• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why ratchet and clank rift apart is disappointing (for a long time series fan)

I went in expecting a Ratchet & Clank game, the same way I have with every release since playing the original back in the day, and got exactly what i expected.

Thaedolus

It's a 7-7,5\10 game with a 15/10 graphical aspect.
That's kinda how I felt about it. I bought it because it's supposed to be the showpiece for the PS5, but I have no connection to R&C previously and had just got done with Miles Morales and it just felt...boring? Graphically it was amazing, but the gameplay just felt so same-y that it couldn't hold my attention. I don't normally sell games but I traded it in for Returnal. I'd like to see the graphics again now that I have a 4K OLED but otherwise I have no interest in going back to it.

I agree that the game was flawed, but much of the complaining in the video is that the game was disappointing because it wasn't the old ratchet games from the PS2 games... It gets some things right but the majority of it is just an old man yelling in the wind.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Kinda standard fair for new console launch year games, little gameplay inovation and relatively small scale but an opportunity to show the graphical caperbility of the new system.

AndrewRyan

I loved it. Got the plat. I played on a harder difficulty and to me it felt like an easier Returnal, which was a nice break from playing Returnal. If you notice, they basically have the same control scheme and even some of the bosses do similar attacks. Like the shooting, dodge with i-frames, melee, jump, etc. All the same buttons.
Was switching back and fourth between them and mapped the controls to match (which screws up throwing the wrench, but worth it). Dash is definitely my favorite new feature to R&C. Rift isn't as smooth, especially transitioning from a dash-melee, but remarkable how similar they feel. Both have the slow incoming projectiles and the sweet, sweet haptic triggers!

As much as I enjoy Rift Apart also agree there's some degree of fun missing or diminished but can't really articulate why, so appreciate this video.

The combat feels a little off with how often you have to switch weapons due to running out of ammo. It messes up the combat flow since you're always pausing on the weapon wheel to pick the next one.

DJ12

I Platinumed it, but I think I made a mistake playing 2016 with the 60fps update right before it because I think 2016 was more fun and memorable, especially the final boss fight. The Clank puzzles in 2016 were a lot more fun than the ones in Rift Apart as well.
I thought that too, until I discovered 120 hz mode, changed the game playing at 40 fps.

Got to the last battle, waiting for my son to behave as he loves watching the boss battles.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I Platinumed it, but I think I made a mistake playing 2016 with the 60fps update right before it because I think 2016 was more fun and memorable, especially the final boss fight. The Clank puzzles in 2016 were a lot more fun than the ones in Rift Apart as well.

No, the other games are just better. Really the only thing Rift Apart has going for it are the two new characters (who I *did* enjoy for the most part, and would have enjoyed more if they were in a better written script) and graphics. Its level design is incredibly simplistic, its gameplay just has so little side content and extra stuff to do. It feels like a tech demo like AstroBot, but at least that one was filled with passion and love about PlayStation’s history. I felt nothing like that in this game.

Last edited:

aclar00

Ill add nothing of substance to this conversation by saying it's the first Ratchet and Clank ive actually played and got into. My son and I enjoyed it.

Everything is better in the new game.

But Ratchet’s personality is underwhelming. They really should bring Jak and Daxter into the next game.

Top Bottom