. People want Redfall reviews, the Activision deal being blocked, xbox series console sales going straight off of the edge of a cliff to send the people running the xbox division a message.
Shut the fuck about how much of a friend you are to your customers, shut up about how powerful your systems are, shut up about the cloud, shut up about how excited you are about your next presentation.
Steady streams of quality games that you cant play on another console are the main reason why people pick the system they do.
When Microsoft shows they understand these things, their fortunes will improve and people won't complain as much. It's not hard.

Last edited:
I want the Xbox from 2001 to 2009 back great games great dashboards not this hyperbole then disappointment induced version, have you heard there latest ad the woman singing about gamepass it's cringe

FrankWza

I'd rather they leave than gobble IPs and pubs. They're too big too fail because they're owned by microsoft but they have already failed in the classic sense. The head start Sony had on them is shorter, in years and gens than the head start Nintendo had on Sony.
Their current revenue may be a byproduct of the industry being so robust. Otherwise we would see profitability. They'd tell us. If they were most any other company they would have exited the console business by now.
What will happen is they'll stay around and buy as much as they can. They should focus on creating and cultivating

Ornoku

Its not about wanting the competition to disappear. Its that xbox's vision is too damaging to the gaming industry as we know it. It promises a bigger focus on online, not owning your games, long term live services and lower budget games. Either they need to do it the way sony/nintendo does it, or GTFO out of the market instead of strong-arming it into submission by buying up everything.
Nintendo is the most anti consumer company in gaming. If you owned a game on the wii digitally you didn't own it on the WII U, same with the ds and the 3ds. If you lose access to your digital owned games on any of these devices they're gone forever. At least with the OG Xbox a game you owned digitally you still have access to.

LoveCake

I don't want Xbox to fail, I have Xbox Series X, PS5 & Switch.

Xbox have done this to themselves, they did really well with the Xbox 360 could well be argued that is beat the PS3 (I think it did beat the PS3) but then Xbox bundled the Xbox One with Kinect so it was $100 more expensive than PS4 and targeted it more as a media device where you could watch NFL and have some app to show all the statistics, this put my off getting a Xbox One at launch and I went with PS4 for a while and got an Xbox One much later.

Xbox dropped Kinect but the damage was done, and they had all this time to try again with the Xbox Series X, however with all the studios they have and all the money and all this time what have they produced, next to nothing, Forza Horizon 5 which imo is more like Forza Horizon 4.5 and a Halo game which is pretty poor to say the least imo.

I get the feeling that MicroSoft have gone back to their old ways and are just trying to wring as much money from the subscription model as they can, all the billions of dollars will not go into games it will go to the shareholders, and I know Sony and Nintendo have shareholders as well, but Sony followed the Nintendo model, build the console around great first party high quality content.

I don't want Xbox to fail, but they are making it increasingly hard to support them.

llLeonhart

Gold Member
I don't, however I do despise their approach of trying to buy everything out. I'm super happy ABK failed, and I hope Bethesda had failed too. Make your own damn studios instead of taking things away from gamers that are not on your platform.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
I want them to fail destroying the market, that's all.

Microsoft has a rich history of monopolizing business space and putting up high barriers to keep competition out of the area. And not necessarily because of high-quality products.

What i expect from them is to make the most of their current market position, compete on the basis of providing the highest quality products and services, for which both current and future customers could vote with their own wallets, instead of forcibly handicapping competitors through outrageous buyouts.
The gaming market is full of fucked up practices already, there's no need to evolve it to the extreme.

I have nothing against Microsoft reaching the top of the industry. But if they themselves admit that they are unable to do so by delivering instead of acquiring, they can just fuck off.

CGNoire

I dont want to see Xbox fail...but I do think when companies consistently fuck up there has to be consequences. In other words Im sick and tired of seeing endless gamers give these billion dollar companies infinite retrys. Let them learn a lesson goddammit.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't want XBox to fail at all. They are currently offering an incredible machine that is in a class way above the Bone. All I want them to do, is to stop trying to buy their way to majority, and just focus on making their games the best they can. Gears of War can totally come back strong (5 was legit). The Halo team just need a strong director and vision. Make another Killer Instinct instead of ignoring it (seriously last one was phenomenal). Make sure that Perfect Dark is on point. Why not bring back Viva Pinata?

CGNoire

Imo the majority of people saying " we only want it to do better" are lying to themselves. its not fooling anyone else. Xbox despite its shortcomings, gets a lot of flak that for things that sony and nintendo also do. its just the general sentiment around here, I don't think there are many sony fans that care if xbox does better. The laughing and pointing seen by many, isn't how you express that.
Your right it isnt but your just picking and choosing comments that validate your beliefs all while ingoring everything people are posting here to the contrary. It's a serious persecution complex with you'll.

Microsoft needs to remain in good shape to keep Sony from becoming arrogant. Most people here believe that and contrary to what you believe they actually want to see them succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom