• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does the colour on my oled tv look more similar to my original switch's colour and worse than the colour on my oled Switch?

I've had an LG C9 for well over a year now and since getting it I've never really understood the praise, people say oled is like some kind of wow moment but I've always thought apart from the blacks which are an improvement it's looked similar to any other ips screen I've had.
That was until today when I got my oled Switch and it really was a wow moment due to how nice it looked. Especially compared to my original Switch, it's a night and day improvement. So I compared my tv to both my oled Switch and my original switch and colour wise it's much more similar to the original switch than it is to my oled switch. I don't know how to describe it exactly but the colours don't seem as deep and they don't pop as much. Very noticeable on the eshop where the orange on my oled switch looks really good but on both my original switch and oled tv they look very similar to each other where the orange looks just meh.

I've noticed similar results with games like smash bros as well where it definitely looks best on my oled switch whereas the oled tv and original switch look similar to each other and meh compared to the oled switch.
I've no idea why this is but it's pretty annoying tbh, I paid quite a bit for the tv and I thought it was just a case of the internet overblowing things again but it turns out the colour is just shitty on it. I don't think it's the calibration as I looked online when I got the tv and used the recommended preset (forget which one it was) and tuned those settings into my game mode.

Any ideas why this might be and what I could do to fix it?

Keihart

The colors and blacks of OLEDs are way better than IPS on my experience, IPS in comparison looks washed out when trying to get an accurate depiction of the source material.
OLED HDR content on a dark room looks amazing.

Maybe you are vivid profile type of user, personally i prefer more detailed colors.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Every screen has a different tint to it. Just the nature of the technology whether it be IPS, OLED, VA. If you go to an apple store and check out the phones, they are all over the place. Some more red, some more yellow, some more blue etc

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I've had an LG C9 for well over a year now and since getting it I've never really understood the praise, people say oled is like some kind of wow moment but I've always thought apart from the blacks which are an improvement it's looked similar to any other ips screen I've had.
That was until today when I got my oled Switch and it really was a wow moment due to how nice it looked. Especially compared to my original Switch, it's a night and day improvement. So I compared my tv to both my oled Switch and my original switch and colour wise it's much more similar to the original switch than it is to my oled switch. I don't know how to describe it exactly but the colours don't seem as deep and they don't pop as much. Very noticeable on the eshop where the orange on my oled switch looks really good but on both my original switch and oled tv they look very similar to each other where the orange looks just meh.

I've noticed similar results with games like smash bros as well where it definitely looks best on my oled switch whereas the oled tv and original switch look similar to each other and meh compared to the oled switch.
I've no idea why this is but it's pretty annoying tbh, I paid quite a bit for the tv and I thought it was just a case of the internet overblowing things again but it turns out the colour is just shitty on it. I don't think it's the calibration as I looked online when I got the tv and used the recommended preset (forget which one it was) and tuned those settings into my game mode.

Sounds like you prefer popping colors and brightness which is more Samsung's color science than the natural "creator's intent" colors LG goes for.

Fix is to mess with your TV picture settings.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Crank the color intensity up on your OLED and it will look closer to Switch.

Alright, thanks for the advice guys. I'll fiddle with my tv settings next time I get the chance and see if I can get it looking more to my preference.

In the DF review I'm sure I saw a new toggle setting in the switch oled menu for standard/vivid colours. It may be set to vivid which explains the difference. You could also calibrate your LG c9 differently if you prefer a more punchy look.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I think I'm still basically using the recommended settings on my CX, but I also had this slight nag that the colours just weren't quite right for me. It's not so much that they weren't bright, more just not quite 'correct', to be honest.

I've had the set since February, so if I was ever going to get used to the settings, like some kind of connoisseur, I'd have done so before now.

So last week I just randomly changed the temperature setting to W15 (from 0 - I think this was per the guide but maybe I'd chosen it myself, not sure). Anyway, everything immediately looked MUCH better, it was transformative.

I haven't bothered to look into why, because I don't need some killjoy ruining it for me lol. The display looks fucking brilliant now and that's all that really matters.

Maybe I'm cheating and getting a more vivid image at the expense of accuracy, or maybe this is the right setting, or maybe my display was just more blue than the average and this was a necessary corrective; I dunno.

Anyway, long story short, maybe try the temperature setting as your first resort.

Kuranghi

Set your oled tv to 'store' settings. That should be the equivalent to 'vibrant' setting on the switch.

No, don't do that. I'm not saying Deerock is wrong that it will make it look similar but it will also destroy the image so not a good idea.

Your TV looks more how it should to recreate the creators intent probably, setting it to vivid or dynamic is like going to a fancy restaurant and then adding loads of ketchup to every dish, you can do it but it kind of defeats the purpose of owning such an expensive display, the money you paid for the OLED is getting partially wasted if you just crush blacks and make the colour over saturated since you paid to have that awesome depth of the image but doing this will just make much brighter but also flatter in a way.

Ultimately its personal preference so don't listen to me if you want but the reasons nerds will tell you to follow the creators intent is not just to see it like it was made but to not cause problems in the image if you turn colour up or set the white or black level too high/low. Think of it like the difference between a plateau and a mountain on a topographical map, you want the mountain because you want to see all the gradation of colour and brightness and only see high peaks when its needed, meanwhile the plateau makes the pixels that shouldn't be so bright/vibrant near or at the same level as the things that should, so when the display is asked to display really bright or colour-wise vibrant pixels you will be disappointed because it won't be much different than the normal content you watched or worse it will blow out/oversaturated those pixels (the ones that are meant to wow the most) and make it look bad.

Last edited:

nikos

Your TV is more than likely way closer to what the image "should" look like. That said, you can try the following:

Disable the Switch's vivid mode in settings, see if it's closer to what the TV is displaying.
Bump the color saturation on your TV, it'll probably be enough to give you a more vivid look. It's going to be less accurate, but you should ultimately tweak the settings to what you find to be pleasing.

the OLED Switch has very inaccurate color in its standard setting.

your TV most likely has more correctly calibrated color... so these "worse" colors is the way it's supposed to look, while the OLED Switch completely overblows them
I will add to that and say the pixels per inch are much greater on the handheld than the 55 or 65 inch c9 the TC has.

AnotherOne

Switch oled screen gets up to 350 nits full field your c9 gets around half of that at around 130-150, brightness effects color vibrancy.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Sorry you fell for the OLED meme,friend.

Don't listen to LTT (or Samsung) for your TV information, they don't say they are experts or anything but they give stupid/biased information like saying a freaking IPS panel LCD can look as good as an OLED in a dark room. Thats just stupid, it doesn't matter how much image processing Samsung does to make an LCD look like an OLED it will never be one and some content just looks bad on LCD because its too difficult for the tech to display.

I'm not saying OLED is perfect I have plenty of issues with it, but saying its a con/meme is hilarious when Samsung literally just pretend they made a new thing with QLED, thats literally a meme. All the big brands have quantum dots in their LCDs and Sony even had them in 2013 in a different form but it wasn't viable long term, just like Samsung OLED tech wasn't before LG brought out theirs.

Samsung does some things amazingly well, like reflection handling, but outside of that their LCDs aren't any more special than LCDs from Sony from 5 years ago, I say that because Sony doesn't give a fuck about high end 4K LCD anymore and are focusing on 8K and OLED whereas Samsung can afford to keep putting out over-priced 4K LCDs.

Sony and Panasonic brought out their end-game 4K FALD LCDs in 2016 and have gone downhill with them since then, in terms of dimming/HDR punch capability. Samsung tried to beat them until 2019 but then gave up and starting focusing more on design and using image processing to compensate for downgrading the backlight HW. Sony have downgraded the HW even more but their processing is much better and they already made their GOAT display in 2016, the ZD9. Its surpassed in many ways and has issues that affect gaming but its also unmatched interms of dimming/HDR impact.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Lots of good advice in here already, but just wanted to say there are lots of calibration videos on YouTube for any specific set. Check those out and as you learn the specifics about your personal preferences in the settings you can update as needed.

The higher quality your setup the more consideration you should put into setting it up and calibrating it. Even a fine musical instrument needs to be in tune before it can be used to create art.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
OP don't use OLED's!

every day 10 people die because of exploding oled's

oh also

i need to link this article

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Off-topic: Is there anyone on GAF called Oleg? My customers sometimes called OLED sets "OLEGs" and its really hard not to laugh every time because its become a private joke between me and my colleague:

Steve Harvey Lol GIF by NBC

Humanising inanimate objects with short names is just funny I guess. Like if Samsung come out with new tech next year and its called a Samsung Tony. Or a Sony Sally.

Kuranghi

OP don't use OLED's!

oh also

Exactly, and those are older OLEDs, its probably even harder to burn them now. Even in shops I don't see burn in on 2020+ models that are literally playing the internal 2 minute demo on repeat at max brightness for 12 hours a day. The demo protects itself but even with content from a media box on repeat it rarely happens nowadays.

It only happens in shops when they don't let them do compensation cycles at night, due to the way they schedule power in the shop. A central system just auto turns everything off at night at a certain time. Thats really the key for consumers, not switching it off at the plug at night.

Last edited:

Fbh

OP don't use OLED's!

oh also

ParaSeoul watching his 5 daily hours of nothing but NBC for a 6th year in a row on a regular LCD without having to worry about burn in
200w.gif

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Switch oled screen gets up to 350 nits full field your c9 gets around half of that at around 130-150, brightness effects color vibrancy.

Full field on solid white, on average it ranges from 200 to 300 nits depending on scene.

sNRDosl.png

Last edited:

This is the answer you are looking for.

The SOLED have an option to change color saturation in the settings, that may be culprit.

Not all oleds are created equally, my vita oled is shockingly beautiful, my pixel 5 oled is nothing special, why that is? fuck if i know

I think it's power related stuff, usually you will notice a power gap between the highest tier model and the rest of tvs , specs are overrated, just buy the best one and I don't mean the most expensive one but you get the point.

dotnotbot

Bro look at the 100% window sustained, plus c9 probably has more aggressive ABL compared to switch.

Yes, that's 100% full white window. How often do you see full white screen in games? Of course it has more aggresive ABL, just saying 150 nits is like the lowest low you can see only on full white screen, average normal picture will be a lot brighter.

jT0vmgg.png

Last edited:

Maybe OLED switches colors are inaccurate...IDK I just purchased a OLED switch today and I have a LG C1 to compare...

So I took a look at the Switch's settings and going from vivid to standard makes it look a lot more similar to how my tv looks, still a bit more colourful than my tv I think but the difference is less noticeable. Not sure I prefer it but hearing about how it'll last longer on standard than vivid I might just stick with standard on my Switch and keep my tv settings as they are.

AGRacing

Gold Member
People with calibrated or near calibrated TV's just don't like fun in their lives. I have the C9 as well. Thing is like watching a fireworks display every time I turn it on.

Do a factory reset.

Top Bottom