• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why no Batman Beyond game?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
435636.jpg

I'm sure both Gotham Knights and Justice League vs the Suicide Squad will be decent games (well maybe not). But lets be honest, a AAA budget Arkham-style Batman Beyond would've been the dopest shit. New rogues gallery. New gadgets. More agile movement. And most importantly an incredible new dark cyberpunk environment to greatly differentiate it from the other Arkham titles. Perfect way to followup Arkham Knight if you ask me.

Did the cartoon not do well? Do kids nowadays even know what Batman Beyond is?

SScorpio

A more interesting game would be one based on the Batman Beyond spinoff The Zeta Project.

The main character is an Assassin Robot with the ability to holographically disguise himself. But he gains sentience and is on the run from the government.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
We can't even get Beyond on the big screen. Never mind video games.
I think the most recent movie The Batman, would have worked a lot better if it was Batman Beyond. The actor seemed a lot more like Terry McGinnis than Bruce Wayne.
yZrZGPi.jpg

4ZfT6OR.jpg

And then they could have had Micheal Keaton reprise his role as old man Bruce Wayne!

t878vWd.jpg

NcZqooS.png

But yeah, I think a game could be cool as long as it isn't in the "Arkham-verse".

CamHostage

At the time, a lot of older kids and cranky man-children complained about Batman Beyond because it had a sugar-pops kid under the cowl and they made the great Bruce from the Animated Series into a withered old man (apparently, Batman was supposed to live forever...?) Since then, the fanbase has grown up and have reclaimed it (and/or have nostalgia for it, depending on who you ask.)

Whether you have fond memories for this series or missed/skipped/hated it, the fact of its status is that the Batman Beyond brand peaked with the animated series that wasn't a peak for Batman in general, and so maybe there's enough call to launch in on that as a major arm of Batman legacy again. Like, there was a lot of questions as to why Gotham Knights wasn't just Terry McGinnis team-up game (there have been Batman Beyond comics in fits and starts over the years, and the upcoming Batman Beyond: Neo Year will be set in a post-Bruce Wayne Gotham,) but it probably makes as much sense to do something new than to tie into that cartoon. I feel for your imagination to see cool things done in gaming with the Batman Beyond sub-universe, but you could say that for a lot of characters and it just doesn't always happen.

Also, it did spawn at least one game. (There might have also been a Game Boy game, I don't remember?) It did not turn out well, however, and overall it was a bad time for Batman games since Kemco had the license.

A9kOjUJ.jpg

Last edited:

hinch7

I think the most recent movie The Batman, would have worked a lot better if it was Batman Beyond. The actor seemed a lot more like Terry McGinnis than Bruce Wayne.
yZrZGPi.jpg

4ZfT6OR.jpg

And then they could have had Micheal Keaton reprise his role as old man Bruce Wayne!

t878vWd.jpg

NcZqooS.png

But yeah, I think a game could be cool as long as it isn't in the "Arkham-verse".
Yeah Robert Pattinson would better for Terry Mcginnis, than Bruce Wayne. But I think he's too old for that (he's 36 now). If they were going to do a proper origins story the chosen actor would have to be in his teens, or at least look like it.

Keaton reprising his role would be wonderful and a brilliant move. That or someone like Josh Brolin; who funnily enough, lost the role to Ben Affleck to play Batman in the Snyder movies.

Last edited:

Larxia

I liked the original animated series, but everytime I see new, modern versions of Beyond, I always think it looks quite bad and completely different to the original, not similar at all. Therefore I'm not sure if I would want a Batman Beyond game if it followed that logic.

For example :
Original look :
Mu5tU6w.png

And here are the "Beyond" outfits for Gotham Knights :
ZWYz0Fi.png

Or here is the Beyond suit in Arkham Knight:
WDsK7cAOjw6PtbZx2iKq3woj7ydD1Czd.png

It doesn't look similar at all to me. They always seem to go for either an "organic" suit type of thing, which I don't like, or making the characters look like demons.
I never understood what was up with that, because a lot of people say they love Beyond, but what I see of Beyond never reminds me of Beyond actually, so it's really weird.
Everytime they try to modernize the Beyond look, it just looks ugly to me.

Something like this would be more decent, even if the face is weird:
batman-urban-legends-7-batman-beyond-1272981-1-e1624287157938.jpeg

But if they managed to make it look good, then yes I would be totally up for a Batman Beyond game. The batman atmosphere mixed with a dark slight futuristic tone works really great. I don't know if Batman Beyond is popular enough for that though.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Yeah Robert Pattinson would better for Terry Mcginnis, than Bruce Wayne. But I think he's too old for that (he's 36 now). If they were going to do a proper origins story the chosen actor would have to be in his teens, or at least look like it.

Keaton reprising his role would be wonderful and a brilliant move. That or someone like Josh Brolin; who funnily enough, lost the role to Ben Affleck to play Batman in the Snyder movies.
True that the actor is too old to play the original version of Terry, but they don't have to stick to the source material exactly. At any rate, Marvel, Fox, and Sony have shown they are willing to be more adventurous with their cinematic universe while DC, Warner Brothers continues to struggle in many ways (at least in my opinion).

Last edited:

kingpotato

I liked the original animated series, but everytime I see new, modern versions of Beyond, I always think it looks quite bad and completely different to the original, not similar at all. Therefore I'm not sure if I would want a Batman Beyond game if it followed that logic.

For example :
Original look :
Mu5tU6w.png

And here are the "Beyond" outfits for Gotham Knights :
ZWYz0Fi.png

Or here is the Beyond suit in Arkham Knight:
WDsK7cAOjw6PtbZx2iKq3woj7ydD1Czd.png

It doesn't look similar at all to me. They always seem to go for either an "organic" suit type of thing, which I don't like, or making the characters look like demons.
I never understood what was up with that, because a lot of people say they love Beyond, but what I see of Beyond never reminds me of Beyond actually, so it's really weird.
Everytime they try to modernize the Beyond look, it just looks ugly to me.

Something like this would be more decent, even if the face is weird:
batman-urban-legends-7-batman-beyond-1272981-1-e1624287157938.jpeg

But if they managed to make it look good, then yes I would be totally up for a Batman Beyond game. The batman atmosphere mixed with a dark slight futuristic tone works really great. I don't know if Batman Beyond is popular enough for that though.
I agree and would also remind people that they had a Batman Beyond DLC outfit for Arkham City as well.
rHHiJXZ.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Another point, just because something is good in one medium, doesn’t mean it needs to be translated to another format.

Very true. But i was just thinking another simple stab at the Arkham formula would work. Open world full of thug gangs, sidequests and collectables to find, the major villains spread out across as bosses and story events (Blight, Inque, Spellbinder, Royal Flush Gang), unlocking gadgets as you go along, maybe the Batwing even to fly around. Nothin fancy, just more Batman lol

AJUMP23

Very true. But i was just thinking another simple stab at the Arkham formula would work. Open world full of thug gangs, sidequests and collectables to find, the major villains spread out across as bosses and story events (Blight, Inque, Spellbinder, Royal Flush Gang), unlocking gadgets as you go along, maybe the Batwing even to fly around. Nothin fancy, just more Batman lol
I would like a fully rendered cartoon city. But if something is good in one format it can also be good in another format too.

i’d love for them to do an open world game in the same vain as the Arkham games but 100% in the style of the old Bruce Timm animated series. With the block shadows and red sky and retro-metropolitan Gotham.

Just 100% mimic the animated style. I feel like it was hard to do it back in the day but now it’s probably a lot easier.

batman-batman-the-animated-series.gif

Batman Beyond was great. Haven’t watched it in forever but I loved it when it first came out. Just seemed not so great when compared to TAS, but TAS was pretty much perfect. Doesn’t mean Batman Beyond was crap. It was pretty good IMO.

Edit: think I’m going to give Beyond a rewatch to see how well it stands up to the test of time

Last edited:
Top Bottom