• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the Nintendo GameCube is Awesome - Retail Reviews

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

On this episode of Retail Reviews, Mike and Ryan discuss Nintendo's GameCube and a few of its stand out games. The Nintendo GameCube is a home video game console released by Nintendo in Japan and North America in 2001 and in PAL territories in 2002. The GameCube is Nintendo's entry in the sixth generation of video game consoles and is the successor to their previous console, the Nintendo 64. The GameCube competed with Sony's PlayStation 2 and Microsoft's Xbox. The GameCube is the first Nintendo console to use optical discs as its primary storage medium. The discs are in a miniDVD-based format but the system was not designed to play full-sized DVDs or audio CDs unlike its competitors, and mainly focused on gaming instead. The console supports limited online gaming as well.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Gamecube had Lugia Mansion, which means it have us this:

14a.jpg

So it's alright in my book.

im an 80s kid that owned all nintendo consoles except the wii(s)

gamecube was my fav nintendo machine till switch

people romanticize the snes, it was fine :p

Last edited:
The Gamecube only mistake was having them mini disc if they had used regular disc like the PS2 and OG Xbox they would have gotten many more 3rd party ports like GTA.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Not only was it a great system, GameCube was at just the right time and place in my life to be truly special to me. I have so many wonderful memories of... maybe being a little too obsessed, lol, but having an amazing time with it, and also the culture of Nintendo fandom at the time.

And the games. I don’t know if it’s my bias, but GameCube games felt more fantastical than ever. You have this amazing storybook adventure in Wind Waker, Metroid Prime’s gorgeously alien planet, Super Mario Sunshine’s incredibly memorable vacation hotspot, Luigi’s Mansion’s whole deal, and on and on.

The games were sometimes less polished than we expect from Nintendo, and people like to not talk about that, lol, but on the whole, there was so much wonderful, escapist gaming.

it was $200 ffs...it had SMB and waverace near launch...fzero, wind waker, metroid prime?...viewtiful joe, re4 and even better REmake?...smash brothers

PSO ep2 with broadband adapter ?

i even played mario kart through vpn tunnel

and it's a purple cube..a $199 gamecube :) <3

Last edited:
no real dot3, but check out the S3 texture compression in timesplitters2...even to this day, in 'modern' engines, you walk up to vaseline walls...not gamecube

oh yeah, it also made goldeneye64 its bitch

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
it was $200 ffs...it had SMB and waverace near launch...fzero, wind waker, metroid prime?...viewtiful joe, re4 and even better REmake?...smash brothers

PSO ep2 with broadband adapter ?

i even played mario kart through vpn tunnel

and it's a purple cube..a $199 gamecube :) <3

Offering better graphics than one competitor, and being competitive with the other, for $100 less, is a feat that’s not talked about nearly enough.

The fact that you could get one of these for $99 a few years in, and enjoy so many wonderful games, was just awesome. You don’t see that anymore.

GameCube GameCube also received the only port to my favorite game of all time, Skies of Arcadia, so the console not only had great first-party games but great third-party games as well. I also really liked its small, cube-shaped design, how you could easily carry it around, and the unique controller - an improvement over the Nintendo 64 Nintendo 64 's awkward three-pronged controller.

Top Bottom