• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't console games have more graphics options?

sunnysideup

Banned
I don't know how I missed this the first time reading through the topic, but this is easily one of the dumbest things I've ever read on these forums, and you should be ashamed.

Actually its not. Its the more options crowd that simply has zero understanding of anything.

Some additional options could be interesting. For example, The Medium, "better resolution" (PS5) or "some better presets" (Xbox Series X)?

But in general, consoles are mostly for casual gamers that do not care about any technical details.

Imagine someone buying a game for PS5 or Xbox and accidentally putting all the graphical settings on ultra, resulting in a 15~20 fps average. Possibly will call the shop "this game is broken". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Brofist

Actually its not. Its the more options crowd that simply has zero understanding of anything.
I've already said earlier in this topic that I don't believe console games need more options than a couple presets.

These days when you boot up a PC game it will mostly match setting automatically to your hardware. Then when you go into the graphics settings they give a handful of presets to choose from, low, medium, high, ultra etc... So you can leave it set as is, or choose a simple preset.

You have to go out of you way in most games now to click on advanced options and then you can fine tune things. For people that aren't interested it's not even visible. But there's absolutely no reason to take graphics settings out of PC gaming.

octiny

Banned
That's the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

Console have been the superior gaming experience for a long-time specifically (amongst other aspect), because you don't have or need "options" since you're getting the best, most optimised version of the game possible on the specific console (unless it's CP2077) thanks to it being standard. It's playable in it's best state out of the box (or download).

In fact that's a huge step-back that PS4/PS5 have different options which is a testimony of how much unoptimised compromised their games have to target, which is an indicator that you're not playing the best version of the game in any cases.

If anything, it's PC that should have less options, in fact that's exactly what the best PC games or ports have, the better optimised and smooth they are, the least options they have because devs did their work. I've often said how the fact that CP2077 has so many options on PC is a testimony at how much of a crap mess it is.

tygertrip

As a console player, I want 60fps. That's it. I don't want to deal with parameters that will affect performance and have me wondering "what the fuck has changed now that I have set the shadow to Not-So-Ultra setting ?".

Give me 60fps. If it has to be an option, give me the option. And that's it. I don't want to have other parameters. That's why I play on consoles.

People who want better fine tuning should move to PC.
Wimp. 😉

tygertrip

you don't know what you are missing out on playing on 1080p monitor. probably 24" too...
4k, oled, huge screen, amazing hdr colors with local dimming. It's like 2 next gens above that 1080p.

I mean, it is perfectly fine but I can't even watch 1080p sdr movies anymore...
I have an 82” 4k HDR Samsung. A couple of games I run at 1080, for 120 fps. 1440 is much better. I find the difference between 1440 and 4K, in motion, to be negligible. Still shots, sure I notice the difference. But get over yourself thinking someone “doesn’t know what they are missing”. People have different preferences. Btw, do you spend hours tweaking your tv settings? 😂😂😂

tygertrip

it's not only about being complicated.
You need a lot of other factors in order to change settings like fps counter and gpu/cpu utilization.
And why should there be an options if the hardware is fixed? Why take that comfort away from the developers?
I bet games that strain the hardware like tlou2, could not look this good if some stuff had to be dynamic in order to be adjusted. There would have to be some limitations probably.
The 1 setting that we need is global fps cap off in console system. Just so these performance modes can go as high as vrr will allow. Quality mode should be dev adjusted
Funny you mention TLOU2 as an example. That may be THE most customizable console game EVER, by far. It blows away MANY PC games, in terms of options. Damn. LMAO!

Last edited:

tygertrip

Fair enough, I haven’t tried such a big screen. If I sit in front of my living room table, about 1.5 meter from the 65” TV I can start spotting small differences between 4K and 1080p on console. The only difference I see from back on the couch is when the logo in the corner of the TV say 4K or 1080p 😅
He’s exaggerating, dude. I have an 82”, and give me 1440@120 over 4K@30 or even 60 anyway. 1080 is a little bit blurry, but worth it if you can’t get 120 @ 1080. different people value different tradeoffs

Last edited:

tygertrip

This is the dumbest fucking comment I've ever seen on any forum, full stop. I'm not saying this forum, I'm saying all of them.

Really, just sit and think about how fucking dumb that is.
It’s pretty dumb, but you must have never been on Reddit before. Compared to the average redditor, this dude is a genius.

cireza

Banned
764v.gif

Top Bottom