• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why former PlayStation boss Jack Tretton is trying to buy a billion dollar game company

Bryank75

Banned
6bt18e.jpg

its not a gun but will do

I did one...

Icu6IXr.png

Last edited:

John Wick

I liked Jack Tretton perhaps better than Shawn Layden..but both are definitely better than Jimbo LOL.

Tretton = House > Layden >>>>>>>>>> Jimbo

Just my opinion
I hate Jimbo too. He's just a suit with no personality. All three were better than him.

John Wick

Great speaker and presenter. However, he reigned over the worst years at PlayStation so he cant be that good at managing.
Sony as whole company was out of touch back then due to the Japanese leadership. It took Kaz, Tretton and the crew to get Sony on the right track. They set things in motion and Jimbo inherited a Sony in a healthy state.

Zeroing

Banned
No

I’m pretty sure somehow someone on twitter will use that photo as proof they are an “insider” and MS is buying Sony or god knows what other crazy rumor will come up.

John Wick

So the suit that has a shit eating "im one of you" grin while they businessman is better than businessman being true businessman?
Wtf are you babbling about? When Jimbo took over all the hardwork had already been done. Kaz took Sony out of the red and into the black. Jimbo never inherited a shit show.

Last edited:

Calverz

It’s obvious. He wants to start a studio so he can then sell it to Microsoft for the big bucks. Everyone in the industry needs that Microsoft cash. Even ex Sony execs.

nikolino840

that creates room for a new Zynga or a new Activision to pop up

Ok....and i bet that he will publish games only on PlayStation..

anthony2690

Banned
As you guys seem real good at finding picture off Phil Spencer, can someone find the one with Sakaguchi edited to show them doing Lost Odyssey 2 check, that one always cracked me up!

CamHostage

So funny that people love Jack Tretton, considering he's the guy who fucked up the PS3 reveal E3* with the interview afterwards saying, "It's definitely all real..."

(*Or, you could say he further fucked it, given that Sony at large put those teasers together, knowing fairly well what it would do to gamers' expectations as they weighed between buying a new Xbox 360 or waiting for PS3...)

This was the first time most people had ever seen Jack Tretton, and may not have been used to interviews at this level of public access yet. Tretton was only a VP of Marketing at the time (he would be elevated to President the year after.) Also, he was kind of mixing up titles in this interview. (He kept referring back to Ted, as in Ted Price of Insomniac, and Insomniac's game was "real" even if it evolved a lot in the final product; Killzone 2 and MotorStorm and other demos were obviously not "real gameplay"... Guerrilla itself that same week went to the press in order to make it clear that the Killzone trailer was target render footage, so how there was confusion at any point of the line in Sony Corp is unclear still.)

Still, he was the guy who went out there to speak for Sony, saying that the PS3 games reveals at E3 2005 were not fake.

Somehow, he gained back the trust. Or, at least, he gained popularity once he did become President (despite some other ugly E3 moments; Tretton also had to be the one to open an E3 with an apology after the severe crash and downtime of PlayStation Network.) It was an interesting time for Sony in his reign of 2006 to 2014, a million stories good and bad could be told.

Last edited:
pfA52wI.gif
So funny that people love Jack Tretton, considering he's the guy who fucked up the PS3 reveal E3 with the interview afterwards saying, "It's definitely all real..."

Tretton was only a VP at the time, and he was kind of mixing up titles. (He kept referring back to Ted, as in Ted Price of Insomniac, and Insomniac's game was "real" even if it evolved a lot in the final product; Killzone 2 and MotorStorm and other demos were obviously not "real gameplay"... Guerrilla itself that same week went to the press in order to make it clear that the Killzone trailer was target render footage, so how there was confusion at any point of the line in Sony Corp is unclear still.) But still, he was the guy speaking for Sony saying that the PS3 games reveals at E3 2005 were not fake.

Somehow, he gained back the trust. Or, at least, he gained popularity once he did become President (despite some other ugly E3 moments; Tretton also had to be the one to open an E3 with an apology after the severe crash and downtime of PlayStation Network.) It was an interesting time for Sony in his reign of 2006 to 2014, a million stories good and bad could be told

An accurate lesson on the controversy of the "real-time" gameplay trailers that were so damaging the devs had to run damage control. All thanks to the man Tretton, who couldn't even keep which team worked on which game. A true businessman that is more about the art.

Top Bottom