• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is there not another Max Payne? Or even games remotely close them?

I tried to replay Max Payne 1&2 like 2-3 years ago, but it was a painful return, the gameplay simply didn't age well at all, the whole bullet time that was the main selling point back then is what IMO makes the game boring nowadays, instead of having intense action the combat is soooo sloooooooow... But if if anything, Quantum Break is MP's natural success, I recommend trying it out.

I will try quantum. But dude the gameplay has aged like fine wine compared to every other shooter from that era. I still have a blast on them.

GymWolf

Well yeah but those first 2 games set a really unique tone and just felt different. Max Payne 3 is just a really good third person shooter. Just my opinion anyway.
I was with you not against you.

But it also depends if you care more about gameplay or story\atmosphere.

really good tps may be a bit reductive tho, gameplay was fabolous.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I will try quantum. But dude the gameplay has aged like fine wine compared to every other shooter from that era. I still have a blast on them.
don't expect near the same quality as a tps in quantum, the power were kinda fun but the movements and shoting were kinda stiff, also if i remember well, you don't actually shoot all the time in that game, you have like 20-25 enemy encounters in the whole game? sometimes with groups of 4-5 enemies.

Not a game that i would personally advise for people who is in search for a more pure tps experience.

If you haven't tried the game yet, remnant from the ashes has very good tps mechanics and cool weapons, but it also has an rpg part with armours, skills etc.

Last edited:
There were a bunch of attempts during the 7th generation, but too few bought them: Stranglehold, WET, NeverDead and Vanquish had elements of Max Payne in their gameplay. Its the kind of game that unfortunately, seems to cater to a narrow audience. I really dig it too and would like to see more of it.

As far as I know Max Payne 3 really tanked in sales and took the studio behind it along down with it. Btw, Max Payne 3 is pretty good. It could've been better had it not been hampered by an obscene amount of unskippable cutscenes.

I consider Max Payne 3 to be the greatest TPS of all time. Everything about the game does it for me. From the visual style to the storyline that feels like a Michael Mann film, it’s got it all. Alcoholic, sad sack fucked up Max feels like my spirit animal.

The difficulty settings are amazing too. On the higher levels you have to completely adapt the way you play to another style that is equally as interesting as it is realistic. Check your corners, only use bullet time when you have to, and fly like an eagle as you glory-kill headshot goons in the most satisfying ways imaginable. You know you got a headshot when blood spurts and shoots out of your attackers face. When you kill the last guy in a group/room, the game does the Sniper Elite style bullet fly, hits the guy in slow motion, then you can hammer down the trigger to pump more lead into the fucker.

10/10, check it out.

Concern

Im playing through Max Payne 3 rn and it definitely has aged well gameplay wise. No other games gunplay comes close in recent memory.

Im enjoying tf out of it tbh. Backwards Compatiblity sale made me give it another run after 10 years. Recommended for anyone who missed out. Im not even much of a Backwards Compatiblity person but im glad i went back.

Sygma

I can understand why R*/Take two aren't bothered with Max Payne. Narrative based, conventional titles that don't have the pull of open world sanboxes with tacked on money making online modes aren't exactly in their current scope...

But are there any games that come close to Max Payne in terms of satisfying third person gunplay

Quantum Break was extremely satisfying in that department. Now its not nearly as noir or in the same department than Payne but yeah

edit : this one really flew under the radar but the gunplay was really good

Last edited:
A lot of people wait until Winter time. They get cozy and comfortable with blankets and maybe hot chocolate. There might be a dog or cat snuggling into them for warmth and comfort. They load up their Super Nintendo Entertainment System, SNESticle, SNES Mini, XBONE w/RETROARCH, Grandmother’s Christmas Present AKA a fuckin Chromebook, and get teary-eyed as The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past loads with that harmonic, harpe twinkle. Three triangles form the “Tri-Force”.

I’m sitting in 1026 degree Texas summertime. Air conditioner is on the FRITZ. Load up Max Payne 3 on OLD SCHOOL DIFFICULTIES. My cat’s in the hospital because he has crystals in his piss. You ever had a cat like that? Man, now I’ve got to get him specialized food? What does that even mean?

And I’m scared. Shitless, you know?

My cat, fuck me I love that bastard.

Tabby, looks like every other tabby but in your heart of hearts you know you could pick him out of a lineup.

Anyway his puss crystals ceased and I played Max Payne 3 in the worst possible circumstances and it’s still INCREDIBLE.

10/10 check it out

PS
Controller setting TYPE 4 for best results.

A lot of people wait until Winter time. They get cozy and comfortable with blankets and maybe hot chocolate. There might be a dog or cat snuggling into them for warmth and comfort. They load up their Super Nintendo Entertainment System, SNESticle, SNES Mini, XBONE w/RETROARCH, Grandmother’s Christmas Present AKA a fuckin Chromebook, and get teary-eyed as The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past loads with that harmonic, harpe twinkle. Three triangles form the “Tri-Force”.

I’m sitting in 1026 degree Texas summertime. Air conditioner is on the FRITZ. Load up Max Payne 3 on OLD SCHOOL DIFFICULTIES. My cat’s in the hospital because he has crystals in his piss. You ever had a cat like that? Man, now I’ve got to get him specialized food? What does that even mean?

And I’m scared. Shitless, you know?

My cat, fuck me I love that bastard.

Tabby, looks like every other tabby but in your heart of hearts you know you could pick him out of a lineup.

Anyway his puss crystals ceased and I played Max Payne 3 in the worst possible circumstances and it’s still INCREDIBLE.

10/10 check it out

PS
Controller setting TYPE 4 for best results.
Every time I start to seriously consider getting a cat, someone always brings up these weird ass stories about their cats. Maybe I should just feed the strays.

.Pennywise

Banned
Narrative based, conventional titles that don't have the pull of open world sanboxes with tacked on money making online modes aren't exactly in their current scope...

But are there any games that come close to Max Payne in terms of satisfying third person gunplay?
Quantum Break and Control

Allforce

I feel like "bullet-time" was an awesome feature that everyone universally loved...except game developers somehow.

Like some are still doing it and making a buck, there's about 19 Sniper Elite games at this point but literally every one is WW2-era. Make a modern sniper game where I just post up and make amazing shots in slo-mo!

There's a great Hitman game called "Hitman Sniper Assassin" that does the "sit back and shoot" stuff, but no bullet time. I don't even think you can buy it, it was a pre-order bonus for the PS4 main title.

DustQueen

Banned
MP3 took 6 years to develope by a huge team n did not make enough money.
Rockstar decided that spending this kinda money on GTA/RDR n focusing on them is a better idea.
and 140 million copies of GTA 5 say they were kinda right

Although the despite Houser turning Max into cynical, nihilistic, cringey fuck the game it self is very well put together.

Von Hugh

There's a new bullet time-y FPS coming up (maybe) some time:

And then there's of course also Stranglehold if you are willing to go back to the PS3/360 era of games:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Unfortunately, since Max Payne 1 & 2, Remedy's games haven't been as good. Max Payne 3 was decent, I haven't played it since 2012. I was thinking of picking it up for ps3 for peanuts

Three

I can understand why R*/Take two aren't bothered with Max Payne. Narrative based, conventional titles that don't have the pull of open world sanboxes with tacked on money making online modes aren't exactly in their current scope...

But are there any games that come close to Max Payne in terms of satisfying third person gunplay? Why aren't there ANY games that come close...Max Payne 1 came out in 2001. You can play it on PC now and it still feels amazing. We have celebrated third person games, but lets be real on a mechanical level none of them come close to what max payne achieved in terms of player agency and gameplay satisfaction.

Here is a video showing an example of what I'm talking about:

Only games I can historically think of that tried are stranglehold and wet...which was a long time ago. Am I just an old niche market idiot? Do gamers these days not actually value gameplay? Are we all much happier watching cut scenes and still having to use lock on because free aim is still god awful(rdr2 & tbh UC4 free aim was dogshit)?

Maybe I'm just missing out on some gems that exist which scratch that itch or that there are some exciting projects coming out that will. Any ideas/suggestions? Help me out before I replay Max Payne trilogy again.

There isn't another GTA and you're asking why there isn't another max payne? The whole industry has moved to GaaS crap.

Last edited:
the 3rd is amazing, fucking love the dialogue and the attitude of max giving no fucks. Gameplay is still unmatched. Multiplayer was great too until the unbalanced dlc ruined everything.
Quantum Break comes a helluva lot closer to MP than Control. ;) Has bullet time in many flavors. :)

Bragr

Banned
Didn't Max Payne 2 bomb like a motherfucker and it's copies Stranglehold and WET bombed even harder? I rememeber people talking about the gameplay being "overdone and outplayed", I'm pretty sure that whole style of game was shunned.

marquimvfs

I just don't get all that love that MP3 gets, it's really bad compared to the first 2 entries. After the the bad entry and a commercial failure, it made sense they abandoned the ship, specially if it was the direction they wanted to pursue with the franchise.

Top Bottom