• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is most gamer humor actually fucking unfunny as hell

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
See this thread for some great examples.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/why-is-all-gaming-humour-terrible.961897/
iWFA3TE_d.webp
Oh god, how could I forget this one:

AsjH6Ds.png

It's so stupid and the art is so awful, I burst out laughing like an idiot.
Again.

839988.png

All Ubi needs to pull this off is to claim the zoetrope is OLED.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I believe Wolfenstein TNO is the only game that made actually legitimately chuckle. Writing good comedy is very hard. Video game writing in general is pretty awful. That’s why.

They are videogames, not Netflix comedy specials lol.

Humor in current videogames is made for current teens. Most of us around are already too old to like it

Reizo Ryuu

Well humour is subjective, there's always going to be things that you find extremely funny, while the person next to you will be sitting there with a straight face, and vice versa.

A lot of people's idea of "funny" is just a bunch of "in-jokes" really, basically re-hashing punchlines or references, and then everyone laughing because "yeah I remember that being a joke".
It's basically how comedy was done for a long time, with people on-stage even doing the same material as other people over and over again, of course with a "funny" voice.
This kinda changed in the early '60s, with comedians doing more and more original/edge material, and of course they got arrested for those performances.

You can see the "in-joke" mentality everywhere, from the office, to social gatherings, to trash tik-toks, everyone is just doing the same shit because it's safe and leads to easy acceptance, but there's no real creativity behind it.
Most people who write comedy aren't very good at it, and repeatedly fall into the "in-joke" crowd, or will try to be way too "clever/intellectual", only to have that backfire.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
So it's not the writing in games that isn't funny, but gaming culture itself can't produce funny content? I imagine it's where you look. I've seen some pretty funny videos about video games (Viva La Dirt, Battlefield Friends, etc). Every once in awhile you get some funny comics, but it's been far and few between within the last decade
Viva la Dirt League is BAD. Old, trite jokes that get dragged way too long.

ssringo

Another pointless question is what's up with people using "fuck" and it's derivatives awkwardly in sentences.

See it on REE all the time.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think humor in games is at it's best when it's put in charming games that don't take themselves too seriously, like Goemon or Okami.

Yakuza games can be funny at times too, specially Like a Dragon.

Last edited:
Most humor is unfunny, so why should gamer humor be an exception?

This is legit the funniest video on the internet, though.

supernova8

Banned
Sadly Mega 64 have become far less frequent and they seem to do their real life skits less and less...

I suppose there's less tolerance for that stuff these days, especially since COVID, the feeling of "get away from me don't touch me" is probably way stronger in a lot of people.

I actually have some ideas for more real life skits:

Demons' Souls: have two of the dudes square up with swords and medieval armor, eyeing each other up for like 2 or 3 minutes and then let one of them get killed instantly. Then switch to another dude playing Demons Souls on his couch and being like "fuck this game, too hard".

Zelda BOTW: I would make this a mix of: (1) one of the dudes dressing up as a korok, hiding in random places and then doing the "do do do, yeheh! you found me!" sound, (2) one of the guys dressed as Link and running for like 5 seconds before his green stamina wheel runs out. Make it really comically short, (3) do a "cooking random stuff in a pot" skit.

Bojji

The best games i have ever played in terms of humour are old Ratchet games and jak and daxter. From new stuff probably guardians of the Galaxy are the best.

Fahdis

If OP is any of the following, close this thread:

- British
- American
- Canadian
- Human

Thank you.

Krathoon

There is a lot of silliness in games. Look at the Need for Speed games. There is a certain silliness to them.
Also in the Need for Speed reboot, you can't just hit the Esc key to quit for some weird reason. Not certain what is up with that. I killed the app.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Giantbomb used to be good at capturing the silliness of the video games.

Watch their playthrough of Bioforge.

kiphalfton

Even more cringe are threads like this. Dude you made up a story in your head and now you're offended by it xD You sound like redditor.

I mean he could just ignore it.

In my opinion PewDiePie, Dr. Disrespect, etc. are all cringey af... which is why I don't watch that garbage. Same with playing Fortnite or watching people stream it. It looks stupid, so I don't watch videos about it or play it. The list goes on.

If you get sucked in by clickbait thumbnails or stupid titles, that's on you. Pretty much why I don't use YouTube ever, is because it's cringe central.

manfestival

Most of the games are not even funny. Recently came across this myself with Borderlands 3. The game does everything it can to be so funny haha and it ends up being just eyerolling and dumb. Problem is the subjective nature of humor. Most games just try too hard though.

Danknugz

I believe Wolfenstein TNO is the only game that made actually legitimately chuckle. Writing good comedy is very hard. Video game writing in general is pretty awful. That’s why.
is this the one where germans have invaded the states? i played that last year and witnessed a hilarious npc interaction with an SS guard where he was trying to explain how to pronounce danke schoen to some red necks. it was definitely some good old id software humor i hadn't seen in quite a long time and was pretty refreshing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom