• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why do so many people hate quantum break ?

samoilaaa

i started playing this game and i think im at almost 50% and the game is awsome , the only things that i didnt like was at the beginning when the game took the control away from you too often and going throught tight spaces felt like an eternity but other than that nothing , the story was great , the gameplay is satisfying , i really liked the fact that the AI wasnt braindead like in most games these days

the enemies actually move and try to flank you , dodge bullets , the skills that you have are pretty cool , the characters are interesting , the level design/verticality could have been a little more complex but still it was good enough

everytime i heard people talking about quantum break was only about negative things and i didnt play it because of that

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Was one of my fav Xbox games last gen. Even loved the show between levels. I feel a lot of video game critics look down on tv as a lesser medium.

You can see how this game evolved into control witch most people loved.

Didn’t help that it’s was Xbox and pc only too.

Kuranghi

Big tech issues at launch on PC, ironed out later but tainted it, nowadays you can brute force it into running well on recent HW. I played it a year after launch on a 970 so was able to get it running relatively well, took some work though. People disliked the live action aspect from what I remember and they didn't like the pacing of the game. I like Lance Reddick and Aidan Gillen so I thought it was alright for what it was.

I enjoyed finding the hidden secrets that gave more story/dialogue and think the environmental graphics and animation are superb even to this day. The combat I really love aside from a few annoyances, I loved Max Payne 1-3 a lot though. The sound design is fantastic and I liked the variety in what you do in the game.

I plan to play it again at full whack 4K without the temporal reconstruction when I get my new GPU.

Glad you enjoyed it too OP.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
on PC it ran like a pos unless you used their shitty resolution scaler thing which made the game a blurry eyesore. Also so weird to have those real live action cutscenes. Other than that, if your PC nowadays can handle it, at max, the game can look incredible. Gameplay was ok. Story was ok.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Last boss fight fucking sucks, also it loads before the cutscene 0/10

It was alright I suppose. Graphically stunning for its time but those 30 minute live action scenes between the gameplay sections, many boring in my opinion, gave the game a really unbalanced feel for me and I would have preferred in-game cutscenes using the engine (and shorter!). Also, the gameplay really wasn't that great. Fun for a while but it never really evolves and I got bored of it toward the end. I cannot remember if I actually finished the game or not.

Control was another game I only thought was okay; it felt like a remixed Quantum Break to me with a very similar gameplay loop.

P.S. Also forgot to ask... does anyone enjoy reading reams of boring text logs in games like this to get background info on the world. Remedy also did this in Control too. Personally, I find it not only boring but it ruins the pace of the game if you have to keep stopping to read text. Why not have a voice-over reading the info out as you play? That would surely be more interesting?

Last edited:

Reckheim

I don't think people 'hate it'; but its definitely quite overrated. It was a decent game with very good graphics.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't think it's hated, but I do think it's generally seen as Remedy's weakest, or at least it was until CrossfireX.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I loved it but the TV show thing rubbed gamers the wrong way, even though I was fine with it

The powers were good and so were the graphics even with it being 900P on the XB1

Haggard

Banned
The TV-Part of it was just plain bad and the game part suffered from massive technical hiccups at release with less than stellar minute-to minute gameplay.
Just a really "meh" game.
"Hated" is too strong a word, though. People simply didn`t care much about it, deservedly so.

DaGwaphics

I think a lot of players just avoided it on release due to the poor reception in the media, particularly the live action integration. Hopefully GP has let the holdouts give it a chance, it had a good premise and was fun.

Filben

Finished it like four times. Love the locations, the combat, the visuals... GOD, the fucking visuals!

120Y11.jpg

120vzx.jpg

120HjM.jpg

120LwH.jpg

It's Remedy's worst game in 20 years. Not a terrible game, but not particularly good one either. Awful writing, with incredibly cheesy ass acting. A lame ending and boring/nonsensical plotline.

Just about the best thing going for it was Remedy's tech. Everything else was painfully mediocre. I say this as a HUGE Remedy fan and have been a fan of literally everything they've put out since Max Payne.

Last edited:

Stuart360

As others already said, Xbox console exclusive.

I actually found the game quite boring and tedious. Although less tedious and boring than Control, which seems to be universally loved on here, while i found it sleep inducing.

tommib

I think it was the best console exclusive for Xbox at the time. I loved the protagonist and it was more interesting than Control IMO. I even liked the FMV.

No idea why it doesn’t get better recognition? Resolution obsessed nerds? It was one of the first Digital Foundry victims.

Last edited:
I appreciated its attempt to do something different with integration of the tv episodes, but see the said episodes as a huge disadvantage to the game’s replayability. Every time I feel like playing it again I don’t want to sit through all the episodes, but realize I don’t remember all the story so I kinda need to. Then decide not to play it.

Also wish it was 60fps on Series X, but it’s still stuck at 30.

K' Dash

You’re talking about an Xbox exclusive on a forum composed of mostly Sony fanboys.

The game is great and the little hints of a Remedy shared universe are just delicious.

Last edited:

sainraja

Xbox exclusive.

No master piece, but fun.
You gotta stop with the persecution complex. If that game was a PlayStation exclusive, some of you would be the ones to downplay it due to the way it literally tried to combine live action TV show with the game, you'd downplay it by saying how it took the next step in making it cinematic by completely removing gameplay with the live action show part! Etc etc. I don't know why most of your posts have to be framed like that. Stop focusing on people that can't step out of the fictional console wars.

The point is, it's non-sense. Regardless of "which" side is doing it. And no it wasn't because it was simply an Xbox exclusive lol. Otherwise, Forza would have been treated the same.

EDIT

The whole TV TV TV fiasco with the launch of the console and a game that literally put that in the game most likely didn't help. Consider that.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't think is hated, it just didn't live up to the hype, I remember being underwhelmed when I finally got to play it on PC.

GymWolf

I don't really hate it, i just think it's pretty meh, both the serial part and the game part.

Graphic and temporal effects were the best thing.

Also at launch was one of the most broken games in history on pc.

Last edited:

CeeJay

It was alright but a bit short and the last boss left a bit of a sour taste right at the end.

The visuals were superb though and had high production values for a game. I didn't mind the TV bits to be honest, it was an interesting experiment. The cover shooting felt a bit clumsy as well compared to The Division that came out around the same time and made me feel like overall the gameplay took a bit of a back seat compared to the story and the visuals during development. It's certainly no Max Pain that's for sure.

Skifi28

A game remarkable for being unremarkable. The best thing about it were the visuals and to pull those off it was blurry as fuck.

Fbh

Haven't seen a lot of hate for it to be honest. Just because people didn't love it or thought it was just ok doesn't mean they hated it.

I thought the visuals and combat were really nice, both still hold up.
But it's a very story heavy game and I thought the storytelling was terrible. The game makes you sit through in game cutscenes and multiple 25 minutes long C tier television show episodes .....and then somehow most of the important story bits are hidden in a never ending stream of in game documents, emails, notes, etc.

IMO Sam Lake is increasingly becoming the weaker link at Remedy

Beechos

It was the tv bullshit and the crazy amount of disk space require due to the tv show stuff that most people hated.

Top Bottom