• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don’t Arkane Studios games sell well?

GymWolf

Dishonored didn't have niche left field art direction, it is literally in the style of Half-Life 2 only more high fidelity.

I'm sorry?

Characters in hl2 try to be realistic, dishonored has stylized faces.

Not sure where you see the similarity.

johnjohn

Don't worry. Sales are not going to matter thanks to game pass.
Game Pass is probably going to actually help boost sales across Xbox and PC. Arkane obviously make very high quality games, they just need to get people to actually play them lol. The word of mouth thanks to Game Pass is probably going to benefit Arkane more than any other Xbox first party studio.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
People are basically arguing why a game they like is better than a game someone else likes for reasons
Also, in the case of SlimySnake SlimySnake , searching the internet for ways to misrepresent games so they look worse.

The debate probably can't recover now.

GG, everyone.

mad divorce court GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Can you really use top selling video games list to justify quality when the number 3 best selling game is freaking madden, which is the same bloody game a decade ago, not to mention endless FIFA's and far crys and MLBs? Really now?
YES!

Thread title to jog your memory.

Why don’t Arkane Studios games sell well?​

Say what you will about Madden, COD, Mario Kart and Mario 3D worlds. They are FUN games for their FANS. Yes Madden and CoD are the same game every year, and Mario Kart and Mario 3D worlds are literally 2014 games. but they are selling to FANS 10 years later because they are FUN unlike what CatLady was saying. People dont buy bad games they dont have fun playing. The FANS of Arkhane games simply arent buying them or there arent that many of them. Hence, my suggestion that they at least try and update the production values, have better storytelling and include better graphics.

And why did it get on the social media circuit in the first place when Arkane games didn't? Because it was good enough to be there.

And why did the friends start playing it in the first place? Because it was good enough.

Dark Souls never sold as much. Elden Ring did. Because it was good enough to do so and built upon years of work.

As I said, if the game is good enough, it will sell. Games don't necessarily have to appeal to casuals in order to sell, as we have seen numerous times.

Redfall is apparently releasing next year. You won't see it in any "most-games sold charts" because people would rather buy Hogwart's Legacy, Horizon Burning Shores, Jedi Survivor, Final Fantasy XVI, etc, because those games honestly look much better and more appealing than Redfall.

That has been the issue with most Arkane games. They've good games, but there were always better games out there for consumers to buy. And because consumers have limited money, the best games chart, while average games don't. It's survival of the fittest, as I said.

Because it appealed to casuals as a "challenge" game and they wanted to join in.

All of Arkanes games are games you have to invest in and think outside the box, they aren't games that can create a similar fad mindset that wears off after a few weeks.

This has been the case since the studios first game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Game Pass is probably going to actually help boost sales across Xbox and PC. Arkane obviously make very high quality games, they just need to get people to actually play them lol. The word of mouth thanks to Game Pass is probably going to benefit Arkane more than any other Xbox first party studio.
Unlikely, otherwise, Deathloop would have been charting in sales in these last 3 months.

Other Arkane games were also included in Gamepass (and PS Now before that) when MS acquired Bethesda. We didn't see any evidence on those games increasing in sales.

Having said that, Deathloop is a more current and better example.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People are basically arguing why a game they like is better than a game someone else likes for reasons. All games being mentioned and compared are fun to play for different people yet it doesn't stop some arrogant ones to push forward their opinion of a game as fact. Why are you some of you into gaming anyway?

Dishonored is my favorite series by Arkane. Dishonored is a fun game to play just like TLOU, RDR are. It is possible to express your opinion without being a fanboy and knocking another game you might not be into for reasons and it also perfectly OKAY to not be into a game that is is mechanically well-made (has good gameplay and all).
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

SlimySnake

Also, in the case of SlimySnake SlimySnake , searching the internet for ways to misrepresent games so they look worse.

GG, everyone.

mad divorce court GIF
Yes, a well researched post with actual evidence from the actual REVIEWS of the game along with official marketing material from the devs themselves is the reason why we cant have a discussion on the topic. Clearly, times have changed and simple gifs are the way to go in today's online discourse.

ungalo

And why did it get on the social media circuit in the first place when Arkane games didn't? Because it was good enough to be there.

And why did the friends start playing it in the first place? Because it was good enough.

Dark Souls never sold as much. Elden Ring did. Because it was good enough to do so and built upon years of work.

As I said, if the game is good enough, it will sell. Games don't necessarily have to appeal to casuals in order to sell, as we have seen numerous times.

Redfall is apparently releasing next year. You won't see it in any "most-games sold charts" because people would rather buy Hogwart's Legacy, Horizon Burning Shores, Jedi Survivor, Final Fantasy XVI, etc, because those games honestly look much better and more appealing than Redfall.

That has been the issue with most Arkane games. They've good games, but there were always better games out there for consumers to buy. And because consumers have limited money, the best games chart, while average games don't. It's survival of the fittest, as I said.
Are you saying there is like a natural selection were the best games always comes on top ??? I don't get it, is that really your theory ??

We can close this forum why bother ?

Last edited:
I agree, sometimes, it happens. But as I said in one of my comments above, on a large enough timespan, good games almost always find a way to sell.
Do you believe this is unique to the gaming industry or is it true for any form of entertainment? For movies it's definitely not true: most Oscar contenders make well below your typical marvel/DC/star wars movie. There is no direct correlation with box office and critic/audience rating. Even in gaming, Divinity original sin 2 (widely regarded as one of the best crpgs ever) or Disco Elysium and countless other great games have not reached great sales numbers. POPULAR games sell well. Not necessarily good games.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yes, a well researched post with actual evidence from the actual REVIEWS of the game along with official marketing material from the devs themselves is the reason why we cant have a discussion on the topic. Clearly, times have changed and simple gifs are the way to go in today's online discourse.
You were posting in bad faith and got called out.

If you really wanted to have a serious and honest conversation you shouldn't have done that.

Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

I agree, sometimes, it happens. But as I said in one of my comments above, on a large enough timespan, good games almost always find a way to sell.

If one game ran into poor marketing or timing, the other game would find success. But if none of the 5 games you released found huge commercial success, then poor marketing or timing can't be it.

Besides, good games find their way despite poor timing and external issues, e.g., Horizon Zero Dawn was overshadows by Zelda Breath of the Wild. It still managed to sold 20 million+ copies.
Did you really just compare BOTW and Horizon Zero Dawn? Considering they are exclusives to Nintendo and PlayStation, respectively, they never really were in competition with one another for sales no matter what timeline the games were released.

Anyway, while Arkane games aren't chart toppers they still don't sell "poorly" I don't think. source

We are talking 12 million copies sold across all their titles just on Steam. Yes this isn't 20+ million per game like the tops games would sell, but if the same attach rates are applied to consoles those games appeared on, it looks like they are far from losing money.

But yeah, poor marketing and I think perhaps they don't have that AAA appeal that others games might have is likely the culprit behind the low sales numbers. If Arkane a year from now released a game that was the same quality as their previous titles, but it was more CoD style and it was marketed well, it would likely be their best selling game of all-time.

Kokoloko85

I liked the dishonoured games, but probably a bit too slow for some people and the characters don’t have great graphics from what I remember.
I mean look at how Animal Crossing sells, its all about the mainstream

They don't make particularly fun or accessible games is probably why. But they have a small and very vocal online following amongst the hardcore that makes them seem more popular and better than they are.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Are you saying there is like a natural selection were the best games always comes on top ??? I don't get it, is that really your theory ??

We can close this forum why bother ?
Kind of, yes. Better games end up selling more. Now, those games could be better in terms of visuals or gameplay or star power, IP power, or anything. And because it's an open market, people (with limited resources) end up choosing the game they prefer playing more.

Good games find a way to sell -- regardless of their genre and/or casualness. And I merely quoted a few examples of different types of games: TW3 (RPG), Elden Ring (hardcore Souls game), Persona 5 (JRPG anime game).

SlimySnake

You were posting in bad faith and got called out.

If you really wanted to have a serious and honest conversation you shouldn't have done that.
Bad faith? what is this snowflake era nonsense? If people got triggered by bad pictures of their favorite games, thats on them. I didnt make those games. I didnt take those screenshots. Reviewers and Arkhane themselves took them. Take it up with arkhane.

No one is having an honest conversation here. You have fans just saying hey i like the game. Thats not the topic. The topic is WHY the games are not popular. Why OTHERS dont like them. But the moment someone pointed out why, you all got triggered because honesty is too triggering.

If you ask me why people dont like Metal Gear Solid. I will give you a million reasons even though its my favorite franchise. Long cutscenes, dumb stories, bad editing, etc etc. Returnal and Ratchet arent in the top 20 either. Both games I liked but I can give a dozen reasons why they flopped without getting triggered. REturnal has poor storytelling. Ratchet isnt ambitious enough, too samey, etc. I have no idea why you all cant do the same.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Deathloop launched at a time when there really wasn’t that much out, especially ‘next gen’ games. I think the only thing released around that time was Tales of Arise and Lost Judgement
Yeah I get it but like myself people are busy playing games that have a long Life. Rocket league, siege, cod, GTA, FIFA etc etc. it's not like the old days when you needed a lot of games to launch for next gen at once.

johnjohn

Unlikely, otherwise, Deathloop would have been charting in sales in these last 3 months.

Other Arkane games were also included in Gamepass (and PS Now before that) when MS acquired Bethesda. We didn't see any evidence on those games increasing in sales.

Having said that, Deathloop is a more current and better example.
Deathloop is a year old game, and I haven't seen any evidence that Game Pass didn't help it increase sales. Either way, no Arkane game has launched day one on Game Pass. Redfall will be our first example to see what effect it will have, and I'm sure it being a co-op game will help it find a bigger audience too.

Yeah I get it but like myself people are busy playing games that have a long Life. Rocket league, siege, cod, GTA, FIFA etc etc. it's not like the old days when you needed a lot of games to launch for next gen at once.
This.

My backlog is massive. I am just now getting around to playing Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, lol. There is no shortage of content to play on either console unless you play games 8 hours a day 7 days a week or more.

YES!

Thread title to jog your memory.

Why don’t Arkane Studios games sell well?​

Say what you will about Madden, COD, Mario Kart and Mario 3D worlds. They are FUN games for their FANS. Yes Madden and CoD are the same game every year, and Mario Kart and Mario 3D worlds are literally 2014 games. but they are selling to FANS 10 years later because they are FUN unlike what CatLady was saying. People dont buy bad games they dont have fun playing. The FANS of Arkhane games simply arent buying them or there arent that many of them. Hence, my suggestion that they at least try and update the production values, have better storytelling and include better graphics.
That's not the question I raised. Do you think sales represent a fair assessment of quality? Bad games can sell well due to a number of reasons. For example, for football fans, madden is the ONLY option. So they will buy whatever shit that's put out. You cannot say they sell because they are fun. It could be true for some people, but fun is not why the games in that list sell. Nor is it quality.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Did you really just compare BOTW and Horizon Zero Dawn? Considering they are exclusives to Nintendo and PlayStation, respectively, they never really were in competition with one another for sales no matter what timeline the games were released.
Do you think the market is mutually exclusive? There is always some overlap.

Even if that's not the case, mindshare is divided. Ask anybody, and they'll confirm that HZD was overshadowed by Zelda. Just like HFW was overshadowed by Elden Ring.
Anyway, while Arkane games aren't chart toppers they still don't sell "poorly" I don't think. source
We are talking 12 million copies sold across all their titles just on Steam. Yes this isn't 20+ million per game like the tops games would sell, but if the same attach rates are applied to consoles those games appeared on, it looks like they are far from losing money.
I don't think they sell poorly at all or lose money. I never said that.

In fact, I said that Arkane doesn't make games at the top-notch AAA scale of RDR 2, TLOU, GoW, etc. and therefore don't sell as much. And that's fine. They incur a relatively modest budget and yield relatively modest sales, which is still profitable.
But yeah, poor marketing and I think perhaps they don't have that AAA appeal that others games might have is likely the culprit behind the low sales numbers. If Arkane a year from now released a game that was the same quality as their previous titles, but it was more CoD style and it was marketed well, it would likely be their best selling game of all-time.
That's why they are making Redfall, which is a stark departure of what they have been doing for years. Let's see how it pans out and whether or not Redfall succeeds. My only concern is that Redfall doesn't look as good as some of the other games releasing around that time frame, e.g., Hogwart's Legacy, Jedi Fallen Order, Zelda, Final Fantasy XVI, etc.

Flutta

Banned
Never liked their games and it seems i’m not alone in that. Not sure why their games just seems so unappealing to me. They look ”old”, weird, junky to me. I even tried their latest Deathloop had to sell it the day after.

Kerotan

This.

My backlog is massive. I am just now getting around to playing Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, lol. There is no shortage of content to play on either console unless you play games 8 hours a day 7 days a week or more.
I mean like even if you do there's still no shortage. Only way it's possible is even you only play single player games.

sainraja

GG, everyone.

mad divorce court GIF
In fairness, he was just addressing the question being asked in the thread. I don't agree with him on sales indicating how fun a game can be. When I discovered Dishonored for the first time, I had a really good time with it and I was just wishing that I should have discovered it sooner. I just didn't know about the series. I didn't look up how much it sold to figure out if I will enjoy it or not so we do need to separate that a bit....but as long as most people understand that, you can have this conversation.

Anyway, I was just noticing how people started to drift away from the topic at hand into something else....so I had to comment. Some people just don't understand that their tastes might be different....that there doesn't have to be something wrong with the game necessarily.

I love Arkane games, I always spend more time than I should just looking at things. I get why they are a niche series, they certainly don't play like typical FPS titles. They control well and movement can get really fast especially once you unlock abilities but you're almost required to slow down quite often and stalk enemies, be it for info regarding quests or to keep the entire area from being alerted to you being there. The environments and area layouts are the stars of Arkane games to me. I swear their artists must be architecture enthusiasts. They don't just put existing shit from our world in their games, they redesign everything right down to simple every day objects. It really gives their games a feeling of having been crafted. The world design is also well thought out. There are almost always multiple ways to enter any room, often areas have dozens of ways to enter. Then you have areas like the mansion that uses time crytals running the game in two seperate time periods, or the clockwork mansion which not only transforms, but allows you to slip into the walls to see how the transformations work, no walls just clipping through each other, the gears, rails, worm screws, etc, are all there working to fold up pieces of the mansion and tuck them away.

Dishonored 1, 2, DotO

WcqahpO.jpg

iFHuiNW.jpg

r4at37I.jpg

mOz3fei.jpg

xvGZyou.jpg

OO8JRNz.jpg

M7whMuy.jpg

YZK2vLb.jpg

Prey

cl3dhZB.jpg

C2QwTm3.jpg

20HooT6.jpg

Deathloop, which is technically part of the Dishonored franchise as it takes place in that world long after the events of DotO.

NMJEL0W.jpg

ANOXwsI.jpg

E2N0rh0.jpg

hZArGwV.jpg

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Immersive Sims are too complex for the average casual gamer.
We can play these games as a normal shooter, but then it's just an average fps.
The player has to explore and experiment with the many game mechanics. That's when these games really shine.
The same for story, as we have to go look for many details.
Contrast to modern videogames, where NPCs will give out the answer to the most basic of puzzles, and will create slow walking sequences to make plot exposition.

sainraja

I also don't understand the point of sharing screenshots taken from fixed systems, where the developer has chosen a certain aesthetic for their game, as if it proves anything. The game looks the way it looks because that is how the developers designed it to look based on the system or systems they were designing for (and their own capabilities). The game can certainly take advantage of the full capabilities of any system it is being put on. You might not like the aesthetic and that is completely fine....I don't see how it is a knock against the game.

Last edited:
Do you think the market is mutually exclusive? There is always some overlap.

Even if that's not the case, mindshare is divided. Ask anybody, and they'll confirm that HZD was overshadowed by Zelda. Just like HFW was overshadowed by Elden Ring.
There is overlap, correct - but generally speaking tentpole exclusives on competing platforms don't really compete for sales.
I don't think they sell poorly at all or lose money. I never said that.

In fact, I said that Arkane doesn't make games at the top-notch AAA scale of RDR 2, TLOU, GoW, etc. and therefore don't sell as much. And that's fine. They incur a relatively modest budget and yield relatively modest sales, which is still profitable.
I didn't say you said that.
That's why they are making Redfall, which is a stark departure of what they have been doing for years. Let's see how it pans out and whether or not Redfall succeeds. My only concern is that Redfall doesn't look as good as some of the other games releasing around that time frame, e.g., Hogwart's Legacy, Jedi Fallen Order, Zelda, Final Fantasy XVI, etc.
Yeah I'm curious about Redfall. It doesn't seem like my style but I give all the big GP games a chance since I'm under no financial obligation to pay before trying.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
I don't think Arkane games will ever sell as much as Gears of War, Elden Ring, GTA and similar. The development budget and marketing budget of Arkane games are much smaller than those from my understanding. The question brought to the table is why don't they sell well (which really, we don't know official sales). Some are saying they don't sell well because "it is universally accepted that they are not fun or graphics suck". But as noted in this thread, many do like the art and many do like their games. And critic scores also show an average that is considered good.

Maybe what they need is a breakout game that can bring them to the likes of Call of Duty or Halo in popularity and size. If their games are at least as "fun" as those, then they are gonna need some serious money backing to push them up the charts. IMO of course.

Immersive Sims are too complex for the average casual gamer.
We can play these games as a normal shooter, but then it's just an average fps.
The player has to explore and experiment with the many game mechanics. That's when these games really shine.
The same for story, as we have to go look for many details.
Contrast to modern videogames, where NPCs will give out the answer to the most basic of puzzles, and will create slow walking sequences to make plot exposition.
You could say the same for anything From puts out, but Elden Ring still sold 12m or something copies.

Arkane is fighting the good fight.

SlimySnake

Do you think sales represent a fair assessment of quality?
Of course not.

Bad games can sell well due to a number of reasons.

Of course they can. But they cant CONTINUE to sell year after year if they continued to be bad year after year.
You cannot say they sell because they are fun
Of course I can.

Again, I was replying to CatLady who dismissed TLOU2, Red Dead, and DS as games that are not fun despite selling well. I think we all agree that they are quality games, but this insinuation that they are not fun and are only selling because they are popular is ridiculous. We are talking about two different things here.

My point with Arkhane not selling game after game going on five games now is that there is a pattern. These are multiplatform games not tied to a single console. Going back to the original Dishonered which actually sold rather well, every game has continued to sell worse. Why? If the fans of their games liked them so much, why are they shrinking? let alone growing?

Go back and read my original post. Notice how I did not bring up the combat, level design or gameplay in my list of things wrong with it other than boss fights. I can see the potential in these games and IMO, increasing the graphical fidelity, improving cutscene production values and storytelling will help them get more exposure and who knows make immersive sims popular with fans of TLOU2, Red Dead and COD. Basically the mainstream casual.

winjer

Gold Member
I puke in my mouth a bit when i read people playing immersive sims as a pure fps.

On one of my playthroughs of Prey, I just picked the shotgun, full upgrades and killed everything. Even the Nightmares were just cannon fodder for my lust for blood.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

stn

What are the sales numbers thus far? Either way, good games don't sell sometimes. It happens.

EDIT: Also, crappy games can sell really well. Also happens.

Last edited:

Holammer

The creators are hoity-toity artsy French posers.
A grossly simplified explanation, but I can't watch even minutes of Redfall gameplay without suffering organ failure levels of cringe.

GymWolf

On one of my playthroughs of Prey, I just picked the shotgun, full upgrades and killed everything. Even the Nightmares were just cannon fodder for my lust for blood.

Embarrassed Shame GIF
Prey gunplay aways felt like shit and the enemies were uninteresting except the small mimics, that would be the last game to play full action.

Dishonored always felt much better for a psycho run, gore and ragdoll were pretty satysfying to play with.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Because they're just not good. Sorry, but average games result in average sales. If they're games were good they'd sell more.

Simple as that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If this was true then games like Titanfall 2 would have sold gangbusters. Sometimes there are external factors that lead to poor sales, be it poor marketing, releasing between the 2 biggest FPS titles of the year, etc.
PGJq.gif

I never bought the narrative that games fail due to external factors. That always struck me as super fans running excuses because they don't want to think critically about their favorite games problems.

These games are fizzling due to fundamental design issues.

winjer

Gold Member
Prey gunplay aways felt like shit and the enemies were uninteresting except the small mimics, that would be the last game to play full action.

True, the game became repetitive just going all guns running.
Using the glue gun and the toy gun to solve puzzles was a lot more fun to do.

Dishonored always felt much better for a psycho run, gore and ragdoll were pretty satysfying to play with.

Never did a full gun run with Dishonored. Mostly stealth with some killings here and there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Aren't Dishonored games at its heart stealthy SP games? Never played them, so maybe you can just rambo through them too, but I dont think modern gamers care about this kind of genre.

The best selling and most played games are typically:

- Big open world games
- Tons of replay value and competitive play (sports and shooters)
- Some kind of addictive element to it (Diablo loot)
- High quality games (not everyone may agree, but the games are typically decent)
- Often familiar territory as Slimysnake said. In modern day, it'll take a lot of marketing and convincing to get gamers to try new stuff. Gamers dont want to be burned buying a new shit IP

Last edited:

GymWolf

True, the game became repetitive just going all guns running.
Using the glue gun and the toy gun to solve puzzles was a lot more fun to do.

Never did a full gun run with Dishonored. Mostly stealth with some killings here and there.
Never did myself, but killing stuff in dish was just more satysfying that shooting aliens in prey so i indulged in some stealth killing spree in dish more than i did in prey.

ungalo

Kind of, yes. Better games end up selling more. Now, those games could be better in terms of visuals or gameplay or star power, IP power, or anything. And because it's an open market, people (with limited resources) end up choosing the game they prefer playing more.
What is being "better in terms of IP power" ? You confuse the fact a game is more appealing as you said for whatever reason, and the actual quality, whether you consider it as a product or as an artistic form of some sort, whether you claim to talk objectively or subjectively.

I mean even as a functional product you got counter-example like Cyberpunk, that was completely broken at launch (so much it was causing legal problems for distributors) and still sold because of the marketing campaign and aura surrounding the game.

If we go in further depth and we start examining what people actually say about the games that sold well your statement will not hold. The most critically acclaimed games are not always the one who sell more, and the opposite statements is also true. The fact you got games that match your point doesn't validate it.

Good games find a way to sell -- regardless of their genre and/or casualness
It's relative. Most games sell, they just don't reach what the publisher expected. More than a million of players played Prey, talked about it, made Youtube video like 3 years after launch to say how it was good. That's not nothing, but in the end the game still failed. Good games find a way to have a little place, to be remembered by a certain audience and that's it. I don't know why you're trying to make players look like some sort of homo economicus when we're talking about video games. I'm not saying a game do not need qualities to succeed, it's just too simplistic. In this open market those are not just games that compete it's entire genres that disappear because they're not sustainable, this doesn't have anything to do with rational thinking or anything, just how masses shape the gaming landscape in completely chaotic ways.

Last edited:

geary

Because they arent as good? The graphics, production values, stories, boss fights, pacing, and well, everything that makes an AAA game AAA is lacking in these low budget indie games being passed off as AAA games.

Everyone sees them for what they are. Sony tried to shove it down our throats conference after conference, and it didnt even land in the top 20 on NPD. People knew that it was not the same Sony first party exclusive they love. Ones with great cinematic flare, combat, and level design.

If Arkhane wants their games to sell then they can start by not making their games look worse than last gen games. Redfall has no business looking that bad. Especially when Bethesda of all people have finally made a significant leap to improve their graphics.
And the second Bad Take of the Year goes to...

Top Bottom