• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PS5/Xbox Series called next gen when its current?

PerfectDark

Banned
This drives me insane. I don't understand it. Before the consoles released they were next generation consoles. PS5 and Xbox Series has been out for about 10 months now almost a year. Ps4 and Xbox One are not current gen. If they were current gen devs would prioritize making Xbox One and PS4 the best version of a game.

If you don't have a Xbox Series or PS5 you are playing on a last gen console. You are behind one console generation.

Maybe I am wrong I don't get this.

Fredrik

It’s even weirder when many of us have PCs too.
Is ray-tracing a next gen graphics technology?
Is fast SSDs next gen hardware?
Is the upcoming Cyberpunk next gen patch already here?
And what about Switch? Is it a next gen console?

jaysius

Banned
It's not, there's current gen and dead gen, dead gen always drags current gen into the shitter for at least 1 year, but this time around it'll be longer because COVID(yea right) and because these machines are being scalped more than bought in the traditional way.

Because it's honestly barely even started, so still feels next gen and doesn't feel current. We've had like 3 PS5 only games and that's it.

Alebrije

Usually it takes 1 year to stop call them next gen but due to Covid the lack of PS5 and Series X in markets creates a sense that we have not started next gen yet....also new great games only avaliable for those consoles sums to this sense.

mortal

Gold Member
Next-gen is often a colloquialism for the cutting edge.
This happens with every new console gen. It takes a year or so for the majority of people to become familiar with the new consoles being the current gen since were still in that cross-gen period.

It's similar to when people sometimes think it's still the previous year after new years.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Probably arbitrary since I ebayed my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X happily thinking "I'll grab a PS5 in a few months."

it's been almost a year and they're still unavailable. How do you lot all have seven PS5s and a cadre of Xbox products?! Bastards the lot of you.

Still need to see how TLOU2 ends dammit.

Thank god for PC and Switch.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
giphy.gif

It drives me mad that people complain about this every generation. The vast majority of gamers still are on PS4/Xbox One, not PS5/Series X. PS4 is really just as much current-gen as PS5 is.

It's easiest to refer to them as next-gen and last-gen during the transition months/year. That way there is no confusion which consoles you're referring to.

Last edited:

T8SC

For someone with Perfect Dark as an avatar, I would've thought you'd be old enough to know this happens every generation.

MaulerX

OP, you're not wrong. They're technically "current" gen consoles.

But historically speaking there's always been a transition period. The first year or so we get the cross-gen phase in which almost none of the "next-gen" features are fully implemented thus most still refer to them as next-gen as most of the goodies have yet to bear fruit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom