• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why so many YT ads when playing on TV?

I mostly watch YouTube on my computer or cellphone if im chilling in bed bit every once in a while i remember i have a huge TV and a PS5 connected to it. So since last week i decided to make more use of that and the ads are driving me insane!

This has nothing to do with the user themselves putting ad spots on their videos. For example i can watch a 1 hr video on my computer and id get maybe 3 ads throughout. But on TV im getting them every 3 minutes. Its nuts. And when i want to fast-forward a video, as soon as i let go, ot goes automatically into those unskippable ads, mostly 2 in a row.

Im using the same account but this is completely unwatchable. How can there be more ads triggered while watching on TV through a console versus on a computer??? Im just baffled.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Weird. Have you tried playing YouTube on TV not through you PS5, but through you mobile phone?

I have an LG CX and it's the easiest stuff. I think I never had to configure anything, just having both the TV and the mobile phone on the same wi-fi seems to do the trick.

I dunno if this'll help, but I guess it's worth a try.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Never saw the scenario you described. Are you watching youtube through the PS5 or the TV itself? You can always pay to go ad-free.

I would also sign into an account before watching and see if the ads go away.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm seriously considering getting YT Premuim just to get rid of the ads on TV, you spend more time on ads than actual content nowadays - you get two ads before the clip even starts, you fast forward you get another ad, you change the movie you get ads again, since like a month or two it really became unbearable, unwatchable.

Zeroing

Banned
Here in Portugal is happening the same, Youtube ads every 10 mins in every videos using the app on TV, on PS5, Mac ... they are also driving me insane so I am now using Brave browser on my Mac... NO ADS finally.
I'm seriously considering getting YT Premuim just to get rid of the ads on TV, you spend more time on ads than actual content nowadays - you get two ads before the clip even starts, you fast forward you get another ad, you change the movie you get ads again, since like a month or two it really became unbearable, unwatchable.
I stopped using YouTube for TV. Do not fall for it. They will win. Also if you are using Google DNS stop using it they would put even more ads.
It's to get you to subscribe.

Any recommended APKs that work with your sign in still out there?
There was a trick and an app for mobile but Google destroyed those. These ads are even worse and longer than on normal cable TV channels in Portugal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Buy Premium. You'll never EVER look back
I Dont Think So No Way GIF by FTX_Official

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
They already make money off of you, the least they can do is give you the option to not be bombarded as a reward. But no, not even a reach around.

I just hate commercials with a passion. Also one of the main reasons I stopped watching TV 20 years ago. They'll get my info anyways.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
youtube is getting worse by the day. the ads are way out of hand.

i'm getting ads when opening the YT app on my TV. soon as i start a video there are 2 ads and then an ad or 2 every so often during it.

on PC i don't have ads because i block them all but on my phone/tablet/tv it's a nightmare and i seriously wish i could stop using it and i find myself not using it as much now. i'm not paying the £12/month just to get rid of them.

Buy Premium. You'll never EVER look back
£12/month. no thanks. that's more expensive than what i pay for my phone data, spotify, ps+, gamepass, etc. £12 just to not get ads? fuck off lol

if they offered an option without YT music then maybe if it was like £4-5/month.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just hate commercials with a passion. Also one of the main reasons I stopped watching TV 20 years ago. They'll get my info anyways.
Yeah, I have not watched cable TV in about that time as well. I should not have been lazy on the APK train. I will have to hunt one down and see if it will still work installing on the TV.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah, I have not watched cable TV in about that time as well. I should not have been lazy on the APK train. I will have to hunt one down and see if it will still work installing on the TV.

APK⁷
you must not play games much then :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I mean docs and stuff when waking up with some nice coffee and before sleepytime you cheeky you =P Just so much entertaining and game related tutorials

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don’t know about TV but it’s insufferable on mobile devices too. Every single fucking video starts with two 15 second ads. And sometimes you can skip them by closing out and reloading the video but it goes to two 6 seconds ads instead. Sometimes you can’t skip them. And that’s not to mention the ads throughout the video on top of that. I refuse to watch a video on my phone or tablet where it’s like 2 minutes long but requires two 15 second ads to start. I just won’t watch it, it’s absurd.

It’s definitely changed my time on that platform and I can’t imagine I’m alone.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just today i got a 30 second ad for a 6 second video :messenger_tears_of_joy: it took about 5 seconds to let me skip it. i almost spent more time watching an ad than video. i've even seen some ads that last 20+ minutes (obv you can skip). that shouldn't be allowed.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
I let my yt premium sub lapse for a week after having it for a year. That week was the most painful yt watching experience ever. Videos are drowning in ads. I shit you not one video had those 2 unskippable ads breaks every 3 minutes. And it was a 50 min or so vid. Excrutiating experience.

Thankfully I am loaded up on a yearly 17€ indian sub again.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I've had YouTube Premium for like 6+ months now. I watch too much youtube. I feel like it's hurting my attention span. I'm considering letting premium lapse. I almost never watch shows anymore, just 5-15 minute clips on youtube. Sitting through a movie is painful unless it's something I'm really into.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Because fuck you give me money.
i'd be happy to pay to get rid of them but currently that would cost me £11.99/month. i have no interest in YT music because i have spotify. i don't care about downloading videos for offline. i suppose background play would be cool but i'm not sure i'd use it a lot. so that only really leaves ad free viewing. if Google would offer a sub for just for ad free/background play then i'd sign up if it was £4-6/month. i heard they were testing it in some countires but it's not an option here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've had YouTube Premium for like 6+ months now. I watch too much youtube. I feel like it's hurting my attention span. I'm considering letting premium lapse. I almost never watch shows anymore, just 5-15 minute clips on youtube. Sitting through a movie is painful unless it's something I'm really into.
Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to let that lapse.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
OP I feel you - they HAVE definitely gotten worse - I try to make it better by going back and forth on the videos on my playlist because eventually the ad goes away - but by then - I've spent at least 5-10 seconds trying to get rid of the ad anyway...

I think what's even worse however is this complete garbage:

BwjFklm.png

The playlist on the right appearing on mobile as you watch your videos. It automatically appears - squeezing your viewing screen and it INTENTIONALLY (I KNOW IT'S INTENTIONAL) appears a split second afterwards so you're more likely to accidentally click on another video (thus more ads)

MilkLizard

If you´re watching on Android TV you could install SmartTubeNext which gets rid of Ads and also has Sponsorblock build in. Another option is turning your VPN to Argentina and sign up for Youtube Premium for less than $1 per month, which is what I did.

Zeroing

Banned
If you´re watching on Android TV you could install SmartTubeNext which gets rid of Ads and also has Sponsorblock build in. Another option is turning your VPN to Argentina and sign up for Youtube Premium for less than $1 per month, which is what I did.
I ain't giving more money to Google, they already make a fortune of my data and everyone's, they should be paying us!

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Are you feeling burnout? sad? anxious? I know you did not ask my advice but get out of social media, tv etc. focus on walks, hobbies, sightseeing.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Are you feeling burnout? sad? anxious? I know you did not ask my advice but get out of social media, tv etc. focus on walks, hobbies, sightseeing.
No more than my usual amount. I have been hitting the gym for about a month now. I am also in the process of changing jobs which is a bit stressful.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'll take a look. Thanks for your advice (btw I do not like using remote controls for search inputs)

Tarnished

The ads were absolutely insane on iOs, it was literally every 2 minutes. Quick VPN to India and I had 3 years worth of Premium for less than a months.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Been watching YouTube exclusively on console since the PS3. You'll get a couple of 15 second ads that you can typically skip after 5 seconds maybe three times for an hour long video. I dunno. It's a bit obnoxious, especially when I have the controller set down somewhere and I'm eating and it becomes a game of "do I want to skip this ad and run the risk of dropping all my shit on the floor, or do I want to resign myself to spending half of my meal watching Burger King or Purdue University ads?" Actually, yeah, this is a bitch and I hate it. Thanks, OP.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Youtube ads are intolerable on every platform I've used it on. I just suck it up and pay for the subscription considering how much youtube I watch.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Youtube premium family plan. I share with four others. Effectively amounts to $3/month per person. We all also get to use Youtube Music.

$3/month for no ads. Chump change.

LMAO you guys are just noticing now? 😂

Since I'm now a Spotify subscriber, I rarely use YouTube anymore. But my primary use of YouTube was for music, on my phone. Sometimes hard-to-find video game soundtracks, and the like. Or live concerts.

Anyway, about 2-3 years ago those fuckers started playing ads ALL THE TIME. Two ads minimum to even get into the content proper, then for longer content, an ad or two in between. If you listened to playlists (like I often did), they'd start inserting ads between every two songs; some of the worse playlists did it between EVERY song. (That's what eventually drove me to Spotify).

They're spectacularly shitty ads, too. Usually some generic "cool sounding" bass line where they don't even say any words about the product they're advertising. It's just the same generic sounding bass line, with the same Gen Z assholes doing generic "look at me I'm being so cool" things 😂.

I have not seen a SINGLE ad that has made me think "oh yeah, I'm interested in buying that product now."

nemiroff

Gold Member
I got Premium three or more years ago and never looked back. I don't get how people are able to cope with being interrupted by ads all the time , it's torture.

Zeroing

Banned
Youtube ads are intolerable on every platform I've used it on. I just suck it up and pay for the subscription considering how much youtube I watch.
Youtube premium family plan. I share with four others. Effectively amounts to $3/month per person. We all also get to use Youtube Music.

$3/month for no ads. Chump change.
I got Premium three or more years ago and never looked back. I don't get how people are able to cope with being interrupted by ads all the time , it's torture.
If nobody sub to premium, Google would had given up with the ads because people would complain more and some people would stop using it thus also the creator would complain about.
They (Google) was happy for many years having youtube with small banner ads and giving insane amounts of money to famous channels.

Is Google getting poor? Does Premium magically makes the content on youtube better?
Nah, Google does not deserve our money. They are selling our data for brands, they put ads...amazing business, specially since people sub and they still sell your data.

Top Bottom