• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does my Windows 10 computer start to suck if I leave it on too long?

I have a ThinkPad with Windows 10 for work. If I leave it on for several days straight, everything starts fucking up. Zoom/Outlook/my Internet/etc. all start having issues. it also just starts running slow and feels bogged down.

it gets fixed once I restart. why is this a problem in 2022? I have a MacBook Air that's like 4 years old. I don't think I've turned it off for close to a year and I have zero issues.

bitbydeath

From what I understand Microsoft tends to hold onto its legacy code for essentially backwards compatibility reasons. Which means data from the very first Windows system can still be present in the latest Windows.

Apple on the other hand, they tell developers in advance to upgrade their software or be left behind. Allowing the entire OS to be brought up to the latest and greatest of standards.

Doesn't mean you can't still go months between updates with zero issues.
What? My post literally says I'm having issues after a few days.

I just googled this and it appears to be a very common issue

EDIT: If you are suggesting something is wrong on my end, would you please provide more info?

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What? My post literally says I'm having issues after a few days.

I just googled this and it appears to be a very common issue

EDIT: If you are suggesting something is wrong on my end, would you please provide more info?
If you Google for Mac it is also a very common issue.
Is it a laptop you bought for work, or work bought for you? Mine has tons of shit installed by my work that I can't change and a whole bunch of settings I can't change.

If you Google for Mac it is also a very common issue.
Is it a laptop you bought for work, or work bought for you? Mine has tons of shit installed by my work that I can't change and a whole bunch of settings I can't change.
provided by work, they own it. I don't think I can go around tweaking shit too much

can think of 2 possibilities:

- laptop is throttling probably due to excessive heat. Check exhaust ports to see if they are clear of dust. If you use it not placed on a table, make sure the exhaust isn't obstructed.

- this could be win10 auto update doing its thing. By default the peer2peer is turned on. Try disabling that. Actually since this is your work PC, you should probably talk to your IT guys first before asking for advice here.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It was already ass, you just can’t bare the level of ass that it’s become. A cheap windows laptop is a curse from the depths of hell. You have to go top tier for one that’s bearable and lasts. I doubt your work spent that kind of cash.

Last edited:
It was already ass, you just can’t bare the level of ass that it’s become. A cheap windows laptop is a curse from the depths of hell. You have to go top tier for one that’s bearable and lasts. I doubt your work spent that kind of cash.
I thought ThinkPads were considered good? it at least feels real sturdy.

Mistake

You don’t see anything under task manager? Windows antimalware or update usually slow my computer down, but if you have a defragger, that could also do it. Leaky tabs in your browser as well

YCoCg

Sounds like the uptime calculator is going out of sync over time, this could be for a variety of reasons though.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I often get emails from my service desk telling me I haven’t shut down / restarted my work computer for several days and could I do it asap. Mines a Lenovo too. When I had the HP (which admittedly I dropped down the stairs and fucked up) they never emailed me to shut down and restart and left that fucker on the same with the lid closed.

Maybe Lenovo are shit?

Drew1440

Chances are it's some background software your workplace has installed that causing the issue, have a look in task manager/event viewer Modern Windows generally has no issues running 24/7

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Have to use W10 at work and have MacOS at home. I honestly can leave my Mac on for months/year without any issue. It only restarts when there is an update. I have a lot of shit on ot.

W10 gives me shit on a daily basis. Teams aint working no more out of the blue? Restart PC. Outlook froze? Can't kill it myself... restart the PC etc. Random shit stops working, yeah right restart PC. Our IT-Hotline without fail first wants you to restart the PC before even starting to investigate something. That's on a 3000$ HP Fury workstation Laptop.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
I think the issues is that people/IT departments load up Windows with shit far more than MacOS.

That shit can then end up shitting up the entire OS. I don't have to deal with any of that though, so my Windows installs are fine. Older systems (pretty only laptops and tablets as they are 'packaged' systems) can take a few fresh installs and testing of what programs and drivers work, but that's mainly due to old drivers. Ever since you could reset your PC while keeping your files that's never been too much of a hassle for me.

I suggest you back-up your data (just in case) and then reset it, then install what you need. If you aren't in control of it, then demand that your IT department do or simply give you a new machine.

tl;dr: fill your computer with junk; expect your computer to act like junk.

I've never had any issues with Windows on my computers going back to XP. They only time I reboot my Windows machines is to install OS or driver updates. This seems like a user problem.

I have a MacBook Pro and pretending Mac OS is perfect while slagging on Windows is hilarious. Both have their share of bugs. I was delighted with the bug in Mac OS 12 Monterey that made the touchpad randomly not accept tap to click for months, it wasn't fixed until 12.1.

HoodWinked

might be because you don't use it for awhile so it needs to catch up on updates and whatever IT crap they are enforcing or scanning.

SSD also makes a massive difference.

Top Bottom