• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Mortal Kombat Deception is the best fighting game story and how it can prepare Netherealm for a new IP.

(took forever to find a video of Konquest mode in good quality and without someone yacking)

Mortal Kombat Deception was what I was expecting MK11 to be. For years a return of Konquest Mode has been circulating but it never happened. With MK11 taking place after MK4 and the Deadly Alliance dead, it was expected this would be the game that would remake Deceptions Action Adventure Konquest mode with better animation, immersive graphics, and a much longer game.

Instead we had MK4.5 Electric time travel bugaboo.

However, with Midway...err... Neatherealm wanting to make a new IP (but for some reason ignoring the rest of the midway catalog) a new Adventure Mk game would prepare them for a new game in the genre of either Action Adventure or RPG.

As you can see in the video, Mk Deceptions Storyline plays like an Action Adventure game outside fights. You can talk with numerous characters, be immersed by the environment and explore all 6 realms. Yes, there are more than 3 realms.

Following Shujinko you go on an epic quest through his child hood until his senior life collecting the Kamidogu for the "Elder Gods" or so it would seem.

Having a Story mode where you as Sub/Scorp/Jax/liu/kung etc. Exploring the realms with great voice acting and 4k graphics would be an amazing game. It would also set the ground work for a new IP.

Deception so far is/was the longest Story mode in fighting game history (if you're not speed running) and the idea of combining fighting with Adventure was well received, but limitations of the time caused a few issues here and there. With today's tech though it could go a long way.

They really need to go back to this and I don't understand why they won't. Watching hours of cinematics will never be as fun as actually playing a game.

It was well received and have a feeling the fanbase would love a return to a story mode like this.

Kacho

Gold Member
Watching that clip makes me realize how much I miss the oriental, Kung-Fu movie vibe of the older games. The series has turned into generic, action movie schlock.

Last edited:
Watching that clip makes me realize how much I miss the oriental, Kung-Fu movie vibe of the older games. The series has turned into generic, action movie schlock.

I don't think the current direction Mortal Kombat is going in, is generally bad (aside from the grinding), but I do agree that the older games wore their Kung Fu movie influence on their shirts. One of the reasons why the original Mortal Kombat movie was generaly liked, because it was esentually a emake of Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon with Mortal Kombat aesthetics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom