• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't more game companies go private?

Laptop1991

No, risks. Your response implies that being independent is so easy and that only reason more studios arent independent is because they're greedy, which is dead wrong.no
No i didn't, i never said anything of the sort, your now making my comments up, im saying the industry is too US corporate now, you did just hear what that ex EA ceo just came out with and then gave a bs apology, and stop being a hypocrite i quoted your own words back to you, it wasn't always this way and its still greed, or maybe you should just have an argument with yourself.

MrA

Banned
No i didn't, i never said anything of the sort, your now making my comments up, im saying the industry is too US corporate now, you did just hear what that ex EA ceo just came out with and then gave a bs apology, and stop being a hypocrite i quoted your own words back to you, it wasn't always this way and its still greed, or maybe you should just have an argument with yourself.
You did not say that, you said the only reason is greed and profit,
There are mountains of good reasons to go public/be acquired just as there are mountains of reasons for independence
Public provides reduced risk, greater visibility, large infusions of capital,, it also adds transparency and responsibility to deliver, potentially accessing other tech human capital and other resources if acquired
Private gives freedom but with greater risks
Its also worth mentioning most games are from private small development, 5 seconds on steam appstore Google play, eshop or psn will show that and most are trash

Poplin

Companies go public to raise capital, its an effective way to raise money whithout incurring debt. Going private requires the company essentially buy back all the shares, and few companies would a) have the cash reserves, and b) see more value in buying back the shares than investing that cash into new games and the core business.

Just extremely hard to go private once you go public, i expect instead to see fewer new companies in a rush to IPO.

Laptop1991

You did not say that, you said the only reason is greed and profit,
There are mountains of good reasons to go public/be acquired just as there are mountains of reasons for independence
Public provides reduced risk, greater visibility, large infusions of capital,, it also adds transparency and responsibility to deliver, potentially accessing other tech human capital and other resources if acquired
Private gives freedom but with greater risks
Its also worth mentioning most games are from private small development, 5 seconds on steam appstore Google play, eshop or psn will show that and most are trash
Well thats my opinion about the state of the industry, anything to make it better i would support, and it is greed and profit, if more money being made, made the industry better then why since gta online in 2013 and all the mtx isnt it wonderful with no complaints or governments trying to crack down on lootboxes and predatory practices, i never mentioned independent studios, you sound like a shareholder, im just a gamer and i agree bigger companies should make better products. Public or private i dont care, i just want better games.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Well thats my opinion about the state of the industry, anything to make it better i would support, and it is greed and profit, if more money being made the industry better then why since gta online in 2013 and all the mtx isnt it wonderful with no complaints or governments trying to crack down on lootboxes and predatory practices, i never mentioned independent studios, you sound like a shareholder, im just a gamer and i agree bigger companies should make better products. Public or private i dont care, i just want better games.
Want better games, what a deep statement, hate to break it to you most people are damn happy with how games are and what you want isn't what they do. You want games more to your taste, check whats be crowd funded but understand there's a risk, or invest your money or scariest of all start your own studio take on the risk, create a business plan, sell the plan get a loan , build a team and be ready to risk it all
Or whine on forums

Laptop1991

Want better games, what a deep statement, hate to break it to you most people are damn happy with how games are and what you want isn't what they do. You want games more to your taste, check whats be crowd funded but understand there's a risk, or invest your money or scariest of all start your own studio take on the risk, create a business plan, sell the plan get a loan , build a team and be ready to risk it all
Or whine on forums
Are you the same poster, im not interested in your nonesense, i dont care, your full of waffle

Last edited:

D-ray

Not an expert in this, but probably because the mainstream industry has certain standards that can't be achieved with the only sheer will power of small indie companies or something. Like good graphics, ad campaigns, promotions etc...
So, in order to have a certain outcome, they end up partying with someone else who will do the "hard" part for them.

Valve, for instance, doesn't need to. They f*cking billionaires, and have the reputation of making revolutionary products. So they are pretty much their own investors.

The Stig

Yeah it’s a good question.

Guys like this will be the death of good games. At least there will always be indies and retro gaming.
i saw this coming when the new take 2 president a few years ago was upset that so many people were playing gta online years after launch "for free". Despite the game costing $60

Rat Rage

IMHO more high quality developers should do it. Talent and passion will always prevail. If you are private, it just needs longer, because you have to slowly move your way up (and save your money), but that's not a bad thing. I mean, money is not everything, fuck it. As a developer, you should be creatively as free as possible and ultimately proud of your creations. Shouldn't that be the most satisfying goal you as crative human being should strive for?

So my advice to all talented developers out there. FREE YOURSELVES. Join smaller companies or start your own. Free youselves from all the soulless publishers and business suit fucks out there, who don't give a single shit about video games and only care about money and trends.

Smaller teams, passion and love, that's what this industry needs more of. Maybe then some of the former Golden Age of Gaming glory will have a chance to come back.

PhaseJump

Banned
There are startups all over that show up to burn their time and money, fail, and shut down by going broke. Costs to be competitive in gaming are high and a huge risk. Private or public, games take a long time to make and are primarily built as products to sell to children or generally immature adults. All it takes is one slightly bad or disappointing game to trigger the "Reee!" people, or the GameFAQs weeaboo power fantasy type reviewers who run the gauntlet between 0/10 or 10/10 word salads every day; Then the result is a pile on, you get bad sales and ROI, demoralization due to the howling backlash.

Gaming is a volatile, shitty gamble to put your money into or be involved with. Going private doesn't guarantee success or greatness in the product. Shareholders don't fuck over games by doing nothing as implied here. This thread is predicated on a stupid assessment of financial risk. Private companies need heavy investment to get off the ground and operate without earning anything for years.

1260585284155.png

MrA

Banned
There are startups all over that show up to burn their time and money, fail, and shut down by going broke. Costs to be competitive in gaming are high and a huge risk. Private or public, games take a long time to make and are primarily built as products to sell to children or generally immature adults. All it takes is one slightly bad or disappointing game to trigger the "Reee!" people, or the GameFAQs weeaboo power fantasy type reviewers who run the gauntlet between 0/10 or 10/10 word salads every day; Then the result is a pile on, you get bad sales and ROI, demoralization due to the howling backlash.

Gaming is a volatile, shitty gamble to put your money into or be involved with. Going private doesn't guarantee success or greatness in the product. Shareholders don't fuck over games by doing nothing as implied here. This thread is predicated on a stupid assessment of financial risk. Private companies need heavy investment to get off the ground and operate without earning anything for years.

1260585284155.png
Shhhhh no econ101 responsibility is scary

Top Bottom