• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't people who hate 30fps get a PC already

Godot25

Banned
Because I want to play in 60...
...but I don't want to deal with PC shit
I was a PC gamer in my early 20s. But now I have kids and less time to play. And last thing I want to do is troubleshoot things when I have 2 hours to finally play something.

And I mean. Is that so hard for devs to include 60FPS option in every game? I don't think so. And if they can't be bothered to do it, I'm not bothered to play their game. Fair and square.

GymWolf

Honestly, I think anyone who can't afford a PC is a failure of a human beign. Imagine not having enough money to be able to spend 2000 dollaridoos on a few PC parts each year without issue.

Where do you guys work at? Flippin' burgers at McDonalds? I bet your manager is playing some Minecraft (4K, Max settings) on his high-end PC right now while laughing his ass off. Poor guy tho, having to deal with such peasantries each day must be a pain.

That said, I'm a tolerable person. Some of my friends play on consoles and I still talk to them, even if I pity them. Just as a favor, I make sweet sweet love with her girlfriends day after day. After all, only a PC gamer can truly satisfy a woman.
true-thats-right.gif

If i may add something, people without a pc probably have small dicks and inverted nipples.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Because I want to play in 60...
...but I don't want to deal with PC shit
I was a PC gamer in my early 20s. But now I have kids and less time to play. And last thing I want to do is troubleshoot things when I have 2 hours to finally play something.

And I mean. Is that so hard for devs to include 60FPS option in every game? I don't think so. And if they can't be bothered to do it, I'm not bothered to play their game. Fair and square.
Nonsense. If I had less time to play, pc then, because loading times are much shorter. Unless I play only a few PS5 games.
Or maybe actually playing the video games instead of looking at the graphics or settings.
To play mediocre or to play great to excellent gameplays. Our choice now.

Godot25

Banned
Nonsense. If I had less time to play, pc then, because loading times are much shorter. Unless I play only a few PS5 games.
What? You want to tell me that PC loading times are that faster in comparison to PS5/Xbox Series X/S?

Don't be ridiculous.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What? You want to tell me that PC loading times are that faster in comparison to PS5/Xbox Series X/S?

Don't be ridiculous.
??? Which part of "Unless I play only a few PS5 games" you didn't understand? Do you want to compare the number of games in all the pc's library including emulation on a SSD with the number of games on PS5/XSX that take advantage of their SSDs?

Last edited:

mansoor1980

In the near future i am hoping for a 30HZ option in windows for gamers who want max fidelity and dont care about high framerates.
It must must be called "WINDOWS CINEMATIC MODE" and should be available in the desktop display settings.
30fps locked with low-latency plus max settings=true realization of every developers original vision.

Thaedolus

In the near future i am hoping for a 30HZ option in windows for gamers who want max fidelity and dont care about high framerates.
It must must be called "WINDOWS CINEMATIC MODE" and should be available in the desktop display settings.
30fps locked with low-latency plus max settings=true realization of every developers original vision.
You’re a monster

Godot25

Banned
??? Which part of "Unless I play only a few PS5 games" you didn't understand? Do you want to compare the number of games in all the pc's library including emulation on a SSD with the number of games on PS5/XSX that take advantage of their SSDs?
What?
Even if loading times were such a downer (which they are not), I would still choose consoles, since Xbox Series X/S has useful feature called Quick Resume which will get me in the game faster then any PC :p
But whatever. If you think that slightly shorter loading times are worth it for hassle with troubleshooting, tuning the settings to get desirable performance and constantly maintaining your PC, then choose a PC. For me it is just not worth it. I tried it and it was time consuming as hell.

• Comfy couch
  • controller > keyboard
  • No good games
  • Too expensive
  • Always breaking
  • Knack
Get whatchu pay for then.

That being said, mini-ITX builds are Small and can hook up to a tv

You can use a wireless controller either in Bluetooth mode or buy a dongle allowing you to sit on a comfy couch

All new Xbox Games are there

Sony is moving to PC on a more regular basis

It’s as expensive as you want it to be

PCs literally never break and if you build it yourself, you’re in control of the build quality and if you build it right could last a decade.

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-mini-itx-case/

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PS4 GAMES that run on ps5 load as fast as their ports on pc.
And usually native ports ps5 games that aare also on pc like ff7remake or death stranding, have similar loading times on pc and ps5.
G Godot25 argument about saving time has nothing to do with loading times though. He means that he presses the remote and gets into a game with no need to do any pc related settings and I agree. I spent way more time in settings on pc just because these are available and I like to tinker/test. On console, I more focus on a game

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What?
Even if loading times were such a downer (which they are not), I would still choose consoles, since Xbox Series X/S has useful feature called Quick Resume which will get me in the game faster then any PC :p
But whatever. If you think that slightly shorter loading times are worth it for hassle with troubleshooting, tuning the settings to get desirable performance and constantly maintaining your PC, then choose a PC. For me it is just not worth it. I tried it and it was time consuming as hell.
So you started to have less time to play after the launch of PS5/XSX. Because before that you had time to waste in long loading screens. And still have time to waste in loading screens on BC games that don't take advantage of the SSD. Got it.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I spent way more time in settings on pc just because these are available and I like to tinker/test. On console, I more focus on a game

It's a you problem, not a PC problem.

Like with most of your anti-PC "arguments" (crashes, overheating, constant driver updates and similar bullshit)

Settings guarantee that the game is future proof. This week I've started playing Kingdom Come Deliverance. 4 year old game that still can't be properly maxed out on current PC hardware. I've spent like 7 minutes tweaking my settings. 70 FOV, all graphical settings set to very high, max TXAA, HD texture pack, 4K resolution. Looks amazing and runs very well. My playtime according to Steam is already at 40 hours. I think it was worth spending 7 minutes to get the game to look and feel the way I like it.

I hope that with 4080/90 I will be able to run it at ultra at 120FPS. It's such an immersive RPG experience. Shit, I need to post about it in the other thread! :messenger_heart:

SSfox

Cause the best games aren't on PC.

Tho i think hating on 30 fps is dumb, either you like the game or you don't. Any other stuffs is pure BS.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Like with most of your anti-PC "arguments" (crashes, overheating, constant driver updates and similar bullshit)

Settings guarantee that the game is future proof. This week I've started playing Kingdom Come Deliverance. 4 year old game that still can't be properly maxed out on current PC hardware. I've spent like 7 minutes tweaking my settings. 70 FOV, all graphical settings set to very high, max TXAA, HD texture pack, 4K resolution. Looks amazing and runs very well. My playtime according to Steam is already at 40 hours. I think it was worth spending 7 minutes to get the game to look and feel the way I like it.

I hope that with 4080/90 I will be able to run it at ultra at 120FPS. It's such an immersive RPG experience. Shit, I need to post about it in the other thread! :messenger_heart:
Sure, I agree but nevertheless it is what it is.
Having a good pc ensures, you usually have to crank to ultra and are ready to go.
I don't think it's an argument that can be used against consoles though. It's just more settings which you either engage or not... consoles now also get this shitty labeled modes, so you need to watch DF video to see what the modes do

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

7??? Holy. Should be 1 more or less.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I posted my reasoning many times but you people trolled me into this state. You have yourself to blame.
But saying what I think, that pc is now too expensive for to little gains triggered everyone.
And before you judge me, maybe look at your post history here. I might be swearing but it’s just emotional (who cares) but you are acting with malice trying to get me riled up on purpose. I bet you are not such a troll in people faces either.

Yes, I do get easily angry recently but also I think there are reasons for this besides my bad mood. And I blame your actions and huge trolls activity here.

The point of this thread I agree with. I think console haters should just get a pc. That’s doesn’t mean it’s not a bad deal now
I don't know if you remember me but at first I really tough you where just trolling the PC community. Can't remember the thread but it was about if PC games should have settings or not.
And while I disagree with most of your thought about PC gaming, you also make some valid points imo, and we can definitively agree that building a PC is too expensive right now.

Anyway, don't let the real trolls get to your mind it's not worth it. I occasionally come across your posts in other threads and I think you are a valuable member of this community.

x-men goodbye GIF

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
And while I disagree with most of your thought about PC gaming, you also make some valid points imo, and we can definitively agree that building a PC is too expensive right now.

GPU prices are back to msrp again. That was the only thing inflating PC prices.

Everything else is available at decent prices - especially memory.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
GPU prices are back to msrp again. That was the only thing inflating PC prices.

Everything else is available at decent prices - especially memory.
It's not back to normal just yet, but it is far better for sure. But with the rumor that Nvidia may delay the release of the 40X0 series to keep the shortage and price high... I don't really expect to see a 4080 for something like 600/700euros maximum.
I think it is more realistic to expect the 4080 to be 1K at best.

For the memory, it is quite high too imo. For example for my next PC I'm gonna buy some DDR5, probably 2x32go @5600MHz and that thing is costing me 300euros each.
Right now, a high-end PC costs around 4K.

93xfan

Banned
Oh I fucking HATE this level of arrogance and entitlement. PC jackasses think the world revolves around them.

OK, here is why people don't just "get a PC"
1. They're considerably more expensive than most. As of today a competent PC costs around $1000 to build. That is considerably more expensive than a $500 console OR a $300 XSS.
2. They're intimidating. Its easy for PC jackasses who have years of experience to run games effectively who know what they're doing, but someone who is a novice its not so clear cut and dry
3. People don't want to deal with things like driver updates/maintenance.
4. You know that when you put in a disc and/or download a game it will work and be playable (Cyberpunk on last gen is a rare exception). That reason alone drives people to consoles.
5. Troubleshooting is a PAIN in the ass. A PC is Great when it runs and works, but the second you get crashes, blue screens it can become a nightmare real quick and most solutions require more than just googling.

Realize the world doesn't revolve around you. A PC isn't very difficult to use, but there is a learning curve.
You forgot forced to play with k/B elitists in most FPS games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's not back to normal just yet, but it is far better for sure. But with the rumor that Nvidia may delay the release of the 40X0 series to keep the shortage and price high... I don't really expect to see a 4080 for something like 600/700euros maximum.

For the memory, it is quite high too imo. For example for my next PC I'm gonna buy some DDR5, probably 2x32go @5600MHz and that thing is costing me 300euros each.

Well, put it this way; you can get a 3070 for msrp at Best Buy without having to camp out. I’m seeing normal looking deals on Slick Deals. Prices have pretty much settled back down to earth.
As for the 4080, I agree - we’re not going to be seeing $700. Nvidia knows people are going to cough up the asking price. I’d be stunned if we got another great value card in the 40XX series.
Memory is super cheap right now. You’re looking at unnecessary high end DDR5 which isn’t even making an impact on gaming performance right now. You can get DDR4-3200/3600 for a steal right now - and that’s all that’s needed.

For someone just looking build a decent rig, the prices are fine. For someone looking to build ultra high rig, it’s never not going to be expensive.

Edit: I can also see a scenario where all of this GPU glut in the market (thanks miners) kills a lot of demand for new cards. It’ll be interesting to see. I’m also hoping AMD comes to their senses and stops charging Nvidia prices. Bring back the value, and I’m fine with buying Team Red.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I'm looking here in Australia and with a 12 gig 3080 and ddr5 memory, I cannot get the price below $4,000! Add to that windows 10/11, keyboard and mouse and I'm going to be pushing close to $5,000 for a PC that, by years end, will have on shelves an upgraded GPU (4000 series) and Intel CPU! I will wait and see what they look like but when I built my 980 build around 8 years ago, including mouse and keyboard and Windows 8 the cost was around $2,500!

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Well, put it this way; you can get a 3070 for msrp at Best Buy without having to camp out. I’m seeing normal looking deals on Slick Deals. Prices have pretty much settled back down to earth.
As for the 4080, I agree - we’re not going to be seeing $700. Nvidia knows people are going to cough up the asking price. I’d be stunned if we got another great value card in the 40XX series.
Memory is super cheap right now. You’re looking at unnecessary high end DDR5 which isn’t even making an impact on gaming performance right now. You can get DDR4-3200/3600 for a steal right now - and that’s all that’s needed.

For someone just looking build a decent rig, the prices are fine. For someone looking to build ultra high rig, it’s never not going to be expensive.

Edit: I can also see a scenario where all of this GPU glut in the market (thanks miners) kills a lot of demand for new cards. It’ll be interesting to see. I’m also hoping AMD comes to their senses and stops charging Nvidia prices. Bring back the value, and I’m fine with buying Team Red.
If you build a high end PC you go with DDR5. Sure it is not useful right now, but in 3 years? Problem is that the prices have increased for a big majority of components (to different degrees)
The end of the year is gonna be very interesting that's for sure.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I understand. Its like buying a PS5 and then having to buy the largest and fastest size gen4 SSD with 100+ inch 4k tv

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm looking here in Australia and with a 12 gig 3080 and ddr5 memory, I cannot get the price below $4,000! Add to that windows 10/11, keyboard and mouse and I'm going to be pushing close to $5,000 for a PC that, by years end, will have on shelves an upgraded GPU (4000 series) and Intel CPU! I will wait and see what they look like but when I built my 980 build around 8 years ago, including mouse and keyboard and Windows 8 the cost was around $2,500!
Yep.
And people doubt me how could my pc cost over 2k usd in 2019 at msrp.
Parts are expensive. You don’t need the best components but you want somewhat high end. I skimped on free stuff when building mine in 2019.
I didn’t go for nvme 4.0, only 3.0.
no water cooling
Little and simple rgb
3080. Not 3090 but that’s still high end.
16, not 32 gb of ram.
Cheapest x570 board.
I had windows, keyboard, mouse, speakers and headphones. So only replaced later because I like changing this stuff.
3700x… not 3950 etc. I limited myself to 8 cores.

So yeah that pc could be double of I wanted. There 2k build was very thought through in search of good balance

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If you build a high end PC you go with DDR5. Sure it is not useful right now, but in 3 years? Problem is that the prices have increased for a big majority of components (to different degrees)
The end of the year is gonna be very interesting that's for sure.

It makes no sense to me to spend money that’s not needed. Why would I pay top dollar for a component that won’t see effectiveness for three years? In three years we’ll have even faster DDR5.

That’s just throwing top dollar everything in a rig to say it’s top of the line. Someone else could build a top end rig that performs just as well in games and costs considerably less.

Last edited:

yamaci17

It makes no sense to me to spend money that’s not needed. Why would I pay top dollar for a component that won’t see effectiveness for three years? In three years we’ll have even faster DDR5.

That’s just throwing top dollar everything in a rig to say it’s top of the line. Someone else could build a top end rig that performs just as well in games and costs considerably less.
yeah imagine wasting money on 8 cores 1700x, 2700x and 3700x over 1600x and 2600 and 3600 only for a 100 bucks 4 buck 12thgen 4/8 i3 cpu to shit all over them

there's simply no point getting anything better than 5600x / 5600 at this point. it will always be faster than 3700x in gamings, and it will be faster than consoles too

3700x lacks so much ipc/str that extra cores barely offsets the difference in extremely multihreaded applications such as r20

if anything, if games became such highly threaded, 6/12 cpus will also see a huge uplift. currently they're not utilized to their maximum potential. sure you can see high cpu utilization but diff. between 6/6 and 6/12 and 4/8 is still not big enough

the famous 4/4 i5 and 4/8 i7 is usually brought into discussion, but that was when some games managed to scale beyond 4 threads, to 6 cores/6 threads/8 threads. in that case, the i7s had TWO TIMES, %100 more threads than i5s. in the case if r5s and r7, the difference is only %33. so something drastic like that will never happen between them

getting anything above 5800x.. lol. if you use production software, okay. if you're purely gaming with only discord active, 5600x will suffice.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Omg but why do you care? I'm 32 and I have the money so if I want to build a freakin war machine that's what I'm gonna do.
And no, a computer that costs 2K won't last as long as if you buy the best parts available. MAYBE I want to buy a 4K computer so I wont have to change anything before the end of this generation of consoles.

Finally, I'm using Blender so more power = I'm happy

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Omg but why do you care? I'm 32 and I have the money so if I want to build a freakin war machine that's what I'm gonna do.
And no, a computer that costs 2K won't last as long as if you buy the best parts available. MAYBE I want to buy a 4K computer so I wont have to change anything before the end of this generation of consoles.

Finally, I'm using Blender so more power = I'm happy

The conversation is about a high end PC not costing as much money as some are saying. DDR5 is absolutely not needed whatsoever.
Hell, if you’re just gaming then anything over 16GB of Ram does nothing.

It has NOTHING to do with whatever your 32yr old ass personally decides to put in your machine. Nobody gives a shit. You’re not the topic of conversation.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
yeah imagine wasting money on 8 cores 1700x, 2700x and 3700x over 1600x and 2600 and 3600 only for a 100 bucks 4 buck 12thgen 4/8 i3 cpu to shit all over them

there's simply no point getting anything better than 5600x / 5600 at this point. it will always be faster than 3700x in gamings, and it will be faster than consoles too

3700x lacks so much ipc/str that extra cores barely offsets the difference in extremely multihreaded applications such as r20

if anything, if games became such highly threaded, 6/12 cpus will also see a huge uplift. currently they're not utilized to their maximum potential. sure you can see high cpu utilization but diff. between 6/6 and 6/12 and 4/8 is still not big enough

the famous 4/4 i5 and 4/8 i7 is usually brought into discussion, but that was when some games managed to scale beyond 4 threads, to 6 cores/6 threads/8 threads. in that case, the i7s had TWO TIMES, %100 more threads than i5s. in the case if r5s and r7, the difference is only %33. so something drastic like that will never happen between them

getting anything above 5800x.. lol. if you use production software, okay. if you're purely gaming with only discord active, 5600x will suffice.

You’re only going to notice a difference in games that are CPU bound. Otherwise my 3600 still hangs with a 5600. But a 5600 at it’s current price is a great deal - especially given that you don’t even need a new motherboard if you’re running an AM4 socket.

The 5800X3D looks like a whole other beast though. Still, I’m waiting for AM5 socket before upgrading.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The conversation is about a high end PC not costing as much money as some are saying. DDR5 is absolutely not needed whatsoever.
If you build a high end PC you go with the top. Currently the top is DDR5 @6000MHz. That's it.

Hell, if you’re just gaming then anything over 16GB of Ram does nothing.
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

It has NOTHING to do with whatever your 32yr old ass personally decides to put in your machine. Nobody gives a shit. You’re not the topic of conversation.
I took myself as example yeah, because I'm building a high end PC by the end of the year and I know what I'm talking about. You keep saying "it's not needed now, blablabla" but I don't build a high end computer to be obsolete in 2 or 3 years at best.
No, this is made to be futureproof and yeah that mean at least 32Gb of RAM (I go with 64 because reasons) and 16 is already limiting in some cases, I let you do some research.

Guilty_AI

If you build a high end PC you go with the top. Currently the top is DDR5 @6000MHz. That's it.

I took myself as example yeah, because I'm building a high end PC by the end of the year and I know what I'm talking about. You keep saying "it's not needed now, blablabla" but I don't build a high end computer to be obsolete in 2 or 3 years at best.
No, this is made to be futureproof and yeah that mean at least 32Gb of RAM (I go with 64 because reasons) and 16 is already limiting in some cases, I let you do some research.
Even DDR3 with half the frequency of a DDR4 has barely any performance difference in modern games. DDR4 certainly won't be obsolete in 2 to 3 years.

If you wanna go top, its your choice. But if you think a more ""budget"" build with stuff like a 3060 ti and a 5600 will be considered obsolete in a couple of years, you're severely mistaken.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Even DDR3 with half the frequency of a DDR4 has barely any performance difference in modern games. DDR4 certainly won't be obsolete in 2 to 3 years.

If you wanna go top, its your choice. But if you think a more ""budget"" build with stuff like a 3060 ti and a 5600 will be considered obsolete in a couple of years, you're severely mistaken.
Obsolete in the way it won't run newly released games at max settings. Sure you can get some very solid configuration for a more decent price but we are talking about high end PCs.
And with the jump to a new generation of consoles, I'm expecting to see a big jump in the need of RAM and VRAM. Time will tell but if you can afford it, why restrain yourself?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

What games require more than 16GB of RAM? Legit curious.

Guilty_AI

Obsolete in the way it won't run newly released games at max settings. Sure you can get some very solid configuration for a more decent price but we are talking about high end PCs.
And with the jump to a new generation of consoles, I'm expecting to see a big jump in the need of RAM and VRAM. Time will tell but if you can afford it, why restrain yourself?
Its just to counter the idea that pcs need to be +$3k. Sure if you don't mind spending the money theres no reason to restrain yourself, but many people in this thread act as if thats the norm, and you have to chuck out that amount of cash to buy a next-gen pc.

On a side note, i would never recommend building pc aiming for max settings in every game. Thats simply because a lot of these maximum settings often aren't optimized, and provide little to no visual gain in exchange for insane amounts of performance. Aiming to high or high-ultra settings is better.

Guilty_AI

tbf, some games with lots of customizability or mods might.
Playing Beamng for example, the game may start complaining about low RAM if i spaw too many AI vehicles on a large level.

But regardless, thats somewhat of a moot point considering how easy it is to get more ram into your pc. If 16gb isn't enough in the future, you can just buy more then.

Last edited:
I have a pc and a dog. He likes to play consoles with me on the TV in the family room like an adjusted adult. He has no time for some hidey tween shit, sweatin on his rig in the command center.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Ark, Star Citizen, Flight Simulator are a few examples. But for now it also depends if you play on 4K or not while in a few month things will change, especially with Unreal Engine 5.
And yeah if you start moding Skyrim, GTA V and the soon to come Starfield, you better have more than 16gb.
Its just to counter the idea that pcs need to be +$3k. Sure if you don't mind spending the money theres no reason to restrain yourself, but many people in this thread act as if thats the norm, and you have to chuck out that amount of cash to buy a next-gen pc.

On a side note, i would never recommend building pc aiming for max settings in every game. Thats simply because a lot of these maximum settings often aren't optimized, and provide little to no visual gain in exchange for insane amounts of performance. Aiming to high or high-ultra settings is better.
Yep I completely agree on that. Building a top of the top PC has never been a good move, even 10 years ago (I'd make an exception for the 1080 at her time, that thing was a BEAST).
On the settings getting really performance hungry, I agree too. Especially with ray tracing... Thank god DLSS exist.

yamaci17

Ark, Star Citizen, Flight Simulator are a few examples. But for now it also depends if you play on 4K or not while in a few month things will change, especially with Unreal Engine 5.
And yeah if you start moding Skyrim, GTA V and the soon to come Starfield, you better have more than 16gb.

Yep I completely agree on that. Building a top of the top PC has never been a good move, even 10 years ago (I'd make an exception for the 1080 at her time, that thing was a BEAST).
On the settings getting really performance hungry, I agree too. Especially with ray tracing... Thank god DLSS exist.
case with flight sim changed, it now plays perfectly with 16 gb even at very high settings (not maxed out)

16 gb, as long as you don't go overboard on background stuff and mods (i'm not saying completely ditching it for both, just don't go overboard), will last through the whole generation. this gen, devs will most likely target even better graphics, higher resolutions. in terms of allocated vram and ram, last gen had 3.5-4 gb gpu pool and 2.5-3 gb cpu pool, which allowed 8 gb ram to be quite performant on all lastgen games. this gen however, they seem to target 8-10 gb gpu pool and a mere 3.5-5 gb of cpu pool, which will quite possibly limit, block and stop any potential improvements with physics and stuff.

flight sim on xbox sx settings uses barely 5-7 GB RAM, and 5-7 GB VRAM, which falls in line with what series x has in terms of memory.

tarkov and star citizen will likely will never be fixed, but i dont believe they will ever get a console port either.

the fact that xbox sx port forced flight simulator from using a raw, untouched 11-12 GB on my system to 5-6 GB RAM, makes me believe that we won't be transitioning to "32 GB recommended" territories for a long time.

to begin with, most games that had trouble with 8 GB could be alleviated by turning off background apps. case in point, most lastgen games + heavy background stuff only realistically uses 9-10 GB. believe me, i've been using my 16 gb system for what, 5 years now, and i've yet to see any occurence aside from star citizen and flight simulator, that filled that last 6-7 GB free empty memory. and funnily, flight simulator devs fixed it. if anything, most games currently now have a 5-7 GB RAM empty waiting to be utilized by games. if there was a way to get dual channel benefits from 12 GB RAM, such as 6+6 configuration, believe me, it wouuld be more popular, because 16 GB RAM actually was the overkill amount up until now. now, however, it is at the optimal level.

even in flight sim, graphically a true next generational game, i still had 3-4 GB empty memory. that tells a lot (mind you video below has recording going on about it so naturally it will have a bit more ram usage)

as i said, no need for hyperboles. even this rig manages to get 25-33 fps in new york at high settings... its a rig some people would tout as "not able to play ps4 ports!! (in reality, pushing 1080p 50-60 fps in most of them) ram usage is also as seen.

Last edited:

yamaci17

"Obsolete in the way it won't run newly released games at max settings."

let me refute this the.

i will go with 4790k and ddr3, since it is one of the pinnacle DDR3 CPUs.

firstly, can you elaborate "won't run"? for example for me, if its a TPS game and you're able to get a locked 30 perfectly, it "ran". first, i need to hear your terms for it. (i wont refute it however. it is subjective.) (30 fps for tps games and 60 fps for fps games, for extra detail)
secondly, after stating the definition of "being able to run", i would like to ask you games where you may think that a 4790k ddr3 rig could not handle max settings solely because of CPU performance per your DEFINITION of being able to "handle it" (mind you, its a strong CPU, and ddr3 wont hamper it. even a gtx 1080ti will most likely be the bottleneck for most new games. so beforehand, do your research or make your estimations based on the fact that I will try to find videos where 4790k is paired with newgen GPUs. because if its performance is limited by GPU, we cannot take that a a serious way to gauge its performance. as i said, a gtx 1080ti cannot even maxout ac valhalla / cyberpunk at 1080p and will drop frames below 60. so it is important to set the rules, expectations and definitions first.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Already done the research. I’m not about throwing money away for nothing of value. Gaming performance from 16GB to 32GB is nothing.

I mean, you think future proofing is real. It’s not. This industry moves way too quickly.

We’re obviously two very different types of builders.

Top Bottom