• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don’t Arkane Studios games sell well?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Spoken like someone who has not played their games or is blind af.

77F96B562864FBCAC7355EF366DAB860D812BBC8

5F828A708EC3187BC1A7F86F0DBFA1541138BA1C

5F890FDD0AA46DC2EC27346771492E395FDF322E

Dishonored 2 released almost 7 years ago. Its still in top 10 atmosphere/level design/visuals. Now gtfo.
Ah yes. Fancy photo mode screenshots can make any game look good. This is what it looks like during gameplay.

dyX58Mqp9FDFLGKsBozu4Y.jpg

MV5BN2ZhZDZhYjItZGJiNy00NDRlLTgyYjEtMzk1NjhlOTBjZjMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk5NDI0MA@@._V1_.jpg

Capture-7-1200x670.jpg

Ugly artstyles in every game. Dishonored, Prey, Deathloop.

It's ok to like trashy looking games. People have bad taste. A bunch of big hollywood actresses are currently taking turns fucking that human gonorrehea Pete Davidson. Doesnt make him good looking.

That's why being under Xbox is the best for the future of Arkane. Arkane's games are no longer under pressure to sell the traditional way anymore. They now form a larger group effort to attract new Game Pass subscribers and/or retaining existing Game Pass subscribers. As part of Game Pass, Arkane and every other first-party studio title under Microsoft, will make Xbox all the money they ever need to make as part of Game Pass. Whatever sells well traditionally also is a bonus.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Ah yes. Fancy photo mode screenshots can make any game look good. This is what it looks like during gameplay.

dyX58Mqp9FDFLGKsBozu4Y.jpg

MV5BN2ZhZDZhYjItZGJiNy00NDRlLTgyYjEtMzk1NjhlOTBjZjMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk5NDI0MA@@._V1_.jpg

Capture-7-1200x670.jpg

It's ok to like trashy looking games. People have bad taste. A bunch of big hollywood actresses are currently taking turns fucking that human gonorrehea Pete Davidson. Doesnt make him good looking.
lmfao you picked out the most low res ugly fucking screenshots from youtube while The Cockatrice The Cockatrice used actual native photomode, high resolution photos. You're not slick bro.

the fact you're trying to act like it OBJECTIVELY looks bad and that if you like it, you have bad taste is just another amazing take from the forum's local clown Slimysnake

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Photo mode? Bro, its literally a steam screenshot lmfao that I took ingame, while playing it, no photo mode, nothing. Actual gameplay and did you just look up the worst screenshots at the lowest resolution you can find online to prove a point? Holy shit, no one is this dumb, no way, you have to be trolling, right?? You can disable the HUD or have it auto-hide itself, there is no photo mode unless they recently added one. Jesus you are the dumbest person on this planet, I generally dont add people to ignore but you deserve it.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/id/steal...owsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall#scrollTop=0

Last edited:

Neilg

I think the only thing released around that time was Tales of Arise and Lost Judgement

Both of which were great though. I cant think of many people who preferred deathloop to these - my friends are either full on COD/FIFA warriors, or much more excited by an rpg or yakuza title. Deathloop looked too weird for the COD crowd and not weird enough for the others.
I didn't get it because it looked like a rougelike and I have no time for that. I imagine people that like rougelikes found out it wasnt a real one and also checked out.

They should have just marketed it as a linear FPS that has a more interesting story than most. if some people that play COD had never heard of arkane and got mad, fuck em, they make games for microsoft now anyway. Sony had nothing to lose.
The marking was dire and it was a pretty clear example of how you can over market something to the point where people get sick of hearing about it and their opinion starts to re-form as a result.

lol your first screenshot is from someone playing on the lowest settings and resolution possible.

Last edited:

Griffon

It's a simple fact that their games aren't very appealing to play.

While on an intellectual level I can see why Dishonored or Prey would be decent games, when I try to play those I just want to do something else with my time.
It's like some appetizing looking food that ends up tasting like sand when you take a bite.

I think they lack the fundamental talent to make the play by play fun.

Last edited:
Can you alter the story that much? If you kill more people it creates more rats, and you get the bad ending, which always annoyed me. It's a game about stabbing people where you get punished for stabbing people. Their games have a lot of anti-fun designs which put me off playing them.

A good stealth game gives you low chaos/non-kill options, unlike Wolfenstein where i still have no clue why they even include stealth as an option

Kvally

Banned
Photo mode? Bro, its literally a steam screenshot lmfao that I took ingame, while playing it, no photo mode, nothing. Actual gameplay and did you just look up the worst screenshots at the lowest resolution you can find online to prove a point? Holy shit, no one is this dumb, no way, you have to be trolling, right?? You can disable the HUD or have it auto-hide itself, there is no photo mode unless they recently added one. Jesus you are the dumbest person on this planet, I generally dont add people to ignore but you deserve it.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/id/steal...owsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall#scrollTop=0
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Both of which were great though. I cant think of many people who preferred deathloop to these - my friends are either full on COD/FIFA warriors, or much more excited by an rpg or yakuza title. Deathloop looked too weird for the COD crowd and not weird enough for the others.

Which makes sense if you only consider the console audience. It was on Steam the same day and that audience is much more widespread than CoD and JRPGs

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
lmfao you picked out the most low res ugly fucking screenshots from youtube while The Cockatrice The Cockatrice used actual native photomode, high resolution photos. You're not slick bro.

the fact you're trying to act like it OBJECTIVELY looks bad and that if you like it, you have bad taste is just another amazing take from the forum's local clown Slimysnake

People are attracted to games for different reasons. I feel like too many people are far more concerned with graphics than with a great engaging story that's deeper than a mud puddle, unique gameplay or actual FUN in games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I feel like too many people are far more concerned with graphics than with a great engaging story that's deeper than a mud puddle, unique gameplay or actual FUN in games
he can point to graphics but can't point out a single thing about the gameplay that makes it lesser than any other AAA game. It's all about the visuals. He doesn't like them because they arent NECKST GEEHN enough for him.

Kvally

Banned
he can point to graphics but can't point out a single thing about the gameplay that makes it lesser than any other AAA game. It's all about the visuals. He doesn't like them because they arent NECKST GEEHN enough for him.
Saints Row 2022 is ugly AF, but I sure had fun playing it mindlessly. 🤷‍♂️

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Game quality is irrelevant to sales unless you go crazy with heavy handed marketing, or get the attention of casuals on social media, which includes those who get their game buying recommendations from Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube.

No casuals, low sales.
I'd disagree. This is not always the case.

Persona 5 is an unusual and unique game; sold 5 million+ copies. The Witcher 3 is a heavy RPG, not a linear cinematic game for casuals. It sold 25M+ copies. Elden Ring is a niche game made for hardcore gamers; sold 17M+ copies.

If a game's good, it'll find a way to sell well 9 out of 10 times.

SlimySnake

lol your first screenshot is from someone playing on the lowest settings and resolution possible.
It's literally from a review of the game. Hard to believe it but thats what the game looks like on consoles.

Xbox One Review copy provided by the publisher.

I literally chose the first two gameplay screenshots that came up when I googled Dishonored 2.
nZnepH7.jpg

Here are other screenshots from this review.

mPtr2ByLRWT6heZrWW8hkT-970-80.jpg.webp

f2KhS5SfLPLUt45UGyMcTa-970-80.jpg.webp

jcoK6hUsYb2RRccRiCwBXQ-970-80.jpg.webp

Regardless, any game can look good when you run it at native 4k max settings. Doesnt mean they dont look worse than last games.

Here is Redfall. Official screenshot. Tell me if it looks as good as the best looking last gen games.

Pushed_Back_Tides.png

Lighthouse.png

Here is Deathloop. Ultra settings PC.

deathloop%20-%201080p%20medium%20with%20fsr%20ultra.jpg

Here is a gif of their fancy cutscenes.

c79EmVM.gif

Tell me if this looks better than TLOU2, Red Dead, Death Stranding, etc. All last gen games looking better than this next gen only game. Sure.

These are some of the ugliest games in existence. It's like they go out of their way to make them look ugly. The art style just doesnt work. If it did, the games would be selling millions. The proof is in the pudding.

Last edited:
It's sad that immersive SIM genre as a whole doesn't get the attention it deserves. To me, games like prey, Dishonored, Deus ex epitomises gaming. Complex level design, freedom of choice, robust systems to engage with at player discretion, it is without a doubt my favourite genre. Unfortunately the "popular" opinion these days is centered around graphics, animation, production values. And the aforementioned games just don't compete in those areas. I think of the genre like A24 movies Vs say marvel/DC. A24 movies are usually great, but they never reach the popularity of the marvel/DC. It is what it is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's literally from a review of the game. Hard to believe it but thats what the game looks like on consoles.

I literally chose the first two gameplay screenshots that came up when I googled Dishonored 2.

Regardless, any game can look good when you run it at native 4k max settings. Doesnt mean they dont look worse than last games.

Here is Redfall. Official screenshot. Tell me if it looks as good as the best looking last gen games.

Pushed_Back_Tides.png

Lighthouse.png

c79EmVM.gif

Tell me if this looks better than TLOU2, Red Dead, Death Stranding, etc. All last gen games looking better than this next gen only game. Sure.

These are some of the ugliest games in existence. It's like they go out of their way to make them look ugly. The art style just doesnt work. If it did, the games would be selling millions. The proof is in the pudding.
Who are the assholes playing these games with gamma cranked up to 100?

Probably still on 8-bit panels with integrated graphics as well.

Last edited:

Fbh

IMO:

1. Their games are more about the world design than the "moment to moment" gameplay so they don't demo that well nor do they look that good in trailers. Unlike something like, say, Doom Eternal it's hard to really showcase what's good about them in a 3 minutes video
2. Their art direction is very unique and I think not everyone likes it. Personally I've always found the look of their games a bit off putting
3. Immersive sim and similar types of games just aren't that popular

Kvally

Banned

So your opinion is that you don't like their art style. The game looks more fun than TLOU2. I haven't played Redall, so I have to reserve judgment on graphics and game play until I do. Arkane's art style historically has been great IMO. Not everyone has the same opinion as you. Relax.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

It's ok to like trashy looking games. People have bad taste.

Slimy: "these games look terrible and trashy"
Also Slimy: "these games look good on 4k max settings"

ixAOXHv.gif

Skifi28

Good question, I could never get into their games. Maybe because I really dislike the combination of first person and stealth. Just doesn't work for me.

ungalo

Because it's a genre of games that revolves around some very precise design principles and expertise, Dishonored is just inscribed in a traditional line of games called immersive sim.

And nowadays everything that doesn't try to do all at once action, stealth, narrative, open world, RPG is deemed as niche. It's for a subcategory of gamers.

Plus the fact that immersive sim qualities are not easily shown and explainable to the public even though in fact they are really modern games.

SlimySnake

So your opinion is that you don't like their art style. The game looks more fun than TLOU2. I haven't played Redall, so I have to reserve judgment on graphics and game play until I do. Arkane's art style historically has been great IMO. Not everyone has the same opinion as you. Relax.
No my opinion is that most people dont like it. Hence the poor sales. I mean what thread do you think we are in? We are discussing WHY people dont like this game. Im not in the Deathloop OT trashing that game. Im explaining why these games dont sell to the masses. Relax? Im not the guy who called someone else a dumbass and put them on ignore over a difference of opinion. Im plenty calm.

[/URL]

nZnepH7.jpg

Pushed_Back_Tides.png

Lighthouse.png

c79EmVM.gif

Bro you need to get a grip lol

I'd disagree. This is not always the case.

Persona 5 is an unusual and unique game; sold 5 million+ copies. The Witcher 3 is a heavy RPG, not a linear cinematic game for casuals. It sold 25M+ copies. Elden Ring is a niche game made for hardcore gamers; sold 17M+ copies.

If a game's good, it'll find a way to sell well 9 out of 10 times.

Persona 5 got on the social media circuit among casual anime fans.

The Witcher 3 was a mainstream "my friends play this" rpg.

Elden Ring has been the same since Dark Souls on the 360.

You're only proving the rule that no casuals = low sales.

Several of the people buying these games haven't even finished them.

AndrewRyan

It's due to the lack of attention span of most gamers. I don't usually play just one game to completion but instead switch between multiple games depending on my mood. That's a problem for Arcane titles since a big part of the enjoyment is exploiting the small details you discover, most of which are completely optional.

They're among my favorite games of all time and when I look back, I had the time and dedication to play them contiguously. It just seems harder to do that these days with so much competing for your attention. Same with plot-intensive/subtitled movies.

SlimySnake

No, but the difference is the Arkane games are actually fun to play.
If they were fun, people would be buying them.

FJY8hp5UUAEnhMX-740x418.jpg

When you are outsold by Back 4 Blood which flopped hardcore, by a 2019 game like Mortal Kombat 11, by two 2014 games like Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D worlds, maybe its time to admit that these games arent really that much fun.

Arkhane has made 5 games in the last 10 years. Their fanbase isnt growing. You can like their games and thats ok, but if they continue to sell poorly they are not going to be in business for too long.

When you are outsold by Back 4 Blood which flopped hardcore, by a 2019 game like Mortal Kombat 11, by two 2014 games like Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D worlds, maybe its time to admit that these games arent really that much fun.

Arkhane has made 5 games in the last 10 years. Their fanbase isnt growing. You can like their games and thats ok, but if they continue to sell poorly they are not going to be in business for too long.
Don't worry. Sales are not going to matter thanks to game pass.

Can you really use top selling video games list to justify quality when the number 3 best selling game is freaking madden, which is the same bloody game a decade ago, not to mention endless FIFA's and far crys and MLBs? Really now?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Persona 5 got on the social media circuit among casual anime fans.
And why did it get on the social media circuit in the first place when Arkane games didn't? Because it was good enough to be there.
The Witcher 3 was a mainstream "my friends play this" rpg.
And why did the friends start playing it in the first place? Because it was good enough.
Elden Ring has been the same since Dark Souls on the 360.
Dark Souls never sold as much. Elden Ring did. Because it was good enough to do so and built upon years of work.
You're only proving the rule that no casuals = low sales.
As I said, if the game is good enough, it will sell. Games don't necessarily have to appeal to casuals in order to sell, as we have seen numerous times.

Redfall is apparently releasing next year. You won't see it in any "most-games sold charts" because people would rather buy Hogwart's Legacy, Horizon Burning Shores, Jedi Survivor, Final Fantasy XVI, etc, because those games honestly look much better and more appealing than Redfall.

That has been the issue with most Arkane games. They've good games, but there were always better games out there for consumers to buy. And because consumers have limited money, the best games chart, while average games don't. It's survival of the fittest, as I said.

sainraja

People are basically arguing why a game they like is better than a game someone else likes for reasons. All games being mentioned and compared are fun to play for different people yet it doesn't stop some arrogant ones to push forward their opinion of a game as fact. Why are you some of you into gaming anyway?

Dishonored is my favorite series by Arkane. Dishonored is a fun game to play just like TLOU, RDR are. It is possible to express your opinion without being a fanboy and knocking another game you might not be into for reasons and it is also perfectly OKAY to not be into a game that is is mechanically well-made (has good gameplay and all).

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Dishonored didn't have niche left field art direction, it is literally in the style of Half-Life 2 only more high fidelity. With Prey the main criticism I hear is people saying it looks "generic" or "bland" or something, but it is a similar retrofuturistic style to the Bioshock games only more tasteful.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If this was true then games like Titanfall 2 would have sold gangbusters. Sometimes there are external factors that lead to poor sales, be it poor marketing, releasing between the 2 biggest FPS titles of the year, etc.
I agree, sometimes, it happens. But as I said in one of my comments above, on a large enough timespan, good games almost always find a way to sell.

If one game ran into poor marketing or timing, the other game would find success. But if none of the 5 games you released found huge commercial success, then poor marketing or timing can't be it.

Besides, good games find their way despite poor timing and external issues, e.g., Horizon Zero Dawn was overshadows by Zelda Breath of the Wild. It still managed to sold 20 million+ copies.

Top Bottom