• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sumo Wrestling is a bit more interesting than usual this week...

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

Pretty interesting documentary I just watched, goes a little bit into the background of sumo, training, food, etc. They even have simps!

Is there a schedule for the upcoming matches/tournaments? The one thing I hate about pretty much EVERY MMA/boxing promotion is it's nearly impossible to find actual fight times for prelims. Almost every website lists just the main card starting time. Then you gotta find some random youtube "Journalist" who can confirm fight start times. Is that an issue with these tournaments? Am I gonna miss like 8 fights because the Japanese version of Dana White cucked the promotion so they'd stop using Facebook for their prelims and not Fightpass? *cough* LFA 112

The teenage girl is totally going to end up marrying a wrestler.

Tschumi

hahaha that's alright

im an occasional watcher, mostly following tochinoshin because i found out a european was at the highest level and got me interested
He's been a great story, for sure. We've gone over his bad luck enough though haha.. i also feel for Takayasu, he got to Ozeki and got tons of good natured support because he's half Filipino, he even had little gold tabs stuck to the ends of his mawashi, but he must have a niggle too because he's dropped down the rankings again.. it's a shame, he's a pretty reliable rikishi

Tschumi

Juryo Takagenji has admitted the use of cannabis, good bye career.
I think he made it into the top division a few times, suuuucks brah... it was probably helping him deal with chronic agony lol

Tschumi

punching is illegal but an elbow isn't? (or is it punching the ear?)
It's legal, otherwise they would have called for a do-over, that's all the confirmation you need... He used the side of his elbow.. if it helps though, he's since been told off for the pugilistic way he went about the fight.

I dunno, as I've said, Terunofuji could have stuck to his game plan instead of getting drawn into a slapping war, hakuho did what he had to do to negate the part of the fight in which they would be chest to chest, he didn't engage with that - which Terunofuji surely would have won - until he already had Terunofuji flustered with his face attacks.

Raven117

Gold Member
It's legal, otherwise they would have called for a do-over, that's all the confirmation you need... He used the side of his elbow.. if it helps though, he's since been told off for the pugilistic way he went about the fight.

I dunno, as I've said, Terunofuji could have stuck to his game plan instead of getting drawn into a slapping war, hakuho did what he had to do to negate the part of the fight in which they would be chest to chest, he didn't engage with that - which Terunofuji surely would have won - until he already had Terunofuji flustered with his face attacks.
I mean, that’s not always clear with respect to rules of the game.

Just seems funny you can elbow but not punch.

Tschumi

I mean, that’s not always clear with respect to rules of the game.

Just seems funny you can elbow but not punch.
It's not like he jackhammered the point of his elbow into Terunofuji though, it was more like a low shoulder charge lol

Tschumi

The JSA hates Hakuho lol.

They’re not going to let him keep his ring name.
Why don't they hate on someone who hasn't supercharged the sport's popularity and set records across the board?

I mean, I live here, and to me this just seems like another one of those instances where a rapidly ageing breed of 1960s-80s salarymen is finally getting to high ranking positions and inflicting their colossal social issues on other generations out of sheer bloodymindedness :p

....Like that duckfucker (spontaneous, non-racial epithet) who was leading the olympics board, Mori, who looked like he needed help to use the toilet but still thought he knew how to head up a athletics organization and keep women in their place...

./rant

Tschumi

For the record, Hakuho ain't my favourite, and back in the day I really wanted Yokozuna like Harumafuji to beat him when the chips were down, but he's the last man standing and he just showed a banzuke - that saw a bunch of different winners before Terunofuji's purple (and Yokozuna-free) patch took over - what a yokozuna looks like... the guy is a sumo institution, and this just seems racist and/or elitist.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Watching the cute kids singing in this youtube alongside wifey and I notice a former rikishi from Hawaii named Konishiki is moonlighting as a cast member on this awesome kid's show :p

(song in question starts around 7:48)

25796fb87f6ea121e08ad117a8704273.jpg

Last edited:

dave_d

Watching the cute kids singing in this youtube alongside wifey and I notice a former rikishi from Hawaii named Konishiki is moonlighting as a cast member on this awesome kid's show :p

(song in question starts around 7:48)

25796fb87f6ea121e08ad117a8704273.jpg

Hey, it's the guy I was talking about. The one where the other sumo wrestlers tell him "Hey, you gotta lose some weight." (Which I think actually happened if I remember right.)

Tschumi

Hey, it's the guy I was talking about. The one where the other sumo wrestlers tell him "Hey, you gotta lose some weight." (Which I think actually happened if I remember right.)
Haha well he's slimmed down post sumo, though the suit he wears in the video is a bit spherical...

EDIT: Apparently the dude in the chicken suit is hugely famous lol, so said BAE

Last edited:
Top Bottom