• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why so little hype about Bloodstained ritual of the moon?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
This game is like a spiritual successor to Castlevania: Symphony of the night (maybe the best 2d action/rpg/platformer) ever.

I read gaming news regularly and until I purchased this game recently in a gaming sale, I have heard nothing about it. The game checks all the boxes:

-Good Graphics: Really slick art style.
-Tight Gameplay: 60fps silky smooth action
-RPG system: Level up with experience, reward players for fighting tough enemies
-Armor, weapon, magic system. Supports different build styles.
- Epic bosses and along with a rewarding since of progression.

I loved Castlevania: SOTN and always hoped for a remake. If you are like me, Bloodstained is it. Amazing game and would like to spread some love on it.

Actually, it's Ritual of the Night.

The 8-Bit spin-off is Curse of the Moon.

I can only speak for myself but I'm extremely hyped. Castlevania is one of my all-time favorite series and I love Iga and his style.

I own all three Bloodstained games and thoroughly enjoy my playthrough of Ritual of the Night. It was my first Nintendo Switch purchase.

I can't wait for the sequel.

The only issue I have is I hate all the stupid crossover stuff they're doing and wish they would just move on to other things.

Comandr

Igarashi is incredible. Putting that to the side, I dislike the aesthetic of the new game. Castlevania, as a franchise, has such a beautiful setting, so many interesting characters and designs. While I loved RoTN, it was really a shame that Igarashi lost access to all of the incredible assets, stories, and art that Castlevania afforded. Here's a 22 part series on youtube about how amazing SoTN is.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This came out three years ago, fun game.
I enjoyed it enough to 100% it. (not every achievement)
Plus as you mention this game, where the hell is the co op mode?!

And the curse of the moon games are really nice too.

. . .exactly. I played the everloving shit out of the game when it released, despite not really liking games of this style. The trailer where it had all the STEAM moaning about the look of the game and the developer sitting at the table with a droll look on his face before he says something like "I'll show them!" is one of the best trailers ever.

Long story short: this game for SURE did not get overlooked when it released.

It was in the news for years... as it was crowd funded and took years to develop. It even has two 8-bit spin off games (I prefer them). I have no idea how you could have possibly missed this.

I loved Castlevania: SOTN and always hoped for a remake. If you are like me, Bloodstained is it. Amazing game and would like to spread some love on it.
This is exactly how I feel.

Symphony of the Night is one of the best games ever made and actually might be the best game ever made.

I really hope that this series becomes a franchise and we get plenty of sequels and spin-offs.

I want to take this opportunity too, to mention that I would love to see a Bloodstained game with gameplay similar to Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

What I mean by this is an overworld you can explore with towns and dungeons along the way.

So you have this labyrinthine outdoor areas with towns and dungeons here and there.

I don't care if they do this with a Ritual of the Night sequel or one that's like the 8-Bit spin-off.

The other Castlevania game that was similar to that was Curse of Darkness. That was another Castlevania game I really loved.

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Why is there so little hype for Super Mario 64? I have heard nothing about it recently.

Complete thread derailment but SM64 reentered my headspace thanks to this little gem:

I dare anyone to watch that (preferably after a gummie or three) and not be riveted.

we want a new SOTN with alucard
There's Orlok Dracule in Ritual of the Night who sort of fulfills that role.

I hope he becomes playable in one of the upcoming games.

Actually, there's also a character called Alfred who in the spin-off games is very similar to Alucard when it comes to his abilities.

. . .exactly. I played the everloving shit out of the game when it released, despite not really liking games of this style. The trailer where it had all the STEAM moaning about the look of the game and the developer sitting at the table with a droll look on his face before he says something like "I'll show them!" is one of the best trailers ever.

Long story short: this game for SURE did not get overlooked when it released.
To an extent I actually agreed about the background graphics. At times it's a bit garish and busy looking.

I would love if they kind of went to a 16 or 32-bit style. Something that looks like Symphony of the Night.

Last edited:
Why is there no hype over a game that released years ago? Maybe the hundreds of games released since then?

Bloodstained was really good. Not, "talk about for 3 years straight" good. But, good.

I love this thread.

I wanted to mention something else.

Another cool aspect of the game is the puzzles. There's actual puzzles where they just don't hold your hand and you actually have to figure them out for yourself.

One good examples....

There's a fountain and pool of blood. There's a secret passage underneath it but in order to access it you have to use an ability you acquire that sucks up the blood of enemies that you kill. Anyways, for this you use that ability so you suck up the blood from the fountain and pool. The game does not tell you to do this. You have to figure it out for yourself.

There's very few games like this where you have puzzles that you actually have to use your head and it's not just spelled out for you in the game.

I would definitely say Bloodstained is my favorite new IP without a doubt. The only other new IP that I could think of that I really like is Darksiders.

Last edited:
Curse of the Moon was great.

I recently tried to play Ritual of the Night on the Switch and bounced off of it really hard. Didn't like a bunch of the systems, performance was terrible, something felt off with the controls, and holy shit the loading times.
I don't really have much issue. I played through the game and I think I have 100% completion and this is on the Nintendo Switch Lite.

The loading time at the beginning I agree is a bit long but overall I haven't had much issue. I've experienced some slow down but not too much where it got in the way.

Again, maybe it's different when playing it on a television because I've only ever played it on light as that is the only Switch I have.

Ceadeus

One of my favorite game ever..

I backed the project day one as a igavania fan but also huge Castlevania fan.

It's so good that it ruined gaming for me for months.

Igarashi NEEDS to tell us his next project, it's unfair by now.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why would there be "hype" for it three years after it released? I remember there being a lot of talk about it back then.

Astral Dog

For some reason it didn't click with me, its probably my least favorite IGAvania(counting CotM), the enemy design, visuals, animation, characters aren't as charming as the 2D Castlevanias.

Still a good game but not what i was hoping for.

It was fun but somehow it felt like a cheap Castlevania ripoff despite being created by Igarashi himself. It was the clunky and slow gameplay compared to the original series, and the completely bizarre decision to gate your progression through random drops in a couple spots.

It was ok. To be honest, the gratuitous sprinkling of kickstarter shit in the game kind of detracted from the experience. Seeing portraits of peoples’ cats and fat asses got kind of eye-rolling after awhile.
I kind of agree with this statement. I think my only other issue with this game that I can think of is there's a bit too much silliness in here. I kind of wish they tone down the sillingness. I know Castlevania had stuff like this but it was a little bit more serious. They kind of got a little bit too goofy with this at times.

Played it, loved it.
Hoping ROTN 2 happens.
From what I read it, it's in pre-production.

They said that before they start work on it they want to get out all the DLC stuff for Ritual of the Night.

I think that's stupid though because a lot of that is so unnecessary and I don't really like all the crossovers they're doing. As much as I love this series that's one of my only complaints about it. Enough with the characters from other games. They've already crossed over like almost a half dozen games and I really want this game to be unique and focus on being its own world and not having some character from Blasphemy or whatever showing up.

I know it is petty, but I'm a big sucker for lore and world building and I think having all these stupid crossovers takes away from that.

The_hunter

I felt the last two zones were rushed, the graphics can be either great, or terrible. The cooking and quest systems were bad. Overall fun game due to the game direction. Music was amazing.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Symphony of the Night is one of the best games ever made and actually might be the best game ever made.

I really hope that this series becomes a franchise and we get plenty of sequels and spin-offs.

I want to take this opportunity too, to mention that I would love to see a Bloodstained game with gameplay similar to Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

What I mean by this is an overworld you can explore with towns and dungeons along the way.

So you have this labyrinthine outdoor areas with towns and dungeons here and there.

I don't care if they do this with a Ritual of the Night sequel or one that's like the 8-Bit spin-off.

The other Castlevania game that was similar to that was Curse of Darkness. That was another Castlevania game I really loved.
they kind of tried that route with Order of Ecclesia! By letting the player roaming the surrounding of the castle before going through, the main course of the game, the castle itself! How cool was that. I think it was a great hommage to Super Castlevania IV , where you to go through several level before entering Dracula's Castle. I really, really do miss Castlevania. Sorry for my english.

edit: wow, member since 2008, wtf.. you have to be one of the older gaf member?!

Last edited:
they kind of tried that route with Order of Ecclesia! By letting the player roaming the surrounding of the castle before going through, the main course of the game, the castle itself! How cool was that. I think it was a great hommage to Super Castlevania IV , where you to go through several level before entering Dracula's Castle. I really, really do miss Castlevania. Sorry for my english.

edit: wow, member since 2008, wtf.. you have to be one of the older gaf member?!
I didn't realize that about Ecclesia but from what I'm seeing it's not exactly what I'm referring to.

I'm really thinking more on the lines of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Curse of Darkness and in some ways the Legend of Zelda: The Adventure of Link but of course 2D platforming and not a top-down overworld.

And yeah I'm a pretty old member. However in late 2014, I stayed away from here because of a certain very controversial gaming movement that ends with the word "-gate" and I didn't want to get banned from here so I was away for a few years up until around 2019. In fact I was very close to getting a permban here in late 2014 due to me mentioning that I was neutral / somewhat supportive of it....

I'll leave it at that.....

Edit: actually, I might not be that against a top down over world to explore. But I think it would be better kept 2D like Simon's Quest.

Last edited:

Have you tried Infernax? What did you think of it?

cireza

Banned
Game was fine, not great in my opinion. Will give it another try.

Both Curse of the Moon games were fantastic though. Must play.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It was fun but somehow it felt like a cheap Castlevania ripoff despite being created by Igarashi himself. It was the clunky and slow gameplay compared to the original series, and the completely bizarre decision to gate your progression through random drops in a couple spots.
This.
Everything in the game feels derivative, the difficulty is poorly balanced, and most weapons are useless when spamming a couple spells will literally take you through all of the game.

Most of the stuff feels like they went “This was in a Castlevania game, we HAVE to reuse it somewhere, no matter where!”.

Top Bottom