• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Resident Evil Village's DLC Reveal Could Take Place Next Month

Airbus Jr

Banned

Why Resident Evil Village's DLC Reveal Could Take Place Next Month​

With Resident Evil Village's first anniversary just around the corner, Capcom may finally release, or at least reveal, the game's upcoming DLC.

resident-evil-village-dlc-may

With Resident Evil Village's first anniversary just around the corner, Capcom may finally release, or at least reveal, the game's upcoming DLC.

It is no secret that the Resident Evil franchise has been active over the past few years, with the release of Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 remakes in 2019 and 2020, respectively, followed by Resident Evil Village in 2021. However, despite the fast turnover of mainline Resident Evil games, fans still have one question in mind: Where is Resident Evil Village's DLC?

Due to Resident Evil Village's positive reception and impressive sales performance, Capcom decided to develop a DLC expansion to the latest entry in the Resident Evil franchise. Unfortunately, almost a year later, the studio still hasn't given fans any concrete update on the status of the highly-anticipated expansion. However, there may be a glimmer of hope that the Resident Evil Village DLC is coming sooner than later.

Resident Evil Village's First Anniversary May Prove Significant for the DLC​

alt=Resident-Evil-Village-Where-Is-The-DLC-Capcom-Lady-Dimitrescu-1

Luckily for Resident Evil fans who eagerly anticipate the DLC's release, the month of May should be something to keep an eye on. First, it is worth remembering that May 7 is the first anniversary of Resident Evil Village. While Capcom hasn't revealed any plans for the game's first anniversary (apart from cryptic teases), the studio can use this milestone to tease or possibly release the long-awaited DLC.

Instead, the studio only decided to do it after Resident Evil Village's commercial and critical success, so the DLC could take longer since Capcom would have to conceptualize what the expansion would be about first. As previously mentioned, Capcom hasn't announced any plans for Resident Evil Village's first anniversary. However, given that the studio announced a Resident Evil Village DLC expansion previously, it is possible for Capcom to at least provide a concrete teaser and/or release date. Even better, the studio may surprise fans by releasing Resident Evil Village's DLC on the day of its first anniversary.

The State of Resident Evil Village's DLC Expansion​

alt=resident evil village chris redfield

Apart from announcing Resident Evil Village's DLC at E3 2021, Capcom has remained silent on its development, what fans could expect from it, and its release date. However, in typical Capcom fashion, the studio has released several cryptic posts on its social media accounts that many believe are clues surrounding the DLC expansion of Resident Evil Village.

Last March, Capcom released a post saying, "a rat can't run from the dragon's claws!" coupled with an image of Resident Evil Village's Lady Dimitrescu. Naturally, with the post showing a prominent character from the game, fans assumed that an update on the DLC was imminent. Unfortunately, months have passed, and Capcom remained silent.

Despite the many cryptic posts and cruel teases, it doesn't appear that the development of Resident Evil Village's DLC is in hot water. As previously mentioned, the game is just about to approach its first year, and usually, DLC expansions that contain additional storylines take some time to make. While Capcom remains silent about what the DLC could involve, it will likely take place around events that happened during (or after) the game that players didn't witness. A popular theory is an expansion on Chris Redfield's journey in Resident Evil Village. However, some speculate that the DLC could be a primer for the next mainline installment in the Resident Evil franchise.

Matt_Fox

I loved Village but I don't really see a point in releasing a DLC now after 1 year of nothing. Most players have moved on.

It'll almost certainly be a separate self-contained 2-3 hour experience (where you start from scratch), rather than a direct expansion within the main game, so I don't think it matters that people completed the main game a year ago.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It'll almost certainly be a separate self-contained 2-3 hour experience (where you start from scratch), rather than a direct expansion within the main game, so I don't think it matters that people completed the main game a year ago.
Yeah, I know. Just like the RE7 DLC - which more or less bombed, also because it was released loooong after the game released. Now it took even longer...

Releasing new DLC this long after a game released only makes sense if there was a steady flow of updates (see AC). But for Village there was nothing. People moved on. I have a hard to believing that a possible DLC would be profitable now.

Elios83

It's taking too long, people have moved on from the game.
Best strategy would be a self contained lengthy spinoff at this point.

Nautilus

Banned
Yeah, I know. Just like the RE7 DLC - which more or less bombed, also because it was released loooong after the game released. Now it took even longer...

Releasing new DLC this long after a game released only makes sense if there was a steady flow of updates (see AC). But for Village there was nothing. People moved on. I have a hard to believing that a possible DLC would be profitable now.
Bombed?Who said that?

What people don't get is that games now have wayyyy longer legs than they used to, especially Capcom games. RE 7 has been consistently selling 300 K every quarter.These kinds of DLC is to

1) Keep the interest going for longer, even years after release.

2)Add more value to the package, because later they can be sold countless times as legacy titles.

Castro27

Is Village worth a playthrough? I thought 7 was pretty decent, and the move to first person was a fantastic idea. There were bits that annoyed me but overall I was into it.
Village is pretty fun, especially if you enjoy RE4. The settings and overall atmosphere is pretty different from RE7 though.

Regarding the DLC, I'd really like they revamp Mercenaries as I thought is was pretty lackluster compared to RE4/5

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Resident evil can do no wrong, dlc is good for everyone and motivated people to get back into the series.

yurinka

I see Street Fighter 6 being announced at EVO, same event where Sony could also announce a fighting game studio acquisition, and where other fighting game announcements will be make (Tekken 8 and MK12 maybe).

Separated from that, I think Sony will make a summer PlayStation showcase where they will announce and show their exclusives for H2 2022 and 2023 (without PSVR2 games) and some key 3rd multi games with marketing deal. I'd bet they'll announce the RE Village DLC in this context because it had a marketing deal with Sony that affected its dlcs.

Last edited:

schaft0620

My guess: the DLC announcement is coming with the PS VR2 version and a re-release with the season pass and PS VR2 box art.

I still need to finish on Villiage of Shadows difficulty. Got to the Heisenburg boss fight and started to hit the wall and getting frustrated.

Wonder if they patched in the past 10 months to make it less cheesy in parts?

Color me interested in the dlc.

Kokoloko85

Is Village worth a playthrough? I thought 7 was pretty decent, and the move to first person was a fantastic idea. There were bits that annoyed me but overall I was into it.

I liked 7 but 8 is better.
7 is only better if you specifically want 1 enemy type and like the swampy hill billy type of atmosphere and setting

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm kinda done with nonstop following (unkillable) enemies. Gives me to much anxiety. Like for real. Hate that so much about myself because I really dig the series. And yes (I know) that means they're pulling it off instilling dread, anxiety and general unease etc

Strangely enough, Nemesis gave me more or less no issues. The hybrid spiders did tho...

Lol even that chained broad in remake made my ass sweaty. Lisa right?

Oh and jack was a straight up nightmare even without VR

Last edited:

Neff

I liked 7 a lot but Village is vastly superior imo. Better combat, far more gameplay variety, more fun to explore, more optional content, better story, and has more of that full Resident Evil entertainment package feeling. It's basically 7 but with a bigger budget and a huge injection of RE4's DNA.

The one aspect of 7 which beats Village I think is that it's more faithful to the classic style of gameplay since enemies don't drop ammo, and overall presents a more foreboding and gloomy atmosphere.

I liked 7 a lot but Village is vastly superior imo. Better combat, far more gameplay variety, more fun to explore, more optional content, better story, and has more of that full Resident Evil entertainment package feeling. It's basically 7 but with a bigger budget and a huge injection of RE4's DNA.

The one aspect of 7 which beats Village I think is that it's more faithful to the classic style of gameplay since enemies don't drop ammo, and overall presents a more foreboding and gloomy atmosphere.

Ok this intrigues me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's too late for DLC.
Nobody cares anymore.
if I wanted, I could just replay the main game. Jumping into dlc? nah
Well.... ok. I will bite depending on the package. Village was really great

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve been waiting for it. I finished Village on each difficulty back when it came out. I’ve been wanting to go back and play it again once it’s fresh in my mind. One of the best sequences was when you’re right out of the woods and you see this huge castle off in the distance.

I guess im the only one that was looking forward to RE Verse...that just randomly got forgotten about. It sounded like PS2 Outbreak concept. Hope they pick it up.

Top Bottom