• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I'm feeling a little more positive nowadays about the Silent Hills cancellation

I might seem like someone affiliated with this game with how much I throw it's name out there, but Layers of Fear touches on a lot of what made PT, PT. It's great a indie game, great graphics and some nice scares and tricks we haven't seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXFQ4i9szI

The horror genre has been on the up and up for quite some time and I don't see it losing any traction. Losing PT was a great blow as the minds behind it were brilliant. I definitely expect there to be plenty of games that will 'steal' some of PT's ideas and put them to good use.

This and Allison Road both look really really good, I'm glad there's at least something similar coming out eventually

KORNdoggy

Kojima directing a Silent Hill game is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

honestly...this.

the good silent hills are incredibly subtle and nuanced in the way their stories are told. kojima is all about cheeseball melodramatics and rediculous plot-lines. and i've seen no evidence to suggest he's be able to do otherwise. PT worked in a vacuum, but i never liked the idea of silent hill being in his hands. i was much more interested in del toro's involvement. either way it's dead now. something PT-esque might come around again from either kojima or konami, but i think silent hill as a franchise is dead. and it died with SH3.

I might seem like someone affiliated with this game with how much I throw it's name out there, but Layers of Fear touches on a lot of what made PT, PT. It's great a indie game, great graphics and some nice scares and tricks we haven't seen before.

The horror genre has been on the up and up for quite some time and I don't see it losing any traction. Losing PT was a great blow as the minds behind it were brilliant. I definitely expect there to be plenty of games that will 'steal' some of PT's ideas and put them to good use.

That looks great. Honestly, I'm a little surprised that this is coming from Bloober Team, who to date have mostly made slightly above average digital games.

Love that these indie devs are picking up the torch from PT and running with it.

Kssio_Aug

I'm itching to get this one now... I have some unused Steam wallet money from a reimbursement. I may get it...

Or alternatively, it would have come out, been absolutely fucking amazing and terrifying, and becomes a hugely influential title and rejuvenation of a much beloved franchise

Salaadin

There is no way Konami can ignore P.T. and the hype it created. They will revive it somehow without Kojima.
I honestly think that we'll see a Silent Hills spiritual successor done by Kojima, wherever he ends up, before we ever see a real Silent Hills from Konami.

IMG_20151001_204706.jpg

Shauni

It's actually one of the better pitches for Kojima considering his end game in every Metal Gear kills of like 80% of the cast and that's what usually happens in most Horror movies so it works perfectly. It's too bad people just can't let it go though, del Toro made it worse with that Junji Ito thing and now suddenly everyone is an OG Ito fan/expert. There's so much more for Kojima out there, too bad he never got to work on a third ZoE which I'm still somewhat bitter about. But sales, etc.

Wat?

Top Bottom