• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't people who hate 30fps get a PC already

Alebrije

I prefer consoles because I can play a Game on a 85" screen while eating Doritos on My couch. No matter if the Game runs at 30 fps.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Because its 2022 and 60FPS on a console should be a standard. And not everyone wants to buy a PC. I think folks should join the wave, but I don't begrudge them for not wanting to.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Because I'm not made of money and can't justify throwing out over £2k just for higher frame rates.

JLB

Banned
This is categorically false, especially for shooting games. Trying to aim competently with a controller in an FPS/TPS is like cutting off your hand, duct taping a gun to your bleeding nub, and wondering why the hell you can't shoot.

...or did I just feed the troll?

for a game like fifa or madden a controller is objectively better than kbm as well.

I did that sort of. I wasn’t impressed with this new generation of console hardware and was able to get a 3070ti at regular retail cost using a Twitter bot. Been loving it. And with more console games coming to PC, I have zero need or want for a console. I have actually reached a point where I think buying a console is a poor use of money.

spons

Gold Member
Because Windows sucks, there's a lack of proper 10-foot interfaces and good hardware is expensive as fuck. PC operating systems are loaded with annoyances.
I hate 30 FPS generally speaking, but PC gaming just isn't for me.

Kimahri

Banned
Digital Foundry should just hire you instead of making all these video with 8x zoom trying to tell reconstruction from native 4K or counting pixels to find out the resolution.

Also, if 1080p is blurry to you maybe you are the one that needs to check your eyes. I play both on a 4K TV and on a 1080p monitor. I couldn't give less of a shit about 4K, I'll take the better performance of rendering in 1080p any day when playing on PC.
If you read what I wrote instead of what you wish I wrote you'd see I mentioned upscaling.

I'm not arguing against that at all. Good utpressing equals 4k in my book.

My point, that you missed in spectacular fashion as you were busy typing while frothing at the mount, is that it's very easy to notice the difference between 4k and especially 1080p. If you have a big TV, like I do, it's night and day

b0uncyfr0

I shouldnt have to get a PC to avoid a 10 year old standard - your logic is flawed OP. Current consoles are more than capable of getting to 60 fps in most games. Sure, it might not be full flat 4K but thats's not a necessity anymore. We have DRS and FSR.

Dev's just need to use them properly and not be lazy. Id wager any modern game running 1620p (upscaled to 4K) at 60 fps will fool most '4k' players.

One thing we can all agree on

GwFeSxF.png
No PC gamer I've ever seen looked like the type to lift OR ever wash their hands.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
There are people that hate 30fps that don't avoid consoles at maximum possible?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah true.
I dont give a shit myself.
30 is perfectly fine if it's not demons souls remake 30fps mode laggy

Chronicle

I have a great console the ps5. I generally buy good to high end stuff. What's the price of a good to high end gaming rig? I like to invest in products.

jorgejjvr

Literally every game that has come to current gen (cross Gen or not) has had a 60/40/120fps mode so far

I'll say things are looking good

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have a great console the ps5. I generally buy good to high end stuff. What's the price of a good to high end gaming rig? I like to invest in products.
Mine costed 1700€. It has a 5800X, 3070, 16GB RAM and an NVMe SSD.

Was lucky enough to get everything at MSRP, and made the order on the December the 18th of 2020.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That's really something I'd like to have but that's exactly why I don't own a gaming pc..... Sadly.
Yeah it's a big invesment, I thought about it a lot before pulling the trigger.

The thing is, once you have it you start saving a lot on games since they are usually (based on my experience) much cheaper than their console counterparts.
You also don't need any kind of subscription to play online, which is another way of saving money down the line.

I hope that one day you see your dream of having a cool PC for gaming. I started playing on PC when I was 12 or so, and haven't been able to build my own little beast until 30 years old. But hey the wait was worth it.

ZoukGalaxy

Fixed.

Like most minority from our era, they are vocal, too much talk for nothing, and most people wanting 30+ fps are already on PC or have both (consoles & PC).

Also, 30fps well implemented is perfectly fine. Another boring "drama" from our time.

Last edited:

radewagon

Bloodborne is one of the finest and hardest experiences I have ever had the pleasure of playing through. It requires careful timing and quick reflexes. Not once did I ever think to myself, "hey, I just can't get into this phenomenal title because of the stuttering 30 frames." I never thought to myself, "that death was a result of sub-60 fps with poor frame pacing." Quite the contrary. While playing, I completely tuned out the weird locked-30 stuttering framerate because, at the end of the day, most framerate complaints are not justified. Like, at all.

30 frames is fine. IT'S FINE. If it wasn't, Bloodborne wouldn't be sittin' at 92 on metacritic. If all the complainers' hyperbole was valid, Bloodborne would be relegated to the bargain bin. And the Switch, hell, the Switch would be selling like the WiiU. I swear, every time people talk about the best games ever, gaffers trip over themselves gushing over the greatness of Breath of the Wild because no one actually gives a s*** about the "60fps or nothing" hardline stance.

Hell, Zelda 64 hit like 20fps.

I get that some may like 60 more. I get that. You are free to have a preference. But, BUT, let's not pretend that anything lower is "unplayable." That argument's embarrassing.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
1. Console is cheaper , less than 600 dollar for a whole console, with good visuals and 30-60 fps, thats sufficient for me?
2. You actually play games on a console instead of looking at FPS numbers and not pulling your hair out when FPS drops to certain number on a PC
3. PC gaming has more cheating and hackers, and some has worse DRM implemented.
4. PC parts tend to break often (mine 2 gpu and 1 ram died between 3 gaming PC i own long time ago)
5. PC technically is far more complicated , install this driver, install that driver, troubleshooting headahce...(if you encounted some PC issue and people online unable to assist you, good luck "investigating")

and to answer OP question, alot of people who game on console can adjust to 30 fps (although I believe most prefer 60fps now), this is one of the good thing when you game on a console, we actually have low standards here, we are easily pleased.

Last edited:

MikeM

I can't help but wonder if the people who claim you can't see 4k have never played on a big screen.

So, yo, some of us, we don't sit on front of a 20 something inches monitor. Wr sit in front of a 70 inch screen, and yes, 4k is very easily noticed. 1080p is blurry, and 1440 is serviceable.

There are good upscaling tech of course, and there are always trade offs and stuff to do to bring the overall best result.

But come on, if you can't see 4k you just need to get with the times and get a bigger screen.
I can see it, but I always chose higher frames when available.

Wonderlands is an example: 4k60 or 1080p120. I play at 1080p120 on a 65” LG C1.

I love choice- everyone is happy.

TintoConCasera

I can see it, but I always chose higher frames when available.

Wonderlands is an example: 4k60 or 1080p120. I play at 1080p120 on a 65” LG C1.

I love choice- everyone is happy.
Yep, it's cool being able to choose.

For me, when it comes to First Person Shooters, I prefer 1440p + whatever framerate (60 or above). While I appreciate the increase in frame rate, I still prefer the increase on image clarity.
Can't do headshots if I can't see the heads!

Fahdis

I have a modest gaming pc that's more powerfull than the current gen consoles but still I buy all my games on PS5.
For several reasons: I prefer gaming on my couch and on my OLED tv. My speaker set is also connected to my tv. And although I grew up as a PC gamer I now prefer gaming with a controller.
I also don't want to mess with settings in games anymore (finding out the best setting for your hardware) and all the driver related issues you can have.

I guess I like the convenience of console gaming over pc. The only games I play on pc are flight sim and DCS.

Who wants to tell him about? I'm almost afraid to...

manfestival

I keep seeing these threads about people saying how "30fps is awful and 60 is so much better" and I have to say... Why not get a PC?!?! What in the fuck's stopping you from getting a computer?? The true fact is that 60 will become less and less feasible as Cross gen dies off in 2023-2024. If you want the high framerates, you should never have bought a console. 60fps will only last for cross gen. I agree that 30 is unplayable but many people on this forum who only care about graphics don't give a shit.

If anything should be reduced, it's resolution. 4k is impractical and power hungry and brings back framerate/graphics too much for a resolution that most people can't even properly notice the difference of. 1080/1440p with reconstruction techniques like FSR and DLSS are the future- games would look EVEN BETTER in quality modes, performance will be better overall, and most people wouldn't even notice the difference thanks to how good FSR and DLSS have gotten. Native 4k can work in really old 1990s/early 2000s games, but with how games look these days it's too much of a hinderance towards performance and visuals. A game with all the detail and less resolution will look better than a game with not much detail and more resolution.
Hey I have an idea. Buy my 4k 120fps max graphics computer for me.

JimboJones

I did and haven't looked back, PC isn't perfect but sometimes sometimes the "developers vision" with regards to graphics settings , technical issues or controller schemes is just plain bad so I like being able to fix their stupid decisions to my liking.

Jormatar

This thread belongs to 2014. Other than Bloodborne, I don't think I have played a 30fps game since I got my PS5.

Top Bottom