• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the PlayStation 5 suddenly "$399.99" when the PlayStation 3 was "$599 US Dollars"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS3 fans from 2006 being likely hounded by the 2006 equivalent of you are travelling forward in time to say “how do you like ‘em apples?”.

Seriously though, for good or bad reasons, the common sense opinion of the time judged the 20 GB PS3 like they judge the XSS now... not the “real” console and thus when one thought PS3 they thought $599 and when they think Next Generation Xbox they think $499.
By that same logic the Digital Edition is also not the "real console", because it's not, and this is made even worse by it being a paper launch.

The ironic situation in all of this is the never ending talk of rights, and physical media, game ownership and so on (especially from the PS community) and the same people who tout this logic of ownership fall on their sword to say the PS5 is $399.99 for a console they themselves would never buy.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think the Digital PS5 is a fine choice, and it’s the one I made. I’ve downloaded most of my games this generation, because:

1: I don’t find today’s games all that memorable or replayable in most cases
2: I’m not that worried about prices and reselling, when even Digital crashes down to a few dollars
3: My time is valuable. I’d rather press a few buttons, than drive down to the store and negotiate with Wal-Mart to actually have an employee in electronics, to open the game case

PS3 was indeed a mistake, outside of Europe. It was a $499 console. That got you a full, feature-complete system (some USBs maybe got removed?). I don’t understand why history sees it as a $599 one. Maybe the initial E3 press conference, and all the meming?
Hmm I got to ask, why PS3 was mistake outside of Europe? In here new PS3 after launch cost around 21k CZK, which is 940bucks in today's money, pretty much whole average monthly payment by that time. It was better to just buy a PC for that price....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Digital Edition is not "the PlayStation 5".

It is, nothing different from it other than the UHD Blu-Ray drive.

Hey, I understand how you feel... the 20 GB PS3 with user replaceable HDD was very much a PS3 and it got shafted by the public opinion (in terms of playing PS3 games) and in a bit of a similar way the XSS also is not seen by many as a real next generation model and that is a bit unfair too (even though the base PS3 was a lot closer to the 60 GB PS3 model than XSS is to XSX).

From there to call the DE PS5 not the real PS5 because it lacks the UHD Blu-Ray drive or because it is out of stock for the moment seems a bit trollish or childish, pick one I guess.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I'm seeing this divergence in logic quite a bit in the fanboy fodder around here seeking to have an edge against the Series X and its $499.99 price point, which is only feature matched by the equal in cost PlayStation 5 itself.

There was a $499.99 PS3 at the time in 2006, that was always a thing and yet the focus was $599.99 and nothing else. The most anachronous bit of logic in the situation is that neither the $499/$599 PS3's were a paper launch, whereas for the PS5 the DE version is absolutely a paper launch and a gross minority of the console stock. It appears the system only exists to get that price out there and fuel price wars rather than have actual available stock that people can purchase.

I don't remember anyone in 2005 saying the Xbox 360 was $299.99 because that's what the 360 Core cost, on the contrary it was $399.99 because that was the actual feature complete Xbox 360 cost.

The shifting perspective for any kind of gain in ground is quite hilarious, we see you.

Yeah the 499 PS3 was actually not a bad deal. It had no wifi, but you shouldn't play on Wifi anyway and 360 had no wifi either (unless you bought the overpriced dongle upping the console to 499 effectively, and then you only had 13gb HDD space still.. with the charge kit it went over 499 if you did this). You could easily upgrade the PS3 HDD with a spare one and I think 160gb+ was already rather cheap back then. It had hardware emulation. But the 499 PS3 was never pushed and it was never released in Europe; we only got the 599 SKU and worse the hardware emulation was taken out.

All in all the PS3 was a clusterfuck. Europe had no 20gb, no hardware emulation in the 60gb. It was discontinued like half a year after Euro launch and replaced by the 40gb which had no Ps2 support at all but hey it was 399. For that you did get wifi, controllers with charge, 40gb (which I replaced with 160 straight after purchase) and free online play. It was a cheaper system than the 360 Premium imho because I didn't have to buy anything else for it and it had HDMI which was great because my TV didn't support 1080p over component. Blu Ray playback was another bonus, but a bad choice on Sony's part in hindsight.

The PS5 399 DE is available everywhere though, in fact its the one I bought. I don't plan on buying many games, will GP a lot of them, and I won't use discs anymore specially not after experiencing Quick resume. Dem prices will be something lol.

Last edited:

killatopak

That's not an accurate comparison imo. The PS5 without a disc drive relies on the internet to function. It would be more akin to an iPhone 12 model that only worked fully in the same prefix your phone number is in. It limits the usage of the device and makes it contingent on factors other than the physical performance of the machine itself.

Difference being there’s no actual change in what matters in a console which are the games. Performance is the same while different iphone models limit what you can do with the camera.

Really the only real downside here is if you are a movie buff and want to watch bluray movies.

It is, nothing different from it other than the UHD Blu-Ray drive.

Hey, I understand how you feel... the 20 GB PS3 with user replaceable HDD was very much a PS3 and it got shafted by the public opinion (in terms of playing PS3 games) and in a bit of a similar way the XSS also is not seen by many as a real next generation model and that is a bit unfair too (even though the base PS3 was a lot closer to the 60 GB PS3 model than XSS is to XSX).

From there to call the DE PS5 not the real PS5 because it lacks the UHD Blu-Ray drive or because it is out of stock for the moment seems a bit trollish or childish, pick one I guess.
Can you add a disc drive to the Digital Edition? No? It's not the PlayStation 5, the PlayStation 5 is $499.99 and is feature complete including the drive.

sincarra

Why is the PlayStation 5 suddenly "$399.99" when the PlayStation 3 was "$599 US Dollars"?

5OxwfW6.jpg

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Correct. It's a design-limited version of the actual console brought forth for price considerations and not in the best interests of all users. Same with the PS5 digital.
How is it not in the best interest of users exactly? That part isn't clear.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
By that same logic the Digital Edition is also not the "real console", because it's not, and this is made even worse by it being a paper launch.

The ironic situation in all of this is the never ending talk of rights, and physical media, game ownership and so on (especially from the PS community) and the same people who tout this logic of ownership fall on their sword to say the PS5 is $399.99 for a console they themselves would never buy.

For someone that was so so sure the XSS did not exist this “people are unfair to it, so mean” thread looks quite odd. What point are you trying to make?

Who is saying PS5 is $399 or $499? It is both, one model has a UHD drive which is the one I ordered and one does not which is the one I did not order.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

How is it not in the best interest of users exactly? That part isn't clear.
Again, because it limits the ability to deliver content to an internet connection, which can go out or be unreliable for any number of reasons. You guys are basically making the argument Microsoft made when the Xbone was going to be an always on console at first and the world took a giant shit on them for it. For some reason, now it's ok though?

Man this place makes me feel more retarded by the day
Somehow, I doubt that.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Digital Edition is not "the PlayStation 5".

Ok, I am game. What is it then? Does it play the same PS5 games from the PSN Store? Does it play the same PS4 games from a user PS4 digital library?

It does... ok, so I will ask again, if it is not a PS5 what is it?

killatopak

Again, because it limits the ability to deliver content to an internet connection, which can go out or be unreliable for any number of reasons. You guys are basically making the argument Microsoft made when the Xbone was going to be an always on console at first and the world took a giant shit on them for it. For some reason, now it's ok though?
The reason it’s okay now is because we have choice. For the Xbox One you had no choice.

People can prefer having their libraries digital or physical. We just don’t like one imposing their will on another.

7 years ago my online capabilites were shit

That's not an issue today so if Microsoft wants to go ahead with their OG xbox plan go for it.

dcx4610

Off the shelf PC parts, cheaper materials and I believe they are taking a financial hit in the hopes of people going digital. Sony makes very little money off selling actual hardware. The money comes from games. If they can get people to get digital, they end the used games market, control your content, charge whatever they want for games, have no manufacturing costs and get a much greater profit on digital content.

They can afford to lose $100 every time a digital console is sold if they wanted and make it up it up nearly with a single game sold.

Last edited:
You can't buy a PlayStation 5 for $399.99.

Lol what sort of nonsense is this? A lot of gamers bought Digital Editions, and are playing in Digital Editions, which were paid at $399.99. There is no ifs, or buts about this. It's a fact.

I mean the thread is a joke in itself (reactionary nonsense) but that comment takes the craziness to a whole new level.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I never made any such argument. But if a human being is literally never going to put a disc in their console then it makes sense for that human to have access to a console with no disc drive. It's not a difficult concept.

We get it. You like discs. You do you and let other people use modern methods of content delivery that have been reliable for more than a decade.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Hmm I got to ask, why PS3 was mistake outside of Europe? In here new PS3 after launch cost around 21k CZK, which is 940bucks in today's money, pretty much whole average monthly payment by that time. It was better to just buy a PC for that price....

Being brutally honest, your country isn’t a major market, or anything anyone considers. The territories that traditionally matter to gaming sales discourse are Japan, Europe/EU, and North America.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Difference being there’s no actual change in what matters in a console which are the games. Performance is the same while different iphone models limit what you can do with the camera.

Really the only real downside here is if you are a movie buff and want to watch bluray movies.
Eh, not really. Let's look at vehicles. If you have a hybrid that runs on gas and electric vs an all electric, the same argument that you're making could be made -- that the all electric version works just as well, which is true, but only if one can get to a charging station. If the power goes out or one isn't by a charging station you just go to a gas station with the hybrid.

It's a value proposition to the buyer, but when you consider that 1/4 of the population doesn't even have broadband, and even fewer still have decent broadband, it's a real problem.

HeresJohnny

I never made any such argument. But if a human being is literally never going to put a disc in their console then it makes sense for that human to have access to a console with no disc drive. It's not a difficult concept.

We get it. You like discs. You do you and let other people use modern methods of content delivery that have been reliable for more than a decade.
That's fine, but I still wouldn't call it a PS5. I'd consider it the PS5 equivalent of the Switch Lite

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Being brutally honest, your country isn’t a major market, or anything anyone considers. The territories that traditionally matter to gaming sales discourse are Japan, Europe/EU, and North America.
Obviously, I never pretend otherwise, but just wanted to ask why it was success in Europe because back then I was not really well versed on console market.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Obviously, I never pretend otherwise, but just wanted to ask why it was success in Europe because back then I was not really well versed on console market.

No, I’m saying the $599 price was accurate in Europe. Elsewhere, it was a mistake to call it a $599 system, when a just-as-good $499 version was available. That cheaper version never made it to Europe.

HeresJohnny

The reason it’s okay now is because we have choice. For the Xbox One you had no choice.

People can prefer having their libraries digital or physical. We just don’t like one imposing their will on another.
This is pretty fair, I guess. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

A bridge?

My turn... what does this look like to you?

Seriously, can you make a point please?
Since you refuse to answer a simple question I will provide the answer for you.

That is not a Yamaha R1, that is a Yamaha R1S. It's in the R1 family of motorcycles but it's a less feature complete bike. This comes with a cost differential, but not me or anyone else refer to it as the Yamaha R1, because it isn't..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom