• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Doom 2 and mouselook don't exactly go hand in hand.

Matlock

Banned
After downloading Doom Legacy and running Doom 2 through it...I figured, eh, what the hell. I flipped it up to the final boss (oh, how fun he is) and beat him in less than two minutes.

With mouselook, all you really have to do is run up to the top of the pyramid, turn towards him, aim right above the bottom of his "exposed brain" and blast away. That's it.

Jeez.

Sander

Haha. I remember the horror of that last level chugging along with a single digit framerate even with the smallest viewable screen area.

Which is not unlike how Doom III will play unless I upgrade :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
golem said:
i was a diehard keyboard user until team fortress..

Same here. I thought people using a mouse in those days were crazy...until I learned how to use the mouse + kb combo effectively

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wario64 said:
Same here. I thought people using a mouse in those days were crazy...until I learned how to use the mouse + kb combo effectively

It didn't work the same back then, though. Remember, Doom did not allow view panning. You could only look left and right. I believe it was a limitation of the semi-3D technology. When Duke 3D allowed it, for example, it distorted the image quite a bit.

Thaedolus

teepo said:
lol, so many people in quake 1 and 2 used the keyboard in multiplayer. such such easy kills.

I was one of them for a very long time, until Jedi Knight turned me away from the dark side. What's funny is I 'invented' my own keyboard + mouse setup, and it turned out to be almost identicle to the one games use now

MoxManiac

Duke 3d (or the build engine, rather) also 'faked' having multiple floors. Normally, in FPS like Doom and it's ilk, because of the way the game is handled (not being true 3d) you could only have one floor of space in a given area. I remember the build engine using a trick to fake having floors on top of each other, that was interesting.

MoxManiac said:
Duke 3d (or the build engine, rather) also 'faked' having multiple floors. Normally, in FPS like Doom and it's ilk, because of the way the game is handled (not being true 3d) you could only have one floor of space in a given area. I remember the build engine using a trick to fake having floors on top of each other, that was interesting.
are you sure about that? because i thought that was supposed to be one of its major advantages over the Doom engines, that it could do that successfully. That, and the fact that the first level alone has several places with multiple floors, it doesnt sound right. Maybe it's still a "trick", but it still worked, right :)

http://advsys.net/ken/build.htm

wonder what kens upto these days

ah speaking of warping

On 12/23/2003, Jonathon Fowler released the first Build Engine port to use my "POLYMOST" technology. Polymost is an OpenGL extension to my original Build Engine code. Because it's an extension, and not something written from scratch (like most other OpenGL Build Engine projects), Polymost benefits by having already-working AI code and moving sector effects. Oh yeah, you also get true look up/down (meaning the perspective is no longer warped :) Just take a look at this screenshot:

shot_gl.jpg

MoxManiac

Well, I wasn't implying that it doesn't work, just that it uses a nonstandard way of doing so.

It's hard to explain, as I haven't worked with the build editor for eons, but let's just say that rooms on top of rooms were a 'trick' of sorts, and that rooms are not physically on top of each other, but rather the game is able to tell from the level data which room you are in. The big thing that tips this off: it is impossible to see both rooms simulatneously (like say, standing outside a two story building looking into windows or holes in the wall) due to the way the engine handles it.

Top Bottom