• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you think that Sony has never made their own RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have Persona, FFVII, FFXVI, Forspoken. They even have KotoR. They intended to get Starfield. Who cares whether they are "true" Sony games. Sony decided it makes more sense for them to buy those games a la carte rather than to buy out whole publishers.

Modern Sony is more interested in appealing to mainstream Western audiences with children's superhero games and now their major investments in shooters and GaaS. Increasingly little to interest a hardcore gamer if you're not into weird anime games, but plenty for children and casuals.

Ladioss

Arc the Lad series gets no love.
Yeah, I remember the first one especially was heavily hyped by the press at the time (first big JRPG on Sony's new platform). I think it didn't really lived up to expectations, but it's definitly a significant part of Sony initial attemps at establishing itself as a videogaming brand, especially in Japan.

I'm more disappointed with how Popolocrois was handled at the time. It was clearly an ambitious media-mix franchise, but also a non-entity outside Japan.

Nintendo has studio dedicated to make big JRPG for them like Monolith Soft, if Nintendo can do it so can Sony.
Those games have collectively sold about 4 million copies and Nintendo randomly bought the company due to some interpersonal relationships iirc.

Sony would have to buy a company like Level-5 or start an internal studio and there isn't much worth involved in doing either of those things.

Yeah, I remember the first one especially was heavily hyped by the press at the time (first big JRPG on Sony's new platform). I think it didn't really lived up to expectations, but it's definitly a significant part of Sony initial attemps at establishing itself as a videogaming brand, especially in Japan.

I'm more disappointed with how Popolocrois was handled at the time. It was clearly an ambitious media-mix franchise, but also a non-entity outside Japan.

Arc the Lad 1+2 sold extremely well in Japan, but at the time SCEA and SCEE had no interest in publishing it. 2002 compared to the original release of Arc the Lad in 1996. After the PS2 had already been released. And yes while the PS2 could play PS1 games, most people had moved on to playing other games like FFX.

It was translated and published by Working Designs years after they came out and were expensive to buy and had a limited quantity of copies. If I recall there were also some publishing issues surrounding the game, certainly a multitude of delays.

In other words, it never really got a chance.

TrebleShot

RPG is a very limited thing to make a game on, why stop there why not expand beyond even the most basic RPG. Maybe something that supports modern technology?

CamHostage

Sony would have to buy a company like Level-5 or start an internal studio and there isn't much worth involved in doing either of those things.

I'd say there was a time it would have been worth buying Level-5 in its heyday, back when they made the 2 Dark Cloud games, Dragon Quest 8, Rogue Galaxy, Jeanne D'arc, and the Layton games... just before White Knight Chronicles (when questions started to be asked about how good this studio really was, although it was a bit of time still before they fully fell off.) If Sony could have corralled them into purely producing high-quality RPG products and not getting lost in multiple fronts of media (the Little Battlers and Yo-Kai Watch and Snack World franchises that tried to be five things at once before launching one good thing,) maybe Level-5 would have continued on a brighter path (and maybe would have been a factor in the Japan Studio closure.) For a long while there, some people even thought of Level-5 as a close-knit studio with PlayStation, despite the fact that Sony itself hasn't published a new Level-5 game since 2010's WKC2.

Technically, Level-5 didn't make great big hits for Sony, while its Layon and Inazuma Eleven and Ni No Kuni and of course Dragon Quest titles have been key titles for other companies (also, if Sony owned Level-5, there probably would not have been the Guild mini-game collections sadly,) so you may be right that it wouldn't have been as big a deal as it feels to Level-5 fans. But the studio had clear promise in their early days and might have done bigger things if the studio wasn't so prone to playing the field and getting as big as possible.

l0i0lw0.jpg

Last edited:

Furball

TC ask about Sony own in House RPG development and many people here answer Wild Arm ,Dark Cloud and Arc the Lad . Those game were not development by Sony studio .

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Sony owns the IPs for Legend of dragoon, Alundra, Wild Arms, Legaia, Arc the Lad, Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, and a few other lesser known RPG properties.

Will they do anything with their dormant rpg IPs? No, of course the bastards won't.

Last edited:
l-5 in its heyday, back when they made the 2 Dark Cloud games, Dragon Quest 8, Rogue Galaxy, Jeanne D'arc, and the Layton games... just before White Knight Chronicles (when questions started to be asked about how good this studio really was, although it was a bit of time still before they fully fell off.) If Sony could have corralled them into purely producing high-quality RPG products and not getting lost in multiple fronts of media (the Little Battlers and Yo-Kai Watch and Snack World franchises that tried to be five things at once before launching one good thing,) maybe Level-5 would have continued on a brighter path (and maybe would have been a factor in the Japan Studio closure.) For a long while th
Just takes too much to create a AAA RPG. Level-5 would struggle to do so at their size.

You create the RPG and it takes 4-5 years and now you have no time for a sequel.

Square Enix used to be successful with their Final Fantasy games because they had like 2-3 AAA Final Fantasy games in development at once headed by different teams.

If I recall pre-merger they had like 7 or 8 development teams.

I think this model is somewhat similar to what Sony has with their various studios in that games shouldn't really ever be rushed because you should always have a full slate of games available to release, but they have to fit in a diverse portfolio and they have to be balanced for risk as well.

leo-j

I mean horizon in a way is an action rpg , and so is demons souls? Those two came out these last couple years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom