• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does everyone hate Star Ocean: Till The End of Time?

BlueTsunami said:
I played the original SO1 (Patched with Dejap Translation and on SNES9X)
I think that Time Gate is in SO2? Maybe I'm wrong with that but I know for a fact that the same vista (dry, dead planet) was housing that Time Gate was in SO1.
[/spoiler]
nah I just didn't recalled the time gate being there I too played the patched version, 15 mbs of gfx on a 56k is a painful download, but don't tell anyone

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I dont think even the Valkyrie Profile universe was saved from Tri-Ace lame ass plot twist that completely kills a series.

VP2's end-game :rolleyes at that. thankfully VP2 top-notch gameplay manages to triumph at the end!

duckroll

Error said:
I dont think even the Valkyrie Profile universe was saved from Tri-Ace lame ass plot twist that completely kills a series.

VP2's end-game :rolleyes at that. thankfully VP2 top-notch gameplay manages to triumph at the end!

Yeah as I said, it's not the story that turns me off in SO3 (it's the easiest to attack anyway), but the fact that it just wasn't a very good game at all imo. The dungeons were large and well designed, the graphics were great. But.... that's not enough to make a great game. :(

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Error said:

Yeah, I wasn't really warm on VP2's story alltogether. Its a trend I'm seeing with tri-Ace, they seem to be employing cheap M.Night Shamalamadingdong level of bad plot twists (Director of Six Sense and The Village). They need to take whoevers writing these plots and hang them.

duckroll

BlueTsunami said:
They need to take whoevers writing these plots and hang them.

Well, we can't hang the guy that wrote SO3, because Gotanda directed and wrote the game himself. He's also the lead programmer and R&D head at Tri-Ace, so hanging him would mean no more super impressive engines. :(

As for VP2, Tri-Ace actually outsourced the scenarios of Radiata and VP2 to Edgeworks, a company that provides scenario/script services. They also did the scenario for Enchanted Arms. So yeah, we can hang them. :)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
duckroll said:
Well, we can't hang the guy that wrote SO3, because Gotanda directed and wrote the game himself. He's also the lead programmer and R&D head at Tri-Ace, so hanging him would mean no more super impressive engines. :(

:( He can live then!

duckroll said:
As for VP2, Tri-Ace actually outsourced the scenarios of Radiata and VP2 to Edgeworks, a company that provides scenario/script services. They also did the scenario for Enchanted Arms. So yeah, we can hang them. :)

Hmmmm, there was something about VP2's story that didn't feel right to me. And the VP2's (sort of) plot twist should be punishable by death so yeah.

Hopefully the quality of writing in SO4 is up there! (as with EVERYTHING ELSE in the game :lol :crosses fingers)

Beergut

I never got into Star Ocean 3, but I LOVE the strategy guide!!
The first time I saw the guide in EB and saw the immense foldout with the hundreds of recipes on it, I had to have it immediately!!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I thought the plot-twist was hilarious. It's like they thought "you know what, screw this story! let's fuck around with people and see how they react!!"
That's what made it so great, it was definitely unexpected and a rather daring move to make storywise, I think. They won me over on courage alone! :lol
But I enjoyed the game as well, even though the pacing was slow. Just like SO2. SO2 actually managed to put me to sleep a few times. Literally. Think it was mostly because of the dreamy music though. :p

Rolf NB

duckroll said:
All the games are virtual. The entire thing was a looooong simulation, that's part of the reason why it started getting buggier if I recall. Because the program was made to have everyone be good, but yet because it's a "real" simulation you can't control that. Then they started mucking with the program.... yeah the story just gets worse and worse. :(
No, I don't think this was the reason. As far as I understood it
the exterminators were sent because the inhabitants of the simulation "knew too much". Through their own science they came too close to recognizing that they were all just being simulated. These inhabitants were supposed to be wiped out to restart the simulation. Of couse requiring exterminators inside a simulation to reboot that same simulation is a plot hole in itself, but what can you do.
Another significant point of disagreement is that, as far as I picked it up, the Star Ocean universe is just an MMO. It's purely for entertainment.

duckroll

bcn-ron said:
No, I don't think this was the reason. As far as I understood it
the exterminators were sent because the inhabitants of the simulation "knew too much". Through their own science they came too close to recognizing that they were all just being simulated. These inhabitants were supposed to be wiped out to restart the simulation. Of couse requiring exterminators inside a simulation to reboot that same simulation is a plot hole in itself, but what can you do.
Another significant point of disagreement is that, as far as I picked it up, the Star Ocean universe is just an MMO. It's purely for entertainment.

You're probably right. It's been a long time, and I don't think anyonre really wants to remember all the details. :(

bcn-ron said:

Thats what i thought of the whole thing

Tabris

Ignoring the horrible twist, the worst part of the game was the fact you couldn't attack enemies when they were in the "downed" state. It drove me insane. Made what used to be an amazing juggling/combo battle system into a really tiresome battle system sometimes.

madara

What was interesting to me was that game spent 85% in a medieval fantasy setting and for once I was in mood for scifi and you hardly got that as you spend like most of the game on one planet. The large amount of homo erotica overtones in this were hilarious for me so its all good in the end, minus the matrix crap.

madara said:
What was interesting to me was that game spent 85% in a medieval fantasy setting and for once I was in mood for scifi and you hardly got that as you spend like most of the game on one planet.

Thank you. This was exactly my problem with the game. Also the fact that the game starts off rather cinematic with moving cutscenes etc and then sorta just replaces all those with people standing around and talking alot during cutscenes....doing nothing. Till the end.

Neil

Being the only Star Ocean I've played... I can safely say it is one of my favourite RPG's ever.
The game has so much longevity to it, I love the battle system. Loved the characters. Voice acting wasn't bad....
I just loved it all really :)
My only quarm is that although a lot happens on disk 1, none of it really seems relevant by the time Maria joins. And that takes quite a while.

RSLAEV

the horrible, horrible performances killed it for me. I don't know how some of you can play RPG's with shitty stories and characters. It's like reading a shitty book cause you like the pictures or the weight of the paper.

SO3 was just baaaad. I can totally see it beintg written by some programmer instead of oh I don't know a 'writer'?

ex0du5

Banned
Yeah the plot twist was stupid, but the game was awesome. Awesome gameplay, awesome music, 60fps, yes please! :D

Skilletor

RSLAEV said:
the horrible, horrible performances killed it for me. I don't know how some of you can play RPG's with shitty stories and characters. It's like reading a shitty book cause you like the pictures or the weight of the paper.

SO3 was just baaaad. I can totally see it beintg written by some programmer instead of oh I don't know a 'writer'?

I couldn't care less about story in rpgs. I'm there for music, battle system, places they go to. If an rpg does have an engaging story, that's a bonus but not required. I read books for stories.

SO3's battle system was tons of fun, I loved it.

eXistor

Meh, I had a good time with it. I realise what's wrong with the game, but to be honest the biggest drawback for me was the fact that 70% of the game took place on a medieval world. I wanted more spacecrap!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I was a big fan of SO1 and #2 is probably my favorite RPG next to the Phantasy Star series, so to say I had high hopes for 3 would be an understatement. Duckroll pretty much nailed my complaints with the game, which is kinda funny because one of the first things I remember when I first started posting at NeoGAF was duckroll brutally mocking the game (this was right before the English version released).

But to reiterate my feelings on the game:

-Weak characterization, a lot of characters join you towards the end where they are so underpowered as to be irrelevant.

-The plot twist that basically made the events of SO1 and 2 irrelevant.

-Great dungeon design, but the 100% completion in the dungeon seemed a bit too hard to get and waaaaay too obsessive-compulsive, since in some environments, you needed to walk over every exact step.

-The item creation system was totally changed and downgraded

-Lack of interesting skills like pickpocketing, summoning the pigeon to fetch items for you, riding the bunny, etc.

-Battle system felt very clunky and off, like attacks would frequently miss enemies, as they would stumble to the floor and you wouldn't target them. Not to mention the poor AI and the fact that a lot of times, chars/opponents would be on screen.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
it had a good battle system, it just got very arduous as it went on.

the game felt like a medieval game more than it felt like a sci-fi game, too. at least in the first half.

Aeana said:
It seems like most people just hate it because of the plot twist, which I think is a rather silly reason to hate an entire game.

I've seen the flaws for what they are. Many of the things that were put in were not play-tested on their effect on other game systems leading to problems or contrived actions on the player's part.

You can allocate stat points into HP, SP, Offense, and Defense!

- If you neglect the first, the second suffers and vice versa.
- Go O, and the characters are perma-bezerk, and go D, and they run like hell from everything. Nothing in game is said about that.

The Guard > Strong > Weak cancellation system is tactical!

- After about 25 game hours most enemies will have No Guard. This is pricey for your characters to equip and has spotty usefulness, but for the enemies, who like most RPG enemies have more HP than you do, that translates into much of the time where they go Juggernaut and you simply cannot stuff thier multi-hit AOE HP-and-MP damaging + status ailment attacks. This means death for those simpletons you call teammates as they ride thru the valley of the shadow of death that is many enemies later on. Good thing Fate's OP if you tweak...
- Note also that to stuff an attack with 100% Guts, you have to stand still for a bit and not do anything. The computer AI is at least not fooled by this, and either hits someone else, or attacks with something that will cut thru it.

Item Creation is revamped!

- Sorta. Since your guys cannot be the entirety of your workstaff now and be effective, you do searches for the crafters who can round out your team. Unfortunately, from a cash and time viewpoint, the final weapons from Weaponsmithing are the only sure bets.

Combo system 250% damage!

- Useless for casters
- Often has wierd pauses (Shotguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun....BLAST! Hey, where'd the monster go?) which let enemies wander off. Yes, not hit you; wander off in mid-combo. That's a lot of Guts and HP wasted; it's better to stunlock the old fashioned way most of the time.

You're 30 hours in, here are two new party members!

- You cannot backtrack now.
- They're level 1.
- You do the math.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if the star ocean world is a big videogame, that would explain people with names like 'fate linegod' and 'edge maverick.' because game designers are stupid lol

Rolf NB

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Thank you. This was exactly my problem with the game. Also the fact that the game starts off rather cinematic with moving cutscenes etc and then sorta just replaces all those with people standing around and talking alot during cutscenes....doing nothing. Till the end.
no-hurry.jpg

Sorry, that was pre-capture card, using the ancient camera-at-tv technique

Teasel

duckroll said:
Well here goes:

The entire Star Ocean universe, the "Eternal Sphere" is a computer simulation system created in the real world. Basically everything that has happened in SO1-3 are part of some simulation that is used for experimentation/entertainment in the real world. What starts getting fucked up is that some of the people running the simulation start playing god and introducing programs and stuff to control the good and evil in the world, etc. For whatever retarded JRPG reason, all such viruses, termination programs, etc are represented by dragons and other fantasy crap.

In this Matrix, your main character is the Neo. Created with the right "DNA" (read: program code) to break the 4th dimensional wall to get to the real world to stop the termination program. In the end you defeat the creator LUCIFER or something, but the entire program gets shut down anyway. Yet.... everyone survives because they BELIEVED in themselves and hence as long as they BELIEVE they exist.... they will..... or SOMETHING. :p
so if the programmer died who's gonna make SO4 now? :O

Coverly

I thought this game was the vgcats of jrpgs.

It was so mediocre in the pace and delivery of the story that by the time the plot twist came around, instead of being blown away, I just didn't care anymore.
I enjoyed the battle system though, it's the only thing I really loved in that game.

I did finish the game, saw the multiple endings, and was dissapointed by all of them.

Jiggy

duckroll said:
Well here goes:

The entire Star Ocean universe, the "Eternal Sphere" is a computer simulation system created in the real world. Basically everything that has happened in SO1-3 are part of some simulation that is used for experimentation/entertainment in the real world.
bcn-ron said:
Before, I kind of knew the plot twist but not entirely, and I was simply indifferent to SO3. But after hearing this I do actively hate it,
since apparently all the awesomeness that was SO2 doesn't matter.
:mad: Talk about trashing one's own series.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
drohne said:
if the star ocean world is a big videogame, that would explain people with names like 'fate linegod' and 'edge maverick.' because game designers are stupid lol

Given the plot twist,
wouldn't that actually make the players stupid? And the names pretty realistic, although they should have more numbers at the end and references to the players' favorite rap stars.

pyros

i personally really liked this game, but can understand why some people disliked it, the pacing for the game seem to be off, and the ending could have been done better

kammy

Banned
I thought the character designs were horrible and so was the voice acting. Really put me off the game. I enjoyed the second story although never got to play it too far in, but end of time was tedious.

What a missed boat.

Why do JRPG all have such crap difficulty spikes?

i dont understand how it makes the stories of SO1 and 2 worthless. the world was real to the characters, thats what matters.

its like any real person playing any video game and saying "well i thought it was a good game, until i realized that it's not a real world, i was just PLAYING it." and then going out to play hopscotch instead.

I remember picking up the original box at the first price drop knowing full well (and obviously waving off) some of the hate it received. Enjoyed it straight through to the end, though it isn't one of those rare titles I'll sometimes waste time defending.

Belfast said:
I just want to drop in and say that the plot twist never bothered me.

The impact for me was softened by Cliff deadpanning "You'd think the evil mastermind's lair would be a little more...intense."

BlueTsunami said:
I played the original SO1 (Patched with Dejap Translation and on SNES9X)
I think that Time Gate is in SO2? Maybe I'm wrong with that but I know for a fact that the same vista (dry, dead planet) was housing that Time Gate was in SO1.

And yeah, it sucks how it effects the past games if thats to be taken as canon. Well, it IS to be taken as canon since its part of the series I guess. Which makes which direction SO4 will go that more interesting.

Also, yeah the whole
Glyph thing being imprinted on DNA to break into the 4th Dimension made me groan. Thats when I knew that I need to keep playing for the secret items and shit. The story got fucked up

I didnt mind that as much as the whole "Were alive because we believe!" part of it. That part was not only dumb, but really really corny.

I liked the game, even though SO2 is superior.

Another vote for the "enjoyed it" crowd here. I loved the combat. Could have been it's own game really. The story was interesting to me too...I think that twist can make or break the game for a lot of people (and seems to have broken more than made)

Jigsaw

Banned
one of my favourite rpgs of the last gen,cant understand all the hate....the whole matrix story twist was crap though,however,the gameplay,the graphics,the soundtrack(imo the best ost of all last gen rpgs)were all incredible

played it for over 100hours and got many characters to level 255....but never was able to beat freya :(

awsome game,cant wait for the remakes + so4...as long as it comes to ps3

J-Rzez

Abel1p.jpg

Other than Albel that looked like a chick, (and was some kinda "Vegeta" type persona character) I thought the other characters were pretty cool... Nel was pretty hawt, though, I was waiting many of times for there to be some hot lesbo scene take place with her faction members... Actually, my one friend is totally in love with all the chicks in the game for some reason, haha, especially what's her face that calls you and gives you updates on the item creation rankings...

I liked the game overall... bought it as a greatest hit, and got my money's worth as I got about 40hrs out of it... Battle system was awesome, sound/music was great, decent graphics, cool item creation, not bad overall... the story was love/hate, but, i kinda swayed to the love part...

J-Rzez said:
Actually, my one friend is totally in love with all the chicks in the game for some reason, haha, especially what's her face that calls you and gives you updates on the item creation rankings...

Your "friend" huh?

Top Bottom