• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Koko Couldn't Talk

I've always shared the Aristotle's belief that humans are "rational animals" in the sense that language, not biology is what defines human nature. We differ from animals in our ability to express and share abstract ideas. As such, our beliefs about good and evil are derived from our mutual ability to communicate. Humans who are not part of society, either degrade into animals or ascend to godhood. We all know that the former is more likely than the latter.

In that context I stumbled over this very interesting video about Koko, a Gorilla that was supposed to understand human sign language. Koko was some kind of media sensation that led the general public to believe that primates are capable of complex linguistic interactions. Robin Williams was known for having a deep bond with Koko and often referenced her in his stand up comedy.

1D274906559371-today-robin-williams-koko-140812.jpg

The video gives us a fascinating insight into our own human nature, our deeply rooted desire to find our equals and how scientific bias and media sensationalism can lead to some pretty horrific misconceptions.

The video touches on the fundamental debate between Skinner and Chomsky. Skinner believed that we learn language through behavioral conditioning. We receive rewards for using language right and we are punished for using it wrong. Chomsky on the other hand believed that language is an innate human ability, something that cannot be simply learned through imitation.

For a very long time, Koko seemed to suggest that Skinner was right. Language is nothing more but copying behavior, something that can be instilled through conditioning. But recent research made clear that Koko never really understood the signs she was using. She merely cycled through signs until she got the reward that she was looking for. In other words, Chomsky and Aristotle were right that language is something very specific to human nature.

What I find interesting about the story is that it also tells us a lot about how wishful thinking and idealism can lead us to severe misconceptions about reality. As a human species, we feel alone and want to make meaningful connections with other life-forms. What we failed to understand is that we did not try to approach Koko as what she was, a Gorilla, but that we wanted to make her more like ourselves. We ultimately ended up trying to make Koko more human instead of respecting the Gorilla's own nature.

The video finally touches upon the moving story of Helen Keller, a deaf and blind woman who learned to write and speak at the turn of the century. For her the gift of language was a magical thing and something she ended up cherishing immensely:

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. [...] The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision.

Our good intentions brought suffering upon Koko by anthropomorphizing her. In one instance for example, Koko is used to spread an environmental message that is totally fabricated. The people who were supposed to take care of her, ended up turning her into a business. What the world is and what we want it to be are two very different things. Confusing both often leads to even more suffering.

So let us use our special talent for good, let us use our language to inspire instead to condition.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The video touches on the fundamental debate between Skinner and Chomsky. Skinner believed that we learn language through behavioral conditioning. We receive rewards for using language right and we are punished for using it wrong. Chomsky on the other hand believed that language is an innate human ability, something that cannot be simply learned through imitation.
All I know is the typical dog or cat is smart enough to come to you if you call its name. No reward necessary.

Reminds me of the experiment where they tried to teach dolphins English. One of the male dolphins fell in love(?) with his female trainer, and after he was moved to a different lab he committed suicide by drowning, supposedly because he couldn't meet her anymore.

Reminds me of the experiment where they tried to teach dolphins English. One of the male dolphins fell in love(?) with his female trainer, and after he was moved to a different lab he committed suicide by drowning, supposedly because he couldn't meet her anymore.

Oh you mean Dr. John Lilly? Yeah that one's really screwed up.

dr_octagon

Banned
is this the woman who put the screw in the tuna?

i read an article about this a few years ago, my brain didn't compute how anyone thought this was a good idea even when using LSD

StormCell

Honestly, OP, I figured gorillas were more intelligent that dogs. Dogs can learn quite a large number of words and even ask questions. That's too bad about Koko.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I'm not one to entirely disagree with Chomsky, but I don't think language is necessarily innate. I think the human brain has evolved to better utilize language and absorb it easier. But if you put two humans in a vacuum until they're adults, they won't have language abilities and will Hve to find some other way to communicate

I don't intend to derail the topic. (It is an interesting one.)

It brought to mind my own love hate relationship with language - all abstraction really. It's so useful in the sense of sharing information and ideas on the one hand, but on the other, as soon as you enter its domain, you have left reality in trade for that symbology. In exchange for concepts, you lose an element of reality - the indefinable reality which cannot be articulated, only experienced directly without labels that distance from pure experience.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wait... Let me ask... Is language ONLY spoken? Like with sounds?
Who knows what these scientists and researchers are thinking about learning and language, but I bet it probably has to do with a creature learning basic things like whats a circle or triangle, or a monkey describe to them how they feel in a human way. So as the OP's post said, humans looking for human reactions in other creatures.

Just to show how much all these scientists are looking into things too much, all you got to do to any toddler, dog, cat or bear you encounter in the wild camping is raise your hands wide like youre Dracula, growl and look like youre going to attack, and just about every creature with an IQ above 5 will see that communication as danger and some fucking thing on two feet is ready to come at them ready for a fight. So it's time to either run or stand your ground and fight back..

No need for research, learning, or trying to understand if animals or humans are based on learned states or not.

What these scientists seem to be doing is trying to make it human centric, so when an animal gets it wrong theyll probably claim animals are dumb and know nothing because they cant understand human things.

Yet at 5 am when birds start chirping, humans have no clue what they are saying. It's just a bunch of random chirps. But who knows, it might be real and understood sounds birds do which they understand, but we cant. Just because humans are the only ones with written, spoken and sign language all wrapped up in 1000 page dictionaries doesn't mean animals dont know or cant learn languages. They just cant learn human language like we can. Which is the same as humans dont understand animal language and think animal noises are just a bunch of random grunts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom