• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the PlayStation 5 suddenly "$399.99" when the PlayStation 3 was "$599 US Dollars"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglet

Banned
the PS3 was a mixture of multiple things that caused its price to be so high.

- The Cell. new tech made by a partnership between Sony, IBM and Toshiba.
- The blue laser diode for Blu Ray was completely new/expensive to the market.
- The GPU was last minute and cost a lot to buy from Nvidia.

I think you missed OP’s point with this.

The DE is a paper launch. It's a tiny fraction of the stock which was released.
Maybe in the us, but in the uk DE was the last to sell out of 2, i think ms needs disk free xsx asap as no one cares about the xss, hell they even have stock of it in parts of europe.

Last edited:

tillbot8

Banned
Yes l bought PS3 for BluRay primarily as wanted to replace DVD. The PS3 however turned me to a console gamer thanks to the quality of Sony exclusive titles.
'Came for the Blu-ray, stayed for the games' that's an awesome way to become interested in our little hobby. I also used that argument before that depending on your needs the PS3 was the best valued cutting edge piece of tech on the market at the time. But it mostly fell on deaf ears!

jigglet

Banned
OP it's all about positioning.

$599 was the first thing they revealed, that's what stuck with the public.

Look at the Switch - remember how Nintendo were really cagey about whether it even had a touch screen? It was months after the reveal that we even got confirmation it had a touch screen. They wanted to separate it as far as possible from the Wii U. What you reveal first matters.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What does this look like to you?

45328229882_dba125de80_o.jpg
beautiful bike

Tschumi

ps3 cost heaps because it was stuffed full of a bunch of unique tech, including, originally, a discreet ps2 chipset for BC... i could be wrong. so u were basically buying two consoles in one box... later ps3s, amazingly, cost less.

Neo_game

It's a completely different piece of hardware intended to tackle a different display segment and sector of the market. It's like an RTX 2060 versus a 2080, they're a completely different product.

Not even close. RTX 2060 is a pretty decent card and will blow the SS out of the water. SS is more like GTX 1660

welsay01

Neo Member
That is not the PlayStation 5, the PlayStation 5 is $499.99.

That is an inferior model which is not feature matched to the competition.

So If I buy a Tesla Model 3 but without the autopilot or long range options, is it not a Model 3 anymore? What is it then?

Stuart360

Didnt want to reply to this thread as the console warring, mob mentality, at the moment is actually making me very down, which is why i havent posted much the past couuple of days (i have depression and its been effecting me lately).
BUT Dynamite is right, and its something i had a 'discussion' about in the Next Gen thread a few days ago. The whole '$399' thing started a few days ago, right about the time the first comparisons were about to drop. Its obvious it was a defence mechanism in case PS5 was behind the XSX in the comparisons, 'Of course the PS5 is behind, its $100 cheaper!', etc.
Its disingenous. The Main PS5 is $500, just the same as XSX. And i doubt Xbox fans would be allowed to get away with it if the roles were reverse and it was XSX that came with 2 models, one without a drive, and the main console.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Lol the ps5 isn't a paper launch. I got one rtx after almost two months, that was a paper launch, I won't tell how many ps5 consoles I could order or a lot of people will run after me with pitchforks

Unknown?

Didnt want to reply to this thread as the console warring, mob mentality, at the moment is actually making me very down, which is why i havent posted much the past couuple of days (i have depression and its been effecting me lately).
BUT Dynamite is right, and its something i had a 'discussion' about in the Next Gen thread a few days ago. The whole '$399' thing started a few days ago, right about the time the first comparisons were about to drop. Its obvious it was a defence mechanism in case PS5 was behind the XSX in the comparisons, 'Of course the PS5 is behind, its $100 cheaper!', etc.
Its disingenous. The Main PS5 is $500, just the same as XSX. And i doubt Xbox fans would be allowed to get away with it if the roles were reverse and it was XSX that came with 2 models, one without a drive, and the main console.
Nah, I'd refer you to this post.

For players who only play digital versions, the PS5 Digital is not an inferior product. The 499 PS3 and the 299 Xbox 360 were inferior products.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I’m sorry but this is one of the most embarrassing threads that an adult can make. I cannot believe that this thread wasn’t made by a teenager or younger.

Plain and simple it is a discless PS5. To say anything other than that you have to be purposely obtuse. I can’t believe I actually read this.

If this person is an adult they need to take a breath, go outside and live some real life for a few minutes. I am stunned beyond all belief.

Last edited:

Rac3r

The digital PS5 isn't the same as the 360 Core. While I personally prefer the option of a disc drive, the gaming industry is shifting towards a mostly digital future, and the digital SKU makes sense for those who prefer the convenience of digital games. The average consumer will get the same experience with either SKU, it's simply preference.

Whereas Microsoft's 360 Core didn't support HDMI or include an external HDD, HD cables, or a wireless controller. Those are all experience-changing features that would affect the average consumer.

Sony's decision is a forward-looking one while Microsoft took away good features/accessories for the sake of selling a cheaper unit.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Oh my god, stop with this nonsense.

There is no "main" PS5. There is a PS5 lacking a feature and one that isn't. They are both PS5's. Jesus christ

The Digital Edition is a paper launch, not the PlayStation 5.

What is based off of? Both of them being sold out?

Last edited:

Codeblew

For me, the main PS5 is $399. I don't need a blu-ray drive.

Malcolm9

Geez, this thread 😆.

They are both PS5's, one just gives the option of not having a disc drive at a cheaper price. Everything else is the same, so unlike the Series S you won't get borked versions of games.

Now, I just need to find a PS5 Digital version in stock, take my money Sony!.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Because it is a console you can buy at an official price of $599 which is ridiculous and still hunts them to this day.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Because of BluRay. Isn't this common knowledge? Just look at the price of standalone BR players at that time.

Sony wanted to push the new format and even with 600 bucks launch price paid dearly for that.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Because they though they could get away with selling the PS3 to 599. Some of the spokesmen back than even had the balls to say at they could even sell it with controllers sold separately and people would still buy them.

The only reason Sony doesn't sell that high today is they fear they can't get away with it.

I'd say they could have. Upping games prices 20 euro and people doesn't even talk about it indicates people are willing to pay way more.

cireza

Banned
Looks like people are more kin about making fun of OP, rather than actually understanding the message, which is pretty clear by the way.

Back then, everyone referred to PS3 as being 600$, this is absolutely true. Even though there was a 500$ model as well.
Today, it seems that people say that the PS5 is only 400$. I don't really know about that though. Is it really the case ?

This would actually be kind of a biased shift in the way the console is seen in the community, if true.

timmyp53

The quantities released...
I wouldn't be surprised about this being true but honestly you are just making assumptions since we don't have the numbers. When I ordered my ps5 direct through Sony. PS5 digital remained available for significantly longer in the store. We don't have the figures. It's a bit premature to call anything a paper launch without the facts.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not in EU.

There were +20 units of S in biggest local electronic store today and their site statistics show thay there are hundreds of units in warehouse and at least half of their physical stores have them on the shelf. Heard similar reports from Sweden + Slovakia too.

USA isnt the whole world, and if MS cant compete on EU+Asia, they always sell less

I'm from England. You checked eBay in your country to see if it's worth buying some and reselling? In the UK they're going for a ludicrous markup.

vkbest

I'm seeing this divergence in logic quite a bit in the fanboy fodder around here seeking to have an edge against the Series X and its $499.99 price point, which is only feature matched by the equal in cost PlayStation 5 itself.

There was a $499.99 PS3 at the time in 2006, that was always a thing and yet the focus was $599.99 and nothing else. The most anachronous bit of logic in the situation is that neither the $499/$599 PS3's were a paper launch, whereas for the PS5 the DE version is absolutely a paper launch and a gross minority of the console stock. It appears the system only exists to get that price out there and fuel price wars rather than have actual available stock that people can purchase.

I don't remember anyone in 2005 saying the Xbox 360 was $299.99 because that's what the 360 Core cost, on the contrary it was $399.99 because that was the actual feature complete Xbox 360 cost.

The shifting perspective for any kind of gain in ground is quite hilarious, we see you.

PS5 is $399 and $499 because PS3 was $599 at release. They had to drop the price to $399 in less of a year from release. You usually compare the release prices.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Because the price is the reason why they lost so many PS2 customers and Microsoft lost so many 360 customers. Price at launch > everything else.

DESTROYA

Looks like people are more kin about making fun of OP, rather than actually understanding the message, which is pretty clear by the way.

Back then, everyone referred to PS3 as being 600$, this is absolutely true. Even though there was a 500$ model as well.
Today, it seems that people say that the PS5 is only 400$. I don't really know about that though. Is it really the case ?

This would actually be kind of a biased shift in the way the console is seen in the community, if true.
Look I’m not seeing anyone but the OP saying the PS5 is going for $399, anyone thats halfway interested and pays some attention to the hardware in next gen consoles knows there are 2 models the disc less $399 model and the the $499 BR disc model , in either case both will play PS5 games the same exact way with the same performance saying one isn’t a PS5 makes the OP sound obtuse.

Everyone knows why...the arcade 360 and 20GB PS3 were seen as gimped pieces of hardware you'd have to spend more on. The 399 and 499 PS5s are the exact same for anyone that is digital only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom