• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why hasn't Sony remastered Bloodborne?

Mr Hyde

A remaster for Bloodborne on PS5/PC is probably one of the top requested remasters right now. Out of all the first party games that Sony is giving the remaster treatment, Bloodborne is the one game that would really benefit from it. Not Uncharted. Not Ghost of Tsushima. Not Death Stranding. Not God of War. But Bloodborne.

So why the fuck are Sony not doing it? Do they not care about the IP? Are they waiting for another generation to go by so that they can remake it ala Demon's Souls? Is From Software holding the source code hostage and refuses to give it away? Or did some drunk motherfucker at Sony HQ flush the source code down the toilet on the Christmas party last year?

If Sony won't do the remaster in house with, say, Bluepoint, there are tons of studios out there that specializes in remastering games. Panic Button. QLOC. Virtuous. Saber Interactive. Why not give them the task of remastering it? We see remasters getting announced every fucking day. It's a popular way of reintroducing the game to a new generation of consoles and a new audience, which hopefully breathes new life into it with new sales figures. And Bloodborne would probably sell millions right now with the hype of Elden Ring.

So why Sony? WHY?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
With Elden Ring's success Sony might fast track it now.
eh Sony had plenty of time to put out a Bloodborne remaster. I still love the game but after Elden Ring i'm not ready to go back to it. I'm more excited to see what From Software do next. Sony can keep their exclusives like Demons Souls/Bloodborne. They are old games now.

if Sony wants to get my attention they should get to work on Bloodborne 2 and I don't mean have one of their own studios make it. It needs to be done by From Software. with ER being a huge success Sony will need to throw money at them to try convince them to make the game.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

It is not worth it for them. There is not enough interest (besides the same few loud people on the internet who make a post begging for it twice a week), you can compare its sales to their other titles. Also fromsoft games are poorly made tech-wise so it would propably take more effort and time and ultimately more money than other titles which would have higher return on the investment.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It is not worth it for them. There is not enough interest, you can compare its sales to their other titles. Also fromsoft games are poorly made tech-wise so it would propably take more effort and time and ultimately more money than other titles which would have higher return on the investment.
not enough interest? for the last 7 years people have been crying for a bloodborne remaster/sequel.

it's alright if you don't like the games but you're talking shit :messenger_tears_of_joy: poorly made? Elden Ring is higher rated than any PS exclusive title so yeah alright...

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
eh Sony had plenty of time to put out a Bloodborne remaster. I still love the game but after Elden Ring i'm not ready to go back to it. I'm more excited to see what From Software do next. Sony can keep their exclusives like Demons Souls/Bloodborne. They are old games now.

if Sony wants to get my attention they should get to work on Bloodborne 2 and I don't mean have one of their own studios make it. It needs to be done by From Software. with ER being a huge success Sony will need to throw money at them.
I was just thinking that with the crazy success Elden Ring has had, Sony might think about making a Bloodbourne remaster sooner rather than later. And with Demons Souls moderate success, why not do a quick(ish) cash grab and make a remaster? OR maybe they wait for the PS6 and do a full remake.

Either way, I don't see any way they get From to make an exclusive PS game again. From has gotten too big. *Maybe* if Sony allows them to do a day one PC release then they'd go for it. But even then, they'd be losing millions in sales from an Xbox version. You're right; Sony would have to throw a ton of money at them.

sircaw

Banned
jurassic park water GIF

Mr Hyde

It is not worth it for them. There is not enough interest, you can compare its sales to their other titles. Also fromsoft games are poorly made tech-wise so it would propably take more effort and time and ultimately more money than other titles which would have higher return on the investment.

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Also, if Bloodborne is poorly made tech wise, it would be an even greater incentive to remaster it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I was just thinking that with the crazy success Elden Ring has had, Sony might think about making a Bloodbourne remaster sooner rather than later. And with Demons Souls moderate success, why not do a quick(ish) cash grab and make a remaster? OR maybe they wait for the PS6 and do a full remake.

Either way, I don't see any way they get From to make an exclusive PS game again. From has gotten too big. *Maybe* if Sony allows them to do a day one PC release then they'd go for it. But even then, they'd be losing millions in sales from an Xbox version. You're right; Sony would have to throw a ton of money at them.
yeah i don't doubt Sony will want to make a Bloodborne remaster now that ER is out. Like i said they've had 7 years to do it but haven't been bothered to even push for a patch of the game nevermind hint at a remaster.

all i'm saying is From Software are on another level now and it's too late for Sony to cash in on a remaster of an old game when a much better game has just came out. I was one begging for a bb remaster but now i don't really care cause ER is so much fun. We won't get a remaster now maybe we will get a remake for PS6 but that's a long way away. I'm not sure it's even worth it after the DeS remaster. Sony need a sequel and if they can't get FS to do it then why even bother?

T4keD0wN

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Also, if Bloodborne is poorly made tech wise, it would be an even greater incentive to remaster it.
From a consumer perspective it is more appealing, but i think it would be more difficult, which would increase the cost and time, which is less appealing for a company and companies exist only for one reason: to make money

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
It's still playable on the current console and it's part of the PS+ collection. It certainly isn't a model of peak performance, but really the only thing needed is a patch to improve the frame rate.

I can't imagine anyone would be impressed with the difference even if Sony went all out on the potential remaster.

laynelane

I get what you're saying, but the game is only seven years old. Demon's Souls got a remake but it was released in 2009. A remaster would be great, though, I'd buy it. Not so much a remake since I doubt it would retain the original art style.

Mr Hyde

it's too late for Sony to cash in on a remaster of an old game when a much better game has just came out

This is really stupid. Bloodborne is still a great game despite how good Elden Ring is. It still holds up incredibly well. It's even a better game than ER in many ways. More focused, balanced, with a much better approach to combat, level design, art design and bosses. In fact, Bloodborne is so different from Elden Ring that it would work to its favor of re-relasing it again.

Belthazar

A remaster for Bloodborne on PS5/PC is probably one of the top requested remasters right now.

By who? People act like it's a 10 million seller or something, but it probably didn't even crack 5 million at this point. One could argue it didn't even pass the 3 million milestone, and even if it did was due to the massive discounts it suffered, not at full price.

It's a very good game with a very vocal fanbase, but it's hardly in demand outside of that.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
This is really stupid. Bloodborne is still a great game despite how good Elden Ring is. It still holds up incredibly well. It's even a better game than ER in many ways. More focused, balanced, with a much better approach to combat, level design, art design and bosses. In fact, Bloodborne is so different from Elden Ring that it would work to its favor of re-relasing it again.
i don't disagree. i still love bloodborne and you're right it's a tighter game but i've played through it countless times and i don't want to go back to it after Elden Ring. instead of an old game i want to see what From Software do next. if Sony had pushed for a remaster (or even a patch for ps4 pro/ps5) in the last 7 years i'd have played the shit out of it. that time has gone now.
It's still playable on the current console and it's part of the PS+ collection. It certainly isn't a model of peak performance, but really the only thing needed is a patch to improve the frame rate.

I can't imagine anyone would be impressed with the difference even if Sony went all out on the potential remaster.
while a remaster would've been nice i do agree it only needs a basic patch to unlock framerate and higher resolution. maybe add in an option to turn of chromatic aberration. but sony/from software haven't bothered.

Last edited:
Would be an awesome thing to have on PS6. They could do a number of the beast special.

Keep the powder dry and wait for the double triple

yurinka

I assume Sony prefered to focus on games and series that sold more or in new IPs that had potential to sell more. Even more if they were tied to movie or tv show releases for extra profit.

Once they released all the stuff that had more priority for them, I assume they will make a Bloodborne remaster/Director's Cut and PC port, specially after seeing Demon's Souls remake and Elden Ring performing very well.

You have to remember that while several Sony hits sold over 15M or 20M, seems that Bloodborne only sold a few million copies.

Last edited:

Beechos

Umm the game only sold like 2 million copies according to a google search which puts in on par with the likes of knack. We'll prob get a days gone sequel/remaster before a bloodborne one.

skneogaf

This is where I think xbox is actually better than playstation, I firmly believe that if a game that has as much of a fan base as bloodborne does and from software games in general and it was reviewed very highly then xbox would definitely have gone back to it.

Xbox probably would have updated the frame rate and resolution for the xbox one x.

Bloodborne is now the only FROM SOFTWARE soulsborne game that I can't play at 60fps.

And its still my favourite even though elden ring is absolutely epic bloodborne is arguably perfect from start to finish.

Ceadeus

Sony did full remasters of Uncharted and Ghost of Tsushima, both last gen games. And Ghost got an upgrade less than a full year from its original release.
Which feels weird to me. How come people are ready to pay twice for games they played not long ago? To each their own preferences I guess!

RafterXL

They just to release a PS5 patch that ups the resolution and framerate. It doesn't really need a remaster but it sure as shit needs these two things, badly.

Jeeves

A remaster for a game from last gen? What even is there to remaster? Just go buy a second copy of it if you're that desperate to buy the game again.

clem84

Gold Member
It was a last generation game. There won't be much difference. I don't get why people want this. It would barely look any better.

NinjaBoiX

It does seem strange that it hasn’t even had a simple remaster with updated textures and stuff. I know there’d be some fundamental recoding required to get it running properly at 60fps with how the engine works, but surely it wouldn’t be a huge amount of work for the money it would bring in.

Hell, an amateur coder has already proved the frame rate can be sorted, toss in some nicer textures and a higher resolution and I think most people would be satisfied.

And yeah, a more substantial full on remake ala Demon’s Souls will likely be on the cards in 5-10 years, but that’s a long time for a classic game to be left in a suboptimal state given how little work would be required for the financial gain.
It was a last generation game. There won't be much difference. I don't get why people want this. It would barely look any better.
A solid 60fps refresh would improve the game greatly, with some rudimentary graphical icing it would be plenty to warrant a rerelease.

Last edited:
I'm assuming it's because despite the small, but loud, vocal minority on niche forums asking for it on an almost daily basis the desire for a remake makes zero financial sense. How many copies did Bloodborne even sell? I can't imagine it's anymore than a few million?

ACESHIGH

Banned
Because they are for lack of a better word... Retarded. If anything they should see elden rings sales and make up their mind.

A proper PC port would sell an easy 3 million copies. And add the PS audience on top of that.

badblue

It is not worth it for them. There is not enough interest (besides the same few loud people on the internet who make a post begging for it twice a week), you can compare its sales to their other titles. Also fromsoft games are poorly made tech-wise so it would propably take more effort and time and ultimately more money than other titles which would have higher return on the investment.
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Top Bottom