• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't people who hate 30fps get a PC already

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I keep seeing these threads about people saying how "30fps is awful and 60 is so much better" and I have to say... Why not get a PC?!?! What in the fuck's stopping you from getting a computer?? The true fact is that 60 will become less and less feasible as Cross gen dies off in 2023-2024. If you want the high framerates, you should never have bought a console. 60fps will only last for cross gen. I agree that 30 is unplayable but many people on this forum who only care about graphics don't give a shit.

If anything should be reduced, it's resolution. 4k is impractical and power hungry and brings back framerate/graphics too much for a resolution that most people can't even properly notice the difference of. 1080/1440p with reconstruction techniques like FSR and DLSS are the future- games would look EVEN BETTER in quality modes, performance will be better overall, and most people wouldn't even notice the difference thanks to how good FSR and DLSS have gotten. Native 4k can work in really old 1990s/early 2000s games, but with how games look these days it's too much of a hinderance towards performance and visuals. A game with all the detail and less resolution will look better than a game with not much detail and more resolution.

Last edited:
I keep seeing these threads about people saying how "30fps is awful and 60 is so much better" and I have to say... Why not get a PC?!?! What in the fuck's stopping you from getting a computer?? The true fact is that 60 will become less and less feasible as Cross gen dies off in 2023-2024. If you want the high framerates, you should never have bought a console. 60fps will only last for cross gen. I agree that 30 is unplayable but many people on this sub who only care about graphics don't give a shit.

If anything should be reduced, it's resolution. 4k is impractical and power hungry and brings back framerate/graphics too much for a resolution that most people can't even properly notice the difference of. 1080/1440p with reconstruction techniques like FSR and DLSS are the future- games would look EVEN BETTER in quality modes, performance will be better overall, and most people wouldn't even notice the difference thanks to how good FSR and DLSS have gotten. Native 4k can work in really old 1990s/early 2000s games, but with how games look these days it's too much of a hinderance towards performance and visuals. A game with all the detail and less resolution will look better than a game with not much detail and more resolution.
Usually the issue is $$$$ to run at 60 or above at same good looking settings as the Series X or a PS5. Both consoles are equal to a 2080 RTX or so. That alone already costs more money than the console itself lol. Learn to math pls and don't compare apples to oranges.

clarky

Gold Member
Oh I am. Just waiting for the next batch of GPUs.

In saying that, if the consoles have the power to output 60/120 well, why not provide the option? Why be limited? Consumers should demand choice.
Id just get a 30 series card, theres nothing on the market right now that even makes these cards sweat, barring a few outliers.

Plus you're like to need a small nuclear reactor to power the 40xx.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Usually the issue is $$$$ to run at 60 or above at same good looking settings as the Series X or a PS5. Both consoles are equal to a 2080 RTX or so. That alone already costs more money than the console itself lol. Learn to math pls and don't compare apples to oranges.
True, but these people act like 30fps raped their wife and killed their pet bunny. It's clear it bothers them more than it usually does for a lot of people. Not to mention that even without the power of the consoles, you have more options on how to get better performance and framerate in more games. It's easier to get 60 on PC as opposed to console since you've got more options.

Why don't people who like 30 FPS don't get a PC already? You can set the resolution to native 4K and cap all your games to 30fps.

How much more impressive a 30fps game need to look to justify sacrificing half it's framerate? Even ND was trying to make the jump to 60fps on the PS4 and they work with pretty much the highest possible production values and presentation. The most impressive games so far were all at their best in 60fps modes.

Last edited:

MikeM

Id just get a 30 series card, theres nothing on the market right now that even makes these cards sweat, barring a few outliers.

Plus you're like to need a small nuclear reactor to power the 40xx.
At this point, i’m going to wait. Its just around the corner.

Looking at RDNA3 if Nvidia’s options are too power hungry.

True, but these people act like 30fps raped their wife and killed their pet bunny. It's clear it bothers them more than it usually does for a lot of people. Not to mention that even without the power of the consoles, you have more options on how to get better performance and framerate in more games. It's easier to get 60 on PC as opposed to console since you've got more options.

That's their problem. Let them cry and let them to continue being ignorant and dumb. Usually stems from insecurities of not being able to afford something and jealousy. So they look for ways to cope and make themselves feel better.

Last edited:
I have a modest gaming pc that's more powerfull than the current gen consoles but still I buy all my games on PS5.
For several reasons: I prefer gaming on my couch and on my OLED tv. My speaker set is also connected to my tv. And although I grew up as a PC gamer I now prefer gaming with a controller.
I also don't want to mess with settings in games anymore (finding out the best setting for your hardware) and all the driver related issues you can have.

I guess I like the convenience of console gaming over pc. The only games I play on pc are flight sim and DCS.

Reactions: Isa

Reizo Ryuu

What in the fuck's stopping you from getting a computer??
i need money GIF

Jaybe

If only developers offered various modes that one could choose? 🤷‍♂️
In seriousness and knowing this is a counter-thread, if your assertion is that people buying a console this gen after the last two gens of mostly 30fps games are expecting anything different than mostly 30fps games then they have misplaced expectations and played themselves … then I certainly agree.

HTK

Banned
Despite having a powerful PC I still play single player games on my PS5/OLED. PC is reserved for competitive and online games.

Nothing wrong with people demanding 60fps on consoles, it’s feasible now. I wish Sony and Microsoft would have led the charge with 1440p instead of 4k but whatever.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I do, even though I prefer controller, couch and TV screen, I know consoles are more convenient and cheaper but whenever I play at 30 and see how choppy it looks compared to 60, I cancel or delay indefinitely my plans to get any console outside my Switch, and if not for Zelda and Xenoblade being so good I'd probably skip those games on the console, currently playing Dark Souls on it and can't stop comparing how much better PC version looks due only to 60 fps... Didn't get it on PC due to being very short on budget and wanting to play it asap, but I'll definitely get any other Souls game there, can't stand 30fps anymore unless there's no choice and I care enough about those games...

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
if your assertion is that people buying a console this gen after the last two gens of mostly 30fps games are expecting anything different than mostly 30fps games then they have misplaced expectations and played themselves … then I certainly agree.
lol that's literally it. I don't get the whining and complaining when this is literally what they signed up for when they bought the system

GymWolf

Don't you know? You have to play with the settings for 4 hours before even starting a pixelated indie game on pc.

And don't even let me start talking about upgrading the gpu drivers, i had less problems studying to pilot a spaceship.

Also, i already pass 32 hours a day in front of a monitor, imagine sitting another 4 hours in front of a tiny monitor with m+k.

Make me want to puke.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
For me personally I got used it as this is why I mostly play on consoles but when PS5 released (I’ve skipped PS4 Pro) It now extremely noticeable now as most PS5 games are 60fps or have the option for that but when that one game doesn’t offer that you can see it. But it is okay I just finish that one game and continue playing 60fps games after. I don’t need a PC for that.

• Comfy couch
  • controller > keyboard
  • No good games
  • Too expensive
  • Always breaking
  • Knack
- Keyboard and controller is subjective.
- My computer chair is better for my posture than a couch.
- No good games? SureJan.jpg
- Too expensive? That’s a you problem.
- Always breaking? Things you shouldn’t put your dick in.
- Knack? You got me there pal!!

In all seriousness. If you want 60+ fps for all games, PC is the only way you can guarantee that.

daveonezero

Banned
Then they wouldn't be able to complain.

You have to realize all complaints about this hobby are made up and selected. No one really has to do or play anything.

Nintendo is low powered and for kids
PC is expensive
Consoles not performing well.

These are all choices someone makes to go out and complain about.

teezzy

Banned
You act like every game is available on PC. A lot of us have both a PC and multiple consoles.

I've got a PC and a Series X, and I'm drowning in things to play. Feel very little desire to dip my toe in Nintendo or Sony waters. Nothing against them, there's just too much on my plate already.

Never understood why some people wanna play everything. Don't they have jobs and things to do outside of gaming?

Last edited:

Banned
If only developers offered various modes that one could choose? 🤷‍♂️
In seriousness and knowing this is a counter-thread, if your assertion is that people buying a console this gen after the last two gens of mostly 30fps games are expecting anything different than mostly 30fps games then they have misplaced expectations and played themselves … then I certainly agree.

uhm, basically 99% of games on current consoles run at 60fps tho

Because the ones that are always bitching are the ones that feel entitled to have 60fps lol
If they want to lobby for 60fps let them, it's their preference.

I just want the most impressive game possible, if a dev can only do something at 30fps so be it but I'm yet to see something that justified that this gen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I keep seeing these threads about people saying how "30fps is awful and 60 is so much better" and I have to say... Why not get a PC?!?! What in the fuck's stopping you from getting a computer?? The true fact is that 60 will become less and less feasible as Cross gen dies off in 2023-2024. If you want the high framerates, you should never have bought a console. 60fps will only last for cross gen. I agree that 30 is unplayable but many people on this sub who only care about graphics don't give a shit.

Oh I fucking HATE this level of arrogance and entitlement. PC jackasses think the world revolves around them.

OK, here is why people don't just "get a PC"
1. They're considerably more expensive than most. As of today a competent PC costs around $1000 to build. That is considerably more expensive than a $500 console OR a $300 XSS.
2. They're intimidating. Its easy for PC jackasses who have years of experience to run games effectively who know what they're doing, but someone who is a novice its not so clear cut and dry
3. People don't want to deal with things like driver updates/maintenance.
4. You know that when you put in a disc and/or download a game it will work and be playable (Cyberpunk on last gen is a rare exception). That reason alone drives people to consoles.
5. Troubleshooting is a PAIN in the ass. A PC is Great when it runs and works, but the second you get crashes, blue screens it can become a nightmare real quick and most solutions require more than just googling.

Realize the world doesn't revolve around you. A PC isn't very difficult to use, but there is a learning curve.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
  • Comfy couch
  • controller > keyboard
  • No good games
  • Too expensive
  • Always breaking
  • Knack

I am a PC gamer. I play on my 65" TV from my comfy recliner. I use an Xbox Series X controller. I have a TON of great games to play. My PC is definitely not always breaking. In fact, other than needing to replace my AIO cooler for my CPU I haven't had anything break in the last 5 years. But the expense and console-exclusive games are legitimate reasons to stick with consoles.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Imagine defending 30 fps lmao. Lets eat food from the garbage while were at it...
i'm not defending it, it's fucking terrible. But there is a solution that's existed for a while now and they're gleefully ignoring it while ranting on about how underpowered consoles are that they can't even push 4k60 (which is fucking difficult for most PCs as is)

teezzy

Banned
Oh I fucking HATE this level of arrogance and entitlement. PC jackasses think the world revolves around them.

OK, here is why people don't just "get a PC"
1. They're considerably more expensive than most. As of today a competent PC costs around $1000 to build. That is considerably more expensive than a $500 console OR a $300 XSS.
2. They're intimidating. Its easy for PC jackasses who have years of experience to run games effectively who know what they're doing, but someone who is a novice its not so clear cut and dry
3. People don't want to deal with things like driver updates/maintenance.
4. You know that when you put in a disc and/or download a game it will work and be playable (Cyberpunk on last gen is a rare exception). That reason alone drives people to consoles.
5. Troubleshooting is a PAIN in the ass. A PC is Great when it runs and works, but the second you get crashes, blue screens it can become a nightmare real quick and most solutions require more than just googling.

Realize the world doesn't revolve around you. A PC isn't very difficult to use, but there is a learning curve.

Lmao you have no clue what you're talking about

Apart from components costing more than they should because of modern supply chain issues, every single argument here is off base

Little kids build computers these days. They're like Legos. Games run like a champion with little fuss. It's called Steam.

Get parried

Top Bottom