• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I grew to dislike modern story-driven games and think that we should be more demanding of that aspect in gaming

StueyDuck

Find another hobby, it sucks when you become a fan of something and ask for more or something similar which rarely solves the problem, finding another hobby is a lot easier or at least get along with all kinds of games, PC should be in the list cause it's the most ideal platform for the variety of choices you can get.
I'd imagine OPs opinions have changed dramatically since this thread was conceived since they now think bloober team make incredible games 🤣.

We don't need to mention how hot shit the story telling and narrative are In those titles.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'd imagine OPs opinions have changed dramatically since this thread was conceived since they now think bloober team make incredible games 🤣.

We don't need to mention how hot shit the story telling and narrative are In those titles.
791h.gif

Drizzlehell

Banned
Find another hobby, it sucks when you become a fan of something and ask for more or something similar which rarely solves the problem, finding another hobby is a lot easier or at least get along with all kinds of games, PC should be in the list cause it's the most ideal platform for the variety of choices you can get.
I have other hobbies but gaming is what I do the most. What sucks about the current state of things is that the games that I find the least interesting usually tend to be the ones that have the highest budgets. High investment means that it has to have a wide audience appeal so obviously people who make these games wanna make sure that even babies and their grandparents can play them too.

But what I would love to see more of are the games which have a bit more nuance in the gameplay department and also have a beefy budget that can provide a triple-A level of scope and visual flare. I hate that I have to use Returnal as a positive example because I'm not a very huge fan of Roguelikes, but honestly, I'd rather see more games like Returnal or Elden Ring than those narrative driven, movie-like games with underwhelming gameplay and lots and lots of pointless filler.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Writing in most media is pretty weak in general as of late so its not that big a deal to me as long as the story isn't meant to be important/Good. Also the Last of us show was so much worse than the games story lol.

SHA

I have other hobbies but gaming is what I do the most. What sucks about the current state of things is that the games that I find the least interesting usually tend to be the ones that have the highest budgets. High investment means that it has to have a wide audience appeal so obviously people who make these games wanna make sure that even babies and their grandparents can play them too.

But what I would love to see more of are the games which have a bit more nuance in the gameplay department and also have a beefy budget that can provide a triple-A level of scope and visual flare. I hate that I have to use Returnal as a positive example because I'm not a very huge fan of Roguelikes, but honestly, I'd rather see more games like Returnal or Elden Ring than those narrative driven, movie-like games with underwhelming gameplay and lots and lots of pointless filler.
The generation hasn't started yet, it took a lot of time to witness the true beginning, you could tell that we're lacking abundance "content wise", it has to be available , abundance pleases everyone , there has to be risks, otherwise , they won't make their moves , cause doing nothing is a lot riskier than doing something.

Guilty_AI

Well, theres armored core 6 to look forward to 🙃

Top Bottom