• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Tekken 8 look like Tekken 7.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjules

Look at this video and tell me that same thing you just said

We're getting closer and closer to CGI graphics as gameplay.

Is there anything new in the game or? Just upgraded graphics and moves?

WWbjS7K.jpg

Last edited:

Js562

Shit looks good to me. What do you want it to look like lol It's all about the gameplay for me tho if I find it fun it don't matter.

Chukhopops

What matters most for a fighting game is stable framerate, not graphics. So they will always be a bit « under-optimized » to keep some framerate room.

Tekken 7 looked waaay worse than that especially the XBO version (720p and every character looking like it was covered in Vaseline).

JeloSWE

Sometimes it looks like there are shadows missing.
Yes, there are definitely some lights not casting shadows. I'm not a fan but it can be many reasons: it's still in production, it's a look they are going for, and it's more performant than if every light cast shadows.

Is there anything new in the game or? Just upgraded graphics and moves?
What specifically are you looking for in regards to the franchise?

Assuming this isn’t a troll thread, I feel that it’s better to just ask you directly rather than play this song and dance of ‘proving you wrong’ that everyone else is doing.

MMaRsu

Banned
What matters most for a fighting game is stable framerate, not graphics. So they will always be a bit « under-optimized » to keep some framerate room.

Tekken 7 looked waaay worse than that especially the XBO version (720p and every character looking like it was covered in Vaseline).
Not on pc.

Blame Namco for that horrifying Xbox port. Doesnt mean Tekken 7 doesnt look great and performs flawlessly (bar the idiotic loading times)

MMaRsu

Banned
What specifically are you looking for in regards to the franchise?

Assuming this isn’t a troll thread, I feel that it’s better to just ask you directly rather than play this song and dance of ‘proving you wrong’ that everyone else is doing.
I dont know, why is it up to me to think of new stuff? Isnt that up to the devs

onQ123

My problem is that it doesn't look like "Tekken" to me for some reason but I only seen these small clips so maybe the for game will give a better picture

I dont know, why is it up to me to think of new stuff?
This isn’t what I was asking if you. Let’s be earnest here. Assuming you’ve played prior Tekken games, you could easily answer my question. I’ll make it easy for you:

Do you want a separate single player campaign? Like SF6 is doing?

Do you want mini games like the older Tekkens?

Do you want an MK-like crypt mode?

Do you want a more involved tutorial system?

Do you want new cast members?

Do you want a complete change in mechanics like Tekken 4?

Do you want a tag system?

Or more projectile based gameplay like guest character Akuma?

Do you want more guest characters?

All I ask is that you throw the thread a tiny bone so that we can have a decent conversation, instead of a thread that will vanish within 24 hours.

GymWolf

Because strangely enough, people have low graphical standards when it comes to beat em up.

At least the guys behind MK try harder than the others (but their animations are the worst)

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

I don't understand why in past fighting games were the benchmark for graphics and today even open-world games seems to have better character models/world. Probably the budget is a lot smaller than other genres?
And the talent pool is gone too. They rely on third party engines. IMO it's part as to why Tekken has lost its unique visual language. Each Tekken game used to be a visual paradigm shift up to and including T5. T8 looks like they just settled for the bare minimum and then overdoing the particle effects and hit stuns to obnoxious levels. I miss when Tekken was a bit more grounded and toned down.

Gambit2483

You might have just answered your own question...

That said, doesn't it feel weird how SF6 seems more of a "next step" than Tekken 8 does from 7? Just something I noticed.

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Because the animations and joint rigging is recycled. Most of the 3D meshes are reused. It lacks the unique aesthetics the series is known for.

The male characters look like roided out Hobbits. It does not even try to create the illusion of fighting in a world instead of a circular or rectangular stage. It would be interesting to see anatomically correct character models with interactive stages like Dead or Alive 4.

I really do not get why movement has to be gimped to put back dash canceling on a pedastil. Also, all the mechanics they keep adding overpower existing mechanics instead of being in line with them and parts that need refinement get neglected (like strikes hitting air and connecting or strikes going through characters and missing).

As far as content is concerned, they need to bring back survival and ghost battle. A nine stage arcade mode with character interactions and fmv endings relevant to the characters like Tekken 5 would also be nice.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I bet if they try to do drastic change people would complain that it’s no longer Tekken.

People will complain no matter what they do.

Solidus_T

These graphics are a generational leap, as well as the game system getting a complete overhaul, adding shit like meter and a system that changes your character's moves to guarantee follow up pressure. I don't know what tf anyone is talking about saying that this game is "Tekken 7.5" - probably people who don't pay much attention to how the games play?

Last edited:

SSfox

You mean graphically?

maxresdefault.jpg

3991483-sf6.jpg

street-fighter-6-roster-characters-list-guile.jpg

imo tekken looks better and a bigger jump graphically.
SF6 looks great to me, but what make a big difference is Tekken 8 having more variety of stages designs Arena with walls, bigger arena with walls, some have balcony, and they'll probably be more varity like floor breaks etc, while in SF6 all Stage are basically the same and only difference are the looks and asthetics (still looking forward for SF6 though)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom