• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do women love watching true crime murder shows?

This is my wife too. She reads, watches and generally chats about true crime. She watches anything from anywhere but when reading she likes Australian focused non-fiction.

Can confirm it's a psychological fascination/fantasy all rolled into one. There's a reason mostly women all round the world made shit like Shades of Grey blow up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Almost every other female species in the animal kingdom are the ruthless hunters and killers. Maybe it’s something that was pushed back to the subconscious through social evolution?

Last edited:
There's morbid curiosity in true crime I think most people find appealing, but most of the content ends up being pretty tame in format and presentation, despite involving actual real life violent crime. It also pretty much always involves real human social drama which women love to obsess over, and that's probably the main gender difference. Guys don't find the social drama aspects or speculating the criminal psyche that intriguing. I think it's more apt to ask why guys aren't that interested in it than why women are. Maybe there's a certain level of emotional coldness to men that it simply doesn't shock them enough compared to all the other violent content they consume and are subject to, in comparison to relatively emotionally coddled women. True crime often enough is rather boring when it comes down to being a form on entertainment. The realness aspect of it has its own appeal, but reality is often far from entertaining or satisfactory.

thefool

First time I noticed this was when I was around 13 or so and my cousin (also 13) absolutely loved to watch serial killer movies. I found that shit weird then and still find it weird. Morbid fascination most likely.

Peggies

Gold Member
While we're at it, yesterday I devoured "Des" - a Miniseries with David Tennant (who absolutely nailed that role) about a scottish serial killer and necrophiliac.

Anyone from UK remembering that guy?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Many also kill the male after mating. Just be glad you are human
4cc.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
While we're at it, yesterday I devoured "Des" - a Miniseries with David Tennant (who absolutely nailed that role) about a scottish serial killer and necrophiliac.

Absolutely. Great serialisation. Tennant was marvellous.

You’ll also like Ripper on Netflix, about The Yorkshire Ripper. If nothing else, you’ll see how horrifically grim northern England was in the seventies.

Peggies

Gold Member
Absolutely. Great serialisation. Tennant was marvellous.

You’ll also like Ripper on Netflix, about The Yorkshire Ripper. If nothing else, you’ll see how horrifically grim northern England was in the seventies.
Thanks for the tipp!

Horifically grim times are often fertile soil for serial killers unfortunately.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Maybe you don't listen to tool? The lyrics of the song I posted were from a song called "Vicarious" meaning that we as a society (and even extended to human nature itself) can not get interested in a story without violence or conflict. We never want to commit the acts ourselves but watch in glee from a distance when we are not personally affected. :messenger_ok:

Song for context:

"Eye on the TV 'Cause tragedy thrills me. Whatever flavour It happens to be like: "Killed by the husband", "Drowned by the ocean", "Shot by his own son", "She used a poison in his tea", "And kissed him goodbye". That's my kind of story. It's no fun 'til someone dies"

Spiral Out, brother

z5fiv9juylu21.gif

Blade2.0

I have dated a few women in my time and one trend I have picked up is that they are obsessed with shows about real life murder. They binge watch them late into the night and all I can think is, how can you watch this stuff before going to bed? Especially since it’s all true. I haven’t met any guys that enjoy these types of shows but women flock to them and I can’t understand why? Has anyone else noticed this in their wife or girlfriend?
I like watching them. Get to see how depraved humanity actually is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"While docile females attack inferior males and prefer to mate with superior males, aggressive females kill males regardless of their condition, which demonstrates their inability to distinguish males as sources of sperm or food, indiscriminately cannibalizing them," study author Rubén Rabaneda-Bueno told the Spanish ...Apr 23, 2014

200.gif
Weird kink, but I'll try it.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, very disturbing case. David Tennant played him scarily well, you would think it was a documentary. The way he moulds in to his roles is something else.

Top Bottom