• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the industry abandoning split screen co-op?

Probably not many people use this feature. Companies are collecting data all the time you’re connected so they know what is trending or not.

sn0man

When modern games are a cross gen releases derived from PC ports the “work” argument is quite overrated. Seriously, for a PS5/XbSX take the steam deck/Switch/PC low settings and boom, split screen optimized is ready.

This is just plainly a reflection of the times. People won’t drive over to a friends house enough and local play doesn’t sell enough DLC/online subscriptions for folks.

We basically have Nintendo and Indies keeping this alive for the most part.

If the industry is abandoning it, it means that the market is probably rejecting it or at least not penalizing its absence. At the end of the day, the decision is in the hands of the consumer and the consumer seems to not care.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its a lot of work to cover the same bases already covered in many instances by online multiplayer.

DR3AM

Like most people said

- Not many people use split screen anymore
- Development cost and time
- Most games have multi-player already
- Games started using "full screen" to play MP games aka zoomed out camera to fit 4 players at the same time.

Techies

Because the Xbox Series S can't do it.

(ducks)
Minecraft, 4 player splitscreen. Apart from the weather it worked.

Xbox has a lot of splitscreen games. Old and newish.

Also remote play works well on the pc side.

Last edited:

PJX

Nintendo made it mandatory to have a 2nd controller in the box ever sinc3 the NES, and only strayed from that path in Wii-U.
Nintendo always assumed there is a 2nd player in the room.
SNES was the last Nintendo console to be packaged with 2 controllers.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

I'm here just waiting for Diablo 4, hoping it haves co-op campaign in consoles just like Diablo 3. One of the games I play the most with my wife.

Emedan

Honestly Split Screen coop haven't been necessary since most people got broadband internet. So we coming up on 20 years soon.

acm2000

because gamers are unsocial nerds who dont have IRL friends 🤓

or online killed it

Last edited:
Developers would rather not go through the trouble of making the console render 2, 3, or 4 instances of the game at once when most people just play online.

Switch is the console for people who have IRL friends anyways.

1) I bet devs get something if their games brings a lot of people to use Live/PSN
2) Online Multiplayer means that every player must own a copy of the game

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They'll keep making games like turtles shredders revenge..

And stuff like that is couch co op golden gaming!

Gang beasts and soon the animals one...can't wait!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Broforce in 4player co op is the most fun I had in years.

It baffles the mind that Sony has no Mario Kart equivalent or competent Smash on their console.

Esppiral

Online happened like 20 years ago, local split screen has been a thing if the past and no standard for many years I don't understand why people acts like it is something new.. well I do

mrmustard

Banned
The same reason why lan parties died. It's much more comfortable to play online coop so most people don't use ist at all. If there is any outrage over cancelled or delayed split screen coop, it's 99% an exclusive game and 99% of the 'concerned' and 'disappointed' people are console warriors.

Last edited:

Three

The same reason why lan parties died. It's much more comfortable to play online coop so most people don't use ist at all. If there is any outrage over cancelled or delayed split screen coop, it's 99% an exclusive game and 99% of the 'concerned' and 'disappointed' people are console warriors.
I hope no developers actually listen to your drivel and they listen more to the success of It Takes Two.

Robb

Gold Member
My guess would be that the devs/publishers see/have seen the user data and that it’s not a feature the majority uses.

Susurrus

Nothing like getting with the lads in front of the TV and playing some N64 split screen back in the day.

I do like that Nintendo has hung in there with it. Smash Bros even supports up to 8 players. I've only done that a couple time but it is just chaotic and fun as hell.

Admittedly I don't have as much as an opportunity these days, but as my kids are getting old enough to join in, that may change.

Hudo

Well, I've read recently on a Website that devs hate the Series S and it is the sole reason why the industry has abandoned split screen.

Edit: The website in question is frequented by video game experts.

Last edited:

phant0m

kids don't go over to each other's houses anymore. it's much easier for mom & dad to plop them in front of a screen and let them sit on discord with their friends and play fortnite/minecraft/roblox

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
kids don't go over to each other's houses anymore. it's much easier for mom & dad to plop them in front of a screen and let them sit on discord with their friends and play fortnite/minecraft/roblox
Do you go over to your friends house to play videogames today?

Last edited:

Dane

Because it fits with games that doesn't split screens like fighting, beat em up, party games, but for games with split screen? It has been a tough sell since the PS360,

Last edited:

Beechos

Um because everyone plays online nowadays and its more convient for the players and devs. It's like asking why people don't shop at retail and buy everything online.

L*][*N*K

Banned
The industry is doing what the industry has always done: not spending money on features that don't attract massive audiences and in return make the most amount of money.

Split-Screen Coop is one of those.

Loved Halo Split screen our team of 4 played these other 4 guys on a Lan cable from uni and to see them crushed in real life u don't get that online.

Also Split Screen Minecraft on Xbox 360 was so much fun, it's a shame Splitscreen is treated like shit.

Top Bottom